Vita 16gb Memory Card $50 Amazon FSSS

I wonder how long it will be before Sony universally drops the price of these memory cards or if someone will make a generic first. Of course with a generic, I'm sure Sony will just update the firmware to disable it.

[quote name='Blaster man']I wonder how long it will be before Sony universally drops the price of these memory cards or if someone will make a generic first. Of course with a generic, I'm sure Sony will just update the firmware to disable it.[/QUOTE]

Have they disabled third party storages in the past?

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']These things are worse price than oem Xbox 360 hard drives.[/QUOTE]

How it is worst? At launch it was 20GB harddrive at $100 with 64MB memory card at $40. The cheapest Vita memory card is $20

[quote name='ral1121']Have they disabled third party storages in the past?[/QUOTE]
No, there's multiple generic Memory Pro Duo 2 sticks for the PSP so I have no idea what he's talking about

[quote name='ithebigc']No, there's multiple generic Memory Pro Duo 2 sticks for the PSP so I have no idea what he's talking about[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Sony never disabled any access, once third parties (Sandisk, etc.) started making pro-duos. Back then, though, there was more incentive to get involved in making the cards since most Sony devices used the duos and pro-duo cards.

In this instance, I don't know of any other device that uses these cards. So, I don't see other companies getting involved in making them. This gives Sony total control of the market...of course more people should just say fuck you Sony, and not buy these for now. Then, maybe , they will come down to reasonable prices quicker.

[quote name='62t']How it is worst? At launch it was 20GB harddrive at $100 with 64MB memory card at $40. The cheapest Vita memory card is $20[/QUOTE]

Some people are just fucking morons, don't worry about it.

[quote name='dragonjud']Yeah, Sony never disabled any access, once third parties (Sandisk, etc.) started making pro-duos. Back then, though, there was more incentive to get involved in making the cards since most Sony devices used the duos and pro-duo cards.

In this instance, I don't know of any other device that uses these cards. So, I don't see other companies getting involved in making them. This gives Sony total control of the market...of course more people should just say fuck you Sony, and not buy these for now. Then, maybe , they will come down to reasonable prices quicker.[/QUOTE]
Exactly which is why i'm set with the 8GB card that came with my Vita bundle. I only use it for game saves and a couple of demos. I ain't buying shit until these memory cards come down to a reasonable price. :booty:

[quote name='ithebigc']No, there's multiple generic Memory Pro Duo 2 sticks for the PSP so I have no idea what he's talking about[/QUOTE]

He's talking about the fact that whenever someone finds a way to put homebrew on the VITA, sony pushes a firmware update that they force on you. They patch it to disable the homebrew and if you do not update, you cannot use your VITA at all.

[quote name='PatelKing']They patch it to disable the homebrew and if you do not update, you cannot use your VITA at all.[/QUOTE]

You can still use your vita, just can't go on PSN store.

[quote name='62t']How it is worst? At launch it was 20GB harddrive at $100 with 64MB memory card at $40. The cheapest Vita memory card is $20[/QUOTE]

It might not be worse from a price perspective but it is atrocious that games/in-built apps would not even start till my memory card got to me. This is even worse considering that the game carts are actually re-writable media and not UMDs.

[quote name='whatsinaname']It might not be worse from a price perspective but it is atrocious that games/in-built apps would not even start till my memory card got to me. This is even worse considering that the game carts are actually re-writable media and not UMDs.[/QUOTE]

Bugs the crap out of me also. Nintendo doesn't screw people like that on the 3ds, you can save to.the cart

[quote name='6er']Bugs the crap out of me also. Nintendo doesn't screw people like that on the 3ds, you can save to.the cart[/QUOTE]

And has a decent amount of internal memory for downloaded games...

[quote name='PatelKing']He's talking about the fact that whenever someone finds a way to put homebrew on the VITA, sony pushes a firmware update that they force on you. They patch it to disable the homebrew and if you do not update, you cannot use your VITA at all.[/QUOTE]

This. I guess I wasn't explicit enough. If a third party card is produced, I'm sure someone will figure out how to use it for homebrew. If homebrew is possible then it will be possible for a-holes to put illegal copies onto the vita. That means they would release a firmware banning third party memory cards which will screw over all the normal gamers.

[quote name='Blaster man']This. I guess I wasn't explicit enough. If a third party card is produced, I'm sure someone will figure out how to use it for homebrew. If homebrew is possible then it will be possible for a-holes to put illegal copies onto the vita. That means they would release a firmware banning third party memory cards which will screw over all the normal gamers.[/QUOTE]

No. A third party card is just for storage. Homebrew will require an exploit to run unsigned code, and doesn't have anything to do with the type of memory card. The recent HBL uses offical sony memory card.

[quote name='whatsinaname']It might not be worse from a price perspective but it is atrocious that games/in-built apps would not even start till my memory card got to me. This is even worse considering that the game carts are actually re-writable media and not UMDs.[/QUOTE]I remember a gaming podcast (the Giant Bomb one IIRC) recently touched on this exact subject. Their theory was that while the carts can be written to, including that storage on the game itself would mean an increase in production costs for the publisher. A lesser factor is that it would also mean they would have to managed a separate, albeit extremely similar, codebase: one for the cart which is designed to take advantage of the memory on the card, and a digital version that knows not to try to write to a physical cart that isn't there.

Although Sony designed the system to offer the choice between on-cart and memory-card storage, basically it's easier for the publishers to just depend on the consumer to float the cost for the storage.

[quote name='6er']Nintendo doesn't screw people like that on the 3ds, you can save to.the cart[/QUOTE]Nintendo also allowed publishers to make save files on the 3DS that couldn't be erased. Even some of their own games, such as Pokemon, have save files that are big enough where a game can only store a single save. A second person can't start up their own game on the cart, they'll have to go buy another copy of a $30-$40 game. Their solution isn't perfect, either.

Nintendo was also offering a far less powerful piece of hardware for the same initial price that the Vita is currently at. Sony is simply trying to recoup development costs in bits and pieces through an expensive storage media. They know selling a portable system at $250 is already a tough enough sale as is. Nintendo's modest system specs aided in the quick abandonment of that price point.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jessesixto']Wow! I'm saving up for the Vita only. I also need to save up for the damn memory card?
LMAO[/QUOTE]

Welcome to last year! :roll:

bread's done
Back