Volvo Drive For Life???

Okay, so there's an article in the New York Times this morning about the Drive For Life Game. Here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/11/business/media/11adco.html

It's titled "Grand Theft Auto? No, Make Mine Volvo"

The gist of it is that they initially made 100,000 copies and they're available through the dealers, and they hope to make them available (as give-aways? - the wording here is shady) through NetFlix and Gamestop. here's a clip from the article:

After finishing at the proving grounds, the game players can drive the three models in the real world - or at least what passes for the real world within the Xbox realm. They can take the S40 on the Pacific Coast Highway in California; race the S60 R at the Italian Grand Prix near Monza, Italy; and drive the XC90 on the road to the Ice Hotel in Jukkasjarvi, Sweden.

Volvo Drive for Life was more than a year in the making, Mr. Gunn said. In addition to the work by Microsoft, Gunn and Euro RSCG 4D, a British company named Climax Studios, part of the Climax Group, handled the technical development. The game cartridge box features the logos of all four, along with the Dolby Digital logo, making it seem more like a DVD box.

The partners in the Volvo video game are making plans for next year. Mr. Neu of Volvo Cars said the game cartridges were to be distributed at auto shows to be held in cities like Detroit and Los Angeles as well as events like the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Mr. Gunn said the partners were also looking at giving away the video game through car rental companies, the Netflix DVD rental service and the GameStop chain of video game stores.

Mr. Nielsen said Microsoft was already working with marketers on a few projects for its next-generation video game system, Xbox 360, which is to be introduced on Nov. 22. The new features on Xbox 360, like the improved graphics, "expand dramatically our ability to create advergames," he said.

I had never heard of this game either.
But I just picked one up.
Makes a nice addition to my growing collection.
Shipwreck still has me beat by around 50 games though...

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']I had never heard of this game either.
But I just picked one up.
Makes a nice addition to my growing collection.
Shipwreck still has me beat by around 50 games though...[/QUOTE]

Where'd you get one from?

ebay....
It was the only one listed...

I also ran a search for completed auctions and only 2 showed up.
So it looks like it doesn't show up on ebay that often.
Luckily the person selling it was close.

[quote name='thesilentshadow30']ebay....
It was the only one listed...

I also ran a search for completed auctions and only 2 showed up.
So it looks like it doesn't show up on ebay that often.
Luckily the person selling it was close.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I think I'll try the non-Ebay route for awhile and see if I can't get a copy. It seems like these things just started showing up a couple of days ago, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to find one without much effort.

bread's done
Back