video game references in song lyrics

JEKKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
any1 kno any good ones?!?!?!

I heard a few songs over these past weeks that inspired me to make a thread!!

Vakill - The King Meets the Sickest
"You are now f***in with a n***a that heat holds/
and reloads like God sent me a Grand Theft Auto ammunition cheat code"

Del the Funky Homosapien - Offspring
"Super Powers like the US, and USSR/
blow you like the Death Star/
leave your chest scarred like Sagat"

Apathy - Can't Leave Rap Alone
Celph Titled: "The Rubix Cuban's at your door, but I ain't singin no carols/
I'm like Donkey Kong, I got you n***as dodgin my barrels"

Demigodz - Off the Chrome
Apathy: "I'll crack ya trachea like Dracula in Castlevania/
body slam, crack ya back like Wrestlemania"

Jedi Mind Tricks - Death March
"Bring the gun, your tounge is what I'm slicing/
We slap tracks and attack like M. Bison"

Casual - Say That Then
"Record companies don't want me on after they rapper/
coz for real I make em look like Parappa tha Rapper"

dat's all I can think of rite now... more later, hopefully

Beastie Boys - "Body Movin'"
"And if you play Defender I could be your hyper space"

And this entire album:
pacmanfeveralbummi6.jpg

How could you forget the classic?

Notorious BIG- Juicy
"super nintendo, sega genesis, when I was dead broke man I never pictured this"

Oh also and the entire Del song Protoculture.. Just a sample:

"I play games by Capcom with a power glove strapped on
On any platform, I don't spend my dough on Phat Farm
Video games, I got many to play
Before my life expires; fufill my desires"

"Rival schools, Batsu
Purchase you ought to
It came with one free CD, it's like I bought two
I hope they make part II for Dreamcast
Cause games I've seen in mags, you won't believe they have!"

Big Tymers Featuring B.G. - Stuntastic
"Don't forget the whip - twenty-inches and TV's
Navigation system, Dreamcast, all in the Bentley"

Big Tymers - Get Your Roll On

"I...like...loud pipes
Big..rims....mo ice
V-twelves...or better
No...itch....strictly leather
Playstation....DVD's"

Hot Boys - Flossin Season

"Rolex, PlayStations in the Hummer"

oh yea and i forgot:

Mike Jones feat. Slim Thug- Still Tippin'

"Smokin on that indo, gamecube nintendo, 5 percent tint so you cant see up in my window"

lol

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I believe there is a Bloodhound Gang song that depicts Pac Man on crack. Can't remember it's name though.[/QUOTE] Mope

I know I've heard a song that mentions Tekken, but I can't place it. :whistle2:k

But we get it how we live- never live and learn,
Gotta talk about the flow, cuz we is concerned,
Only Down South rapper coulda been in a firm,
Or the Comission or Wu-Tang nigga,
Try'na tell you I could kick it like Liu Kang, nigga,
Got that Sub-Zero flow how you want me, Ma,
Make her get ova here like Scor-pi-on.

- Lil' Wayne: "Show Me What You Got (Remix)"

Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds (Not the game Final Fantasy, the group Final Fantasy)

He swam! To the edge of the wall of the world!
Followed my voice, and he cried
Master! The answer is maybe... Maybe not... Maybe not...
Maybe not! I have goals!
Gotta fulfill the seven prophecies!
Gotta be a friend to grandmother!
Gotta rescue Michael from the White Witch!
Gotta find and kill my shadow self
Gotta dig up every secret seashell
You may have been made for love...
But I'm just made.

-Zelda Refrences
----

Eifel 65

My Console

We’re gonna play the game the playstation all day
With metal gear solid to tekken three
And from omega boost to resident evil
Just play for the fun cause we've got it going on

Tekken three, metal gear solid
Resident evil, gran turismo
Omega boost, bloody rhoar
X-files, another world
Come on, ridge racer, odd world
We get a living that came in our posession

P L A Y S T A T I O N

---

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I believe there is a Bloodhound Gang song that depicts Pac Man on crack. Can't remember it's name though.[/QUOTE]

mope

[quote name='Quatli']How could you forget the classic?

Notorious BIG- Juicy
"super nintendo, sega genesis, when I was dead broke man I never pictured this"[/QUOTE]I didnt forget it,

I jus wanna avoid lyrics that mention console names,

it's really not that hard, or impressive, to do. regardless of how classic biggie's line is as well.

I also consciously didnt mention Proto Culture either, it's an entire game song lol.

to ppl who do not kno, Del performed this song at the Dreamcast launch party:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ui-4CTI-Gk[/media]

[quote name='2poor']Tom Sawyer- Rush?[/QUOTE]

Despite the awesome episode of Futurama where Fry listens to his "Rush Mix Tape" while playing an arcade game, there is no reference to video games in the lyrics. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Rush kicks ass and deserves to been in this topic anyway.

[quote name='valor19']Despite the awesome episode of Futurama where Fry listens to his "Rush Mix Tape" while playing an arcade game, there is no reference to video games in the lyrics. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Rush kicks ass and deserves to been in this topic anyway.[/quote]

Damn. I should just stick to hip-hop.

[quote name='Kayden']Why does the fact that those are mostly rap songs shame me?[/QUOTE]

Because some idiots hate rap just to hate rap- regardless of whether its actually clever or not.

Here's a none rap song: Weird Al Yankovic - You're Pitiful
"You're half undressed
Eatin' chips off your chest
While you're playin' Halo 2
No one's classier than you"

[quote name='thestuff']Horse the Band has a few. Listen to Birdo or Cutsman. Both awesome awesome songs.[/quote]

fuck yeah, they play that old school NES zelda dungeon music too.

[quote name='Greetard']Because some idiots hate rap just to hate rap- regardless of whether its actually clever or not.[/quote]

I'm sure my distaste for rap is all about it being a black medium. It has nothing to do with the glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general or the fact that these people make up stupid sounding words, butcher the English language and encourage children to follow suit.

You're right, I hate rap just because its rap. There's no reasoning behind it what so ever.

[quote name='Kayden']I'm sure my distaste for rap is all about it being a black medium. It has nothing to do with the glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general or the fact that these people make up stupid sounding words, butcher the English language and encourage children to follow suit.

You're right, I hate rap just because its rap. There's no reasoning behind it what so ever.[/QUOTE]

I never said anything about "black mediums"- did I? I honestly can't recall. Hold on, let me check....

Nope. Nuthin'. Never said shit about the black folk. Not a single word. I could insinuate that that was just your subconscious talkin', a la Freud, but then you could insinuate that I was unfairly taking your words out of context.

...But then I could insinuate that much of the rock and roll lifestyle holds an incredible number of similarities to the rap lifestyle (drugs, sex, money), only that some rockers mask their addictions and gluttonous behavior with fake shows of emotion in their music (which, to people like you, make them somehow "better"). I could then further insinuate that influencing kids to slab on mascara and cut themselves, squeeze into tight leather and snort coke, down some "X" and flail around glo-sticks, or throw on a wife-beater and pride themselves with over-patriotism would be just as bad as acting "ghetto" and smokin' some weed. Hell, I could insinutate even further that that, much like the ones I've just made, is just a broad generalization that holds no water when taking into account all of the good-to-do "hip-hop" artists that actually have something meaningul to say.

But, ya' know what? I think I'll just keep your type of "know-it-all" philosophical bullshit to a low and leave your ignorant-ass comment alone so I can be on my merry way...

Listening to Nas and Talib. Dick.

[quote name='Kayden']I'm sure my distaste for rap is all about it being a black medium. It has nothing to do with the glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general or the fact that these people make up stupid sounding words, butcher the English language and encourage children to follow suit.

You're right, I hate rap just because its rap. There's no reasoning behind it what so ever.[/QUOTE]

Why do people always have to turn things racial >_> You dont like rap, no one cares.
[quote name='Kayden']Its actually hard to pick who I want to lose this more. Sure, JT is loud, ignorant, abrasive and delusional, but Kotaku is fucking Kotaku...[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with JT? What makes him ignorant and delusional? Could it be because he thinks of videogames as "the glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general and encourage children to follow suit."

Stop being a hypocrite. Only difference between you guys is that he feels that way towards videogames and you feel that way towards rap. I do agree that both of you are ignorant though.

A simple, "it doesnt suite my taste" would suffice next time instead of trying to ridicule those of us which do like rap.

(As a side note, sorry for being off topic OP).
Redman
Lets Get Dirty
"My dress code is all black when I'm makin the moves
Similar to the new Playstation 2"

:roll: You left out the moderately minor fact that I'm not crusading against rap trying to get it banned across the country. That, and I've actually listend to a wide sample of rap. I don't think Jack Thompson even knows how to turn on a console. I'm not pushing my views on anyone nor did I say anything about people that like rap. Greetard said only an idiot would say he hates rap just for shits and giggles. I was merely giving him my reasons.

As for the race, that was satirical in that most people I hear complain about rap just call it :ninja: music. I was trying to say that that was infact not my beef with it.

[quote name='Weedy649']Why do people always have to turn things racial >_> You dont like rap, no one cares.

Whats wrong with JT? What makes him ignorant and delusional? Could it be because he thinks of videogames as "the glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general and encourage children to follow suit."

Stop being a hypocrite. Only difference between you guys is that he feels that way towards videogames and you feel that way towards rap. I do agree that both of you are ignorant though.

A simple, "it doesnt suite my taste" would suffice next time instead of trying to ridicule those of us which do like rap.

(As a side note, sorry for being off topic OP).
Redman
Lets Get Dirty
"My dress code is all black when I'm makin the moves
Similar to the new Playstation 2"[/quote]

Although it doesn't have any game-inspired lyrics, Matthew Sweet did release a disc called "Altered Beast". To quote Wikipedia, "The name of the album is based off of the early Sega Genesis game Altered Beast."

[quote name='Kayden']I'm sure my distaste for rap is all about it being a black medium. It has nothing to do with the glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general or the fact that these people make up stupid sounding words, butcher the English language and encourage children to follow suit.[/QUOTE]it's common that hip-hop is a scapegoat, but the reasons why it is so is due to subtle racism and prejudice.

Without going into detail, there's a lot more ignorance in that statement than a large handful of my own posts combined.

saying things like this is like saying gluttony, greed, and mysogonism does not exist outside of rap culture.

People will show no hesitation to point fingers at rap music (whose exposure to the masses is mostly controlled by viacom in an effort to keep most people ignorant btw, which shows you are nothing more than one of their victims) while ignoring the stacks and displays of maxim & fhm at store counters.

anyway going back on topic,

Cannibal Ox - Atom
Vast Aire: "Some say I touch hearts like Kano/
Now every time you see a mic you just say no"

Brand Nubian - Who Wanna Be a Star?
Grand Puba: "Now you know we come with the bomb/
So hi-tech, see us on your DVD-ROM/
Get love from little kids like a Pokemon/
Everytime we spit that shit it be our word is bond"

not necessarily a true game reference, but I may as well post it

[quote name='Greetard']I never said anything about "black mediums"- did I? I honestly can't recall. Hold on, let me check....

Nope. Nuthin'. Never said shit about the black folk. Not a single word. I could insinuate that that was just your subconcious talkin', a la Freud, but then you could insinuate that I was unfairly taking your words out of context.

...But then I could insinuate that much of the rock and roll lifestyle holds an incredible number of similarities to the rap lifestyle (drugs, sex, money), only that some rockers mask their addictions and gluttonous behavior with fake shows of emotion in their music (which, to people like you, make them somehow "better"). I could then further insinuate that influencing kids to slab on mascara and cut themselves, squeeze into tight leather and snort coke, down some "X" and flail around glo-sticks, or throw on a wife-beater and pride themselves with over-patriotism would be just as bad as acting "ghetto" and smokin' some weed. Hell, I could insinutate even further that that, much like the ones I've just made, is just a broad generalization that holds no water when taking into account all of the good-to-do "hip-hop" artists that actually have something meaningul to say.

But, ya' know what? I think I'll just keep your type of "know-it-all" philosophical bullshit to a low and leave your ignorant-ass comment alone so I can be on my merry way...

Listening to Nas and Talib. Dick.[/quote]

[quote name='Jekki']it's common that hip-hop is a scapegoat, but the reasons why it is so is due to subtle racism and prejudice.

Without going into detail, there's a lot more ignorance in that statement than a large handful of my own posts combined.

saying things like this is like saying gluttony, greed, and mysogonism does not exist outside of rap culture.

People will show no hesitation to point fingers at rap music (whose exposure to the masses is mostly controlled by viacom in an effort to keep most people ignorant btw, which shows you are nothing more than one of their victims) while ignoring the stacks and displays of maxim & fhm at store counters.[/quote]

Wow, both excellent statements :applause: . It's too funny that rap and video games are always a scapegoat for the way the world is.

I know that Wu-tang had to have some lyrics about video games in their songs. I'm going to have to dig some out. I'm pretty sure they used some samples:

RZA - Koto Chotan. I believe the sample was taken from Kakuto Chojin.

There was a fairly popular rap song a few years back that sampled Pac Man and was called "Game Over" I think. Not sure who did it, but the song always made me crack a smile when I stumbled over it on the radio due to the video game references.

Edit: "Game Over" - Lil Flip feat. Young Buck (G-Unit) and Bun B (UGK)
Did not have any direct references in the lyrics, but did use the game sound effects samples in the music.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']There was a fairly popular rap song a few years back that sampled Pac Man and was called "Game Over" I think. Not sure who did it, but the song always made me crack a smile when I stumbled over it on the radio due to the video game references.[/quote]

I was thinking about that too... Artist is Lil' Flip.

Actually, Beanie Sigel had a song that sampled Pac-Man too. I don't know if this is getting off topic. OP, did you just want lyrics?

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Wow, both excellent statements :applause: . It's too funny that rap and video games are always a scapegoat for the way the world is.

I know that Wu-tang had to have some lyrics about video games in their songs. I'm going to have to dig some out. I'm pretty sure they used some samples:

RZA - Koto Chotan. I believe the sample was taken from Kakuto Chojin.[/quote]

Found one, I knew Wu was all over this...

Wu-tang Clan (U-god verse) in Triumph:

"Tune spit the shitty Mortal Kombat sound
The fateful step make, the blood stain the ground"

I know there has to be many more.

[quote name='JEKKI']Del the Funky Homosapien - Offspring
"Super Powers like the US, and USSR/
blow you like the Death Star/
leave your chest scarred like Sagat[/QUOTE]
Del the Funky Homosapien has an entire song about videogames, I believe he performed it at the Dreamcast launch party. Its called 'Protoculture', probably in reference to Macross. I don't remember where the beat is from, Darkstalkers I think?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f05nvh

I never knew he was Ice Cube's cousin.

They ain't super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower

-Joe Budden "6 Minutes of Death"

Del is awesome. He sounds pretty hardcore when it comes to gaming. I wouldn't doubt he's been around here a few times either.

[quote name='Kayden']I'm sure my distaste for rap is all about it being a black medium.[/QUOTE]

This should be in somebody's signature.

I'm not saying it is the source of all evil. I'm just saying it seems to glamorize those traits the most out of all forms of music.

I don't like 99% of all country either, but that doesn't have much to do with anything.

[quote name='JEKKI']it's common that hip-hop is a scapegoat, but the reasons why it is so is due to subtle racism and prejudice.

People will show no hesitation to point fingers at rap music (whose exposure to the masses is mostly controlled by viacom in an effort to keep most people ignorant btw, which shows you are nothing more than one of their victims) while ignoring the stacks and displays of maxim & fhm at store counters.

anyway going back on topic,

Cannibal Ox - Atom
Vast Aire: "Some say I touch hearts like Kano/
Now every time you see a mic you just say no"

Brand Nubian - Who Wanna Be a Star?
Grand Puba: "Now you know we come with the bomb/
So hi-tech, see us on your DVD-ROM/
Get love from little kids like a Pokemon/
Everytime we spit that shit it be our word is bond"

not necessarily a true game reference, but I may as well post it[/quote]

[quote name='galvatron2k1']Wow, both excellent statements :applause: . It's too funny that rap and video games are always a scapegoat for the way the world is.

RZA - Koto Chotan. I believe the sample was taken from Kakuto Chojin.[/QUOTE]

Wu-tang clan HAD their own game for ps1, so technically every song is a reference!

[quote name='Kayden']I'm just saying it seems to glamorize those traits the most out of all forms of music.[/QUOTE]

I really don't see any difference in replacing rap with video games when it comes to a statement like this. It's something people assume out of ignorance and your previous statements and use of "it seems" only supports that.

:roll:

You think this is a game? This ain't no RPG
mc chris is just a brand homes, that shit is hardly me
Tryin to hustle for the dollar, and get somethin to eat
Pay my bills, buy some games, and perhaps a little weed
Is that too much to ask? Do I seem too defensive?
Pensive over lessons that some fans are double guessin?
You guessed it; and how does an MC stay impressive
to all the naysayers, knuckleheads, and rubberneckers?
By mic checkin I reckon, reflect a moment or second
On the most bad-ass tag team you seen since Tekken
Representin like I'm Fenton, all ass I kick
mc chris will let you in if you don't start no shit, c'mon!

Not the one I was thinking about earlier, but it does mention Tekken.

Another one from MC Chris...

The end of 'White Kids Love Hip-Hop' has Brak rambling on, and one of his rants is:

"Blockbuster never has any good games in. I don't want to play 'Bombad Racing'. I mean, what the heck is that?!"

:roll:

If I'm the ignorant ass here, why am I the only one that didn't jump into name calling? I said "it seems" to say that, in my experience, rap is the most prevalent offender, not that nothing else does it, or it wouldn't exist without rap; just that in the spectrum of music, rap does it the most.

I don't understand how you guys associate that with me attacking you or blaming everything on rap.

Are there videogames that use excessive swearing or use sex tastelessly? Yes. Do I like those anymore than rap? No. If the subject was tasteless videogames I have no shortage of games I could name that are offensive just for the sake of being shocking, like a 10 years old with the word fuck. I played the demo of Saints Row for about 10 minutes. After hearing the word nigger about a dozen times and numerous other profain words, I just got fed up and lost any interest in the game. Am I a puritan? Shit no. I just don't see the point of being crude to the extreme for no reason beyond being "edgy". Kingpin was the same way. Everyone said fuck every three seconds. There are numerous other games, but thats not really the point.
I said out of all forms of music, rap has the most to do with "glorification of gluttony and greed, the degradation of woman and people in general [and] the fact that these people make up stupid sounding words, butcher the English language and encourage children to follow suit..." I didn't say rap is the only place where you find bad things in the world!

Furthermore, equating rap, which is a subset of music, to the entire spectrum of videogames is just foolish. I don't see the analogy at all. Are you saying a lot of videogames promote flossing, doing drugs and pimping bitches? Do some? Yeah, but on the other hand, any that come to my mind have a heavy urban/rap influence to them to begin with.

But before you guys go flying off the handle again, just keep in mind a few things. One, I'm not forcing my opinions on you; I made one statement that I was 'attacked' for so I elaborated upon it. I'm not condemning anyone that enjoys rap. I said I don't like it and gave reasons why. I didn't say something like anyone that likes rap must be a moron or all rappers should burn because they're sinners! Do I enjoy rap? Not in the slightest (Well... Deichkind does kick obscene amounts of ass, but thats in German...). Am I going to go around saying you're an idiot for liking it? No again. I'm not the one attacking others for their ideas or perceptions.

"saying things like this is like saying gluttony, greed, and mysogonism does not exist outside of rap culture."

No, its not even remotely close. I was talking about music. How you guys extrapolated it to encompass the entirety of humanity, I have no idea. You play me a track by Garth Brooks about popping Vicoden, or Sheryl Crow about slapping hoes and I'll retract everything.

I generally try to avoid blanket statements using every/all/none/never. Is there rap that isn't about drugs, prostitution or buying ridiculously expensive cars just to say you can piss away money? Yes, of course there is. Do other genres of music talk about the same concepts? Again, yes, however, nowhere to the same degree nor would I listen to it or like it.

What to you associate with grills or obnoxiously large gold chains or other obnoxiously excessive displays of wealth? Rap music? Is it a misconception, a scapegoat or an ignorant prejudice? Maybe, but I don't really care how accurate the image is. If the majority of rap isn't as such and doesn't appreciate the association, they should change it. But again, that really has nothing to do with what I first said.

[quote name='siamesellama']I really don't see any difference in replacing rap with video games when it comes to a statement like this. It's something people assume out of ignorance and your previous statements and use of "it seems" only supports that.[/quote]

Yeah, jumped on Kayden a bit too quickly.
I have to agree with him. (though his original comment did seem antagonistic)

I don't like most rap, but it's not for the same reasons as him.
I don't care about the cursing, the gluttony, greed, and mysogonism. Eh, I've heard and seen worse.
Mainstream rap just recycles and recycles, just like mainstream country, and mainstream rock. (heck even indie artists are guilty)

If it's clever, and catchy, it stands a chance. That's pretty limited in the rap genre these days. which is why my rap section is only about 2 rows long, and most of it is late 70s, early 80s.

By comparison, my 60s girl groups section is 4 rows and counting.

[quote name='Kayden']What to you associate with grills or obnoxiously large gold chains or other obnoxiously excessive displays of wealth?[/QUOTE]

Nothing I listen to at least. Rap I listen to has little to do with an image and more to do with the art behind it. What you describe are artists you're being fed by mass media. I'm not calling you ignorant, but rather I see this as ignorance in this field.

You're taking a bunch of stereotypes and denying them. It seems in doing so your intention is to further drive that stereotype home. I cringe every time I hear the words "bitches" and "hoes" in a discussion about rap music and hip-hop in general because 99% of the time it's coming from someone who knows nothing about rap music.

As I do with everyone who makes these statements, I challenge you to, off the top of your head - no Google here, name some hip-hop icons that define the genre to you. If 50 Cent or Eminem are anywhere on that list, your perception of the art form is grossly construed by mass media and I would hope you give the lesser-known and more noble MCs and producers a chance.

And once again, I have to agree with Greetard 100% in that your comment defending your opinion starting with a comment on it being a "black medium" completely defined the tone of your arguments from that point on. That's like me walking in to work and saying "I don't like Jim, not because he's black, but because he's a poor employee." You can't get away from a comment like that, especially one that wasn't instigated.

Finally, my comment comparing video games and rap. It's about people looking at mainstream rap and generalizing, just as people looking at mainstream video games and generalizing. You saying you don't like rap because the majority of it holds contents you don't care for is the same as my mother saying she doesn't like video games because of the explicit content. Both arguments ignore major ascepts of each media.

[quote name='siamesellama'] As I do with everyone who makes these statements, I challenge you to, off the top of your head - no Google here, name some hip-hop icons that define the genre to you. If 50 Cent or Eminem are anywhere on that list, your perception of the art form is grossly construed by mass media and I would hope you give the lesser-known and more noble MCs and producers a chance.[/quote]
I think the most recent rapper I actually took a shine to (despite shitty production values) was Oh No.

I should dig that CD up, but I'm currently obsessed with Lloyd Cole.
I'm glad this topic made me think of him again though.

Really, most of my exposure to rap music recently has been whatever that motherfucker driving down the road at 2am is blaring and making my windows shake... so that may contribute to some of the bias. :lol:

Honestly, day to day all I hear in the warehouse is *thump*thump*Bently*thump*thump*blingaz!*thump*thump*weed! I couldn't name the artist, nor do I ever hope to. My roommates used to watch MTV and it would be shit like Chingy or Lil Bow-wow. Beyond that, I could really only name older stuff that was Gangsta rap which I find equally asinine. Its not your turf, you don't own shit. Sit down, go back to school and shut the fuck up. But that may just again be the mainstream influence.

I used to find Busta Rhymes atleast tollerable. Beastie Boys are ok, their content is pretty good, but they can still be annoying just due to the fact its 3 middle aged white boys. :lol: And actually, out of all rap, I think I like Eminem the most. I know he symbolizes everything I hate about rap, but he just plays it up so much it goes beyond shock value and lands in hysterical. I find it funny because he's not serious about anything. The thing I am annoyed by most about mainstream rap is that they take themselves so seriously and honestly think that raping about how much money they have is cool. I like MM because he just comes flat out and says look at me, I'm fucking retarded! I actually understand his message. He's trying to be shocking just to push buttons, not because its just kewl to be shocking.

[quote name='siamesellama']Nothing I listen to at least. Rap I listen to has little to do with an image and more to do with the art behind it. What you describe are artists you're being fed by mass media. I'm not calling you ignorant, but rather I see this as ignorance in this field.

You're taking a bunch of stereotypes and denying them. It seems in doing so your intention is to further drive that stereotype home. I cringe every time I hear the words "bitches" and "hoes" in a discussion about rap music and hip-hop in general because 99% of the time it's coming from someone who knows nothing about rap music.

As I do with everyone who makes these statements, I challenge you to, off the top of your head - no Google here, name some hip-hop icons that define the genre to you. If 50 Cent or Eminem are anywhere on that list, your perception of the art form is grossly construed by mass media and I would hope you give the lesser-known and more noble MCs and producers a chance.

And once again, I have to agree with Greetard 100% in that your comment defending your opinion starting with a comment on it being a "black medium" completely defined the tone of your arguments from that point on. That's like me walking in to work and saying "I don't like Jim, not because he's black, but because he's a poor employee." You can't get away from a comment like that, especially one that wasn't instigated.

Finally, my comment comparing video games and rap. It's about people looking at mainstream rap and generalizing, just as people looking at mainstream video games and generalizing. You saying you don't like rap because the majority of it holds contents you don't care for is the same as my mother saying she doesn't like video games because of the explicit content. Both arguments ignore major ascepts of each media.[/quote]

I was going to point you to Chrome Children vol. 2 but, unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's available for free anymore. It has a ton of jazz, funk and soul influence as well as some class hip-hop flavor in there. If you can find it, get it! I feel like it's a solid sample of what is good in the genre today.

[quote name='JEKKI']it's common that hip-hop is a scapegoat, but the reasons why it is so is due to subtle racism and prejudice.

[/QUOTE]

Here's my problem with this (weak, in my opinion) defense that frequently comes up when rap music is attacked.

First off, pointing your finger at other "offenders" and saying "they do it too!" should be reserved for 3rd graders and politicians - they're on about the same intelligence level. Something is either bad or good, it is not bad only if nobody else is doing it also.

Second, while there is validity in the statement that other genres of music suffer from the same failings of rap, they are not so inexorably permiated by anti-social glorification to the point that the genres would implode on themselves without promoting said vices.

If you take all the "R" or "X" - Rated Rock Songs away, for example, you still have a nice bucket of quality songs left that stand on their own merits - a great deal of which would be accepted by the majority of "Rock listeners". If you take all the "R" or "X" rap away what do you have left? Rap is so defined and married to anti-social behavior that it is extremely difficult to separate one from the other - which is my problem with rap music.

There is a difference between a medium (rock music was stated earlier) where anti-social behavior is one piece of the puzzle; and a medium where anti-social behavior is every piece in the puzzle. I don't like rap because the messages of the songs have never appealed to me and regardless of whether or not you like rap being "blamed" for society's ills, I don't know how anyone can say that glorifying such incredibly bad behavior and lifestyles can be good for anyone.

On the "does music encourage/contribute to behavior" front, funny how many people who would take offense to this statement would flip out if you took away their headphones before their next football/basketball/soccer game. Or would you prefer to have your girlfriend over for a nice romantic dinner with a little Nine Inch Nails playing softly in the background to set the mood - you know, because music doesn't really affect bahavior, right?

That whole "you can't prove my music (and yes, even video games and other forms of leisure/entertainment) affects people's behavior" argument is one that anthropologists and psychologists will no doubt laugh about 200 years from now when they're studying our society the way we snicker about how the Greeks really believed Zeus was throwing lighning bolts at people from the sky, etc.

[quote name='JEKKI']

[/QUOTE]

I would also point my fingers at Maxim and FHM. I used to read both as they were "community magazines" where I worked out for a while. They had some good guy-related articles (one in particular was about a guy who played the role of the criminal at the FBI training facilities in Virginia - very cool). However, there was so much trash in both magazines I couldn't justify continuing to read them - even though I wasn't technically supporting them financially I didn't want to expose myself to that kind of trash anymore.

I think rap is an easier target in that there are a lot more people who don't like it and it "offends" on a broader scale (FHM and Maxim offend primarily on degradation of women - rap covers murder, hate/rage, theft, the list goes on). It's safer to attack rap music because its span of offense is much broader. However, I will gladly agree with you that these magazines and many like them are contributing negatively to society...and as a society we reward them financially for it...

[quote name='chosen1s']If you take all the "R" or "X" rap away what do you have left? Rap is so defined and married to anti-social behavior that it is extremely difficult to separate one from the other - which is my problem with rap music.[/QUOTE]

But not all areas of rap music are built on this. Your claim that taking away "R" and "X" rated rap away will destroy the genre is destroyed when you look at the underground that doesn't rely on this image you present. This is not to say all mainstream artists lack credibility either.

bread's done
Back