Wal-Mart Site to Store Express... Why?

wubb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
So I noticed Wal-Mart is offering site to store Express for $29 per year

http://www.walmart.com/sitetostore

Basically, you pay them $29 and then site to store is twice as fast. Does anybody see themselves signing up for this?

The one time I used site to store it was a big hassle getting an employee to finally show up at the site to store counter who was authorized (and had the inclination) to grab my item for me. I think I stood around waiting (after pressing the help button) for 10 minutes.

I agree, I've always had bad service with this (did it twice). I had to wait about 30 minutes one time, it was ridiculous.

This is not worth the money, unless you do this all the time...

How long is a site to store normally?

On a side note, I hate how Wal-Mart won't price match their own website, but allows for site to store. So it's basically like PM'ing but making the customer wait however long it was. Although it did save me from buying a crappy HTIB

I used it once... the only thing that was good about it was that it was free but it took forever to receive my item. I took 10 days to get to the store and at the store, I was waiting at least 15 minutes in line before I got my item.

I've used it twice since they offered it.

Once was for the Babylon 5 DVD seasons 1-5, and they showed up at the local store in about 4-6 days after shipment.

The other one was for Blade Runner 5-disc set on BR, and that arrived about 3-4 days after shipment.

I'd use it again for an item that Walmart.com had for Site-To-Store, though if I'm ordering it from there, I'm sure as heck not in a hurry for it, since I'm using Site-To-Store to save on shipping charges.

This Site-To-Store Express yearly thing is trying to do an Amazon Prime setup for Walmart.com, though I can't see anyone that would get it unless they were a heavy shopper on Walmart.com. At least with Amazon Prime, there's a real benefit for being able to make orders for under $25 and still get free shipping, plus it's 2-day shipping via UPS with a tracking number on it. Plus, I don't have to go somewhere to pick it up. Admittedly, there's plenty of Walmart stores in my area, so it's not a huge inconvenience, though it's still 10-15 minutes minimum out of my day that I have to go pick up something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't do Site to Store Express. I would just go with the regular free shipping, which I have done twice.

[quote name='MrDubbs']How long is a site to store normally? [/quote]

7-10 days IIRC. And based on my one experience they take the full time.

[quote name='shrike4242']
This Site-To-Store Express yearly thing is trying to do an Amazon Prime setup for Walmart.com, though I can't see anyone that would get it unless they were a heavy shopper on Walmart.com. At least with Amazon Prime, there's a real benefit for being able to make orders for under $25 and still get free shipping, plus it's 2-day shipping via UPS with a tracking number on it. Plus, I don't have to go somewhere to pick it up. Admittedly, there's plenty of Walmart stores in my area, so it's not a huge inconvenience, though it's still 10-15 minutes minimum out of my day that I have to go pick up something.[/quote]

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Amazon Prime, I see real benefit. Not the least being the stuff comes direct to your door. If this was a yearly fee that covered home delivery they'd maybe have something. (But I still don't shop wm.com nearly enough for it.)

I'd use regular site to store again, but if the item is offered with $1 shipping I just do that to save the hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife and myself use it ALL the time, mostly for crap that we can't find anywhere else or as cheap.

Problem is that stores are eventually getting a full person in there to staff, and yeah normally on the off season one from Photo or Electronics stops by instead.

Stuff does take 7-10 days... I waited for a DVD that was like $6 cheaper @ walmart.com than in stores. It was a xmas gift and I had more than a month to wait so for things like that Patience is a Virtrue.

The only problem with this new 29 charge per year is that at least Amazon, stuff does get cheaper... while Walmart may lower some prices it's never to the affect of Amazon.

We ordered way too much from amazon and expect to save well more than what Prime is charging just in sales alone, never mind the benefit of not getting to 25 for free shipping and the bonus of 2day shipping.

to have items get there a few days sooner and still have to wait to pick it up is totally not worth it.

Until prices at .com is radically different than in store.... still not worth it.. Since if it's not in store, I could probably easily find it elsewhere for cheaper (Amazon).

If Walmart would open up a ton more items, but they don't have their entire store online yet. they advertise 100,000s of items but half the time they should have it in stores but don't. which is annoying since most stores stock different items. Either you can't find it online or not at all at the store.

More Walmart DCs would help. Which would create a bunch of new jobs.... stimulate that economy....

Summary:

Site-to-Store - Cool that it's free, but hate the wait, both for in line/pickup and getting the item to the store. Charging ~$2/month for a shorter ship to store is not worth it unless buying a TON of walmart crap.

Usually Site-to-Store tells me that it will take 4 weeks to get it to the store, it gets there in 1 week, and takes 45 minutes for the employee to grow a brain cell to get me my package. And it was damaged. Yea, damaged.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Why don't they just have free in-store, same-day pickup like Best Buy does?[/quote]

way too inefficent. Their in store stock is different in store, all stores are different and the same item can be different prices, in store and online, they do not pricematch their own products.

[quote name='Wet Ninja']Why don't they just have free in-store, same-day pickup like Best Buy does?[/QUOTE]

Because Walmart knows there are more than enough people who will wait several weeks just to save those few dollars. What I really love is on the ads that Walmart has had on TV for this service they have the woman explain proudly that "the shipping is FREE" but let's not forget that I doubt Walmart is paying for the gas to go back and forth to the store. Oh then right afterwards she says she'd be willing to pay anything for the moment her son got his kiddie bike.

Don't get me wrong I can understand the whole "site to store" thing for products that would cost a good deal to ship. But if the product is already in the store I feel that Walmart should simply pricematch their website. In both the short and long run it just make sense. But this is Walmart we're talking about here which is a company that makes little to no sense.

Used Site to Store to get the MGS4 PS3 bundle shipped there when they had the $100 GC Offer last year. Worked well, and didn't have to wait long at all to get my order. I wouldn't pay $29 for express service though, because I don't use it enough to justify the cost.

I had the same experience when I used Site to Store to order some cheap computer speakers, it took forever for someone to show up at the counter.

So no, I won't be using this service.

[quote name='wubb']The one time I used site to store it was a big hassle getting an employee to finally show up at the site to store counter who was authorized (and had the inclination) to grab my item for me. I think I stood around waiting (after pressing the help button) for 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

The one time I used it, I had to walk all the way to the back of the store, wait 10 minutes for somebody to show up (only to have the guy tell me to get a guy from Electronics next time since they have to do it anyways) and finally got my product (which I got to carry through the store in the envelope it came in)

Sucky experience the whole way through and it took the same amount of time normal shipping would have taken to reach my house.

[quote name='wubb']So I noticed Wal-Mart is offering site to store Express for $29 per year

http://www.walmart.com/sitetostore

Basically, you pay them $29 and then site to store is twice as fast. Does anybody see themselves signing up for this?

The one time I used site to store it was a big hassle getting an employee to finally show up at the site to store counter who was authorized (and had the inclination) to grab my item for me. I think I stood around waiting (after pressing the help button) for 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]
I agree, only done it once and don't think I'd ever do it again. I literally stood at that counter for 10 minutes before anyone who was capable of helping me got there. Two people walked by, said they weren't able to use the computer there and they'd get someone, it took 10 minutes. I wouldn't ever pay $30 a year to have something quicker and certainly not at a Wal-Mart store.

[quote name='xycury']way too inefficent. Their in store stock is different in store, all stores are different and the same item can be different prices, in store and online, they do not pricematch their own products.[/quote]
Two things to back you up on:

First, I have seen radically different stocks at stores not too far from each other. For example: Store 3562 currently has Valkyria Chronicles for PS3 and the AC/DC trackpack for PS3/360/Wii with the DVD, T-Shirt, and game. Store 2598 has neither of these. Keep in mind these stores are a ten minute freeway drive apart from each other.

As for the prices, I've found prices significantly different in different Wal-Mart's. Again, for example, 2598 is across the street from a Target and Best Buy, so their prices are lower whereas 3562's only competitor in the local area is an IKEA so pretty much everything costs more.

Don't ask me why but yes, I have seen these differences in stock and price in real life many times.

Site to store is crap. If you order something site to store and the store actually has it in stock you should be able to immediatley pick it up. I had to wait 2 weeks for a vacuum I wanted that was in store. I remember ordering the fucking thing, going to Walmart 3 days later and looking at the display model and the 3 boxes sitting right under it. BULLSHIT!

Site to Store is horrible. I've used it twice and each time I've found myself waiting for someone to come over. The first time took about 5 mins, not bad I guess. The second time nobody came over even after paging an employee several times. Another guy waiting for his stuff decided to go grab an employee. It's too much of a hassle, so whenever I decide to buy stuff from walmart.com now I just pay for the shipping.

Besides, what's the point of paying $29 a year? Sure your item arrives at your local walmart quicker but that still doesn't make up for their shitty STS service.

bread's done
Back