VVVVVV for free - charity Ebay bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimlad

CAG Veteran
There's currently a charity promotion, where if you bid on a pair of socks you get the indie PC game VVVVVV for free on Steam, even if you don't win the auction! The bidding ends in over a week, but get in quick if you don't want to end up as the one with the hot potato on the last day.

All proceeds go to the Child's Play charity. Keys will be sent to bidders when bidding closes.

Blog post:
http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=1501

Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300491205217

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']Canceling your bid or backing out is a dick move. I mean honestly its for charity, to bid to get a free game then back out when you think you are going to actually have to pay charity is really lame.[/QUOTE]

The same can be said for bidding for the free game in the first place. We're all dicks.

Well, I went to bid $1000, and by the time I logged into ebay it has already reached $1000.

So I bid $1025, and was outbid a minute later.

I think it's safe to say that these are the most expensive socks to ever hit ebay!

[quote name='dabamus']Well, I went to bid $1000, and by the time I logged into ebay it has already reached $1000.

So I bid $1025, and was outbid a minute later.

I think it's safe to say that these are the most expensive socks to ever hit ebay![/QUOTE]
That was me, sorry.

[quote name='Gamelore']This is like Russian roulette.[/QUOTE]

Except the gun has 1000s of empty slots in it. :p

Russian Roulette indeed! Right now you guys are playing with blanks though. Imagine the people who are going to be bidding on this on the last day. Yikes! Now that's scary.

[quote name='IronZombie']Russian Roulette indeed! Right now you guys are playing with blanks though. Imagine the people who are going to be bidding on this on the last day. Yikes! Now that's scary.[/QUOTE]

Except for the fact you get something out of it rather than just a rush

[quote name='Justin42']I've been the high bidder for like a minute or two...

uh, guys...? guys?? anyone out there..[/QUOTE]

hope you enjoy your socks :p

What's going to suck is that some chump is going to win this just trying to get a free game and back out.

And then the person after him.

And ...

[quote name='IronZombie']His feet will be warm this holiday season! And it ONLY cost him over 1000 bucks! What a deal.[/QUOTE]
Warm feet won't mean much if you can't pay your heating bill :p

Why do i think this auction might backfire. Hopefully there is somebody with enough cash, and goodwill, to purchase these socks for thousands of dollars, but otherwise this is going to be a mess.

Someone had bid $1,600,...they must have deleted their bid. Haha. Looks like people are already getting scared. Glad I got my bid it at $750.

Edit: Now it went up.

[quote name='Guerrilla']What's going to suck is that some chump is going to win this just trying to get a free game and back out.

And ...[/QUOTE]

I really hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised. All in all, this seems like a really bad post to be on CheapAssGamer; I feel like a lot of people (who have a hard time ponying up $10 for a game, let alone thousands of dollars :p) are going to be bidding on this just to get a free game out of this.

Yes, I suppose those people are indirectly helping by pushing up the price of a charity item. But really, the mindset needs to be, "Yes, I have the money to donate to an excellent charity for this if I end up being the winning bidder, but the generous offer of a free game is a nice bonus." Personally, I put in a fairly high bid earlier, but only because I know it's something I could afford.

I really don't know that I feel comfortable taking the risk on an $1800 pair of socks.

EDIT: Did it anyway, though.

[quote name='Harthan']I really don't know that I feel comfortable taking the risk on an $1800 pair of socks.[/QUOTE]Dude, there's 7 days until the auction ends. You have approximately 0.000000000000000000000000001% chance of being the high bidder when the auction ends.

[quote name='VidPower']Dude, there's 7 days until the auction ends. You have approximately 0.000000000000000000000000001% chance of being the high bidder when the auction ends.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got outbid already. Sums of money that large make a man nervous, is all.

Looked at list of bids and saw:
Retracted:
US $21,750.00
Explanation: Entered wrong amount
Bid:
Nov-11-10 15:34:07 PST
Retracted: Nov-11-10 15:42:43 PST

LOL ya think?

[quote name='Tsukento']Oh thank god someone outbid me. I was the one that got it to 2,400. >_O[/QUOTE]

you're welcome

and I was outbid also

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back