Video Games and Resolutions

zedrein

CAG Veteran
If anyone here is anything like me, then you probably like to play your games in the sharpest, brightest, and most colorful way possible.

For modern gamers this is easier than ever, but for all of us that are into 8 & 16 bit titles, this is more difficult.

I did some research and found this: http://nfggames.com/atarilabs/meat/2000/1201_rgbprimer.shtml

Essentially it's very beneficial to play video games where the Red, Green, and Blue colors are all transmitted seperately. Sadly most American televisions aren't properly outiftted to do this, so the next option is to buy a RGB monitor (which stopped being made in the early 90's)

Just to save alot of discussion, finding a old console capable RGB monitor is expensive and difficult, that's why I recently invested in the Wii VGA cables (a VGA monitor is a RGB monitor that has a different frequency rate) The only problem is most modern VGA monitors have huge resolutions like mine (1280x1240) Once again this is great for modern games, but for Super Mario Bros. which is 256x240, this is not good, these low resolutions will be blown up 5 times their original size! Making for IMO, a bad rendering.

So my question to you all is, does there exist a low res VGA monitor that would better suit playing 8-16bit games on? If so, I'd like to know about them. Also, if you have screenshots of Virtual Console games running on Hi-res monitors, I'd love to see them, just to get different perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back