Video Game Awards

Lupuri

CAGiversary!
Anyone gonna actually put down their controllers to watch this toilet bowl flush of a 'game' awards show?

Is this the Samuel L Motherfucking Jackson one? I'll be downloading whatever video they put up on marketplace.

fucking NO!!!

There is one reason why I wont be watching this and one reason alone. The second highest game ranked ever according to gamerankings.com (Super Mario Galaxy) is not a on the list for game of the year (not that I am a Nintendo fanboy but I mean it is the 2nd highest reviewed game ever), and to top that off all 4 GOTY year choices are shooters on the 360. Where is the variety?

as much as I love valve and half life, it's just not possible that the orange box can win game of the year. almost half of it is stuff from 2004 & 2005. ultimately, it's pretty safe to assume that halo 3 will win the GOTY award tonight, but in retrospect, the GOTY award from spike literally means jack shit.

edit: lol at using the Final Fantasy Tactics A2 logo when Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions is nominated for something.

I already read the spoilers, and they seemed fair to me. It's obvious that every game wins something to cater to everyone, it's not really about what's best.

are u kidding me SPOILER the game that gets soundtrack award does not in no way deserve that it doesnt even have 60 songs

[quote name='bobthecat23']are u kidding me SPOILER the game that gets soundtrack award does not in no way deserve that it doesnt even have 60 songs[/quote]

it's not about the amount of songs in the soundtrack, rather the quality and kind of songs.

[quote name='SpazX']Hell no, Spike is only good for Star Trek and CSI reruns.[/quote]

Along with TNA ;)

I'll be watchin Family guy come 9 but I don't know, maybe I'll be gettin more laughs from that..:whistle2:--)

Okay, I looked at the list of winner's...and

I don't understand how the winner of Game of the Year is not the best game for *any* of the consoles or PC....I mean, if it's the best game this year, and it's on the 360, shouldn't it also be the best 360 game?

Spike TV is incredibly retarded....

Super Mario Galaxy winning Best Action Game just doesn't sound right... (it deserves an award though, no doubt about it)

[quote name='mrelusive']
Super Mario Galaxy winning Best Action Game just doesn't sound right... (it deserves an award though, no doubt about it)
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, stupid things like that happen, like how G4 said Twilight Princess was RPG of the year.

Anyways, is there a list that says the winners? I'm curious to see.

Some of the choices are ok I guess. Still, I can kinda see how Mario could be considered an action game even though the other nominees are probably better action games when it comes to action :p

Still, I guess Mario had to win something

[quote name='SL4IN']but game of the year did win best xbox 360 game.....[/QUOTE]

oh okay, when I first checked the list on wikipedia, they had CoD4 listed as goty, it's fixed now...

[quote name='Lupuri']Anyone gonna actually put down their controllers to watch this toilet bowl flush of a 'game' awards show?[/QUOTE]

I was flipping channels and caught a few bits of it....and that was more than enough :

1. Ridiculous Whore Tia Tequila trying to choose a fave current-gen system. The "punch line" was that she would take them all or something like that.

2. Ralphie May (fat ass no-talent comedian hack) and some actor I've never heard of presenting "Best Individual Sports Game. Skate won out over THPG, Virtua Tennis 3, and Tiger 2008.

3. Kid fucking Rock doing a medley and once again butchering classic songs. His own shit is bad enough, but when he rape-covers someone else's stuff it's bad enough to make you wish there would be a sniper in the rigging.

After 20 seconds of him, I had to change the channel.

Ever since the first award show (I think Madden won GOTY in that...), I just waited for the gaming blogs to snatch the winner's list and LMAO at those. Don't waste your time watching this PoS.

Show was crap. The naked women awards were unnecessary. I recognized like 4 presenters, and half of the awards were given 'earlier'. I was considering to go see Video Games Live, but after the award show, I felt like I saw it and can now skip it. I don't understand why certain people accepted awards (Hi, I'm Matt Leinart, I deserve an award, because, well, I'm a celebrity). I was jazzed to see who won GOTY, as it was well deserved. And I really was glad that I have a PVR so I could watch the show in 25 minutes.

I watched!

It was exciting to see our favorite past time get dwiddled down to a crappy, frat-boy, immature and still looked upon as childish and nerdy past time.

And I knew that the Award Show was just a huge advertisement for Spike TV's shitty shows. But man, that was over the top. They got three dudes out and said, "We have a big announcement!" I thought it would be some game related announcement, nope; "We are introducing -something something- UFC champions yada yada" Wow. And I love how the Main Actors for Jump (whatever the movie is) gave best Game of the Year award.

The only presenter that has a chance to possibily know what a game is, is Patton Oswalt.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I watched!

It was exciting to see our favorite past time get dwiddled down to a crappy, frat-boy, immature and still looked upon as childish and nerdy past time.

The only presenter that has a chance to possibily know what a game is, is Patton Oswalt.[/QUOTE]

Why? Because he's immature, childish, and nerdy?

I kid, I kid.

[quote name='SpazX']Hell no, Spike is only good for Star Trek and CSI reruns.[/quote]*cough* UFC!!

IMO, its less to do with true gaming, and more to do with mainstream media. Most of the people on the show arent even gamers.... Sam Jackson's geriactric old ass cant say lines straight, let alone play mass effect or bioshock. Alas, there wont be a game show that will appeal to gamers, instead of the masses. Madden and Halo are all the 'cool guy' gamers are concerned with.

[quote name='Lupuri']*cough* UFC!!

IMO, its less to do with true gaming, and more to do with mainstream media. Most of the people on the show arent even gamers.... Sam Jackson's geriactric old ass cant say lines straight, let alone play mass effect or bioshock. Alas, there wont be a game show that will appeal to gamers, instead of the masses. Madden and Halo are all the 'cool guy' gamers are concerned with.[/quote]

True... Sadly, games like Mass Effect & BioShock probably weren't even mentioned (I didn't watch, forgive me)... What has the world come to...

GAME OF THE YEAR
BioShock

STUDIO OF THE YEAR
Harmonix

BEST SHOOTER
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision/ Infinity Ward)

BEST RPG
Mass Effect (Microsoft Game Studios/ BioWare)

BEST MILITARY GAME

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME
skate (Electronic Arts/ EA Black Box)

BEST HANDHELD GAME
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo/ Nintendo)

BEST GRAPHICS
Crysis (Electronic Arts/ Crytek)

BEST GAME BASED ON A MOVIE OR TV SHOW
The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts/ EA Redwood Shores)

BEST RHYTHM GAME
Rock Band (MTV Games/ Harmonix)

BEST DRIVING GAME
DiRT (Codemasters/ Codemasters)

BEST ACTION GAME
Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo/ Nintendo)

BEST TEAM SPORTS GAME
Madden NFL 08 (Electronic Arts/ EA Tiburon)

BEST SOUNDTRACK

BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY
The Orange Box/ Portal (Valve/ Valve)

BEST XBOX 360 GAME
BioShock

BEST WII GAME

BEST PS3 GAME
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Sony Computer Entertainment/
Insomniac Games)

BEST PC GAME
The Orange Box (Valve/ Valve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BioShock

BEST MULTI-PLAYER GAME
Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios/ Bungie Studios)

MOST ADDICTIVE VIDEO GAME FUELED BY DEW
Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios/ Bungie Studios

[quote name='wdwpsu']The naked women awards were unnecessary.[/quote]

That was the only good part of the show.

I'm surprised at what they got away with - that looked like body paint and nothing else.

It was funny when they panned the real crowd (and not the planted celebs) - it was the most heinous crowd ever. Seas of frat dudes punctuated by an occasional fat chick going crazy to get on cam.

Here's the list. Amazingly, I have to agree with almost everything on there. But I'd put Mario Galaxy as Game of the Year. Still there's nothing on here that I could say "come on, where the hell did you come up with that?" Which I do regularly on many GotY lists.

Green is stuff I agree with. Everything else I have no comment to make on.

GAME OF THE YEAR
BioShock

STUDIO OF THE YEAR
Harmonix

BEST SHOOTER

BEST RPG
Mass Effect (Microsoft Game Studios/ BioWare)

BEST MILITARY GAME

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME
skate (Electronic Arts/ EA Black Box)

BEST HANDHELD GAME
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo/ Nintendo)

BEST GRAPHICS
Crysis (Electronic Arts/ Crytek)[/quote]

BEST GAME BASED ON A MOVIE OR TV SHOW
The Simpsons Game (Electronic Arts/ EA Redwood Shores)

BEST RHYTHM GAME

BEST DRIVING GAME
DiRT (Codemasters/ Codemasters)

BEST ACTION GAME

BEST TEAM SPORTS GAME
Madden NFL 08 (Electronic Arts/ EA Tiburon)

BEST SOUNDTRACK

BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY
The Orange Box/ Portal (Valve/ Valve)

BEST XBOX 360 GAME
BioShock

BEST WII GAME

BEST PS3 GAME
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Sony Computer Entertainment/
Insomniac Games)

BEST PC GAME
The Orange Box (Valve/ Valve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
BioShock

BEST MULTI-PLAYER GAME
Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios/ Bungie Studios)

MOST ADDICTIVE VIDEO GAME FUELED BY DEW
Halo 3 (Microsoft Game Studios/ Bungie Studios

oh god that show was horrible. SLJ jokes were just plain stupid.

I turned it off after about 15 minutes.

I knew Halo 3, Bioshock, SMG, and Orange box was going to win ahead of time.

[quote name='wdwpsu']Show was crap. The naked women awards were unnecessary. I recognized like 4 presenters, and half of the awards were given 'earlier'. I was considering to go see Video Games Live, but after the award show, I felt like I saw it and can now skip it. I don't understand why certain people accepted awards (Hi, I'm Matt Leinart, I deserve an award, because, well, I'm a celebrity). I was jazzed to see who won GOTY, as it was well deserved. And I really was glad that I have a PVR so I could watch the show in 25 minutes.[/quote]
Give me a break! The naked women awards were unecessary? You sound like a real fun person. I thought that was creative and fun. Think outside the box a bit. But I am an artist so I guess beautiful painted naked woman would appeal to me! Anyways, yes these VGA's are a bit hard to take serious for gamers but you have to realize it is more of a huge advertisement. Dissapointing I know. The Trailers they presented were horrible!!!:drool:

[quote name='SL4IN']I agree with almost all of them.

would have picked forza 2 as best racer and Persona 3 as best rpg though.[/quote]

and Kane and Lynch for GOTY.

Right? :]

agreed 'bout the naked
well body-paint cladded
women...that was actually kick ass

rest of the show was a stinker though

Im not saying the awards werent accurate... cause they were indeed pretty damn close. Im saying that the whole presentation and preception is a joke. I think that one guy in this thread said it best, frat party. Naked ladies, yeah... Im cool with that. But SLJ, Foo Fighters? Forrest Griffin? Tila Tequila... what a joke. None of these people would even pick up a controller, let alone get their asses reemed online in Halo...

I'm surprised that more people are as dissapointed on here as me. When I read the nominees, and especially the winners, I see pretty much only games that have already been hyped to high hell. Smells like some industry machine at work.

I mean, Bioshlock GOTY? Please...I know a lot of people say they like this game, but I only made it through about a third of it before I quit out of boredom and from being annoyed. Halo 3 was better, but still not fantastic. I'd rather see a game like Mario Galaxy sweep the awards, because at least it seems like Miyamoto was actually trying to do something fresh with the concept.

I know the show is marketed to dumbasses with too much testosterone, but I just expected more people on here to disagree with the awards handed out.

bread's done
Back