Vita redesign announced! (In Japan for now) - PSVitaTV (Streaming Box/Micro Console) also announced!

So this Vita TV thing has me REALLY interested. Hard to balk at a $99 Vita knowing It also comes with 1gig memory for my saves.

How many big games will it be missing exactly?

Reading the specs on the VitaTV, no 1080P. I really shouldn't expect something like that from a portable gaming system right now.  Maybe in the next generation.

I wouldn't mind sacrificing the included HDMI cable, for a larger/at least 2GB internal memory storage.  1GB for game saves is okay, probably not enough for one of the free PS Vita games from PS+.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vita TV can support two controllers but only in PS1 mode. That really sucks if you want to play the system's fighting games since somehow using multiplayer on Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R would be somehow bad for Sony. There better be a patch REAL soon.

The Vita TV can support two controllers but only in PS1 mode. That really sucks if you want to play the system's fighting games since somehow using multiplayer on Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R would be somehow bad for Sony. There better be a patch REAL soon.
Because in the end it is still a vita and they didn't know about the possibility of Vita TV. They would have to patch each game (unlikely) or make it a standard going forward.

I have quite a few Playstation Vita games from Playstation Plus and I really want to play Valkyria Chronicles II on my TV... I just may have to get one of these Vita TVs. It would also be really nice to play my Playstation 4 in my office without having 2 systems.

It looks like the PSVtv has a rear USB port... Anyone know if Sony has said if it will be able to use external storage?

Insta-purchase. As long as Sony keeps this at the $100(without controller)/$150(with controller) range, they're gonna make ZIIIILLIONSSSSS off of it! I hope they release it in black, but with the same specs. Not some crap where there's a black one and a white one with dfferent memory sizes. *roll eyes*

I like that it can use the DS3 or DS4 controllers.

Announced yesterday and already sold out on amazon japan. I guess this thing is going to be in high demand.
Argh. From an article in that link you posted, it looks like white will be the only option. Though, I won't be surprised if (when) they unveil a black one. Regardless, getting one as soon as US pre orders open! :D

http://www.amazon.co.jp/PlayStation-Vita-Value-Pack-VTE-1000AA01/dp/B00F27JNGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378867744&sr=8-1&keywords=vita+tv

Having to add an overpriced memory card makes this thing less of a bargain, and still it can only play certain games. I think it's a mess, myself. It's going to cause confusion and possibly cause game developers to build to the lowest common denominator for Vita games, so they don't miss out on sales on either platform. I doubt the sellout at amazon JP means much. They probably didn't get many.

I have been interested in getting a Vita for the last month, and was just about to make a purchase.... Then this redesign dropped. I am not put off by the LCD as a high end LCD is looks great (i.e., iPhone screen). But the LCD choice is weird:

-  generally LED's have better battery life, but they are boasting a better battery life by about 20% on the new LCD model.

- LED's tend to over saturate colors, so if a game's pallette is calibrated for an LED, that same game may look washed out on the new LCD model.

- I am worried they are going to use a shitty TN - LCD panel... bad viewing angles and really flat colors.

I guess I'll wait until there is a side by side comparison of the two models to see if the new screen models are grounded. I mean I had a PSP 3000, and people said the screen on it wasn't has good as the previous models, but I thought it was more than fine. I just wish they'd hurry up an announce an NA release date.

I guess I'll wait until there is a side by side comparison of the two models to see if the new screen models are grounded. I mean I had a PSP 3000, and people said the screen on it wasn't has good as the previous models, but I thought it was more than fine. I just wish they'd hurry up an announce an NA release date.
Carlanga posted this pic in the Amazon Warehouse Deals thread.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Carlanga posted this pic in the Amazon Warehouse Deals thread.
ku-xlarge.jpg
There is a very noticeable color difference between those two. I prefer the OLED screen better. There seems to be no purple in the new vita. When you look at the wording in the start menu you can see the missing colors. It just doesn't have that same "pop" to the colors.

Oh man, I'm totally in for a Vita TV.  I hope they bring it to the US.  I've got PS+ Vita games and more importantly there's actually some Vita games I would buy.  $99 is pretty much an impulse buy.  I simply do not want to own a handheld device so this would be perfect for me and it's a great price for a Netflix streaming device.  It's got 1gb memory which is good enough for games bought on a cart (for saves).  Obviously you won't be able to download a lot of stuff so those PS+ games won't all be on there at the same time (which is fine since I play one game at a time anyway).

This is the same price as a Wii...or even a lot of the CE's.

There's clearly a difference in color saturation between the two screens IMO. And is it just me, or does the new Vita screen look wider?

There's clearly a difference in color saturation between the two screens IMO. And is it just me, or does the new Vita screen look wider?
LCD screens are simply inferior to OLED. You don't even need to look at the screen in picture or life to know that. It's simply a fact of the technology. For one thing OLED screens can show true black while LCD cannot.

LCD screens are simply inferior to OLED. You don't even need to look at the screen in picture or life to know that. It's simply a fact of the technology. For one thing OLED screens can show true black while LCD cannot.
Oh I know all that. I was just holding out hope that there wouldn't be such a large difference. I also thought they might use a LED-LCD screen so the discrepancy wouldn't be as bad, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh I know all that. I was just holding out hope that there wouldn't be such a large difference. I also thought they might use a LED-LCD screen so the discrepancy wouldn't be as bad, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
LED shouldn't matter for the picture quality. That's just the way the LCD is lit up. It does make a difference in terms of the life of the device since LED's last for fucking ever.

I guess this is a big part of how they lowered the price and are still making a profit on it. For me, it makes no difference as I never wanted a handheld.

lol all this b*tchin reminds me of when sony dropped the price of the ps3 and everyone cheered.......then they realized that backwards compatibility was being phased out....then the b*ching starting again

lol what you cheapasses wanted your cake AND eat it TOO?

or maybe they never intended to buy one in the first place and are just b*tchin at sony like its the in-thing to do

lol all this b*tchin reminds me of when sony dropped the price of the ps3 and everyone cheered.......then they realized that backwards compatibility was being phased out....then the b*ching starting again

lol what you cheapasses wanted your cake AND eat it TOO?

or maybe they never intended to buy one in the first place and are just b*tchin at sony like its the in-thing to do
Huh? I've always wanted a Vita, but the price was too high and memory cards too expensive.

The newer Vita solves the memory issue, sort of, if you don't have PSN+ and will just buy a few games here and there (which I will do, I'll be buying PSVita titles and just using the memory card for save data).

The VITA tv solves my issues of not being able to play it on the TV.

People should complain about the screen issue. It's a pretty big deal from what I've seen about comparison pictures.

Outside of the screen issue all is right the world with the Vita, but doing a newer version and leaving at it the same price is not going to help sales anywhere, at least for the portable Vita.

People should complain about the screen issue. It's a pretty big deal from what I've seen about comparison pictures.

Outside of the screen issue all is right the world with the Vita, but doing a newer version and leaving at it the same price is not going to help sales anywhere, at least for the portable Vita.
We only know the price in Japan. The LCD version will be $110USD cheaper! I think if you are saving 35%, I question whether you should be upset about the downgraded screen. Spend an extra $110 if you want the LED.

Gamers and media have been bashing Sony to drop the price of the Vita, so we got what we asked for in some ways.

Hopefully Sony will keep the LED version around so we have choice.

If I was a betting man, I bet the new Vita comes in at $150 in NA. Then I bet the new cheaper one gets 90% of the sales, and so it ends up not being worth it to Sony to keep the LED version around and it gets phased out.

So get the LED version now if you want one, that is what I am going to do...

Another worry, suppose I want to use the Vita TV on my PC monitor, I'll have to hunt down a dependable HDMI to VGA/DVI adapter WITH audio out.  Most of the inexpensive ones on the market only offer video out.

Now that I have a PSPGo, I'm laughing at the "new features" that Sony will bring to the PS4 and Vita TV, especially when that little system is a bigger workhorse than I thought. Pausing games, video output, connecting to Dual Shock 3, these are the fantastic new things we're going to get in the new systems? Ha!  I imagine whatever is going to be released after those two is going to have something like a external battery pack, how innovative.

Now that I have a PSPGo, I'm laughing at the "new features" that Sony will bring to the PS4 and Vita TV, especially when that little system is a bigger workhorse than I thought. Pausing games, video output, connecting to Dual Shock 3, these are the fantastic new things we're going to get in the new systems? Ha! I imagine whatever is going to be released after those two is going to have something like a external battery pack, how innovative.
AFAIK the PSPGo cannot stream PS4 nor can it play Vita games...

Obviously not, but the PSPGo could do a lot of things that the Vita could have & should have been able to do from the beginning - TV out, Dualshock support, etc. Using the Vita as a controller would allow the touch screen functionality to work just fine. The fact that Sony already had a handheld that could do some of the things the Vita can't is kinda silly now that the TVita is coming out. It still has potential at such a low price point, though.

Obviously not, but the PSPGo could do a lot of things that the Vita could have & should have been able to do from the beginning - TV out, Dualshock support, etc. Using the Vita as a controller would allow the touch screen functionality to work just fine. The fact that Sony already had a handheld that could do some of the things the Vita can't is kinda silly now that the TVita is coming out. It still has potential at such a low price point, though.
PSP Go flopped...

With the price of memory cards for the Vita still a little too high for my tastes, I might keep my PSPGo and PSP 3000 for everything like PS minis/PS1 games/PSP games.

Because now the 2000 version exists then I have no doubt that the 3000 will follow soon, in a year or two.
I guess I'll wait too, having a lot of PSP games on backlog gives me less incentive to jump on the newer model of Vita.

Video comparison. Screens look pretty different, but it is still a darn nice LCD, if the NA price difference is significant.

http://kotaku.com/the-ps-vita-screen-comparison-to-end-all-vita-screen-co-1323528431
If I were to get a Vita, I think I might get the OLED model and a Vita TV hooked up to my HD LED monitor that has audio output for speakers.

The downside to Vita TV to me is not being able to play all of the Vita games. I have a gut feeling the Vita TV's non-compatible Vita games list has a lot of games I want to play.

bread's done
Back