video game store gross margins

steve_k

CAGiversary!
I went to the local video game store (3D Games) to browze their inventory. I was shocked at how high the prices were for 8-bit NES and 16-bit SNES games. I decided to bring in a few of my own for a quote. I went home and dug the very best games from my game room including Super Mario All Stars, Contra, Super C, Contra 3, Castlevania, and pretty much all of the games instantly remembered by most when the NES or SNES is mentioned. I also brought in a few of my scarcer, more in-demand games for other consoles (Silent Hill, Symphony of the Night, Thunder Force 5 just to name a few). These were the same games in 3D games' inventory with outrageoulsly high sticker prices.

3D games offered me roughly 10% to 15% of thier asking prices and commented that my games were in 'very good' condition. I asked if their offer was low because of the law of supply and demand and if there simply was no demand for the games I brought it. The guy agreed. I asked what was in demand, and his only reponse was 'it depends'. I kindly declined the offer and said 'thanks' for letting me know what my games are worth.

Is it typical for a resell company to offer only 10% to 15% from the general public? Why would anyone trade in their games for such low values? Are people really so desperate for money that they are willing to take 15% of the value of their stuff? Obviously, 3D games (and probably Gamestop) has made the observation that people are willing to sell their stuff for next to nothing. Am I the one being unfair by expecting more than a 15% offer?

I understand the store has other expenses to pay and still must make a profit and cannot pay the same for their games as what they sell them for. The core conept of any business is to add value to society, or in the case or resell, buy low and sell high. My complaint is the high percentage markup. I would expect a markup of 20 to 30 percent with strong profits with steady sales, but to offer $3 for a game and then sell it for $27 sounds a bit greedy to me. This is just one example of the many I brought in.

It's old news really. It all depends on the store.

I have a shop near me called Gorilla Games. They are literally within 3 minutes WALKING distance from my house, yet I vowed never to enter their store again because of how disgustingly bad their trade in values are. Offering me $2 for a game they turn around and mark at $30. I traded in a boxed Sega Genesis for $20 to them, and they priced it at $180, lmao. They're just awful.

Couple miles down the road I have a much better store called Game Force. They give me $12.50 for a game they price at $20. That's legitimate. Only problem is the owner is a bit unprofessional. I'm all for a laid back atmosphere, but at times he comes off as unwelcoming. I could tell he wasn't very happy when I used some of my trade in credit to buy some of his rarer stock.

They all have their pros and cons... just gotta find out which store is best. Gorilla Games has an extremely friendly atmosphere, but their TIVs and prices are idiotic. Game Force is much fairer, but you're made to feel a bit uneasy about using your store credit on his more expensive items. I ended up going with Game Force, because no customer service can substitute for poor pricing.

a lot of trade ins are from people getting rid of junk in their closet. They are not going to care how much they get, they just want it gone.

The low buying prices are usually justified by them not knowing how long they will have to hold onto your game to command the high price that the game is actually worth. If they had ready buyers for them, they *might* offer you a little more; but if they already have one (or more) copies of the game, they might have to sit on your "extra" one for months before it sells.

[quote name='steve_k']The core conept of any business is to add value to society, or in the case or resell, buy low and sell high. [/QUOTE]

The core concept of any business is to make money, period. Otherwise it's not a business.

Unfortunately the crap prices are the reality of doing business. If you're not willing to list the games, throw them on a marketplace, and risk crappy buyers then you've really got no other choice. You've also got to take into account just how much it costs to keep a roof over their head and their lights on, etc. Running a business is NOT cheap!

[quote name='Blaster man']According to most sites, they get 10-15%.[/QUOTE]

Who does? People trading in their games or the stores buying them?

bread's done
Back