Video Game Deal Heartbreaks.

pyoobez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Didn't see a thread on this and thought it could be fun. Basically, it's disappointing tales where you thought you'd get a great deal and you didn't know the value, were beaten to it, etc.

Here's two of mine...

First, a trip to a Goodwill. I grabbed a stack fo Genesis games... T2, The Incredible Hulk and The Punisher for $3 each, all in the cases. I get to the register and the woman opens the cases (this store tapes them shut) and The Punisher game is missing. I had no idea until I got home, that I missed out on a $30 game because some butthole decided to steal a game. Seriously though, is free over $3 worth for no case? Not to let alone, the chance of getting caught... stealing form the Goodwill.

Second, a local video store was selling off a ton of their games in November of December of '07. My dad and I headed out for N64 and XBox titles. I managed to get Morrowind for $5 as well as THPS1 and WrestleMania 2000 for $3 each. As the woman was getting the games out for them, I spotted a Mario Party 3 box in her display box. I asked her about it, but she said someone rented it two or three years before and never returned it. Granted, had they returned it, someone likely would've picked it out before me, but still... I've gotten a couple good deals from mom and pop shops forgetting to set stuff out.

week or 2 ago on craigslist. Sent a email and got a reply within 30 min. that it was gone. PS1 RPG lot worth $300+ for $100.

Similar Goodwill story:

I found Legend of Mana and Digimon World (Black Label) sitting on the shelf for $3.99 a piece. I bought the games and when I opened up the cases there was a pizza hut disc in the LoM case and no disc in the Digimon case. When I brought it back they gave me a full refund and let me keep the cases and manuals, but I still wish I had gotten the games... that would've been a steal.

Also, I harbor a significant amount of hate towards my friend who got Snatcher for Sega CD at a local store for $4.99. He was at the store mere minutes before I got there, so I just barely missed it.

A few months ago I saw a lot of sealed Commodore 64 games on Ebay, some of which I have been searching for for a very long time. I was very excited, and noted the end date and told myseld I'd snipe it in the last moment (I do that often since I don't want to get into a bidding war and spend more than I had planned to initially).

I kept waiting for that moment and reminding myself to bid.

On that day however (it was a Sunday), I was tired and fell asleep a few minutes before the time I was supposed to make the bid... I did wake up a few minutes later and frantically rushed to the computer, and of course the auction had ended with someone else buying it for hundreds of dollars less then it was worth, so I couldve gotten a great deal. This still makes me mad when I think of it sometimes (because I still havent been able to track down those sealed games) and as a result I always set up like 10 alarm clocks to make sure I dont miss any more snipes.

[quote name='Dazz']week or 2 ago on craigslist. Sent a email and got a reply within 30 min. that it was gone. PS1 RPG lot worth $300+ for $100.[/quote]

LOL, I think that everyone on here has that same story...hell, I have it every couple of weeks at least!

[quote name='chronodev']A few months ago I saw a lot of sealed Commodore 64 games on Ebay, some of which I have been searching for for a very long time. I was very excited, and noted the end date and told myseld I'd snipe it in the last moment (I do that often since I don't want to get into a bidding war and spend more than I had planned to initially).

I kept waiting for that moment and reminding myself to bid.

On that day however (it was a Sunday), I was tired and fell asleep a few minutes before the time I was supposed to make the bid... I did wake up a few minutes later and frantically rushed to the computer, and of course the auction had ended with someone else buying it for hundreds of dollars less then it was worth, so I couldve gotten a great deal. This still makes me mad when I think of it sometimes (because I still havent been able to track down those sealed games) and as a result I always set up like 10 alarm clocks to make sure I dont miss any more snipes.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, get an auto sniper.

If your buying games from goodwill, they could have been donated in that way. The workers don't check to make sure every game or CD is in its correct case and people mix up games at their house ALL the time.

I had a guy here on CAG offer me a Complete verison of Earthbound with a mint guide for a trade of my No More Heroes, Lost Odyssey and Super Smash Bros. Brawl when they were all still brand new. I was taking a couple of days to debate it over as he was trying to get me to throw in another game and when I made my decision to accept it I found out he was a CAG deadbeat and scammed a ton of people on here out of stuff. I'm glad he didn't scam me but I still wish someone would sell or trade me that damn game:bomb:

Stolen Goodwill games are actually pretty common. The other day I saw Half Life Blue, Team Fortress Classic and a whole other bunch Valve PC games for 3.59 each, but all had no disc.
I blame my Goodwill for overpricing they're shit.

[quote name='Dazz']week or 2 ago on craigslist. Sent a email and got a reply within 30 min. that it was gone. PS1 RPG lot worth $300+ for $100.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't bother with Craig's List much anymore as it's not worth the time given the crap you have to put up with.

The one that really did it for me was a guy who agreed to sell me a Gamecube lot (system and 3 or 4 games) including a Zelda disc which he obviously didn't know was worth slightly more than the entire lot. He said the earliest he could meet was the next afternoon - I was willing to drive over immediately. I call him the next day just before setting out to drive over and pick it up and he tells me he sold it the night before. :wall:

No idea why the guy didn't e-mail me about that. I guess he wanted me to waste even more time driving over so he could tell me as I was standing at his front door he had sold it out from under me?

As for the RPG lot example - you'd think the seller would realize he was maybe undervaluing his crap when he gets 5 e-mails offering to buy his lot within 20 minutes of making the post. :lol: Maybe that is what happened. :whistle2:k

Some lady agreed to sell me Brigandine (complete and minty!) for $2.00 off of craigslist. I should've left work right then to pick it up, but her husband called back in an hour and said "Yeah, I told my moron of a wife not to sell these games!" :roll: :bomb:

There was a local store that had a really sweet buy-one-get-one sale. I was the first person there, so I was pretty psyched to score some great deals. As I was looking at the selection, I noticed another guy come in not long after me. He walked past the games and headed off to another section of the store. As I'm bringing my games up to the register, I notice he's already paying for his stuff, and he's got all of these top-notch, new release games! How did he manage to score all of these great games without actually being in the game section? I think we ALL know the answer to that... stasher!

bread's done
Back