Virtua Tennis 3 (PS3/360) $34.99 @ Target (thru 6/16)

SteveMcQ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Virtua Tennis 3 for PS3 and Xbox 360 were marked as $34.99 as a Temporary Price Drop good through June 16.

I haven't been able to confirm the price at the other area stores. This was the US31/East St. Target location.

My target did drop it in price. I can confirm it as well. I think I will get it when it drops to $20 or so. I am not interested right now.

[quote name='Josef368']My friend is a manager and he said the is company wide. Great deal![/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. Some other people try to find this at the reduced price, and I might just pick it up, too.

I played the demo last night, and I liked it a lot. Not much different from the first one on the Dreamcast, but for 35 bucks, you can't go wrong. Online multiplayer, too!

And the music is instrumental remixes from Propeller Arena, the cancelled Dreamcast game!

Is the AI any better in the final version than it is in the demo? In the demo you could constantly hit the ball to the same corner and the computer opponent would run away from it. :whistle2:|

[quote name='argyle']Is the AI any better in the final version than it is in the demo? In the demo you could constantly hit the ball to the same corner and the computer opponent would run away from it. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

Didn't play the demo but from what I've played(a few hours), it seems to determine which tournament you are playing:

- rank 300 and up AI is pretty dumb, the finals show flashes of intelligence and you can get some good rallies going

- rank 204 and up take the finals type player from above and put him in the first two rounds while the player in the finals now are a challenge. I didn't lose a tournament until my first try at at this level.

I'm not ranked high enough for the next level of tournaments, I'm only ranked 167 (I think),but you get the idea. The AI does become more challenging the more you play. The tournaments are pretty static though. Meaning, you play your first match ranked at 300 in a 300 level tourney the AI will be the same when you come back at a higher rank to the same level tourney. Make sense?

[quote name='argyle']Is the AI any better in the final version than it is in the demo? In the demo you could constantly hit the ball to the same corner and the computer opponent would run away from it. :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

I played up till I was rank 57 and it does get better, but nothing too tough. Online is much different, human opponents will change the way you play. 4 player doubles was actually quite interesting.

[quote name='Calico']I played up till I was rank 57 and it does get better, but nothing too tough. Online is much different, human opponents will change the way you play. 4 player doubles was actually quite interesting.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'd never play something like this online. It's not a $30 purchase for me anyway - maybe $10-$15. That demo was an absolute joke tho, and should never have been released. I literally stood in the middle of the court & continuously volleyed to the same corner. It was hillarious watching the cpu run away from the ball, but didn't exactly make me want to rush out & buy the game either. ;)

[quote name='argyle']Eh, I'd never play something like this online. It's not a $30 purchase for me anyway - maybe $10-$15. That demo was an absolute joke tho, and should never have been released. I literally stood in the middle of the court & continuously volleyed to the same corner. It was hillarious watching the cpu run away from the ball, but didn't exactly make me want to rush out & buy the game either. ;)[/quote]It's far better than the demo, especially considering that you're also getting all the mini games in the full version. That's probably half the fun in Virtua Tennis. Actually, the career mode seems more structured to getting you to play the mini games.

Thanks for the confirmations. I'll change the title.

[quote name='oasisboy']This game sucked compared to Top Spin 2...[/QUOTE]

I thought just the opposite. I was a huge fan of the original but I HATED Top Spin 2, mainly because they got rid of the risk shots. The game felt like it couldn't make up it's mind if it wanted to be arcade or sim-style.

VT3 is a great game though. I picked it up last week and haven't stopped playing it. Gets VERY tough once you get your player under 100 in the world tour rankings, so don't worry that it's going to be too easy like the demo. And the Live play is great too.

[quote name='Ranma444']is this in an ad? if its sold out i wanna price match at CC or BB.[/quote]Nope, it's one of those temporary price drops. It's just tagged that way on the shelf.

[quote name='oasisboy']This game sucked compared to Top Spin 2...[/quote]I think as a package, VT3 is better than Top Spin, but I do prefer Top Spin's gameplay much more. VT3 encourages the long rallies much more at the cost of insane recoveries. It seems like I can't hit a shot out of bounds without being completely out of position. I just prefer Top Spin having the one "safe shot", but with the drawback of not being able to aim them wider. It makes the different shots seem much more important.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Sounds good to me. Some other people try to find this at the reduced price, and I might just pick it up, too.

I played the demo last night, and I liked it a lot. Not much different from the first one on the Dreamcast, but for 35 bucks, you can't go wrong. Online multiplayer, too!

And the music is instrumental remixes from Propeller Arena, the cancelled Dreamcast game![/QUOTE]

Wow, Propeller Arena...one of the many side effects of 9/11. I gotta say, Dreamcast is my 2nd favorite system, behind the Saturn *gasp*

[quote name='seanr1221']Whats better, the 360 or PS3 version?[/QUOTE]

I have the PS3 version and my friend has the 360 version. From what we can tell, the PS3 has slightly better graphics and runs a hair better in 1080p, and has better physics during the minigames. 360 has online play, which seems pretty laggy.

Both versions are sweet. The only thing that matters to me is what controller I'm using. I like to use the dpad when I play, so I prefer the decent Sixaxis pad or my sweet joystick to the horrid 360 dpad.

[quote name='Chuplayer']
And the music is instrumental remixes from Propeller Arena, the cancelled Dreamcast game![/QUOTE]

only cancelled in america, i've played it, it was pretty interesting, but kinda boring alone.

[quote name='Ranma444']only cancelled in america, i've played it, it was pretty interesting, but kinda boring alone.[/QUOTE]

Only in America? Where the hell do you live, then? As far as I know, it didn't get officially released anywhere. It wasn't until three years ago when somebody found a practically finished copy (probably for magazines) that it made its way onto the internet.

bread's done
Back