Wal-Mart PS3 launch numbers?

Gol

CAGiversary!
Does anyone know how many PS3s Wal-Mart is gonna have on launch day per store? I had heard somewhere it was 4, but that just doesn't seem right now that I hear Best Buy is getting nearly 30 per store.

Thanks,

Gol

My local Sams is only getting TWO. I have no idea what that means for Wally World but the number is going to be much smaller than expected, that's for certain.

My local store said they were getting 8 60GB PS3s and 4 20GB ones...although I couldn't necessarily say that those figures are for sure, since the guy could've just been BSing me.

All my Wal-Mart will say is they are going to give out tickets at 10 pm. I am hoping lining up at 5 when I get off of work will get me at least a decent spot in line since I live in a pretty rural area.

Wow, fewer than 10 is just funny after the long line I saw today while I was there. I wont be surprised if I go by Wal-Mart on Friday and its burned to the ground :lol:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']One walmart I called told me 20 but then it seems odd compared to what everyone else is saying, do you all live in the boondocks?[/quote]yes:D

I was at a walmart in harrisonburg today and there was about 5 people waiting for like 10 hours when some guy finally came out and said they were getting a big fat 0 for system allocations. Sucks for them

[quote name='Oswald9599']I was at a walmart in harrisonburg today and there was about 5 people waiting for like 10 hours when some guy finally came out and said they were getting a big fat 0 for system allocations. Sucks for them[/quote]

I would have laughed at them and given them 10 pennies, one for each hour of their life they just wasted...

[quote name='Gol']Does anyone know how many PS3s Wal-Mart is gonna have on launch day per store? I had heard somewhere it was 4, but that just doesn't seem right now that I hear Best Buy is getting nearly 30 per store.

Thanks,

Gol[/QUOTE]
The Walmart in Stillwater, MN is getting 4. There are already people in line.

I think overall it depends on where you are at. I assume walmart has like a billion more stores than Best Buy so they can't guarantee the same amount at each store, but I think the cities will probably have anywhere from 20-30 at each one while the country bumpkins will have to share since they'll probably be getting 4 tops...

[quote name='gizmogc']Great Deal![/quote]

Considering people are trying to save over a 1000 dollars by buying a PS3 retail and not paying ebay prices this is technically very very deal related...

Of course your sarcastic :booty: just doesn't have anything better to do so that won't matter to you...

[quote name='gizmogc']Great Deal![/quote]shut up, ya freakin post nazi. the biggest launch in the next 4 years is upon us and you're worried about where the post should go. focus man! focus!!

[quote name='chosen1s']My local Sams is only getting TWO. I have no idea what that means for Wally World but the number is going to be much smaller than expected, that's for certain.[/QUOTE]

"Wally World" does not refer to Wal-Mart, but to Wally Szczerbiak of the Boston Celtics. Get your references straight!

[quote name='Kidtrunks1128']"Wally World" does not refer to Wal-Mart, but to Wally Szczerbiak of the Boston Celtics. Get your references straight![/quote]

I've heard it several times referred to as wal mart... never as the other one.. of course you must have just been making a horribly bad joke... if so :applause: you succeeded

[quote name='xnonfactor']All my Wal-Mart will say is they are going to give out tickets at 10 pm. I am hoping lining up at 5 when I get off of work will get me at least a decent spot in line since I live in a pretty rural area.[/QUOTE]

When the Wal-mart in my town (Prattville, AL) gave out tickets the night PS2 came out, pretty much selling them before midnight. A guy that was in front of me got furious when he was told nothing about tickets being given out before midnight and that he was told to come back at midnight to buy one. Well I guess he reported Wal-mart to sony for giving out tickets and Wal-mart got fined a LOT.

I'm not worried about getting a PS3 tho, even if i did, i'd sell it on ebay. But im happy with my 360 and gettin a Wii. I might go just to see how many devoted fans or crazies are waitin in line. and take pictures.

[quote name='Prattvegas']When the Wal-mart in my town (Prattville, AL) gave out tickets the night PS2 came out, pretty much selling them before midnight. A guy that was in front of me got furious when he was told nothing about tickets being given out before midnight and that he was told to come back at midnight to buy one. Well I guess he reported Wal-mart to sony for giving out tickets and Wal-mart got fined a LOT.

I'm not worried about getting a PS3 tho, even if i did, i'd sell it on ebay. But im happy with my 360 and gettin a Wii. I might go just to see how many devoted fans or crazies are waitin in line. and take pictures.[/quote]
I find this hard to believe unless they literally sold the systems and passed them on to the consumers before midnights.
Handing out tickets is no different and much better than PRE-ORDERS/SALES as long as you can only pick up the system after launch.

So i would not see why Sony would have a problem with saving their consumers from hours of pointless waiting and inconvenience...

And who fined Wal-Mart? The most Sony can do about breaking their release date is refuse to deal with Wal-Mart in the future which they never would do because they are not stupid...

[quote name='Kidtrunks1128']"Wally World" does not refer to Wal-Mart, but to Wally Szczerbiak of the Boston Celtics. Get your references straight![/quote]Szczerbiak got that moniker from the already-existant reference to Wal-Mart.

:lol:[quote name='chosen1s']Do we have anybody here that actually works for Wal Mart and can confirm any of this?[/quote]:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Employees are clueless alot of the time especially considering how big an average walmart is and how many employees they have...

just call your local WM if you want exact numbers and even then take that with a rock of salt...

I just called my friend who left about an hour ago to go camp at a Walmart. Apparently, this Walmart is being lame and won't let them camp overnight inside the store. It's a 24 hour store, but they have to wait outside until Thursday morning. They did tell them though that they can shop inside the store all they want, they just can't camp inside. So I think they are going to buy a couple of tents/sleeping bags from Walmart, put them outside and have one guy stay there while the others just dick around in the store "shopping". Then, after they buy the PS3, they are going to return the tents/sleeping bags to the store.

A local Wal-Mart 'round these here parts already has a handful of people in line, too. It's...it's not exactly warm up here. Insane, just insane. I know someone whose wife is a manager at another local one, a bigger one, and what he told me seems to confirm that Wal-Marts getting single-digit allotments seems to be the norm.

Were I to actually have any compassion for these soulless and lifeless cretins, I would actually fear for them. They're going to probably want presidential-caliber security just to get back to their cars. Then, they've got to make sure they're not getting followed home. This is especially true for those at Midnight Launch. I really feel that more than just a couple people are going to get hurt in the next couple days. And hurt badly.

It's so much more intense than the 360 because casual eBayers and geeks alike 'learned their lesson' last year. Also, whether the reality of it or just perception (and perception is often reality, as it turns out), many of these people think the PS3 is exponentially more desirable/powerful than any Microsoft console, so they create a self-fulfilling prophecy. The stakes are ionosphere-high.

How is getting your 'pay day' ganked from you after waiting three straight days in the cold going to taste, hunh, bitches? Or how about getting your new toy home after that and finding out it's defective and that you're going to have to wait another two weeks...or more?

As of Monday My store did not know how many ps3's it was supposed to get. There is a computer tracking system that shows what the store will be receiving and it was showing zero for both ps3 types.

It was however showing 20 Wii's coming.

And the story about walmart getting fined for handing out tickets for PS2's is not true. I was managing the electronics department at my store when the ps2 came out and we also handed out tickets and there was never any fine.

Tickets will be handed out for the ps3 also, in case it hasn't been posted already.

[quote name='chosen1s']Do we have anybody here that actually works for Wal Mart and can confirm any of this?[/QUOTE]

I work for Wal-Mart, and our store is only getting 4 total (2 of each). We got an update to our PS3 "playbook" that says there will definitely be a shortage of PS3s, well under the "minimum 10 per store" the ad claimed for the 60gb version.

Wal-mart will apparently give out rain checks for the number of 60GB systems the store did not get (so, 8 for my store). How these rain checks will work exactly, I'm not sure(other than poorly).

The same update said we're supposed to be getting "a few each week" following the launch, but that obviously comes from Sony who haven't exactly been the best at delivering what they promise lately.

[quote name='odhen']Wal-mart will apparently give out rain checks for the number of 60GB systems the store did not get [/quote]

Something tells me those Wal-Mart rainchecks won't quite fetch the $1,800 going rate on eBay for the pre-order and Japanese systems...

[quote name='Prattvegas']When the Wal-mart in my town (Prattville, AL)[/quote]

Just to jump off track for a bit, cause this is kinda rare. I'm in Prattville too.

I was getting curious about our wal-mart, even though I have a good chance at getting a 60gig from someone who doesn't pick theirs up at gamestop.

Wal-mart in my town will not be getting ANY PS3's... they are giving out 10 rainchecks to the first 10 customers.

Two Wal-marts nearby are 24-hour Walmarts, they will both be starting lines in the lay-away department at 7am on Thursday morning. One said maybe 10 systems, the other said maybe 20 systems.

Btw...

THOSE fuck-NUTS AT fucking EBAY fucking CANCELLED MY fucking PS3 LISTING!!!! (Btw, when you shaq-fu in all caps, the filter doesn't catch it)

I made absolutely 100% sure it conformed to the PS3 listing policies (even though they didn't technically apply because I had a real system, not a preorder) and even confirmed it with at least 2 CSR's that what I was doing was ok

(Yes, the Japanese PS3 I had in hand and was ready to ship overnight to the winner... and now I have no market advantage, I'll be selling post-launch with everyone else)

The weird thing is, this is great news for eBay resellers who don't want to wait outside right now - the PS3's going to be in such huge shortages that, much like the 360, people will still be paying a couple grand into January and February of next year.

For the rest of us, though, it pretty much means that we're either getting a Wii, 360, or stocking up on PS2 games.

[quote name='ArchangelOfWar']Any word on the two in Ocala?[/QUOTE]

they don't know if they will be getting any on release day.

I don't know the ocala pop.

so Gainesville is around 120k and we are getting 2, thats almost enough.

First off, I'd like to say that Sony has never fined Wal*Mart "a lot". A.)Handing out tickets (not even selling the tickets) is no different than pre-selling and B.)If Sony had fined Wal*Mart "a lot", Wal*Mart would just say 'screw you' to Sony and just stop carring their crap...

Second, yes, regardless of what it says in the Electronics Flyer... some stores are getting less than ten (of the 60 gig units). My store, like some listed above, is getting 2 and 2 (we are a small town of about 5,000 though). Most stores just found out yesterday how many units they're getting - some won't find out until today. So if your Wal*Mart told you how many units they were getting before yesterday, they didn't know what they're talking about, you will want to check again. Also, keep in mind that, typically, stores aren't allowed to give out inventory infomation - so don't be surprised if they simply won't tell you.

Third - a 24 hour Wal*Mart is doing a disservice to any customers who have to "wait outside" for the system. Call 1.800.WalMart and let them know what this agnorant Store Manager is doing - they'll take care of the issue.

I called 2 Walmarts (TX) which are in smaller towns. One said they are getting 2 and the other said 10. I don't know how I'm going to get one...

Well, I give up.

I was planning on trying to get a unit by driving out in the boonies since all stores were promised 10, but hearing that 10's being cut to 4 or none has me highly reconsidering against going out to look for 'em.

I'm not standing in line for 6 hours for a raincheck.

I'll just go get a Wii.

[quote name='ajservo1']I'll just go get a Wii.[/QUOTE]

And now kids you see why Nintendo's idea of launching the Wii two days after the PS3 is clear. Wii FTW indeed. :D

[quote name='xnonfactor']All my Wal-Mart will say is they are going to give out tickets at 10 pm. I am hoping lining up at 5 when I get off of work will get me at least a decent spot in line since I live in a pretty rural area.[/quote]
Mine said the same thing. I'm getting off work at noon that day. I hope being 12 hrs early will be early enough....

on another note, it sounds like the numbers have been drastically reduced. I am to assume that the numbers on ps3seeker are way off then. Can anyone confirm? most of the stores around me (madison, wi) say 10-25.

I'm going to call again today and ask if they can tell me how many they have in stock. I doubt ill get a number, but who knows...

bread's done
Back