Virginia - No Sales Tax for select items and everything at CC and Best Buy 8/04-8/06

quercus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
All of Virginia will be tax free this weekend, starting at 12:01 am Friday Aug. 4 and running through midnight Sunday Aug. 6.

This applies to school supplies and clothing.

BUT, Circuit City has said it will apply to everything in their stores.

[UPDATE] Best Buy will also sell everything in their store tax free as well.

AND, Walmart will sell all computers and computer equipment tax free.

That is according to the Washington Post.

Here is what the official website says:

During Virginia's Sales Tax Holiday, purchases of school supplies selling for $20 or less per item, and articles of clothing, including footwear, selling for $100 or less per item, will be exempt from sales tax. All retailers selling these items MUST participate in the Sales Tax Holiday. Sales tax exemptions do not apply to items selling for more than the amounts listed.

Retailers may also choose to absorb the sales tax on other items during the Sales Tax Holiday, but they are responsible for paying the tax themselves to the Department of Taxation.

Also from the website:

The following is an [FONT=Arial,Arial]all-inclusive [/FONT]list of items that are included in the term "school supply" and are therefore exempt from tax during the sales tax holiday period if their sales price is $20 or less per item. Only the following items are exempt as school supplies. Items need not be intended for use in school or in connection with a school activity to be eligible for the exemption.​
  • Binders
  • Blackboard chalk
  • Book bags
  • Calculators
  • Cellophane tape
  • Clay and glazes
  • Compasses
  • Composition books
  • Crayons
  • Dictionaries and thesauruses
  • Erasers
  • Folders: expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
  • Glue, paste, and paste sticks
  • Highlighters
  • Index card boxes
  • Index cards
  • Legal pads
  • Lunch boxes
  • Markers
  • Musical instruments, musical instrument accessories, and replacement items for musical instruments
  • Notebooks
  • Paintbrushes for artwork
  • Paints (acrylic, tempera, and oil)
  • Paper: loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board and construction paper
  • Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
  • Pencil sharpeners
  • Pencils
  • Pens
  • Protractors
  • Reference books
  • Reference maps and globes
  • Rulers
  • Scissors
  • Sheet music
  • Sketch and drawing pads
  • Textbooks
  • Watercolors
  • Workbooks; and
  • Writing tablets
Here's the link to the official website:

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=STHoliday

[quote name='-GoodFella-']Best Buy will be tax free also.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify-- Best Buy will be tax free on everything in the store???

Everything in Best Buy will be Tax Free too. I just got an email about it as well. I'll update the title of the thread.

Just stopped by BB at Tysons after practice and there was 6 bins full of xbox, ps2 and gamecube games at 50% off. I was able to get the following:

The Godfather (xbox)- $20
DDR 3 (xbox)- $15 (used GGC)
Arena Football (xbox)- $10
NCAA 06 (ps2)- $15
Madden 06 (xbox)- $15
Counter Strike (xbox)- $5
Destroy All Humans (xbox)- $10
Katamari Darmacy (ps2)- $10
Resident Evil (gc)- $7.50

I believe all of the Greatest Hits/Platnium Hits/Player's Choice were on sale. Only a hand full of new releases weren't on sale (Kingdom Hearts, Black, NCAA 07). I did not see any GBA or DS games on sale. They have lists taped to the bins and there is at least 50+ titles on the ps2 and xbox lists. A few PSP games were on the ps2 list (Infected is the only one I remember). I think it ends tonight after the tax free shopping is over for VA. Still a crap lot of stuff when I left at 3 pm.

Here is a few I remember as well as the ones mentioned above:

NFS Most Wanted Black- gc
Mario Cart- gc
Gun- ps2 & xbox
Trapt- ps2
Half Life 2- xbox
And 1- ps2 & xbox
King Kong- all systems
Simpsons Hit and Run- gc
MLB World Series 2K5- xbox (this one is $5)

I wish I'd known about the half off, I might have trekked out to Tysons. I was at the BB in Pentagon City on Friday and didn't see anything about a sale :cry:

bread's done
Back