Wal-Mart beginning to Rent games - $1/night

JTHuffy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Not sure if this should go in the deals section or game news, but I was at my Walmart today and noticed the trade-in machine had some new signage on it. Apparently it is now renting games for $1 a night a la redbox. It wasn't working very well, and didn't appear to have much of a selection, but it looks like it could be a nice addition. I took a couple pictures with my phone.

2586389850054015313ySVpFY_fs.jpg

2856593610054015313TLAfwe_fs.jpg

Well, if they have a good selection then I'm pretty sure that'll make most mom and pop rental shops in my area go out of business. Can't wait to see more used game prices either, most on their site suck.

i never knew walmart kept these. I wonder if they will start to removed the REDBOXS and put in their own boxes...

Redbox is also renting games in some cities

I heard of some Wal-Marts doing this not too long ago. I think it is a great idea. I really wish I was closer to a Wal-Mart now. The closest one to me is nearly a half hour away, which would make it too hard for me to get the games back since I usually only go about once a week anyway.

It'd be nice if Redbox would do something like this. There is a Wal-Greens about to open about 2 minutes from me. I'm hoping they will have a Redbox machine, at the very least, but being able to rent a game for $1 a boring night would be great :D

I am going to send you guys a photo because I went to a Wal-Mart today and saw one of these machines for the first time. Sorry I didn't take a better picture of the actual screen but it had rentals AND the ability to buy used games as well. Most of them were grossly overpriced (as were the ones on their website) but the machine also rented movies and allowed people to trade in games as well. It also had mentioned on the machine that if you buy the game, they will give you the disc immediately and will mail you the case/instructions. Very interesting indeed!

I'm happy to see that more stores are starting to do this used game thing, though I still think trade-in values are crappy for most titles. With Sony trying to move towards 100% digital downloads with PSP Go, I'm curious who will win in the end. Something tells me game sellers hate retailers jumping on the used bandwagon.

[quote name='filanime03']Wow that would be epic. Too bad theres no walmart here in SF[/QUOTE]

Wow! This is an even bigger surprise to me than Walmart renting games. How can SF not have at least ONE walmart?!?!? Double wammy surprise!

And here it is. Sorry for the shaky iPhone camera shot. If I knew I'd be posting it on CAG I would have taken a better one ^_^;;
edit: This one is in Waterford, CT.

walmart-games-machine.jpg

There's a red box down the street from my apartment at a Speedway that rents games. I checked out their selection for the first time last week and was disappointed. They newest release it had was Star Wars The Force Unleashed. They even had an original XBOX GTA:SA.

This one did have some newer titles. For Wii I saw Metroid Prime Trilogy and for the Xbox 360/PS3 they had Batman: Arkham Asylum (You can see it in the first shaky box on the pic I uploaded). Not bad for some titles to rent for $1 a day. Though I have Gamefly so I probably wouldn't really use this unless I had an impulse rental (to which they probably wouldn't have the games I want anyway). A step in the right direction though!

1$ a day to rent a game?
I don't know if it's just me, but I find that kind of expensive.

[quote name='goomba478']And here it is. Sorry for the shaky iPhone camera shot. If I knew I'd be posting it on CAG I would have taken a better one ^_^;;
edit: This one is in Waterford, CT.

walmart-games-machine.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What's going on in the bottom screen of that kiosk... looks like someone having sex....

[quote name='Bronson-Lee']NO WALMART NOOOOOOoooo[/QUOTE]

Seriously. People just need to stop shopping at Walmart or else we'll all end up working there.

This is perfect for the nights that I randomly have the urge to get gamerpoints. Even though I like building up my collection, getting quick 1000's are nice too :)

[quote name='Count']1$ a day to rent a game?
I don't know if it's just me, but I find that kind of expensive.[/QUOTE]

How much would you like it to be? :p

Excellent for achievement whores. Seriously, I would rent a game that can be finished in a weekend. I'll check our Walmart tomorrow.

Seems good for the games that have a short single player and no multiplayer. For $1 I would try it out. There is a Walmart less than 5 min. form my apartment. I will see if they have one at mine tomorrow.

Seems good for the games that have a short single player and no multiplayer. For $1 I would try it out. There is a Walmart less than 5 min. form my apartment. I will see if they have one at mine tomorrow.

Where exactly are these located at in the store? (Front of the store? Near the gaming area?)

[quote name='Count']1$ a day to rent a game?
I don't know if it's just me, but I find that kind of expensive.[/QUOTE]

It's just you. I don't rent games myself, but I know that local places such as blockbuster is around $9 per rental for 5 days I believe. And any of the rental boxes like this one are $2 a day for game rentals.

[quote name='NJMane']Seems good for the games that have a short single player and no multiplayer. For $1 I would try it out. There is a Walmart less than 5 min. form my apartment. I will see if they have one at mine tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, a $1 to demo a game isn't bad, and way better than paying $5-$10 for a 5 day rental and being stuck with a crapper game you end up not wanting to play.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Seriously. People just need to stop shopping at Walmart or else we'll all end up working there.[/QUOTE]

Too late.

Family Video here in town is around $7 to rent a game for five nights. I hope the local Wal-Mart gets one of these.

Is there any way to search online to figure out which stores have these boxes? Lots of games would do for a rental process that cheap, games that take less than 6 hours to beat, for example.

im not 100% positive but i think that walmarts testing these out in the New England market first i see theyre in CT and RI and probably MA dont know how far out theyve spread beyond that

[quote name='sonix']Wow! This is an even bigger surprise to me than Walmart renting games. How can SF not have at least ONE walmart?!?!? Double wammy surprise![/QUOTE]

Lots of urban areas have fought to keep Walmart from opening stores. They claim that Walmart destroys small businesses and is not good towards its employees. I personally think its a bunch of bullshit, but that's just me. Like Penn, though, I'm more of a Target guy.

And I don't see how anyone couldn't view this as a good option. You get to try the game out for an entire day for just $1. Far, far, far better than a free demo that lasts 2 minutes and many times does not actually showcase what is great about the game.

Well, you can't really deny that Walmart does indeed destroy small businesses.

As for employees, I never worked for them, so I wouldn't know.

Thats seriously not a bad deal, i can finally start achievment farming without having to buy and return used games from gamestop like crazy.

I hope redbox starts adding games now - walking distance for me. I would definitely check out Batman, Uncharted 2 and Ratchet and Clank for $1 rentals.

Wal-Mart treats It's employees like crap but a pay check is a pay check and I get pretty good money for a retail employee, and my wife makes like 4x more then I do so we are well off since we have no kids either.

I know theres a site somewhere that showed locations of where these are.

Also, if you buy the game they will actually ask for your address so they can send you the box. I am guessing no instruction manual sadly.

It's good for people who are crazy enough to trade in games like Punch Out! or any short game I can beat in a few days. I rather spend $5 and beat a real good short game and return it. Beats paying $60 for sure.

This is awesome, I will be checking this out tomorrow for sure at my local walmart(s). Yes there are more than one near me lol. And if you think about the 1 dollar a day scenario most games I get for 60 bucks new only keep me busy for about a month before I trade them or stop playing them completely, so 30$ for a month of entertainment isnt that bad.

[quote name='smarkbran']This is awesome, I will be checking this out tomorrow for sure at my local walmart(s). Yes there are more than one near me lol. And if you think about the 1 dollar a day scenario most games I get for 60 bucks new only keep me busy for about a month before I trade them or stop playing them completely, so 30$ for a month of entertainment isnt that bad.[/QUOTE]

Are you implying that you would rent a game from a machine like this for a full month? There are better options such as gamefly. They have a one game out at a time service and I think it costs $16.

The local Gamefly G-Box is $2 a night for me.. and I thought that was kinda pricey.

$1 hits the sweet spot for me.

[quote name='Ocajavati']Well, you can't really deny that Walmart does indeed destroy small businesses.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you can, and people who understand far more about the economy than us have. The more money people save by shopping at Walmart, the money they have in their pocket. Eventually, some of that money makes way into other businesses, including small businesses.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Wal-Mart treats It's employees like crap but a pay check is a pay check and I get pretty good money for a retail employee, and my wife makes like 4x more then I do so we are well off since we have no kids either.

I know theres a site somewhere that showed locations of where these are.

Also, if you buy the game they will actually ask for your address so they can send you the box. I am guessing no instruction manual sadly.

It's good for people who are crazy enough to trade in games like Punch Out! or any short game I can beat in a few days. I rather spend $5 and beat a real good short game and return it. Beats paying $60 for sure.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure about being treated like crap, I worked at Wal Mart for a year and it wasn't so bad. You just have to get into the mindset of having so many rules. It was millions of times better than my job at Kmart.

bread's done
Back