Vita PSN - Pure Chess - From the makers of Huste Kings - Out Now - $7.99

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
7285430868_123299cb0c_z.jpg

ABOUT PURE CHESS
Pure Chess® puts other chess games in checkmate! Experience one of the oldest known boardgames on the advanced technology of today. With ultra-realistic FULL HD visuals and stereoscopic 3D support you can almost reach out and touch the pieces. Pure Chess® is a game that can be played by everyone, at any age, but mastered by only a few. The question is...Are you a Grandmaster in the making?

FULL GAME FEATURES
  • Staunton, Checker, and Williams chess sets created with stunning detail and precision
  • Museum, Penthouse, and Library locations beautifully portrayed
  • Comprehensive tutorial that teaches you basic, intermediate, and advanced chess techniques
  • 3 Tournaments to test your tactics
  • 100 Bonus chess puzzles to ponder over
  • Play By Mail with up to 8 of your friends
  • Track your ELO and Tournament ratings in the ranking boards

More information

Game modes
  • Exhibition – Play classic chess against AI or a local player.
  • Play by Mail - Play against your PSN friends. Each move is sent as a message. You can have up to eight Play by Mail games active.
  • Bonus Games - 100 “Mate in X” bonus games.
  • Tournaments – Three challenging tournaments to work through.
  • Tutorial – 38 lessons covering everything from how to select and move pieces to tactics and openings.

AI difficulty
AI has 10 difficulty levels. We had novices, our local chess club and a Grandmaster play against a range of difficulties to make sure we offer a challenge for players of all skill levels.

Timers
There are three timer styles to choose from. None for no time limit. Move for specific time per move. Incremental for an initial time and additional time per move.

Two player
Two player games can be either a local game or a Play by Mail game against PSN friends.

Cameras
Eye view to see the board from eye level, Top down for a view from above the board and Piece-cam to focus on specific pieces.

Trophies
There are different trophy lists for each version, each with slight variations. PS3 list here (http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/pure-chess/trophies/). Vita list coming soon.

ELO / Pure Chess Rating
ELO is for Play by Mail games and Pure Chess Rating is for games against AI.

Music
There are 25 stunning songs covering four different styles of classical, jazz, chill and nature.

Stats
There are a bunch of stats to keep track of how you have done against AI levels, Play by Mail opponents, moves played, time played and your ratings.

Buying both versions
If you want to have Pure Chess on both PS3 and Vita then you will need to buy both versions. There is no cross-play between Vita and PS3.

DLC
DLC will initially be piece sets and locations packs. Currently there is a Park pack available.
http://www.voofoostudios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=741

Trailers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hg6PxAWYo

Looks interesting, I enjoy Chess, but wondering if it's worth $7.99. Anyone get it yet? Impressions?

[quote name='Miami_13']Looks interesting, I enjoy Chess, but wondering if it's worth $7.99. Anyone get it yet? Impressions?[/QUOTE]

was hoping for the same thing. hopefully someone here picked it up already!

I am probably going to pick this up today, I haven't played chess in forever, but it seems like a nice change from my regular gaming.

If this had been a buy one get both versions type of deal I would've got it immediately. But since it ain't, I'm going to wait for some impressions/reviews. Although I really am interested in getting it.

Bought it, but won't really have a chance to play until this weekend. I'll try to post something after I try it out.

Bought this last night and am now play it a bit. The tutorial is pretty good in teaching you basic and some advanced techniques, though it's not going that deep to be too overwhelming. The game looks amazingly good and controls are good enough, though I wish it offered scrolling if you hold the d-pad or left stick in a direction. Touch controls are pretty good, as well.

I'm just playing AI right now in exhibition games to see how far I can get, though I've only beat the first two (of ten) difficulties so far.

I've had a chance to play it some now - I agree with Frisky. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I like that there is an AI level that's actually stupid enough to lose to me. :D

The one thing I wasn't sure of from the ad was whether this had pass-and-play -- and happily, it does.

I'm enjoying the "mate in X moves" problems - there's quite a few of them.

I think it's well worth the price tag.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/11/free-pure-chess-dlc-this-summer-help-inspire-a-name/

A new chess set is coming as DLC for free:
We launched Pure Chess on PSN earlier this year, and it’s the first chess game available for download on both PS3 and PS Vita. Later this summer, we’ll be releasing a new downloadable chess set which will be offered free to all PSN users — and that’s where you come in! We want you to help inspire a name for the upcoming set, which you can do by submitting an idea via Twitter (see full instructions below). Here’s an exclusive sneak peek of the upcoming downloadable set to get your creative juices flowing…

7551187230_df5fbc4ce1_z.jpg

7551187452_530f1da888_z.jpg

7551187776_b325cddd17_z.jpg

The set is available in both plastic and metal materials and will be playable in any of the three locations featured in the main game (Museum, Study, and Penthouse).

But what should we call this new set? Tweet us your naming suggestion to @RipstoneGames and include #PureChessComp so we can find your submissions! If you want to enter multiple times, just send multiple Tweets.

We’ll select 50 random participants (North America and EU entries only) who will will receive a copy of the game for either PS3 or PS Vita, along with the ‘Park’ and ‘Forest’ DLC packs which are already available in the PlayStation Store. If you win, make sure you’re following @RipstoneGames so we can DM you your winning code! We will notify random winners within 21 days of the closing date.

You’ll need to be quick – you can start providing name suggestions via Twitter now, but be sure to send an entry by this Friday, July 13th at 11:59pm Pacific Time, after which we will stop taking suggestions.

bread's done
Back