Video Card fan won't spin!

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Ok two days ago I noticed that my system would not boot when I came back from work. In the morning it was fine but after that , no go. It would power up, then shut down, then power back up and so on. No POST.. Checked the connections and so on and eventually I learned that the video card fan (EVGA 260gtx) won't spin anymore! Checked the memory (put only in one stick), reseated the card , took out the sound card, unplugged every hard drive and optical drive and still the card's fan would not spin.

Went out and bought another similar card (slower clock speed) and found out that the new card's fan won't spin either.

Nothing has been added/removed/upgraded since I built the system last year from new egg. It's been working fine. Some people think it's the PSU, Memory or the mother board but after going thru each of the parts, I am pretty sure it's the motherboard's pci-x slot is shot to hell since it won't spin the new video card's fan.

The motherboard is the asus p5q deluxe and the video card is the evga 260gtx.

Newegg was kind enough to do an rma but I have to find the box for it! :(

Man, I've never seen that before. Unless you were going to try to pin-out test each circuit on the PCI E slot (no thanks), then swapping the board seems like the only thing to do. I could guess that a switch or transistor that controls the slotted fan power circuit popped on the board. Is there no option for an additional power cable on that card?

Are your other fans spinning? I had some defective tri-speed case fans that refused to spin at the slow setting, and if the didn't spin, somehow my video card wouldn't receive enough power, resulting in no video card fan spinning and no POST. I could set them on medium and everything would be fine.

Your video card is probably fine; it won't spin up (or turn on your monitor) until a bit later in the POST process.

I don't know the details of your motherboard, but what you need to do is clear the CMOS (BIOS) chip so it loads defaults and hopefully fires up.

Unplug the power cord, remove the battery from the mb, and clear the cmos using a jumper on the mb. Alternatively, if you're feeling lucky, pull out the BIOS chip from it's socket and plug it back in. (I've had to do this when nothing else worked.) You'll want everything unplugged during that operation as well.

Once you put it all back together, try to turn it on. You'll most likely get some BIOS errors because it's back to default settings, but those can all be reset easily enough. For the first time firing up, you may have better luck if you only plug in the necessary components (video card, hard drive, one stick of memory). Unplug any additional cards and USB devices.

Good luck.

bread's done
Back