VGA vs. Component cables

jpuma1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
ok, i've seen bits and pieces here and there, but i got tired of looking around, so i figured i might just pose the question:

WHICH IS BETTER? VGA or Component Cables???

My tv: Samsung Ln-S4095D 40" 1080p lcd.

I read stuff here and there that the you can get full 1080p support for everything over vga, so i picked up the Dragon vga cables on play-asia. i figured i'd just prepare myself for if i ever got an hd-dvd player, and also, if they released the new 360 with HDMI support, i'd have no need because the VGA cables would output in full 1080p anyway.

i was very surprised see that everything over the vga cables were not as crisp as on component. i set it to full resolution of 1980x1280 in the settings, and everything looks more washed out over vga, and as other people have said, darker in general. dvd playback was also slightly blurrier. i played Ice Age, and there was definitely a difference. Over VGA, the animal fur was kinda blurry, whereas over Component, individual hairs could be seen. i had expected things over vga to look at least slightly better, esp. since people have been saying the 360 is an upconverting dvd player.

For fight night round 3, i did notice that there were less jaggys in the face area in between rounds, but overall also a little more washed out and blurry. over component, everything is brighter and more crisp, and the darks are darker.

Is it just me? Am i doing something wrong with the settings? is it my TV settings? do i need to buy the microsoft brand cables?

I dont think it is your tv, a couple of my friends have had the same problem over vga. It seems like some tvs can handle the vga with no problem but some have washed out colors. Your best bet is to just use the component cables.

I must be lucky or something, because I have my 360 set up with VGA on a Westinghouse 32w6, and I think it looks awesome. I do have the official M$ VGA cables, though ...

[quote name='lyric706']I must be lucky or something, because I have my 360 set up with VGA on a Westinghouse 32w6, and I think it looks awesome. I do have the official M$ VGA cables, though ...[/QUOTE]

Same here... I've got VGA on my Samsung 21" LCD and it looks amazing. I've also got the official MS ones.

There was an article on Digg about how to fix the washed out color problem on some Samsung and Dell monitors... so I guess that's probably what the issue is.

It looks amazing on my 21" Samsung LCD as well.

[quote name='lyric706']I must be lucky or something, because I have my 360 set up with VGA on a Westinghouse 32w6, and I think it looks awesome. I do have the official M$ VGA cables, though ...[/QUOTE]

I have the same Westinghouse, and now I'm hooked up through components...how much of a difference is the VGA? Is it worth the price of the VGA cables?

hmmm, i guess i'll try out the washed out fix on digg.

another question i have: for dvd movies, do they look noticably better than 480p over vga cables?

i'm also wondering now whether the official ms cables make a difference

[quote name='jpuma1']
another question i have: for dvd movies, do they look noticably better than 480p over vga cables?[/QUOTE]

Yes, alot better, because VGA cables upscale DVD's.

bread's done
Back