"Video Game Libraries to be Proud Of."

bileanddecay

CAGiversary!
It's very important to me to have a dignified library of games (and DVDs). I've gone out of my way to procure (and re-procure) games that I find of great quality. Though they may not necessarily be the greatest or most fun games, these are games that I otherwise feel proud to have in MY library. Sort of like a distinguished professor or literary scholar who is proud of his library of novels and first editions and what-have-you.

I am very proud of my PS1 library.

Suikoden 1
(and 2, but soon to be sold off)
Vandal Hearts
FF9
Armored Core (original)
Castlevania: SOTN
Parappa
Fear Effect 2
FF9
Ace Combat 2
Die Hard Trilogy (badass)
Wipeout XL
Persona 2 (phenomenal)
Rival Schools
FF7 (of course)
MGS
Bust a Move (the dancing game)
Einhander

Not complete by any means, and I'm sure there are titles that I am lacking that you would consider to be essential to ANY collection, but what I have, I am very proud of. Does anyone else takepride in their libraries like this?

jesus - you own all of those games?!?!

I suppose another idiosyncrasy of mine is that I attempt to minimize my collection as much as I possibly can, as to weed out the fluff games (games I'm not necessarily proud of owning). For example, I noticed on your list Colony Wars and THPS, both of which I have owned and enjoyed thoroughly, but when compared to the list I gave in my original post, I decided to let those go. It gets to a point when I am irritated by games that I don't feel can hold a candle to my "A-List," such as Persona 2 or Einhander.

Just trying to feel out whether or not I'm a bit TOO passionate about my library. . .

I feel like I am in the minority here, but why 'weed out games.' If I enjoy a game and there is the remotest possibilty that I will play it in the future, I will keep it. Games are much more fun when they are played, not when they are looked at on a shelf.

[quote name='punqsux']you should get re2, its amazing how that game holds up today for being made 6 years ago[/quote]

Had it, had all of the REs actually, loved them to death, but it's not a game I can envision playing again with the same enjoyment. So, it was traded away.

thanks, but ive never sold a game. ever. in my life. never even traded one in. that is every game i have ever owned right there, from over 10 yeas in the hobby.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I feel like I am in the minority here, but why 'weed out games.' If I enjoy a game and there is the remotest possibilty that I will play it in the future, I will keep it. Games are much more fun when they are played, not when they are looked at on a shelf.[/quote]

Totally understood. I used to share the same philosophy, but then I had this huge library of games, most of them lackluster one-hit-wonders that, although a remote replay was not totally out of the question, would never hold my attention again in the same way as my A-List. I go back to (most of) these games even now. For example, I can play Vandal Hearts until the day I die and still enjoy the story and the hokey graphics and sound effects. There is something very endearing about the games that I chose to hold on to - sometimes it's easy to pick out, sometimes a little more obfuscated.

But for me, to retain a library of 100+ games just doesn't suit my style. I prefer to have the best of the best (in my book anyway). I derive more satisfaction from keeping a library of a few excellent essentials titles than a library of dozens upon hundreds of discs of digital fodder.

I liken it to a quote I heard in reference to war casualties: "When one person dies, it's a travesty. When a thousand people die, it's a statistic." I share the same sentiment with exclusivity, so the few that I have are very important to me. If I had a slew of them, some important, some not so, I don't think I would appreciate the ones worth appreciating.

Time to make a little penguin cry.
Your fifteen minutes are up. Again. :)
http://users.ign.com/collection/collegestudentj

(before anyone thinks this is too harsh, it happens to be a running joke for all of these post your collection threads.. Sneaky starts of with the most, i post mine, and then there are usually two more that are bigger than mine.)

And the award goes to . . . (takes trophy away from SneakyPenguin) . . . JSweeney! My list is so small compared to everyone else's I think I'm starting to get a complex.

[quote name='JSweeney']Time to make a little penguin cry.

(before anyone thinks this is too harsh, it happens to be a running joke for all of these post your collection threads.. Sneaky starts of with the most, i post mine, and then there are usually two more that are bigger than mine.)[/quote]

good GOD. :shock: that was amazing.

nice to see you have persona and your suikodens in that list. but why no vandal hearts? am I the ONLY person in the owrld who liked VH?

Here's mine: http://users.ign.com/collection/argyle?showAsOthersSeeIt=1&objType=1

I consider that trimmed down btw - I got rid of pretty much all of my "crap" games during the height of EB's 4-for-1. There are still a select few on there that need to go - I've had about all I can take of Rise To Honor, for example - for for the most part, those are keepers. If I've enjoyed a game then it's worth more to me to hold onto it than to ditch it for a few bucks.

For example, I just noticed that Rhapsody, which I paid $25 for a mint/complete copy of a couple years back, is going for $60 average on EB now. Doesn't phase me tho, I'd never get rid of it. The game is very quircky, charming, and just plain fun. And likewise, if I had your copy of Suikoden 2 the $200 going price wouldn't tempt me in the least. That game is a masterpiece.

Not that I'd GIVE that much for the game, mind you - I'll trust my luck which will eventually have me run across a cheap copy of it. :)

Hmm I guess I should post my humbe collection.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Afro_Fox

If u noticed I have alot of import games. I have like 30 more games I can't list because IGN doesn't think they exist. I didn't put PC because to be honest I have an assload of burned games so I don't have boxes and books and what not for it. Hope it holds up to the other heads here.

Personally I don't keep track of anything but my Xbox games (have a little over 30) I just can't see going back to a PS1 game when I can pick up a current title for fairly cheap. I could maybe see going back for a good RPG, but I've played most of those that I wanted to.

i only have 11 games between the 3 home systems. i just dont see how anyone would keep all of their games. the way i see it is if im done playing a game and i can replace it with something new than why not make that exchange? i do keep some games for very long periods of time if i really love them but most just go back where i bought them. i think its the most cheapass way to do video games, when you buy a $50 game its like your paying for an expensive rental that you keep as long as you want then return for a 30-20 dollar rebate. i dont collect video games, I try to experience as many as i can.

[quote name='JSweeney']Time to make a little penguin cry.

(before anyone thinks this is too harsh, it happens to be a running joke for all of these post your collection threads.. Sneaky starts of with the most, i post mine, and then there are usually two more that are bigger than mine.)[/quote]

congratulations, you made me shed a tear. you were late though, some one beat me before you showed up.

[quote name='whiteboy']i only have 11 games between the 3 home systems. i just dont see how anyone would keep all of their games. the way i see it is if im done playing a game and i can replace it with something new than why not make that exchange? i do keep some games for very long periods of time if i really love them but most just go back where i bought them. i think its the most cheapass way to do video games, when you buy a $50 game its like your paying for an expensive rental that you keep as long as you want then return for a 30-20 dollar rebate. i dont collect video games, I try to experience as many as i can.[/quote]

Except I never buy a $50 game. :p (Well not since the N64 days anyway.)

[quote name='whiteboy']i only have 11 games between the 3 home systems. i just dont see how anyone would keep all of their games. the way i see it is if im done playing a game and i can replace it with something new than why not make that exchange? i do keep some games for very long periods of time if i really love them but most just go back where i bought them. i think its the most cheapass way to do video games, when you buy a $50 game its like your paying for an expensive rental that you keep as long as you want then return for a 30-20 dollar rebate. i dont collect video games, I try to experience as many as i can.[/quote]

I think you're drastically overestimating the amount of money you could get back out of a game. Unless you only plan to have a game for 2-3 months, it's very likely that:

1. The retail price was cut.
2. It has been introduced in a value line (Platinum or Greatest Hits, Player's Choice)
3. It has almost no demand and thus no resale value.

I don't understand why someone would pay full price only to return it and get less than half back...I'd much rather just wait and buy it on clearence or at a greatly reduced price. If I do pay full price, it's going to be a game I actually want to be in my library for a good long while.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='whiteboy']i only have 11 games between the 3 home systems. i just dont see how anyone would keep all of their games. the way i see it is if im done playing a game and i can replace it with something new than why not make that exchange? i do keep some games for very long periods of time if i really love them but most just go back where i bought them. i think its the most cheapass way to do video games, when you buy a $50 game its like your paying for an expensive rental that you keep as long as you want then return for a 30-20 dollar rebate. i dont collect video games, I try to experience as many as i can.[/quote]

I think you're drastically overestimating the amount of money you could get back out of a game. Unless you only plan to have a game for 2-3 months, it's very likely that:

1. The retail price was cut.
2. It has been introduced in a value line (Platinum or Greatest Hits, Player's Choice)
3. It has almost no demand and thus no resale value.

I don't understand why someone would pay full price only to return it and get less than half back...I'd much rather just wait and buy it on clearence or at a greatly reduced price. If I do pay full price, it's going to be a game I actually want to be in my library for a good long while.[/quote]

I'm gonna have agree with JSweeney here. Plus it's pure profit from the company because it just added to their bottom line because they get to sell the same game twice. So if u want to exprience games just wait until they get to GH since u don't collect.

[quote name='"JSweeney"'][quote name='whiteboy']I don't understand why someone would pay full price only to return it and get less than half back...I'd much rather just wait and buy it on clearence or at a greatly reduced price. If I do pay full price, it's going to be a game I actually want to be in my library for a good long while.[/quote]

It's about utility value (how much worth you get out of something). Sometimes the anticipation and subsequent hype surrounding a game make it worth getting at it's inception. That enjoyment is something I cannot affix a price value to. I don't mind paying $50 for a game that I know I will enjoy, and then trading it in for $15 to $30 credit when I'm done with it. I'm more concerned with the value of enjoyment I get from playing that game - it's (usually) worth at least $20 for me to play, even if it's just once.

Technically, who's to say that anyone would be willing to pay anything for a used game? I have a proclivity to steer away from used games. I don't like the idea of one of my games being previously handled by someone else (I like to "christen" games, if you will, by opening them myself), so I generally won't buy them. Same with CDs and DVDs. New or nothing. There are exceptions, but they are very rare. My point is, I'm happy to get ANYTHING (within reason) for a game that I trade in, because the game in question has pretty much no worth to me anymore. The money I "lose" is the cost of an unwise decision. having said that, I haven't traded in a game in years now - I like to think I've gotten pretty good at selecting games that suit my tastes. So, although the justification is a little costly, all the money that I "lost" went to teach me to refine my tastes, weigh options and choose the best fit, and overall how to be more selective.

Better for someone else to attempt to enjoy it than to have it collect dust in my library.

I guess I'm kind of a snob. So what.

bread's done
Back