Video Card Question - DOA?

tokitoki50

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I just put together a new build after being out of the PC scene for about 5 years. Anyways, I ordered a MSI ATI Raedon 4850 for my build, and when I plugged it in to my PCIe slot I realized it only had DVI ports, and I didn't have a DVI cable with me (My monitor supports it and I have one, it just happens to be in storage at my parents house 45 minutes away). Luckily it came with a DVI-VGA adapter.

So I plug it in, turn on the PC and I get these big red dots and lines all over the screen. I think to myself "Well maybe it's just the adapter screwing up" so I go ahead and install the drivers and that goes smoothly enough, and I figure I'd run the catalyst controls on it and take a looksy at the 3D performance options.

I head on over to that and the screen freaks out, goes black, and my monitor pops up with the "No signal" message. I shut off the computer and try to turn it back on, but to no avail, the system just hangs with the video card plugged in now.

Now I think I already know the answer, but I just want someone to confirm it to me. The card is dead right? A DVI-VGA adapter can't cause all that trouble right?

Here are my build specs, in case that might matter:

-AMD Phenom II 920 x4
-ASUS M3N72-D Mobo
-4GB OCZ RAM
-1 20x LG DVD/CD Burner
-250 gig Seagate HD
-550 Watt PSU
-RaidMax Case (the model name eludes me, but it seems to have really solid airflow)

my guess it what you concluded. It's possible the monitor might have been all screwed up but if it's on and giving you the 'no signal' message, then that can't be the case.

So i would say that your video card is just DOA. Just to be sure, i would get that DVI cable (or just order a new one, monitors usually come with cables too) and hook it up to make sure it's not the adapter. Hell, it might even be your current VGA cable. Still, my guess lies in your dead video card. Good luck!

IT depends on the monitor's design. Chances are you're hosed but some crappy monitors don't give useful messages when given a signal they cannot use. For instance, if you're exceeding VGA bandwidth trying to drive a high resolution or a resolution/scan rate combo that does the same. Some monitors will display an 'out of range' message while others just give a black screen with no hints.

Open it up and press firmly on the front and rear edges of the card. I've more than once thought that I had a card or memory stick seated when I didn't. Beyond that yeah the card must be smoked.

i have a ati 4870x2 and a ati 4670 and both ati products are top notch i have hear of problems with the 4850 but not too many

With my 4870x2 (when i built the computer) i used the dvi to hdmi adpater because i could not find my dvi to dvi cable and it looked so wierd and as soon as i found my cable in my closet the dvi to dvi cable works 100%

I say get the dvi cable adapters on graphic cards are not really the best thing

[quote name='crystalklear64']probably not, actually

these cards are known to do this sort of thing if you had looked into it and were prepared before buying it, you'd see that there are two major causes for this (apart from the card just being flat out dead)

what most likely has happened is that the card itself is now outputting out a resolution or frequency that your monitor cannot handle.

if this is the case, you'll need to plug in a second monitor (or a tv using your s-video cable) and set the resolution manually on that screen.

the other issue is that the memory frequencies are often set too high for the card even at "stock". many problems can be fixed by setting the mem. freq to 900 and the core clock to 600 (instead of 983 or whatever and 625)

of course, you'll need to be able to see the screen to fix this too, so a second monitor of some sort plugged in at the same time is going to be mandatory either way.

and of course there is the option that your card is actually dead.

Also, here is a method that might work without having to have two monitors, I've just personally always used the second monitor to fix it so I cannot comment on if it actually works:
http://www.vgaforum.com/showthread.php?t=11887[/quote]

There's no need to be rude.

I don't think it's outputting at a resolution or frequency that's too high for my monitor. Right before it freaked out and stopped outputting in Vista, I had it on 1680x1050 at 60Hz (my monitor's native resolution). Like I said, I just tried to look at the 3D Catalyst settings, I didn't even change them and it shut down and refused to start back up.

To answer some other questions, the VGA cable works fine for my Xbox 360 VGA adapter and the same computer using the onboard video.

Oh ok, you must be right then don't even bother trying it its a waste of time. Return the card pay your restocking fee and get an nvidia. NVIDIA 4 LYFE U HEARDDDDDDDDDDDDD

That's not what I'm saying at all, however it's not very nice to accuse a stranger of "not being prepared" when you didn't know much about the situation at all. Maybe you could explain to me why the card would start outputting in a resolution my monitor couldn't handle independently and seemingly randomly.

You're very touchy. Anyways, I just tried the card on my HDTV via HDMI and got nothing. Like before, the system would hang on boot with the card in. I tried resetting the bios, checking connections, all that good stuff and I got nothing.

Like I said, before I went into the catalyst controls (and didn't change anything) the card would show lots of goofy red artifacts, lines and what have you. It kind of sucks.

You may want to try placing another graphics card (or running with the mainboard's integrated graphics if it has one) in to see if you are having the same problem.

A second monitor is not a bad idea to try. I have had problems with ATI and Nvidia sending out-of-frequency signals or not even detecting the screen when trying to hook up to an HDTV, but not so with CRT monitors, for instance.

Finally, and it might sound like a long shot, but the 4850 isn't a small card by any means - could you have accidentally dislodged some other component while installing the graphics card? This happened to me just yesterday, when I fitted a graphics card into a low HTPC case - and knocking the RAM loose by accident; the computer wouldn't even boot up.

But yeah... strange dots and artifacts are usually the tell-tale signs of a dead or soon-to-be-defunct GPU.

Good luck troubleshooting.

It happens. Had a brand new GeForce 9800GT up and die before even starting to install Windows on a fresh system build for a friend a few months back. Got an RMA for it and the replacement works without a hitch. Sometimes shit just happens.

I know this is a few days late but the way you said the PSU makes me wonder. Did you use the one that came with the case? That might be it, Raidmax I dont think is known for quality PSUs, and the cheapos don't really put out anything close to the amount they claim.

bread's done
Back