Video Editing Software for an Apple - WHAT TO BUY?!?

rywateska

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
I need to buy video editing software in the next couple of days, and in doing so, I'd like to purchase the best software available at the most reasonable price. In the past I have used Vegas Video along with Adobe Premier Pro on PC's, but now am looking to pick up a program no less complex than those, for an Apple.

I know enough to manage the above two editors with no problems, but with buying my own set of tools, I need something that will get the job done professionally. Considering that I know how to use the programs, and not what program is specifically better, points me to my main question: Which editing software should I buy?
  • Avid Expess?
  • Adobe Premier Pro?
  • Final Cut Express5?
  • Final Cut Express HD?
  • Final Cut Express?
  • Pinnacle Studio 9.0?
  • Missed Programs?
  • Free Unknowns?

iMovie is far to simple for the videos I plan to work on and anything close to that is not worth consideration. My Apple can run all programs up until the most recent Final Cut Pro Studio ($1,299 :bomb:) so no worries with performance. Basically, I'm hopping from a provided editing setting at a school, to a home desktop workspace. Cost is not too much of a worry, as a student discount can save some dollars, but I wouldn't want to overspend. Any help, insight, or guidance as to where to read, ask questions, or learn more are VERY APPRECIATED. Thanks for reading, and help me out!

I'm thinking now of jumping onto the Avid bandwagon. . . After reading some reviews, that program seems to be just as good. Anyone know anything?

Final Cut! Its not just the editing and the rendering, honestly for me it was teh compression. The difference in quality vs file size will blow you away once you get into the meat of it. Plus, since you're in the burg, check craigslist, since its the end of year a ton of college students were dumping software and stuff a week or two ago.

Is the Immortal montage finally coming together?

Or are you looking into video editing as a profession? You got the talent.

[quote name='zewone']Is the Immortal montage finally coming together?

Or are you looking into video editing as a profession? You got the talent.[/QUOTE]

The former, or, only if you've got money to give me, the latter.

final cut pro...how can you go wrong with the software walter murch prefers? it's the reason i'm considering buying a mac when i get out of debt.

EDIT: avid is too expensive if you plan on doing any commercial work...i want to say a commercial license and setup for avid costs around 30 grand.

[quote name='rywateska']The former[/quote]excellent news.
have you considered piracy, btw?
You get the best available tools free of charge.

If you can afford Final Cut Pro, definitely go with that one. Otherwise, Final Cut Express is a reasonably priced alternative, although it's stripped of most of the features of Pro.

I was actually able to get Final Cut Studio for $500 at my school computer store, cheaper than Apple's normal student discount. I only really needed Final Cut Pro, but over the past two years, I found myself needing to use the other parts (save Motion) for my other classes, so it became worth it in the end to get the whole she-bang.

That box is one heavy sonuvabitch, though, and I had to carry it around campus since I had classes all day.

I'd say stick with Adobe Premiere (my personal fav b/c I use After Effects so much and everything transfers easily), but I haven't heard of a Mac version.

I still kinda resent Macs for losing so many of my projects back at my University, but I think AVID is really the way to go if you're looking to go pro.

Its what most of the movie/gaming industry uses, and it has all the features of the others (at least it did 2 years ago).

I've always used Adobe Premiere to edit my films.

However, I hear wonderful things about Final Cut. They edit quite a few feature films with that nowadays. I don't have a Mac, so I don't know how well it works.

I picked up Final Cut Express about whenever this topic died down however many months ago. Then college picked up and my free time has actually slowed to a halt. I'm looking to finish the whole damn thing over either Thanksgiving or winter break. The only problem I'm having with FCX is the quick keys and the side LiveType program. Hopefully I can flesh those out in due time. I have a shitload of clips on my computer so hopefully something can come together.

[quote name='rywateska']...whenever this topic died down however many months ago... [/QUOTE]
Wow. I didn't see the date of the first post. And I don't see why this thread could have possibly been resurrected.

bread's done
Back