Vista:Yay or Nay?

spamjizz

CAGiversary!
I just got my free upgrade in the mail but I'm not sure If I should install it. I'm currently running XP Media Center Edition and I have no complaints with it so why should I upgrade?

IMO, if you're happy XP, stick with it for now unless you need Vista to play a game or do something xp can't. I'm still using XP and probably will till a game comes out that forces me to upgrade or something. I'll probably wait till the first service pack at the earliest. I also hear Vista is a system hog so unless you got like a good system, I would wait.

My new computer came preinstalled with Vista, and so far I'm not the biggest fan.

1. I had to upgrade (buy) a new version of Nero because it seemed that none of the free burning software was compatible with Vista, including my copy of Nero.

2. The system moves really slow at first. The first thing I did was pull up the CP to remove some extra bundled software that I had no interest in, and I waited about 20 - 25 seconds for the CP to even pop up. It gets faster with time. According to a random google website on Vista, the system catches the programs and folders you use to pull them up faster.

3. My DVD drive quit reconizing disc one day so I rebooted and the problem was fixed. A few days later it happened again, and I rebooted to get the message that I didn't have an OS. Apperently this is a wide spread problem, and if Vista shuts down without all of the programs closing it may erase your OS. Microsoft perfers that you don't shut down with Vista, and instead use sleep mode.

4. Computer comes back from sleep mode without keyboard and mouse support. This happens about 30% of the time forcing me to reboot and prey that my OS doesn't turn up missing.

5. Vista is a resource hog from hell. Right now, with nothing up but firefox I am using 62% of my memory. that's because there are 33 processes running. 28 of them are Windows processes that are not able to be stopped. I did try turning off some of the services, but it seems that my Os has the power to say fuck and enable them on it's own, so I lose again.

*Edit* As posted below, if I had a gig or two of ram that would solve the memory issues, but on 512 it's not worth it. Also that doesn't solve any of the other problems. Overall I I don't recommend upgrading if your not having problems with XP.

Vista isn't the worst OS in the world, those are just some of the negatives that I've ran into over the last month. Honestly it's no worse than XP was when it first came out, but I would wait until a few more bugs were worked out until upgrading if I were you.

If you do upgrade, you should be able to switch back to your previous OS at will by uninstalling Vista. At least I read that on Microsofts website.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 Duel Core Processor, 512 ram and 200 GB hard drive. All inside a brand new Dell Dimension C521.

Vista isn't exactly a memory hog... yeah, it has a lot of memory in use all the time, but everything loads way, way, way faster than it did on XP. Unused memory is wasted memory.

[quote name='VipFREAK']You say that as if everyone had 2gb of ram handy... xD[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, with 512 like that guy was talking about... it'd be fucking terrible. It's fine with a gig and with 2gb, it runs like an absolute dream.

I have a Media Center PC with very high specs, but I'm not ever going to upgrade it to Vista. I have too much stuff on it that I would have to upgrade along with Vista. It runs perfect for me and I'm just too stubborn (or lazy:lol: ) to change it. When I get to the point where I need Vista, I'll just buy another PC. I just don't see many games in the near future that won't work in XP. And as far as non-game apps go, there is nothing wrong with using an older version. As long as it does what you need it to do, who cares.

I probably wouldn't have gotten it, but due to the free upgrade from MS I did - and I've really enjoyed it. I actually ended up going with the Home Premium version instead of the Business ed. I got for free, but I sold it to a friend for half of what I paid for the HP upgrade, so we both came out ahead. It has a lot of really cool features that I'm starting to get spoiled by - I use a XP pc here at work, and I miss some of the Vista features.

As far as memory goes - who the fuck is running on less that a gb anyway??? Memory is CHEAP - any pc running anything even remotely current should have 1gb minimum. Hell, I have at least that in the pc I built for my mom, and all she does is surf the web & send emails. :p

Well it seems to be a 50/50 split so I think I'll do a little more research before I decide. I do have a gig of ram and have the Premium version, which according to you guys will work better than the basic version,which is good to know. Thanks for the input guys!

I will say Nay as well ... because of performance issues with the Nvidia 8800 series of cards ... once it's fixed, I'll upgrade to Vista. Until then, fuck Vista.

Thumbs up for Vista from me.

A few programs at the release didn't work, but they all have updates now. Runs games really smooth for me and I'm on a laptop.

High specs are needed, but if you have them Vista is a nice OS.

alot comes from the type of user you are and how you use your computer.

I used the 64bit version for a week and for surfing the web, office just normal user bought a computer from a brick and mortar store, Vista feels snappier than 32bit oses, however if you are that kind of user who likea snappy and pretty guis get ubuntu with Beryl, really snazzy/pretty frontend on a moderately sanppy os and great for surfing and office stuff.

Now if you use daemon tools, dvd decrypter, winrar, transcodeing and heavy cpu/memory apps and game, a flavor of win xp is better and when useing daemon tools, decryptor type and play games with some age on them 32bit version of xp is best in my opinion.

New version of windows rarely exceed expectations nor disappoint me however, but comes with growing pains especially with apps of the fringe society type hacker/cracker etc society. If I remember correctly 64bit Vista didn't work with the lastest WinHiip ;-) also, and that is along the lines of a must for me with decryptor type apps,etc.

I have it and it's great. I'm running an X2 4400+ with 2 gigs of ram. If you have a good rig your kinda wasting it on XP. Plus your going to have to install it sooner or later. Or do you plan on having XP on that PC for it's entire life ?

So far only nero 6.6 is the app that won't run on my box. But I'm sure I can get nero 7 cheap at frys or on ebay.

And if you really hate it, then I'm sure you can revert back to XP.

[quote name='cyborg2040']My new computer came preinstalled with Vista, and so far I'm not the biggest fan.
  1. I had to upgrade (buy) a new version of Nero because it seemed that none of the free burning software was compatible with Vista, including my copy of Nero.
  2. The system moves really slow at first. The first thing I did was pull up the CP to remove some extra bundled software that I had no interest in, and I waited about 20 - 25 seconds for the CP to even pop up. It gets faster with time. According to a random google website on Vista, the system catches the programs and folders you use to pull them up faster.
  3. My DVD drive quit reconizing disc one day so I rebooted and the problem was fixed. A few days later it happened again, and I rebooted to get the message that I didn't have an OS. Apperently this is a wide spread problem, and if Vista shuts down without all of the programs closing it may erase your OS. Microsoft perfers that you don't shut down with Vista, and instead use sleep mode.
  4. Computer comes back from sleep mode without keyboard and mouse support. This happens about 30% of the time forcing me to reboot and prey that my OS doesn't turn up missing.
  5. Vista is a resource hog from hell. Right now, with nothing up but firefox I am using 62% of my memory. that's because there are 33 processes running. 28 of them are Windows processes that are not able to be stopped. I did try turning off some of the services, but it seems that my Os has the power to say fuck and enable them on it's own, so I lose again.

*Edit* As posted below, if I had a gig or two of ram that would solve the memory issues, but on 512 it's not worth it. Also that doesn't solve any of the other problems. Overall I I don't recommend upgrading if your not having problems with XP.
Vista isn't the worst OS in the world, those are just some of the negatives that I've ran into over the last month. Honestly it's no worse than XP was when it first came out, but I would wait until a few more bugs were worked out until upgrading if I were you.

If you do upgrade, you should be able to switch back to your previous OS at will by uninstalling Vista. At least I read that on Microsofts website.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 Duel Core Processor, 512 ram and 200 GB hard drive. All inside a brand new Dell Dimension C521.[/quote]

1) That sucks. The file structure is different in Vista and that's why the old version of Nero doesn't work with it.
2) I can tell from the rest of your post that it's your hardware that's the problem, not the OS
3) Widespread problem? I've been using Vista on Multiple system since before launch and I never heard of this issue, not even with the betas. Sounds like BS to me.
4) That happened to me when I first started using it. Do you run the updates? I think this issue was already fixed.
5) Microsoft recommends a minimun of 1 gig, so it's the OS's fault that you're using only half that amount? It's not vista's fault if your computer's a POS.

I'd say Yay, but I'm waiting myself for the return/back to school deals, not too mention I'm saving up for it. Linux is alright, but come on, don't kid yourself you've got to have Vista. I actually really like it and think it's unfairly bashed on a constant if not daily basis by every party out there. Practically on any given day you can find some new article on Reddit or Digg or your choice of site bashing Windows/Vista.

[quote name='nathansu']Unless you are upgrading to the "crax0red" version, I'd say its a complete waste of time/money/etc.[/quote]

have you used it?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']have you used it?[/quote]
Yup, bought a new rig for gaming and tried it out. Promptly uninstalled it put xp on after a day or so with it. The 5000 "allow/deny" questions that pop up all the time are awful.

Then again I'm a Linux user, so what do I know?

my mom has it, it came with her new comp, she hates it. personally, im not too fond of it either, needlessly complicated, IMO,. plus its a major resource hog :(

[quote name='nathansu']Yup, bought a new rig for gaming and tried it out. Promptly uninstalled it put xp on after a day or so with it. The 5000 "allow/deny" questions that pop up all the time are awful.

Then again I'm a Linux user, so what do I know?[/QUOTE]

You know, its really simply to disable those allow/deny prompts.

FYI.

[quote name='uberzone']You know, its really simply to disable those allow/deny prompts.

FYI.[/quote]
It's not worth the trouble to me. The only time I'm ever on my Windows box is to play games, which is about 1% of my computing time.

Plus I really, really hate the GUI - it's super ugly. Also, it's a huge resource hog - I can run any Linux distro that takes 10-20% of the memory/hard disk footprint that Vista makes. Not to mention I can do way less in Windows.

Nay. Decreased chance of being able to play some games you own. One of my friends upgraded and can no longer play with our regular group of gaming buddies due to Vista no working with a few of the games we play.

I've tried the Premium and the Ultimate editions. Premium to see if it was ready to replace my XP box, Ultimate to see if it was ready to replace my Ubuntu Mythtv box. A big negative on both. Like someone else here very wisely pointed out, wait for the first service pack to iron everything out.

Windows users with killer rigs will probably notice an upgrade to general system speed, but I thought that the problems with software and driver compatibility more than deduced enough points to not make it worth my while. If I'm going to work that hard for software compatibility, I'd go linux. The UAC can be turned off, but totally kills the point of linux-style superuser security.

If you're a linux user, you'll see Vista as an absolutely unreal attempt to make Windows even more of a bloatware hole. The UAC is absolute crap. The driver signing is even more annoying. The music list setup on Ultimate media center is abysmal. The lack of analog + digital channel OTA pickup was enough for my girlfriend to demand linux back. The regular freezing up changing channels due to signal instability sucked, and I live less than 10 miles from all my sources. And don't even get me started on that sidebar implementation. Holy Christ it's terrible compared to Apple or Linux offerings.

That's just how I see it. I don't see how you're missing anything today by sticking with what you have. SP1 re-evaluation is the way to go.

[quote name='speedracer']If you're a linux user, you'll see Vista as an absolutely unreal attempt to make Windows even more of a bloatware hole. The UAC is absolute crap. The driver signing is even more annoying. The music list setup on Ultimate media center is abysmal. The lack of analog + digital channel OTA pickup was enough for my girlfriend to demand linux back. And don't even get me started on that sidebar implementation. Holy Christ it's terrible compared to Apple or Linux offerings. [/quote]

Well put. I'd say OSX is still quite bad in comparison with most GNU+Linux solutions, but I'd take OSX any day as an every day computing platform over Windows.

Overall if you must have a box for gaming, choose between the following :
(1) Use Linux and live with Wine emulated games. If you aren't a performance whore this should work fine.
(2) Install XP SP2 on something (dual boot, new machine, whatever). There is really no distinct advantage to "upgrading" to Vista.

Exactly what is the allure of OS X? I've used it on my friend's laptop and it feels like a prettier version of XP that has cute names like "Safari" for programs I already have. I like Vista's interface much, much better and it has OS X's "style" now too.

[quote name='n25philly']1) That sucks. The file structure is different in Vista and that's why the old version of Nero doesn't work with it.
2) I can tell from the rest of your post that it's your hardware that's the problem, not the OS
3) Widespread problem? I've been using Vista on Multiple system since before launch and I never heard of this issue, not even with the betas. Sounds like BS to me.
4) That happened to me when I first started using it. Do you run the updates? I think this issue was already fixed.
5) Microsoft recommends a minimun of 1 gig, so it's the OS's fault that you're using only half that amount? It's not vista's fault if your computer's a POS.[/QUOTE]

3) I was going off what (Dell) tech support told me. the also said that Microsoft doesn't want you turning your PC off anymore, and would rather you put it to sleep. If it's BS, then it's BS I bought in to.

5) I bought a Dell C521, and those are the specs the PC came at. I do plan on upgrading sooner rather than later, but so far the cheapest I can find a gig for my system is around $125.00 new.

Also I'm not trying to sh*t on Vista, I'm sure it will be fine once all of the bugs are worked out. I remember when XP and Windows 98 were full of problems, but I still stand my ground that if XP is doing everything you need it to do, then there is no reason to upgrade to Vista yet.

Also I did run the updates after I put my OS back on the PC, and I haven't have any real problems so far.

[quote name='Chacrana']Exactly what is the allure of OS X? I've used it on my friend's laptop and it feels like a prettier version of XP that has cute names like "Safari" for programs I already have. I like Vista's interface much, much better and it has OS X's "style" now too.[/quote]

The security vs. windows alone makes OSX a much easier choice to make. Generally the third party apps are way more polished, plus the majority of GNU tools are available are compatible (since it is BSD Unix based).

I'd not use either OSX or Windows, since the number of tools available are pale in comparison to any Linux/(Modern) BSD distro.

bread's done
Back