Video Games Live is AMAZING!!!

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I hate Tommy Tallarico's personality. The guy is so fucking annyoing. I hated him on Electric Playground too. He gave Nintendo titles such low fucking scores seemingly just because he able to.
At any rate, the Phoenix show was fun (My friend even got called to stage to play the Space Invaders game. He said it's incredibly difficult and unresponsive)[/QUOTE]

the reason for lack of response on that space invaders game was because they made it sound like you were being tracked by some system. WRONG it was someone else controlling it and watching the player on stage moving.

I could understand if she was on a DDR type of pad, as it would have made it easier to move, but she couldn't fucking listen to directions to move ACROSS the stage.

[quote name='Foolman']ITD, I was in your row. How close were you to the GoNintendo guys? Rawmeat Cowboy was in the seat directly behind me.

Looks like I liked it more than you did. Only thing I really disliked was how Tommy Talarico(sp?) was acting. He kinda looked like he wanted more spotlight. The GoNintendo people were really loud also. One of the women kept screaming in my ear. The music was wonderful, except there was some sort of slowdown at the beginning of One Winged Angel.[/QUOTE]

I was on the far right of the second row.

my gf and I where sitting next to what appeared to be a 6f3i guy with a 5f3i girl (kinda cute) to our right. The guy kept on hitting the chairs and shaking it a bit :|

here I was :) seats 18 and 16.

VGLTICKET.jpg

stage.jpg

the seats infront of us where mostly empty but everything behind us was packed. Thank god the air conditioning was working perfectly.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, I hate Tommy Tallarico's personality. The guy is so fucking annyoing. I hated him on Electric Playground too. He gave Nintendo titles such low fucking scores seemingly just because he able to.
At any rate, the Phoenix show was fun (My friend even got called to stage to play the Space Invaders game. He said it's incredibly difficult and unresponsive)[/QUOTE]

yea that Tommy guy was kinda annoying too. Did you see how he was jamming that guitar??!?!?

If anyone was there a bit earlier, they would have noticed some other music playing through the speakers. I heard Castlevania music and WAS expecting to hear castlevania music...but no castlevania music. :( Damn Canadians you get Castlevania music in your VGL but we don't??!??!

[quote name='Foolman']ITD, I was in your row. How close were you to the GoNintendo guys? Rawmeat Cowboy was in the seat directly behind me.

Looks like I liked it more than you did. Only thing I really disliked was how Tommy Talarico(sp?) was acting. He kinda looked like he wanted more spotlight. The GoNintendo people were really loud also. One of the women kept screaming in my ear. The music was wonderful, except there was some sort of slowdown at the beginning of One Winged Angel.[/QUOTE]

the gonintendo guys or the OCremix guys??

far right, second row of the right seating section. I thought that Tommy guy was going to fall out and trip when he got out of the MGS Box. When i saw the Terrorist guy, I was like what the fuck?!?!?

I was at the show on Saturday as well and had a great time.

WTF is up with Square not agreeing to have game footage shown? Really dumb decision.

Tommy didn't bother me, but then I always loved Judgment Day. I thought Sid Meier being there in person was pretty neat and there were at least 3 (counting Tommy) of the music composers there in person.

Piano dude was amazing.

At the very beginning of the show, Tommy spat while he was talking. Almost hit a mom and her two kids that were sitting in the front row.
[quote name='ITDEFX']the gonintendo guys or the OCremix guys??
[/quote]
GoNintendo guys.
[quote name='wubb']

Piano dude was amazing.[/quote]
It's insane how much more he moves when he can actually see what he's doing. But just looking at the orchestra's faces while he was playing, you could see how amazed all of them were.

I did enjoy the two guys sitting directly behind me (one of them was the guy who lost at Frogger) They were very passionate about their video games. Dude hissed when the MGS2 title screen flashed briefly and went ape when Tommy announced Halo was the (first/fake) encore. And by ape I mean cursing and ranting about how bad Halo sucks.

The other one stood when Tommy asked for anyone who had served in the armed forces to stand up. His buddy chided him to sit down because he hadn't served like Tommy means (or something like that). So I don't know if the guy thought Tommy wanted anyone who had ever played a war game to stand up or what? I ended up losing it and barely held myself from laughing my ass off over the first minute or so of the WWII montage.

If either of those two are CAGers, thanks for the extra entertainment!

[quote name='wubb']I did enjoy the two guys sitting directly behind me (one of them was the guy who lost at Frogger) They were very passionate about their video games. Dude hissed when the MGS2 title screen flashed briefly and went ape when Tommy announced Halo was the (first/fake) encore. And by ape I mean cursing and ranting about how bad Halo sucks.

The other one stood when Tommy asked for anyone who had served in the armed forces to stand up. His buddy chided him to sit down because he hadn't served like Tommy means (or something like that). So I don't know if the guy thought Tommy wanted anyone who had ever played a war game to stand up or what? I ended up losing it and barely held myself from laughing my ass off over the first minute or so of the WWII montage.

If either of those two are CAGers, thanks for the extra entertainment![/QUOTE]

well it wasn't me behind you that's for sure :) I Agree the WW2 segment was useless. Felt like it was a time waster to fill in the gaps. Yea I almost laughed when some 20 year olds got up and claimed they served in the armed forces, yet there giant pot bellies said other wise. Perhaps people thought playing 50 hours of Call of Duty games count as time served.

If you had a choice of music to be played, would you have selected the music we heard that night?

I personally wanted to hear castlevania music.

Castlevania would have been good.

I enjoyed the Zelda bit the most I'd say.

But I can't imagine a gamer not having a damn good time at that show.

Pyro - that reminds me that the sign outside the venue said it was sold out and it did look like pretty much every seat had a butt in it. I was wondering how the turn out would be.

[quote name='wubb']Castlevania would have been good.

I enjoyed the Zelda bit the most I'd say.

But I can't imagine a gamer not having a damn good time at that show.

Pyro - that reminds me that the sign outside the venue said it was sold out and it did look like pretty much every seat had a butt in it. I was wondering how the turn out would be.[/QUOTE]

well I can testify that the row infront of me had like 5-6 empty seats. Guess those were the no shows.

The theme of laura from Silent Hill 2(?) at play! last summer was great.. too bad it didn't show up here.
Did anyone buy any stuff? way to expensive for my budget.

Also did anyone else go to Tom Sarris Orlean's house (in alexandra) just before the show? my gf and I were there and had a great dinner.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Also did anyone else go to Tom Sarris Orlean's house (in alexandra) just before the show? my gf and I were there and had a great dinner.[/QUOTE]

Was there some sort of tie in with the show and eating at that place? We went to Rosa Mexicano before the show (it's across from the Verizon Center) first time I'd eaten there, really good.

I didn't buy any merch either. The shirts didn't appeal to me at all. Just couldn't see myself ever wearing it. Didn't bother checking out whatever other stuff they had.

[quote name='wubb']Was there some sort of tie in with the show and eating at that place? We went to Rosa Mexicano before the show (it's across from the Verizon Center) first time I'd eaten there, really good.

I didn't buy any merch either. The shirts didn't appeal to me at all. Just couldn't see myself ever wearing it. Didn't bother checking out whatever other stuff they had.[/QUOTE]

no , no tie in... just a great place to go to thats about 10 minutes from dc. I did see a bunch of people at that restaurant that *looked* like they might be going to the show.

Yea nothing worth buying. I heard there was going to be guitar hero contest before the show but we got there around 7:30. Where did everyone park? we were lucky to get parking in the KC, but man that parking garage is short. If I were 6 feet tall I would have banged my head against the celling!

[quote name='ITDEFX']no , no tie in... just a great place to go to thats about 10 minutes from dc. I did see a bunch of people at that restaurant that *looked* like they might be going to the show.

Yea nothing worth buying. I heard there was going to be guitar hero contest before the show but we got there around 7:30. Where did everyone park? we were lucky to get parking in the KC, but man that parking garage is short. If I were 6 feet tall I would have banged my head against the celling![/QUOTE]

I'll keep that place in mind. Just did a search and looks like it has good food and pretty reasonable prices.

I parked on Virginia Ave about 7 blocks from the KC. It's actually where I usually park when I'm going to a show there. Either on that avenue or the side street just beside it. Free and you don't have to deal with any waiting to get out after the show. Nearly got a spot barely a block from the Center, but it was gobbled up just before I got to it.

I was just thinking of starting up a new thread to spread the word on the Kickstarter, but decided to do a search first and found this. I'm surprised there isn't more support!

Honestly, I think it set its goal a bit too high. 150-175k seems about right for it, but when I first saw 250k, I knew it wasn't going to make it. And yes, Video Games Live is amazing, but it's recordings of video game music. You can already listen to the first 2 CDs on YouTube or Spotify without paying anything. 

My biggest problem is that the music being recorded isn't live, which is what made the first 2 albums pretty awesome. If they're just studio versions of the song. Take the music from Assassin's Creed, Halo, God of War and Skyrim for example, which are all already symphonic studio performances. What's going to set apart these new studio renditions of the song? A few guitars here and a few choir voices there? The music needs to be live. That way you don't have to pay for the complete studio costs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the pieces in VGL are arrangements of existing material, so you're not going to hear any of these on the soundtracks for the games. I'm thrilled that they're going the route of a studio album because the live recordings just aren't as enjoyable. $250,000 is less than I was anticipating on the goal, given the cost of artists, recording, remastering, etc.

I think what's hurting the Kickstarter is the obtuse pledge levels. It was a mess to navigate and it's still too wordy to really understand. Not having add-ons for physical merchandise is another missed opportunity.

I'm confident that they'll hit the $250,000 goal, but I was really hoping for another blu-ray. :(

6 days to get 75k is not going to make it unless they get a huge spike in pledgers.

And I'll have to disagree on the studio vs live argument, but that is something varies from person to person. 

I know a lot of folks at Salt Lake Comicon that will be pledging as a result of Tommy's advertising there. I suppose I'm trying to stay positive and share the information to try and bring in more pledges.

I saw this back in August or July. I can't remember. It was in Irvine, CA and there was way too much Blizzard. I wish I had put two and two together as Blizzard is headquartered in Irvine. They only did War3, WOW and Diablo crap. Hated it. Not even any War2.

The Journey suite was the highlight, but they didn't even do Zelda.

Anyway, I don't see why they need a Kickstarter. Tickets to these shows have been selling at a decent clip. Sounds like Mr. Tallarico doesn't want to put his own money up for this or finance it.

I think it will hit its goal, however. Kickstarters often have a spike in funding if people think they are worth it. The same thing happened to that Neverhood guy. At the end it was funded as if out of nowhere. Sort of like sniping an ebay auction.

You can read up on why they need the Kickstarter financing. They put up the money for the first bluray along with PBS helping with recording the show.

One of my favorite things about the mentality behind VGL is that it isn't all about money. They play some really small venues in addition to the big ones because they are so passionate about what they do.

I agree 100% about the Blizzard stuff, though it hasn't dominated the show any of the times I've attended. And sadly that's what is popular.

You can read up on why they need the Kickstarter financing. They put up the money for the first bluray along with PBS helping with recording the show.
The problem I have is that Video Games Live is already an established brand. They have done concerts, released videos and released CDs. There's nothing to "kickstart." It's already happening. I don't think it adheres to the purest spirit of the concept of crowdfunding. I think in these cases in which an established brand or studio uses Kickstarter to fund something that is already happening is just a way to put the risk of failure on someone else.

The problem I have is that Video Games Live is already an established brand. They have done concerts, released videos and released CDs. There's nothing to "kickstart." It's already happening. I don't think it adheres to the purest spirit of the concept of crowdfunding. I think in these cases in which an established brand or studio uses Kickstarter to fund something that is already happening is just a way to put the risk of failure on someone else.
I see your point. The next CD wouldn't be occurring unless funding came from somewhere though and he states in the description that they simply can't do it and they don't have a PBS backing them up this time.

Would you direct the same statement to WayForward's Shantae game, as they are an established company? How about an independent comic from a well-known, established artist (Sean Galloway) or CD from a musician (Toad the Wet Sprocket)? What projects should KickStarter be relegated to?

It would see the latest shout-out from Amazon got the Kickstarter over the 250k mark!

Also, screw the haters, Blizzard music is awesome.

bread's done
Back