Video card help please

FaintDeftone

CAGiversary!
I picked up a new computer last week. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 2.20ghz
1024mb RAM
128mb Nvidia on-board video (stealing 128mb ram from my system)
PCI-E slot

The current on-board video is pretty damn impressive. It runs HL2 on high-medium settings, runs F.E.A.R. on low-medium settings, runs WoW on high-medium settings, and runs everything else I've bought (C&C Generals, Warcraft 3, Call of Duty 1) just fine.

The main reason I want a video card is so I can not only free up my system memory that the video takes away, but to also run all of those named games on the highest settings. I wouldn't mind getting into Battlefield 2 as well.

So what video card would be good for my system that would accomplish this? Thanks for any input.

It wouldn't be worth getting anything less than a 6800GS/GT or X800, which offer the best bang for the buck right now at ~$180 on sale. If you want to continue playing the newest games in the future (and your PSU can support it), you can't go wrong with a 7800, but that will run you a minimum of $300.

I have an eVGA 7800 GT. I dig it. I bought it when I got the free motherboard with it, and it had a 40 dollar rebate. eVGA also has this trade-up policy - if, after 90 days, you'd like to buy a better video card from them, you can trade in your card and get a new one for the price difference between the two, I believe.

bread's done
Back