VIDEO Game Crash coming soon ??????????????

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
Think about it next summer we will have 6 systems on the market

Gamecube, gameboy advance, Ds from nintendo
PS2 and PSP from sony
Xbox

6 systems

a year later we will have 9 (though ps2 xbox and cube be on way out)

Gamecube, Gamecube 2, GBA, DS and maybe GBA 2??
PS2 PS 3 PSP
Xbox and Xbox 2

that could be up to 10 systems on the market for xmas 2006
this isnt counting the internet based systems what come out this xmas 2004

theres barely enough cash to support these systems now let alone store space

also does nintendo really expect they can really run with 2 hand held systems and support both. I mean whos parents will buy DS games then turn around and buy GBA games

i think we are about to see another crash like back in the 1980s

i think the first one we will see crash will be xbox followed by the DS

right now the previews of the DS really dont show me why i should run out and blow 200 for it

any comments

Yeah, but the shitty ones will filter themselves out by years end. I'm not worried. The film industry 's going to crash too, then the sports industry, then TV........sucks to be in the entrertainment business, doesn't it?

Sorry, videogames will never go away, it will adjust just like every other industry does depending on the level of disposable income.

k cool i just came on back in late july so i probally missed it.

will be intresting to see how it works out i mean target alone barly has enough store space for the 4 systems out now

gamecube gba xbox and ps2

i asked if they plan on expanding the game part and they said as soon as the DS hits it will take up half of the GBA area.

that will really suck and the PSP will take space away from ps2

xbox first cause bill gates will get bored with the game market and give up LOL

i dont know why i said xbox first ...

Probally cause i got all 3 systems and havent hooked my xbox up in the last 6 months.

i not yelling at target im saying that all stores have a limit on how much space they are giving to games...

what makes me think of a funny store about a video store that had a used game place inside of it ,,, closed it down said they needed the space and now they sell candy in that spot... Your telling me they are making more money on candy then selling video games?????????

[quote name='slidecage']
what makes me think of a funny store about a video store that had a used game place inside of it ,,, closed it down said they needed the space and now they sell candy in that spot... Your telling me they are making more money on candy then selling video games?????????[/quote]

It's entirely possible.

There was a MASSIVE thread about this awhile back...I will post up a link to it shortly once I find it...quite a good read thanks to some great insights from some CAGers...

the only reason i can think why they closed it down inside the store is it was taking business away from rentals..... but then again look at hollywood video they got game crazy right next to them

then again their trades was sort of stupid .. i was able to get gameboy games off ebay for 2 bucks and sell them to the game store for 10 each..

that is how i was able to get my first GBA for 30 bucks

I donth think tyhe industry will crash. Back in 95 (somewhere round there, cant remember) there were 6 or more systems out, if you counted the 3do, super nintendo, neo geo, turbo grafx, and the rest of the lot that im missing

[quote name='Sartori'][quote name='slidecage']
what makes me think of a funny store about a video store that had a used game place inside of it ,,, closed it down said they needed the space and now they sell candy in that spot... Your telling me they are making more money on candy then selling video games?????????[/quote]

It's entirely possible.[/quote]

Hell yeah it's possible. That's why Kohl's stopped selling electronics.

You can't really count Jaguar, Virtual Boy, 3DO...all that mid-nineties stuff...but if you do, you have to count N-Gage...and those other crappy systems that are around today as well

I can't see it crashing. There are probably enough people running out and blindly buying every Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto game to support the entire videogames industry for years to come. :p

The industry isn't going to crash. The industry now is bigger than ever before; gaming has become too mainstream. Lots o' consoles? Fine. PS3 is backwards compatible anyway, and recent info hints that the Xbox 2 might pull off backwards compatibility as well. The DS is GBA backwards compatible... come on, if all the new systems support the old games, what's to worry about?

heres a question Why cant nintendo make a system like the game gear. at least you didnt have to buy more games

it be cool to pop in a Gamecube 2 game into a gameboy advance 2 system

[quote name='slidecage']heres a question Why cant nintendo make a system like the game gear. at least you didnt have to buy more games

it be cool to pop in a Gamecube 2 game into a gameboy advance 2 system[/quote]How the hell is that supposed to work? :? You want Nintendo to put the power of whatever current home-console on a portable GBA? That would have to be one huge, expensive, and powerfull object to carry around in your hand.

I just don't get it. :?

saying like this happens

madden 2007
(dont know if it be madden but im just picking a game

buy it for gamecube 2, gba 2 and DS for say 110 bucks for all 3 systems

i would rather spend more money on a hand held then having to buy more games just to play in the hand held

right now i really dont see a reason to buy the DS nothing really out there i want .... i dont plan on buying one this xmas unless 1 of 2 things happen

system sells for under 149.99
or
Trade in your GBA get the DS for 89.99 (Doubtful)

a more powerful handheld might cost more up front but you would save more in the long run

if i buy 10 other games for the handheld at 30 each that is 300 bucks i could saved if the same games would work in each system

or at least have a build in port to put the gba games in (like the gameboy player but have it already build into the system)

ALso any1 notice
THE SNES had a player'
THE Gamecube has a player

why didnt the N64 have a player

The market crashed in 1983 because of the lack of quality control. Anyone could program a game in weeks and put it on the market. There was such a flood of horrible games, including many from industry leader Atari, that people stopped purchasing product. That's not the case today. If anything, there is an abundance of quality games. Games cost so much to produce that fly-by-night companies looking to make a quick buck can't do so, unlike 1983. The market is also many times larger than it was twenty years ago. A much larger percentage of the population is playing games and thus able to support many more products. I don't think we'll ever see a crash like 1983 again, in which ALL (Atari/Intellivision/Colecovision) consoles stopped selling. Video games are so ingrained in our culture, like television and movies, that it will always be a major force in the entertainment industry.

every year someone says there will be a crash. you have a valid point, but i doubt it will happen. people are too involved in games now for there to be a crash. sort of like how every year some death cult says it's the end of the world, but it never happens. Unless this is the year!!! oh no!

whats funny is i got more system now then i ever did. i never owned all the new systems (own sega but not snes, owned ps1 never dreamcast

now i own all 3 new sytems xbox ps2 cube

i do plan on buying ps 3 and ds and psp

[quote name='DigitalSpace']slidecage, you forgot about the N-Gage. I wish I could too.[/quote]I didn't even know N-Gage was still around. They have it right next to the old PS1 games and NES games. :?

I dont forsee a "crash." Mommy and daddy will always be spitting out money for the newest stuff.
Maybe this will spur prices down a bit.

look at it this way. less shelf space, less room for garbage games. I mean come on. The reason the industry crashed in the 80s is because of a massive flood of HORRIBLE HORRIBLE games. I mean literally there was nothing but crap being made. However look at the games we are getting on the PS2 alone.

Viewtiful Joe
SW: Battlefront
MGS3
R&C:3
Jak3
Ace Combat 5
GT4
GTA:SA
PoP:2
LOTR:TTA
XMen:leg
DMC:3
on and on...

The industry is going to crash? Why, because a small online game retailer is doing less business?

Come on, people. Yes, I agree that the rising costs of game development and marketing are starting to put a squeeze on smaller game companies, but the companies at the top are doing business like never before. For a couple of years now, video game sales have outpaced Hollywood box office receipts, and I won't be surprised if that trend continues.

The crap stuff will fall by the wayside, but your Maddens and Grand Theft Autos and Halos and Final Fantasys will still do big business.

Just some history, acclaim went bankrupt recently, Midway is rebounding in the industry, EA's Madden 2005 was still the number one seller for last month overall, selling over 1 million units. Sega//GlobalStar NFL 2k5, did affect EA"S pricing structure on PS2 NBA Live 2005, since they know quality is there for NBA 2k5. The market is going to be headed towards consolidation. EA is buying all the premiere studios, i.e. Criterion, makers of Burnout series, and others are being bought out as well. Companies like 3D0, Acclaim, just some of the recent causaulties. I'm guessing companies like Midway have very uncertain futures, most likely being bought by Viacom in the near future. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will have a tuff year trying to vie for the spending dollars of parents who will be confused and lost to what to buy, since there will be such saturation. The biggest problem in the industry is that there have become way too many sellers of videogames, so you will notice some stores discontinuing the product line. i.e. Circuit City, Toys R Us, and others as well.

[quote name='KurtCobain'][quote name='DigitalSpace']slidecage, you forgot about the N-Gage. I wish I could too.[/quote]I didn't even know N-Gage was still around. They have it right next to the old PS1 games and NES games. :?[/quote]

At my local Gamestop the N-Gage display is all the way in the back corner of the store. :lol:

I doubt you will see a Video Game Crash like in the 80s for many of the reasons other writers mentioned (quality control,etc...) We have much better games now.

But I do agree that all of the 9 or more systems that we will have together next year will not survive more than a year or 2.....Maybe atleast 3 or more of those future systems (it could be a handheld or the handhelds could take profits away from the big consoles as a whole or vice versa...) ...
Well Here are the easy ones to go away from 2007........the Gamecube and Xbox could be dead systems from 2007, but PS2 wants to continue supporting there old system for a little longer than that. So that's 2 systems out the door...and I believe PS2 should pass away sooner than SONY would have liked. And Then I predict one of the handhelds will pass away with no profits after 2 years in the business....so that's one more system out the door...Things will still be like they are today...No Crash!!

Maybe, it could be like the mid 90s with all of those systems like 3do, , neo geo, turbo grafx, Jaguar, AMIGA32, etc...all passing away as losers in USA. Of course it won't be as severe as this This Decade since Gaming is More intwined with our culture.
We Will Have to wait until 2007 and see!

But Honestly,
I don't think we have to worry about anything like this until 2008 ....and thats still a long time away.....So all you pessimists, just Chill and Enjoy the Ride for 3 or 4 more years!! 8)

i went to last years GDC (game developer conference), and in general, on of the main points of focus, in a speech delivered by a Japanese game rep. (Cant remember the co.) stressed that if in the next five years, the game industry doesnt step it up and attempt to innovate, and create completely new genres and types of games, instead of simply rehashing the same old concept over and over again with slight modifications...The consumer is bound to lose interest in buying products in a market already oversaturated wtih products too similar to each other..and thus, a massive crash will ensue.

..So, in general, when creating games becomes more about the money than the quality..some big problems will begin to arise.

*and so, props to nintendo for having been one of the few companies to actually take the risk of taking completely new directions with some of their franchises(namco, capcom...props to you guys too)*

Option b. Massive console wars..and not the, SNES vs. Genesis type of the nineties..but a much more brutal, lasting one which might destroy several competitors in the process.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']The market crashed in 1983 because of the lack of quality control. Anyone could program a game in weeks and put it on the market. There was such a flood of horrible games, including many from industry leader Atari, that people stopped purchasing product. That's not the case today. If anything, there is an abundance of quality games. Games cost so much to produce that fly-by-night companies looking to make a quick buck can't do so, unlike 1983. The market is also many times larger than it was twenty years ago. A much larger percentage of the population is playing games and thus able to support many more products. I don't think we'll ever see a crash like 1983 again, in which ALL (Atari/Intellivision/Colecovision) consoles stopped selling. Video games are so ingrained in our culture, like television and movies, that it will always be a major force in the entertainment industry.[/quote]

Another major factor, the primary cause of much of the quality issues with third party products, is the difference in business model. Atari, Coleco, and Mattel had no control over third party publishing for their platforms. Anybody with the capital could digitize a turd and ship a bunch of ROM cartridge. Even if the games were good this only benefitted the platform company by enhancing the desirability of the platform but not not in any direct revenue producing fashion.

Nintendo's business model changed all of that. This is by far their most important contribution to the video game industry. Not the hardware or any of the game franchises can compare to resurrecting what was thought to be a dead industry and, along with other companies, expanding to a size many times what it was in the first wave.

bread's done
Back