Videogame pet peeves...

Bad camera-If I can't see what I'm doing how the hell am I supposed to play?

(Mainly applies to wrestling games) Bad Create a player modes- very little to customize, and your character comes off feeling like one of the characters already in the game.

Games that take very little skill

[quote name='BossFight']not to mention stealth levels that end immediately if you are spotted. its a little more bearable if you are spotted and end up just getting shot a little and you run away and hide again, but I HATE it when you are spotted and someone comes up on your radio or something and says, "You weren't supposed to be seen, mission failed!"[/quote]

I'm not a big stealth fan either, but I think XIII did a good job with it. If a guard saw you, he would try to pull the alarm but you had a chance to shoot him before he could. Saved my ass a couple of times.

[quote name='PsyClerk']-Jumping puzzles, especially in games that aren't platformers. Half-Life anyone?
[/quote]

"Jumping puzzles, I just love Jumping Puzzles" and "Yey! Another jumping puzzle"

--"Serious" Sam Stone (Serious Sam: The Next Encounter, 2004, Climax)

That was the greatest line in the game, seriously. I'm really not a fan of them either, but when they were put in, and given a sarcastic commentary, it made them fun, granted this approach can only work in a very few games.

The funny thing about non-skippable intro screens is that on the one hand if they weren't there you would maybe not remember that Joe Bob's Dev House created the game you are playing. But on the other hand most gamers will probably find themselves cursing the company that is making them wait to play their game. :lol:

I think anybody that cares to know who is responsible for a game is going to just check the manual or let the intro screens play to find out, so why force it down their throat. Plus many reviews will give you the past games a dev house is also responsible for. To me it just seems like a big ego play to force the gamer to sit through your animation.

And given that there does seem to be a lot fewer games these days that don't let you skip the intros it seems like most game makers agree.

[quote name='javeryh'][quote name='paean']"Yearly updates to sports games"
Ex. Madden, madden and more madden, and every other sports franchise out there.[/quote]

I disagree. While I don't think $50 is a fair price for the yearly update, I think it is an essential step in the evolution of the genre to make yearly updates. Also, who wants to play with old rosters? Each Madden is better than the one released the previous year - I would pay $50 every year if we got a yearly Zelda or Mario that kept improving the one that came before it...[/quote]

Hopefully the ESPN series at the $20 price point will change the status quo.

One thing that I hate with sports games is the 'rubber-band' AI that lets the computer catch up if you're winning. Aren't you supposed to be rewarded for having skills and playing well?

[quote name='DenisDFat']Trying to look realistic when video games can look better than real[/quote]

I'll second this. Too many games try to look dark/gritty/realistic, when they could really look much better. Why is it that in a lot of action-oriented games, indoor environments are so dark? Who lives or works in that kind of environment? For example, Chronicles of Riddick:

28.jpg

On a related note, why is the color brown so over-used in games? Like DenisDFat said, games can look better than real life. Why not add a little color? Brown gets really boring after a while. Again, for example, Chronicles of Riddick:

20.jpg

Also on a related note, stealth games and the current craze of realistic, military-themed shooters are two of my pet peeves.

Cutscenes that cannot be skipped even after you have beat the game or already been on that level watched the it and died in the level.

racing games where you have to race come in last for like 9 races just to by a muffler to get you to go 9 mph more and a place up in the race

Bad Collison detection

There's a couple things I hate about certain racing games.

- In games such as Test Drive (most NOTABLY Test Drive), I hate when computer opponents "toss" the traffic right in front of you. It won't affect the computer opponent by much, but you hit that car and you spin out.

- Racing games with awful or unrealistic handling. Sega GT (Dreamcast version), Vanishing Point and the original 1998 ToCA for the PS1 are examples of this. Sega GT and ToCA were supposed to be sim-oriented, but judging by the handling design, you would never know that, since the cars seem to lack traction half the time. And pray to god you don't hit a car or hit a jump in Vanishing Point. That game had no sense of traction, gravity or proper collision reaction.

- Racing games with compter opponents who just seem to know the perfect line to win. This pretty much goes for Midnight Club II, where everybody except you knows where the proper racing line is to win.

As for other games:

- I would like to be able to put my full name, or at least my last name in a save slot or whenever you need to give a name. Sure, seeing MCCRACK may be amusing to some, but not me.

- Fetch-quests. Do this, do that, do this, screw it!

- Games that think you can do more than one thing at once. Example: the final boss of 007: Nightfire. You need to destroy the navigation for the missiles, avoid a huge ass laser, keep an eye on who is shooting at you and make sure you don't stray away from that satallite thing. Want me to bake a cake, balance a checkbook and do your homework while I'm at it?

- Huge ass loading times. I can't see how some games need those ridiculous load times, such as WRC for the PS2 or Turok Evolution for the GC. Some games I heard have worse loading times, such as Mafia for the PS2.

- Repetitive gameplay. You know, if you expect people to pay $49.99 for a game, you should offer more than 20 stages of doing the same thing over.

- Games that should take advantage of the custom soundtrack function of the Xbox, but don't. Like Midnight Club II, Need For Speed Undeground and Colin McRae Rally 04 (funny how it was included in ToCA Race Driver 2, but not CMR 4).

- "Me-too" designs. Companies who take an existing design and think that they can make that better. Simpsons Road Rage is a prime example of this (as well as Hit and Run, but I heard that wa actually pretty good).

- A game is only mature by the blood, gore and language. NO. Quite a few games rated "Mature" actually seem pretty immature. Sure, there are games that are M-rated and do have mature themes (such as the Silent Hill and Metal Gear series), but just because you can shoot someone in the head in a game doesn't really make it "mature".

- Games that take up an assload of space on your memory card (mostly inferring to the Gamecube) hen it really doesn't need it. Really, does a game like Aggressive Inline need 57 of the 59 blocks of your memory card, especially since other games in the genre save in about 8-15 blocks? I think some developers get off on using up your memory card.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there's some other things that piss me off that I'm not thinking about.

Oh, I forgot about bad cameras. God, how did I leave that one out. The biggest offender is the Sonic Adventure series. Why the hell does the camera need to focus right on the character? It should be behind the character in a "chase" view. Not struggling and spazzing all over the place like a drunk secretary losing her balance on karaoke night, just so you can see the top of their head.

I hate levels in an FPS where you have to complete certain goals like find all the switches. Only you can't find them and you've killed all the enimies on the level so your just wandering around an empty level like a moron. Levels should end when you kill everyone. Missions should have more then just one way to win, and one of those ways to win should be "eliminate all enemies".

My biggest peeve is the "good-gameplay" defense of Grand Theft Auto. I think they are fun games, but I don't think I've met one person who doesn't readily admit they always get sidetracked on missions because its just so much much to think of new ways to kill people. That IS the appeal of the game. To say the reason you play the game isn't about killing people is asanine. Not really a video game peeve as much as a video game culture peeve, but I thought I'd still share.

Cheap party destroying attacks in RPG's:

Sometimes they give you a warning like a countdown, but I hate it when you're in the middle of a challenging battle, you're making progress, then all of the sudden, and without warning you get obliterated by an attack that you would have to be at full strength to survive.

Limited item capacity:

Often this can be fixed by simply putting all like items together. Dark Cloud (1st one) was hindered by this, as is Resident Evil. Animal Crossing often is annoying. If I want to sell 50 cherries, just put them in one slot so I can do it quick and easy.

RE controls:

In general games should give the player options in setting up the controls, and this is a perfect example. If Capcom wants to leave in foward/back/turn fine, but provide full analog capacity like DMC for those that want it.

Not being able to revisit cutscenes.

This is going to really hurt come Xenosaga II. It would be nice to go back and watch all the movies from the first with out having to replay the game.

Dungeon crawling in RPGs, gamers overrating the FFs (especially FF7), people praising the GTA series, fanboys, and...I think that covers most of the nuisances.

bread's done
Back