Vita - Resistance: Burning Skies - Out Now - $39.99

[quote name='Mixer236']I haven't actually booted up my copy yet, but what you're describing there just sounds like Resistance. Glad to see there are more people in here that like it, I'm excited to start it later on tonight![/QUOTE]

Fair enough, I didn't know that. I haven't played Resistance, but that makes sense. I got my PS3 late last year, so I'm still catching up on Sony exclusives.

Just played about an hour and I have to say I really like it. The controls are spot on, the graphics are a bit weak but they're not horrid, the sound is alright and the story is right in line with previous Resistance games.

One thing I noticed that a professional (dont exactly remember which one) reviewer got wrong was that you can definitely hear in which direction gunshots are coming from. Even with the inexpensive earbuds I was using, I was able to tell where enemy fire was coming from. Sure it's not as clear and dynamic as the console version, but it's noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished playing through the demo and actually enjoyed it. This is coming from someone that has never played Resistance and the number one game I'm playing right now is MW3. The controls were good.

Edit; also I thought the sound was good, I was using ipod earbuds. But still not sure if I wanna pay full price for it. Maybe when I can get it for 30.

Posted by the developers

For those of you trying to connect online to Resistance: Burning Skies for multiplayer matches and experiencing problems, we apologize for the inconvenience. We recently discovered a bug in the multiplayer lobby, and are working as quickly as possible to resolve the issue. We expect it to be resolved in the near future, and will continue to keep you updated. Thank you for your patience, and again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

[quote name='twiceborn']
One thing I noticed that a professional (dont exactly remember which one) reviewer got wrong was that you can definitely hear in which direction gunshots are coming from. Even with the inexpensive earbuds I was using, I was able to tell where enemy fire was coming from. Sure it's not as clear and dynamic as the console version, but it's noticeable.[/QUOTE]

Does Greg Miller (IGN) get much right? lol

Seriously though, as someone who hasn't picked up his preorder yet, after reading what you guys have written I can't decide if I'll be that guy that is happy with the game because I want it to be good, or will be incredibly disappointed with the game because I want it to be good.

well I came in expecting it to suck after the reviews and I was surprised it didn't like I was thinking just look at it like this if you don't like it with BB 100% trade in bonus I'm pretty sure you'll get close to the $40 back if not all of it

played some more last night, and the textures aren't as bad as I indicated originally. I based my original complaint off of a store front sign you see as soon as you go outside for the first time. It was particularly muddied.

Interesting thing happened when I went to cancel my preorder. They told me I couldn't because it was extra trade in credit due to promotion, and that all I could do was reserve another game. I've seen people on here get that credit back as cash, so is this a new policy? Can't really blame them for it, but it was unexpected.

I ended up keeping the money on Resistance, and will wait for a price drop before picking up.

[quote name='Sonne']Interesting thing happened when I went to cancel my preorder. They told me I couldn't because it was extra trade in credit due to promotion, and that all I could do was reserve another game. I've seen people on here get that credit back as cash, so is this a new policy? Can't really blame them for it, but it was unexpected.

I ended up keeping the money on Resistance, and will wait for a price drop before picking up.[/QUOTE]

Wait did you fully pay it off or just put 5 down? If you paid it off you could buy it then just return it (without opening it).

I ended up picking the game up anyway. I had about 40 in credit at Best Buy so I just said fuck it.

I played the demo, enjoyed it, that was enough for me, that's about as far as I have gotten though.

I did try to play an online match and quickly got booted off and it relaunched the single player.

[quote name='Sonne']Fair enough, I didn't know that. I haven't played Resistance, but that makes sense. I got my PS3 late last year, so I'm still catching up on Sony exclusives.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I tried it out last night and while this happens in the Resistance games, it is a bit more exaggerated in this game. I'm a little biased since I am a fan of the series, but you should definitely check out the ps3 trilogy... They can all be had on the cheap now too, so maybe jump on that while you wait on a price drop? Resistance is what got my into the FPS genre, I had always hated them up until that point.

[quote name='Mixer236']No problem. I tried it out last night and while this happens in the Resistance games, it is a bit more exaggerated in this game. I'm a little biased since I am a fan of the series, but you should definitely check out the ps3 trilogy... They can all be had on the cheap now too, so maybe jump on that while you wait on a price drop? Resistance is what got my into the FPS genre, I had always hated them up until that point.[/QUOTE]

Remember that multi story MP map that was very narrow on FoM? Playing with a full roster was insane. You couldn't shoot with out hitting someone on upper level. Halo 3 was boring in comparison IMO.

You guys are making me want it now. Still think I'll wait until $30 or better. Have too many games to play through right now.

Interesting read, SOME good points.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/did-burning-skies-kill-the-resistance-franchise

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='6er']Interesting read, some good points.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/did-burning-skies-kill-the-resistance-franchise[/QUOTE]

haven't read the article yet but it would be hard to believe anything besides R3 killed the franchise

edit: stopped reading the article after this comment" This culminated with Resistance 3, widely considered the best game in the franchise" best game in the franchise? then why was it the worst seller out of all the resistance titles. I've learned to take these reviews with a grain of salt reviews /opinions are just like assholes everybody has one

[quote name='Rockinjs']haven't read the article yet but it would be hard to believe anything besides R3 killed the franchise[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he's right about the whole thing.

Oh he drools all over the ginormous awesomeness of R3, which I haven't played yet but heard is inferior to the others from regular gamers, but they are some good points scattered about the piece. Like why the heck pull resistance from Bend, who wanted to make the vita version, had proven themselves, and then force them to make Uncharted....although the answer is obvious: Uncharted sells better. All about the Benjamin's

[quote name='6er']I'm not saying he's right about the whole thing.

Oh he drools all over the ginormous awesomeness of R3, which I haven't played yet but heard is inferior to the others from regular gamers, but they are some good points scattered about the piece. Like why the heck pull resistance from Bend, who wanted to make the vita version, had proven themselves, and then force them to make Uncharted....although the answer is obvious: Uncharted sells better. All about the Benjamin's[/QUOTE]
There wasn't anything wrong with R3. It was a sold game, with good art direction, level design, and a nice, but sparse story. I think most people were frustrated because it stepped away from the story established in 1&2 (which was fine by me!)

What I liked about the first game was the "David and Goliath" / "Histories Mysteries" feeling. I liked the fake historical summary approach the first game had (until about halfway through when it disappeared). They threw that away in the 2nd game and went with a generic video game trope "super soldier" concept that only really redeemed itself with how they handled the end of the game. It stood on it's own based on the scale of some of it's bosses and the gameplay- but other series quickly caught up with that "epic boss" technology and it would have been unimpressive if they had continued down that path.

3 kind of reclaims that feeling of fighting an unwinnable war. That's why I enjoyed it.

The consistent element to all 3 console games is the focus on recreating the feeling of the era along with familiar locals across Europe and North America. It feels like the developer of the portables either failed to focus on that, or the processing power needed for the handheld games really keeps them from being able to achieve this.

So...after all this time I finally tried the demo and...not bad. Graphics are pretty good for the main character and cutscenes. Rest is...early PS3 essentially. I don't understand how people can compare this to the PSP based solely on background environment pieces. The guns look great as does the character. Controls were decent too. It took about 5-10 minutes to get use to the controls but they worked well enough. As far as the game goes, I've never been too interested in Resistance, so I'll likely wait for $10 to pick this up, but overall, I actually have renewed faith in Black Ops Declassified, especially if they were able to learn/improve on it compared to Burning Skies.

Picked this up for $10 not too long ago. Utterly soulless and uninspired, but I'm still playing it. That has to count for something, I suppose.

It feels like Gameloft made a Resistance clone.

Yea- it was pretty disappointing, but it does make a solid case for a working FPS and the touch controls. I think that developer just sucked.

bread's done
Back