Video game book sugestions?

[quote name='pablo escobar']there was a street fighter book that came out a few years ago, can't remember the name of it though. It had some great pics[/quote]

Was it something like "UDON's Art of Street Fighter" or something like that? I believe it was a compilation of various art from the Street Fighter comic books.

Hackers by Steven Levy is a classic and one of my personal favorites. Besides discussing the beginning of hacking at MIT it tells you how Slug Russell created Spacewar! in 1962. The third part of the book is about the early days of Sierra On-Line and the rise of adventure games. It also has a chapter or so about Richard Garriott and Ultima.

Masters of Doom by David Kushner and Power-Up by Chris Kohler are both on my shelf and worth reading.

Ooooh, I love this topic.

For a surprisingly good read, get "The Ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L Kent. It's bigger than a coffee book (couple hundred pages) but lightweight and inviting. Good stories in there about the whole history of games. There are tons of great quotes from gaming icons and really cool tidbit stories. Things like Universal trying to sue Nintendo over Donkey Kong, but shooting themselves in the foot over greed. Funny stuff.

For art, I know this will get me in trouble. But Gamestop does occasionally get some really cool art book promo's for pre-orders. I've got ones from Tales of Symphonia and a Dynasty Warriors hardcover book. But the best bet in my opinion is an art book of Yohsitaka Amano. I personally like his art a lot, and the Final Fantasy stuff is just the least of his work.

Lord_Kefka, I've seen that book before. I never thought much about looking into it, but if you say it's good I'll check it out. It's not very expensive, and trivia is always fun.

Squall835, High Score! looks perfect. I looked through the pages on amazon, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Thanks a lot.

I always thought Game Over: Press Start to Continue was a darn good book, though it only covers the history of Nintendo and even then only up to the beginning of the N64 era. I liked it a lot.

bread's done
Back