Virtual Console games announced

Scrubsy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
List of Virtual Console games available by the end of December…

NES - Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Hockey, Pinball, Soccer, Tennis, Urban Champion, Wario’s Woods, Baseball, and Solomon’s Key.

SNES - F-Zero, Sim City

N64 - Super Mario 64

Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Columns, Ecco the Dolphin, Gunstar Heroes, Space Harrier II, Toe Jam & Earl, Ristar, and Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

TurboGrafx 16 - Bonk’s Adventure, Super Star Soldier, Victory Run, Bomberman ‘93, and Dungeon Explorer

This is an official press release, but I think its bullshit that there is no OOT, super mario world,metroid's,etc.

[quote name='Scrubsy']List of Virtual Console games available by the end of December…

NES - Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Ice Hockey, Pinball, Soccer, Tennis, Urban Champion, Wario’s Woods, Baseball, and Solomon’s Key.

SNES - F-Zero, Sim City

N64 - Super Mario 64

Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Columns, Ecco the Dolphin, Gunstar Heroes, Space Harrier II, Toe Jam & Earl, Ristar, and Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

TurboGrafx 16 - Bonk’s Adventure, Super Star Soldier, Victory Run, Bomberman ‘93, and Dungeon Explorer

This is an official press release, but I think its bullshit that there is no OOT, super mario world,metroid's,etc.
[/QUOTE]

WOW! Pretty interesting lineup. GUNSTAR HEROES!!! OOT is on 2 gamecube discs which can be played on the Wii until OOT comes out on the VC. Mario world...GBA,,,metroid on metroid prime.

[quote name='Strell']Oh boy TENNIS.

Because I WANT THAT SO BADLY.[/quote]:whistle2:( I kinda do, cause I've never played it. I love Ice Hockey though.

Heh, I didn't really expect them to throw out every AAA title at launch. Even assuming it takes zero work for them to put them on VC, they lose all future selling opportunities by giving you everything at once.

The Genesis list certainly looks pretty good. But frankly I'm only interested in a small number of SNES titles that probably won't be up there close to launch (we all know what some of those are).

I suppose the SNES offerings are so anemic in order to give the TG-16 and Genesis some room to shine and reason to support the VC? I mean, really, F-Zero and Sim City? And I absolutely love the original F-Zero.

Ice Hockey does kickass.

If they could put in online multiplayer with that, it would kick ass even more.

If there truly is some big announcement left, "old games with online gameplay" ought to be it.

I want to Fat and Skinny Guy the f*ck out of you people.

[quote name='jkam']WOW! Pretty interesting lineup. GUNSTAR HEROES!!! OOT is on 2 gamecube discs which can be played on the Wii until OOT comes out on the VC. Mario world...GBA,,,metroid on metroid prime.[/quote]
The zelda games are $30 on up, Mario world is a bitch to find, and I want super metroid on my VC because my battery died in my hard copy.

[quote name='Strell']
I want to Fat and Skinny Guy the f*ck out of you people.[/quote]:rofl:

Best part about all those old games. Does Jaleco even exist anymore? They need to put Bases Loaded on there.

And if I'm not mistaken, Scrubsy, SMW went PC on the GBA, so you should be able to find it everywhere. For $5 or $10 more, of course.

$8 for Gen games is a little hard to swallow, but I'll have to buy TJ&E and GH just to support them.

Sometimes you have to take one for the team, and vote with your wallet. If enough people buy either game, maybe it'll display interest in their respective franchises, and maybe we'll get sequals.

$16 on 2 Gen games though, yikes. I'll have a hard time looking myself in the mirror for awhile.

[quote name='evilmax17']
$16 on 2 Gen games though, yikes. I'll have a hard time looking myself in the mirror for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Think of it as karma since you get gold bars and shit from garage sales for seven dollars.

And that's on a bad day.

Nintendo reportedly plans to make ten new games available every month, so retro fans may want to set aside a budget -- if future releases can uphold this level of quality, all those Wii games may become almost a secondary consideration.
There's 1up's closing.

Also, when did TG16 games get announced for 600 points? Not a bad idea to price them lower than Genesis since... did anyone actually play the TG16?

And as far as Mario RPG... since SE is on board with the VC, there's nothing stopping it from being republished. They would just have to agree to it.

didnt nintendo say that they would possibly release some games with updated graphics and/or new features? so maybe that is why there arent any AAA games on this first list of releases... just think positive, how awesome would it be to play games such as OOT with updated/modern graphics i would buy that instantly... but thats just my opinion...

That's better than what I was expecting, actually. Now I wonder if they'll get us Mike Tyson's Punch-Out *with* Tyson and not the version where Super Macho Man is the final fight.

Also hope they get all their shit in one sock and don't have the annoying bugs that have plagued several Xbox Live arcade games.

[quote name='Strell']Ice Hockey does kickass.

If they could put in online multiplayer with that, it would kick ass even more.

If there truly is some big announcement left, "old games with online gameplay" ought to be it.

I want to Fat and Skinny Guy the f*ck out of you people.[/QUOTE]

I'll counter with my medium dudes!

....wait....I've never used the medium dudes. I think your NES breaks if you choose the medium guys.

Pinball is pretty tempting. I already have it on my e-Reader, but that's a pain to connect. It would be much better playing it on the Wii.

I'm also interested in checking out Bonk's Adventure. I played it at TRU back when the Turbo Grafx was out, but I don't remember much about it.

My most anticipated title for the VC is Super Mario RPG. I haven't found a good deal on a cartridge, so having it on the VC without having to worry about a bad battery would be great.

Just like every other forum, many people are acting as if these are the only games that will ever be on the VC and that the Wii will be able to play nothing but these games. I know most people are getting at LEAST 2 Wii games at launch, I'm not sure why people would spend much time with VC titles at launch of all times.

[quote name='Scrubsy']List of Virtual Console games available by the end of December…

SNES - F-Zero, Sim City

N64 - Super Mario 64

[/QUOTE]

That's a great list to open with. They said thirty games at launch, and ten every month after that. Considering they have to cover three generations and three consoles, what were people expecting this lineup to look like?

Once again, much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensues on the internet when something fails to take every single person's smallest desires into account.

Amazing.

The list is not bad. But I am deeply dissapointed by:
2 SNES and 1 N64 games? Whattttt.

I would have been happy with either Super Mario World or Zelda: LTTP by December, but I think I might pass on a big Wii Card now.

Well, at launch I'm guess I'm getting:
Donkey Kong
Super Mario 64
Sonic
Gunstar Heroes

And maybe:
Bonk
Pinball
Golden Axe
TJ&E

Not a bad lineup at all. Only things that surprise me are no Mario World (didn't Reggie say this would be available w/ Mario 64?) and no Super Mario Bros 1.

NES - The Legend of Zelda, Ice Hockey, Baseball.
N64 - Super Mario 64
Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Toe Jam & Earl.
TurboGrafx 16 - Bonk’s Adventure, Dungeon Explorer

Now here is what I would be interested in ^^^
Here is where the fun begins...what to choose? I can play Legend of Zelda on my GBA, my gamcube/wii with Zelda Collector's, or on the gamecube/wii with animal crossing. I can play baseball on Animal Crossing. Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sonic Collection. Super Mario 64 on my DS. So now do I want to buy these and sell the other stuff? I like having a hard copy but I also like the thought of less clutter. Decisions Decisions.

Thank god discounts will be had on Wii points cards via trade-ins and GGC's. :)

I played the TG-16 (probably the 1 person here haha)...my cousin used to work for NEC. I got to go to all these promotional events for the console back in the day. Dungeon Explorer was a blast with a few people...kind of like Gauntlet...not sure how it would hold up today though.

Solomon's Key? I remember loving that back in the day. That might be worth checking out.

I think the list is fine. Like mentioned, It is a decent amount and who's really going to be all over this when they have launch titles to play?

After looking it over further, I'd consider Zelda, SM64, Sonic and Golden Axe... maybe F-Zero (even though I own it). Still tough to stomach $8 for those SNES/Genesis games.

Is anyone going to buy the original Mario game? I feel like the game is so prevelant everywhere (you can play it online a lot of places) that it's not worth $5.

I don't mind the price points too much, because I think that they are high enough to deter me from buying everything I can get my hands on...

Getting Earthbound for sure though, whenever it becomes available.

[quote name='Giygas']I don't mind the price points too much, because I think that they are high enough to deter me from buying everything I can get my hands on...

Getting Earthbound for sure though, whenever it becomes available.[/QUOTE]

good point, if they were cheaper id probably go VC crazy and buy games i wont play much.

YAY for Gunstar Heroes, Toe Jam and Earl, and Bonk.

Wish there would have been more choices for the SNES or a few other items from the NES, but I am sure there must be plenty of other good titles coming down the pipe.

I can't help but wonder if Nintendo's holding off on Mario World and Zelda: LTTP because Nintendo wants to squeeze more out of the GBA cartridges, or perhaps because those TG-16 games really don't stand a chance of selling if Nintendo breaks out the big guns on day one. I would have at least expected the original Super Mario Bros. though.

BTW, they got the wrong tennis game on the VC service.

http://www.gamespot.com/snes/sports/supertennisworldcircuit/index.html

I dare you to find a better tennis game than that.

[quote name='chargeup45'] I would have at least expected the original Super Mario Bros. though.
[/QUOTE]

It's there I thought.

[quote name='chargeup45']I can't help but wonder if Nintendo's holding off on Mario World and Zelda: LTTP because Nintendo wants to squeeze more out of the GBA cartridges, or perhaps because those TG-16 games really don't stand a chance of selling if Nintendo breaks out the big guns on day one. I would have at least expected the original Super Mario Bros. though.

BTW, they got the wrong tennis game on the VC service.

http://www.gamespot.com/snes/sports/supertennisworldcircuit/index.html

I dare you to find a better tennis game than that.[/QUOTE]

Wii sports tennis for free?

Here is the japanese snes list

* F-Zero (Nintendo)
* R-Type III (Irem)
* Super Castlevania IV (Konami)
* Contra III (Konami)
* Sim City (Nintendo): 900
* Street Fighter II (Capcom)
* Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo)
* Super Mario World (Nintendo)
* Zelda: Link to the Past (Nintendo): 900
* Fire Emblem: Monsho no Nazo (Nintendo) 900
* Mario Super Picross (Nintendo)

We are getting so jipped here.

I can't believe people are getting excited to rebuy all these games. I'm not saying I won't buy a couple over the life of the console but really everything I want to play I've already played, including every single game on that list. Even if you've missed them due to not being alive when they originally came out or something there are much cheaper ways to play the classics...

Also, 99% of NES games completely suck ass if you try to play them now. There are less than 10 games that merit playing through again, IMO.

I got sick of those games on their original consoles 10+ years ago. I got sick of those games in emulation form 5+ years ago. So it only makes sense that I would wanna pay money to play them again.

I'll take UMK3 for XBLA over any one of those games. A man can only beat Legend of Zelda and Mario 64 so many times before the nostalgia factor doesn't work anymore.

[quote name='javeryh']I can't believe people are getting excited to rebuy all these games. I'm not saying I won't buy a couple ove the life of the console but really everything I want to play I've already played, including every single game on that list. Even if you've missed them due to not being alive when they originally came out or something there are much cheaper ways to play the classics...[/QUOTE]

i tried playing toe jam and earl on the genesis with my brother recently, it was not very fun, besides freezing once, the cords are about 2 ft long and we had to grab folding chairs or move the couch to be close enough that we werent pulling the console down.

Dammit... why does Japan get more games and a price break from Sega while we don't?:whistle2:x

Oh well, I don't really want any of those games so it's no big deal I guess.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I got sick of those games on their original consoles 10+ years ago. I got sick of those games in emulation form 5+ years ago. So it only makes sense that I would wanna pay money to play them again.

I'll take UMK3 for XBLA over any one of those games. A man can only beat Legend of Zelda and Mario 64 so many times before the nostalgia factor doesn't work anymore.[/QUOTE]

I think that's fair. I personally haven't played through most of these games since I played them originally, and I also missed out on a couple of them (how I managed to never play Mario64 is beyond me). I'm sure I'll buy a few of these games and then wonder I did after buying it. But then again, that happens with some of my new games too.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'll take UMK3 for XBLA over any one of those games. A man can only beat Legend of Zelda and Mario 64 so many times before the nostalgia factor doesn't work anymore.[/quote]
And all it takes is one playing of UMK3 for me to remember that it was a mediocre game made more mediocre by time.

To each his own, though. :) How about not thread-crapping in here, though, ok? Thanks. :)

And before people call out my previous post as being Pro-XBLA, Anti-VC, I wouldn't bother. I would take most of those VC games over most of the garbage that comes out on XBLA (Dig Dug? Who the f*ck cares?). I am just saying that the Virtual Console, in it's current form, is nothing but a pay-to-play emulator, while Xbox Live Arcade at least has Achievements, Online play, etc.

The OP leaves out some important information from that press release.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=7662

[quote name='"Go Nintendo"']
There will be 62 Wii titles available within the first 5 weeks of Wii launch. 32 of those titles are on the Wii (Tony Hawk, Excite Truck, ect), while 30 are on the Wii Virtual Console.

Third party titles that will be available on launch day haven’t been confirmed as of right now, but most can be expected by the end of November, if not day one.

List of third party titles available by the end of December…

Call of Duty 3, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Rapala Tournament Fishing, Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam, World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, Madden NFL 07, Need for Speed: Carbon, Elebits, Happy Feet, Ramage: Total Destruction, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The Ant Bully, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, Metal Slug Anthology, Super Swing Golf, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Barnyard, Cars, Spongebob Squarepants: Creature from the Krusty Krab, Far Cry: Vengeance, GT Pro Series, Monster 4×4 World Circuit, Open Season, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Red Steel, Splinter Cell: Double Agent, and Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

Virtual Console talk: NES games start at 500 Wii points, Super NES games start at 800, and N64 titles start at 1000. Sega Genesis games start at 800 Wii points, TurboGrafx 16 titles start at 600 points. Take note of the wording…all purchasts start at a certain point. It leads me to believe that certain titles may be more.

List of Virtual Console games available by the end of December…

SNES - F-Zero, Sim City

N64 - Super Mario 64

TurboGrafx 16 - Bonk’s Adventure, Super Star Soldier, Victory Run, Bomberman ‘93, and Dungeon Explorer[/QUOTE]
My bold for emphasis with Go Nintendo's comments still in there.

If the Mario games "start at" the lowest MSRP for each respective generation, I can't imagine what the pricing will look like on other games. The VC went from being my most anticipated feature of the Wii to my most loathed thanks to the pricing structure. I'm just hoping that there are eventually a lot of pack-ins and deals out there on Wii Points cards

[quote name='VanillaGorilla'] I am just saying that the Virtual Console, in it's current form, is nothing but a pay-to-play emulator, while Xbox Live Arcade at least has Achievements, Online play, etc.[/QUOTE]

"In its current form" is the operative phrase here.

We have no idea if anything will change down the line.

That's the hope, but it's certainly not set in stone either way.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']And before people call out my previous post as being Pro-XBLA, Anti-VC, I wouldn't bother. I would take most of those VC games over most of the garbage that comes out on XBLA (Dig Dug? Who the f*ck cares?). I am just saying that the Virtual Console, in it's current form, is nothing but a pay-to-play emulator, while Xbox Live Arcade at least has Achievements, Online play, etc.[/QUOTE]

I was going to post something similar about why so much for a game "virtually" untouched. With no online co-op or anything added why pay for these games. Still their can be some good stuff to DL in the future.

EDIT: How are we going to play Mario 64?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']And before people call out my previous post as being Pro-XBLA, Anti-VC, I wouldn't bother. I would take most of those VC games over most of the garbage that comes out on XBLA (Dig Dug? Who the f*ck cares?). I am just saying that the Virtual Console, in it's current form, is nothing but a pay-to-play emulator, while Xbox Live Arcade at least has Achievements, Online play, etc.[/quote]
Until original content comes along, that's all it's going to be. The problem is that many people have grown used to being able to just download the games for free and play them on a PC. That's cool and all, but not legit. Nintendo, finally (after the horrific $20 each GBA games) is giving consumers an option to play the old games legally, for a slightly-more-than-nominal fee.

XBLA has more features, sure, but I daresay it won't be long till only paying members get those benefits.

bread's done
Back