Wal-Mart to stop selling HD-DVD in June

eh. I could care less. standard DVD is still the driving force for those sales, and it'll be a while before a high definition DVD becomes the standard.

Just waiting to pounce on the coming HD-DVD liquidation sales (everywhere but Wal-Mart, a place I have not spent a penny in for at least four years now)...I'll bet Amazon's HD-DVD section is going to be my home page at some point this year.

I've been saying this ever since both formats were released. Whichever one Wal-Mart picks will win. In this case, though, it was already pretty much decided. WM's decision just finalizes it. Blockbuster stopped carrying HD last year which I considered a big indicator.

[quote name='SL4IN']eh. I could care less. standard DVD is still the driving force for those sales, and it'll be a while before a high definition DVD becomes the standard.[/quote]

Truth. Blu-Ray will not see mass market penetration until $20 is the cap on standard release prices with $15 new release sale prices. The vast majority of the public won't pay anywhere near current prices for Blu-Ray no matter how much the studios want them to.

Do people even buy HD at full price at Walmart? The one near me has very, very limited selection on HD-DVD to begin with. Even Blu-ray is quite small and both are fully stocked. Never seems like they sell either.

I think the majority of people who buy HD media do so online or when a store offers some type of sale.

I seriously doubt Walmart will have any effect on what's left of the war.

Goodness, how many more times do we have to hear about "last nail in the coffin" for HD-DVD?

The coffin is underground and the carcass is riddled with worms.

bread's done
Back