Video card help

v1et r1ce

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
College is coming up and I'm looking into buying a new desktop. Right now, dell has a pretty good system for about $400.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...&oc=bv2mvk13&s=bsd&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378

The RAM is upgradable so I might add a few more gigs. The one problem I found is the video card is integrated. I was thinking about just buying a video card separately and adding it in. Then I read that this desktop's power supply is 300w, meaning I will be limited in what card I decide to buy.

What I need help with is, whats the best video card that's compatible with this system? I've read that the Radeon 4760 is one of the best I could do. Anyone know if there is one better or would this do. Would the Radeon HD 4670 be out of the question?

Also, does anyone see any other weaknesses with this build?

I ahould also mention that I don't plan on playing games like Crysis. I only need a decent system that could play a few lower end MMOs and maybe Starcraft 2? I know the system requirements aren't announced yet for it, but I heard it won't require a high end PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
For about $150 you can get an ATI 4850 512MB. Very good card. For about $100 you can get the 4670 512MB. It's good for the budget systems. I'd recommend you get the 4850, I think it would compliment that system better and give you a bit more longevity. It's a very sensible buy.

i would buy this Thermaltake Power Supply 430 watts its $31 after $10 rebate. i put one in my brothers computer it can push a pair of 7800gt(s).

Almost all of the prebuilt pcs come with shitty a PSU, so the upgrade would probably be worth it in the long run.

Balls Indeed LOL

Very true sir but if i can run 7800gt SLI w aftermarket coolers & 180 Opteron
i think it will be ok it depend on how much he is running.

BTW Most baseline 4850's requires a 6-pin with 75 watts not sure about the amps.

[quote name='Gspoon']Balls Indeed LOL

Very true sir but if i can run 7800gt SLI w aftermarket coolers & 180 Opteron
i think it will be ok it depend on how much he is running.

BTW Most baseline 4850's requires a 6-pin with 75 watts not sure about the amps.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't referring to you, you've got the right idea!

People just like to suggest for overkill supreme psu's like, oh man you'll need a 750w to run that hurrderrhurr.

I also mean to say that you shouldn't immediately dismiss that 300w psu based solely on its wattage to the op. If you take the time to calculate how much power your components are going to draw and have a fair bit over that you'll save yourself some money.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I wasn't referring to you, you've got the right idea!

People just like to suggest for overkill supreme psu's like, oh man you'll need a 750w to run that hurrderrhurr.

I also mean to say that you shouldn't immediately dismiss that 300w psu based solely on its wattage to the op. If you take the time to calculate how much power your components are going to draw and have a fair bit over that you'll save yourself some money.[/quote]

oh oops

but yes i totally agree their are a few power calculators online that will at the least give you a ballpark calculation.the size psu (watts & amps) that you need in order to run your system is usually lower than most people think.

i still cant believe someone would actually buy a 1200 watt psu i guess if you had to run a Dual socketboard, 8x 15,000rpm SCSI, Tri SLI, 16Gb ram,a mini fridge and toaster oven it would be just enough. LOL :lol: add Crapper and you never have to get up !!:D

bread's done
Back