Wal-Mart workers To Strike On Black Friday????

[quote name='LordVila']While I was in college, I worked at Movie Gallery and we were open 365 days a year. Do you know how much it sucks to work on Christmas? I didn't threaten to strike or say it was unfair for me to work on that day because when I accepted the job I knew there was a possibility I would have to work on Christmas. If you don't like what your job requires you to do then you need to better yourself and look for another job. There are to many opportunities in this country for people to better themselves for people to have to settle on a low skilled job.

Wal-Mart could easily do away with the majority of their cashiers and replace them with automated check outs.[/QUOTE]

As a former Game Crazy employee, holidays did not exist. Worked a few Thanksgivings and Christmas Days, funny thing is customers would walk in and say "You're open" and spend money, and justify stores opening on holidays. Even in my other retail jobs the night before Thanksgiving we would do the set up, at the old local game store I used to help out at we would be there until 1-2 AM price checking and setting up everything.

We as consumers can stop this from happening. Not happy with hearing about people working Thanksgiving, then don't go shopping. But sadly, I know a few people here who want the stores to open early, as most are not here in RI at 8 PM, as a lot of wives would go shopping while the husbands are watching the football game, but if corporate thinks they can make profit, oh well the employees have an option, find a new job.

[quote name='Aldogg'] Not happy with hearing about people working Thanksgiving, then don't go shopping. But sadly, I know a few people here who want the stores to open early, as most are not here in RI at 8 PM, as a lot of wives would go shopping while the husbands are watching the football game, but if corporate thinks they can make profit, oh well the employees have an option, find a new job.[/QUOTE]
I absolutely want the stores to open early. Now that I've found a place to go that doesn't have the crazy crowds seen at Wal-Mart and Best Buy, Black Friday is actually awesome now. Last year was very cool to go out at 11PM and get some deals. I will not wait 5 hours for a deal but I will wait 15 minutes or so.

And as a younger worker, I relished working on holidays. It was fun and had a relaxed atmosphere despite the increased crowds. A lot of rules went out the window and you sort of just had to get people in and out. I don't know how widespread this attitude is, but I just don't care about the actual holiday. I'm not religious nor do I really care about the events behind Thanksgiving. It's just a time go either get extra hours or go eat dinner with some people.

[quote name='Spokker'] I'm not religious nor do I really care about the events behind Thanksgiving. [/QUOTE]

Dude, you have nothing to be thankful for in your life? Really?

[quote name='mykevermin']Right-o. I look forward to cooking a ton, eating a ton, drinking a ton, and spending way too many hours with friends.

Shopping can EAMFD compared to spending time with awesome people on a holiday.

There's something about the attitude towards Wal-Mart employees (or hourly wage employees) in this thread that bothers me, though. It's the general idea that they are the lowest of the low, the scum of the earth, and that they should shut up and accept the scorn we heap on them. They should not only work on Thanksgiving, they should work on Thanksgiving AND we can treat them disrespectfully about it. I think that's incredibly distasteful.[/QUOTE]

I don't personally hate Wal-Mart employees, but there are a select few at my local store that I want to light on fire. I feel bad for the majority of the staff there, more often than not they all have the Peter Gibbons face: Everyday you see them is the worst day of their life.

This is obviously due to the "abuse" they get from the company in the form of "benefits" and low-pay, but as stated before, they knew what they were getting into. What drives ME around the corner is when customers treat them like dog shit because they are "lowly Wal-mart employees", like they are a different species or something. Black Friday and Christmas increases this substantially, buyers act in ways that baffle me...like the employees should be thankful that they are shopping there.

[quote name='packerfan10']You shut up and work and you better not complain about anything.[/QUOTE]

Implicit admission that the "invisible hand of the free market" is wielded by one side of the equation.

Kudos.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I don't personally hate Wal-Mart employees, but there are a select few at my local store that I want to light on fire.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with that at all - but that's more due to who they are and how they act, I'll assume - not because of their lot in life. You don't hate them because they work at Wal-Mart, but because they're fucking assholes, yes?

[quote name='Aldogg']As a former Game Crazy employee, holidays did not exist. Worked a few Thanksgivings and Christmas Days, funny thing is customers would walk in and say "You're open" and spend money, and justify stores opening on holidays. Even in my other retail jobs the night before Thanksgiving we would do the set up, at the old local game store I used to help out at we would be there until 1-2 AM price checking and setting up everything.

We as consumers can stop this from happening. Not happy with hearing about people working Thanksgiving, then don't go shopping. But sadly, I know a few people here who want the stores to open early, as most are not here in RI at 8 PM, as a lot of wives would go shopping while the husbands are watching the football game, but if corporate thinks they can make profit, oh well the employees have an option, find a new job.[/QUOTE]

Actually I'm tempted to go, most of what I see on TV at the time I don't like. Take it from someone who spent times with my relatives on Thanksgiving. I appreciate being around them but one TV with Football on? I'd rather slit my wrists. Can there not be another TV around, I'd even watch Style or possibly even ...shudder.... E!.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/11/17/walmart-tricks-police-handcuff-black-friday-strike-organizer/

In case you hadn’t already heard, thousands of Walmart employees are expected to walk off the job before next week’s shopping extravaganza known as Black Friday. The workers are striking to protest suppressed wages, spiking health care premiums, and management retaliation against employee organizing.

Rivera visited the store where he used to work on Wednesday to talk with some former colleagues about the Black Friday strike. While Rivera paused to sip water from a fountain, police rushed up behind him without warning, grabbed his arms, and wrested him into handcuffs, Josh Eidelson reports for The Nation. The false arrest was a direct result of Walmart management falsely reporting to police that Rivera had signed a trespassing warning preventing him from returning to the premises.

As the truth came to light, the outcome was a high-profile embarrassment for the leading U.S. retailer. Once police discovered that no such trespassing warning existed, they grimaced at being mislead by Walmart reps and released Rivera from custody

[quote name='keithp']Dude, you have nothing to be thankful for in your life? Really?[/QUOTE]
Having read many of his posts, no he doesn't.

Really, though. It's one day for 8.5 hours. You'll get over it.

If you're working in a locked factory for 18 hours straight, or down in a non-ventilated coal mine. Yes, strike. Demand your rights.

But having to eat a Thanksgiving lunch instead of dinner? Missing the big football game? Come on, you'll live. By Saturday I'm sure whatever emotional scars you have from being forced to work on a holiday will be healed.

[quote name='eldergamer']Really, though. It's one day for 8.5 hours. You'll get over it.

If you're working in a locked factory for 18 hours straight, or down in a non-ventilated coal mine. Yes, strike. Demand your rights.

But having to eat a Thanksgiving lunch instead of dinner? Missing the big football game? Come on, you'll live. By Saturday I'm sure whatever emotional scars you have from being forced to work on a holiday will be healed.[/QUOTE]

They want something, something reasonable, and they have the guts to put their jobs on the line to get it.

Haven't you ever stood up for yourself - you sound like a human doormat.

[quote name='camoor']They want something, something reasonable, and they have the guts to put their jobs on the line to get it.

Haven't you ever stood up for yourself - you sound like a human doormat.[/QUOTE]

What do the want that is reasonable? A day off when they are scheduled to work?

Perhaps they should find jobs working for a business that is closed on Thanksgiving. It is NOT reasonable to expect a day off that you are assigned to work. At least not at any of the jobs I've ever had....

[quote name='camoor']They want something, something reasonable, and they have the guts to put their jobs on the line to get it.

Haven't you ever stood up for yourself - you sound like a human doormat.[/QUOTE]
Most people these days are conditioned that they should give up everything for work.

They have every right to fight for their employer to treat them better.

Working holidays is just a fact of retail life though, so not much chance they succeed, especially with so many people still out of work.

As others noted, all we can do as consumers is just not support this consumerist bullshit by rushing out to spend money on stupid Black Friday deals on shit we don't need and mostly don't want.

I've stopped paying much attention even to online deals beyond looking for deals on gifts for others. I came to realize I was buying too many movies, albums, games etc. just because they were cheap and had too much stuff I never watched/listened to/played (or did so once and never touched it again). So now I seldom buy something just because it's cheap. I pretty much know what I want and just buy most things I want around launch unless it's something I don't have a desire to watch or play right then in which case I may wait for a better deal.

Anyway, Wal-mart sucks and consumerism sucks. The only thing we can do is not give companies like Wal-mart that treat their employees like crap our business and not drive consumerism by engaging in Black Friday sales and buying a bunch of stuff we don't need more generally.

[quote name='Clak']Most people these days are conditioned that they should give up everything for work.[/QUOTE]

No, most people are conditioned these days to take what they can get. Fact of like kid; we're in a shit economy. Not everyone can get a job that allows them many of life's luxuries. However, those that can get those jobs that compensate well should be thankful. These Walmart employees work shit jobs, I'll fully admit that. But if that is all they can currently get, then so be it. If they can better themselves and move up, even better. But they knew full-well when they were hired that they may have to work holidays since this is a retail job. There is no reason to throw a bitch fit, as others have said.

[quote name='GBAstar']Perhaps they should find jobs working for a business that is closed on Thanksgiving. It is NOT reasonable to expect a day off that you are assigned to work. At least not at any of the jobs I've ever had....[/QUOTE]

That's why I said you're a human doormat, duh.

[quote name='camoor']That's why I said you're a human doormat, duh.[/QUOTE]

So expecting a day off when you are assigned to work in advance makes you a human doormat huh? A doctor not expecting Christmas off? A professional athlete with a game on Thanksgiving? An EMT scheduled to work NYE? A cashier at 7/11 that has to work Labor Day?

Yep I guess they are doormats for doing as they were contracted to do by their employer?

Not everyone buys into these bullshit sensationalism stories about "poor me". I fully support the employees decision to walk out if they don't like the terms set forth by their employer HOWEVER I don't expect to have to financially support them because they left a job because they didn't want to carry out a reasonable request.

It's also called being an adult. Part of life is doing things you don't want to do, and just suck sometimes. You get over it, you move on. (My parents gave me this attitude. They're very pragmatic)

Shit, there will be other Thanksgivings. Missing part of one isn't going to kill you.

Fight and strike over safe working conditions, or health benefits, or retirement. Not having to work one extra day.

To be fair, the problem is that retail companies treat employees like shit, and Wal-Mart is pretty much at the top of that list.

So being asked to work on Thanksgiving is just one more kick of the workers who are already beat down by everything else. One thing Wal-mart had going for it was they used to be closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter when other stores (grocery etc.) were open. So now they've yanked one more benefit of working there away.

It's also just a sad statement about society that people will go line up to spend money on shit they don't need instead of spending a holiday with family and friends and thus encourage retailers to keep doing this.

[quote name='dmaul1114']To be fair, the problem is that retail companies treat employees like shit, and Wal-Mart is pretty much at the top of that list.

So being asked to work on Thanksgiving is just one more kick of the workers who are already beat down by everything else. One thing Wal-mart had going for it was they used to be closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter when other stores (grocery) etc. were open. So now they've yanked one more benefit of working there away.

It's also just a sad statement about society that people will go line up to spend money on shit they don't need instead of spending a holiday with family and friends and thus encourage retailers to keep doing this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree with your last point. It was a little extreme but I had friends growing up who were Mormons and they would not buy anything (unless it was an emergency) on Sundays or Holidays (the idea being they didn't want to support businesses being open).

I think the bigger problem in retail isn't so much the hourly staff being treated like shit (and for the most part they are) it is the entry level shift managers that getting treated like shit and then it trickles down from there.

[quote name='eldergamer']It's also called being an adult. Part of life is doing things you don't want to do, and just suck sometimes. You get over it, you move on. (My parents gave me this attitude. They're very pragmatic)

Shit, there will be other Thanksgivings. Missing part of one isn't going to kill you.

Fight and strike over safe working conditions, or health benefits, or retirement. Not having to work one extra day.[/QUOTE]
Uhhh...have you seen the Hostess thread? In case you haven't noticed, people are shitting on the ones that fight for those things. Just because someone works a shitty job doesn't mean we have to treat the people that work them like shit.

[quote name='eldergamer']It's also called being an adult. Part of life is doing things you don't want to do, and just suck sometimes. You get over it, you move on. (My parents gave me this attitude. They're very pragmatic)

Fight and strike over safe working conditions, or health benefits, or retirement. Not having to work one extra day.[/QUOTE]

Those actually are 2 of their concerns. Black Friday is being used to hold Walmart over the barrel because it is the most important day of the year to Walmart and thus the most likely day to bring attention to the shit conditions of Walmart. As I already posted...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/1...olice-handcuff-black-friday-strike-organizer/[/QUOTE]

The workers are striking to protest suppressed wages, spiking health care premiums, and management retaliation against employee organizing.

[quote name='GBAstar']So expecting a day off when you are assigned to work in advance makes you a human doormat huh? A doctor not expecting Christmas off? A professional athlete with a game on Thanksgiving? An EMT scheduled to work NYE? A cashier at 7/11 that has to work Labor Day?

Yep I guess they are doormats for doing as they were contracted to do by their employer?

Not everyone buys into these bullshit sensationalism stories about "poor me". I fully support the employees decision to walk out if they don't like the terms set forth by their employer HOWEVER I don't expect to have to financially support them because they left a job because they didn't want to carry out a reasonable request.[/QUOTE]

Too much wrong with this post, I'll try to hit the high notes.

- Pro-athletes are not doormats, they strike all the time.
- Healthcare industry is a different beast, not relevant to this convo.
- Sounds like you are a supporter of bringing back the Poor Laws

The workers are striking to protest suppressed wages, spiking health care premiums, and management retaliation against employee organizing

So what you're saying is that in the coming months we should see protests by all retail employees as well as those in service industries and other low paying jobs.

I mean low wages and spiking health care premiums aren't just issues faced by walmart employees... right?

[quote name='GBAstar']So what you're saying is that in the coming months we should see protests by all retail employees as well as those in service industries and other low paying jobs.

I mean low wages and spiking health care premiums aren't just issues faced by walmart employees... right?[/QUOTE]

Yep, because that quote is directly from the article which I apparently wrote now...

Here's the fucking context, because apparently you're too dense to get it.

-Eldergamer says not to strike unless its for something like low pay or benefits
-I reply, with a cited source, that those actually are 2 of their concerns
-You herp, derp your dumbass in apparently saying that I'm advocating all industries strike within the coming months.

What the actual fuck? There's misconstruing, and then there's completely changing what someone says. you're about 5 miles past both of those...

I work at 7:45pm on thursday and I'm off at 11:45pm before 12am so that I don't get holiday pay carrying over to the next day after a 15 min. break I have to come in at 12am till 7:30am sleep and come back same day at 5:30pm till 11:45pm for the final shift. Then I get Saturday off to think about my life. My five friends are going to be hanging out at sweet apple acres drinking cider and having veggie burgers I got to make sure adults don't fight and take care of their children while wearing pjs for a tv that will be return in a few days.

[quote name='eldergamer']Really, though. It's one day for 8.5 hours. You'll get over it. .[/QUOTE]

Actually for a lot of us It's worst. I'm working 12 hours 5pm to 5am (usually sleep around 1amish at worst) so I'll be exhausted. Then to top it off I have to come back at 5pm (less then 12 hours after leaving when you factor in when I'll punch out/get away from the crowd) the next day for five hours and possibly work Saturday.
Not exactly fun. But again, It's a job and I think people walking out are a bit crazy/have nothing better to do and don't need the money. I don't exactly want to lose my job with 9% unemployment in my state, which doesn't even counter the underemployed (IE part timers looking for full time).

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yep, because that quote is directly from the article which I apparently wrote now...

Here's the fucking context, because apparently you're too dense to get it.

-Eldergamer says not to strike unless its for something like low pay or benefits
-I reply, with a cited source, that those actually are 2 of their concerns
-You herp, derp your dumbass in apparently saying that I'm advocating all industries strike within the coming months.

What the actual fuck? There's misconstruing, and then there's completely changing what someone says. you're about 5 miles past both of those...[/QUOTE]

So because its a quote from an article you can irresponsibly repost it as fact? If it is fact please show me the evidence that the wages earned by Walmart employees are shockingly lower then those earned by others who work in the retail industry and also show me that their health care premiums are that much more.

You won't be able to do it because it isn't a fucking fact. It's something called an opinion.

They are striking because in their opinion there wages are too low and the health care premiums are too high and I can promise you they are in line with many others that work in the retail industry.

[quote name='GBAstar']So because its a quote from an article you can irresponsibly repost it as fact? If it is fact please show me the evidence that the wages earned by Walmart employees are shockingly lower then those earned by others who work in the retail industry and also show me that their health care premiums are that much more.

You won't be able to do it because it isn't a fucking fact. It's something called an opinion.

They are striking because in their opinion there wages are too low and the health care premiums are too high and I can promise you they are in line with many others that work in the retail industry.[/QUOTE]

You are literally all over the fucking place. I never asserted their concerns were factually based. I'm fairly certain they didn't convene a congressional inquiry to determine if their fucking wages were too low before they decided to strike. I will assert right now that it is a FACT that their OPINION is that they want better wages and benefits which, once again, was to refute the assertion that they were only striking because they had to work a holiday.

Either keep up or shut up with your ridiculous god damn straw man arguments.

I know it's part of my sig from Fight Club but it can never be said enough:

"Damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."

[quote name='GBAstar']So because its a quote from an article you can irresponsibly repost it as fact? If it is fact please show me the evidence that the wages earned by Walmart employees are shockingly lower then those earned by others who work in the retail industry and also show me that their health care premiums are that much more.

They are striking because in their opinion there wages are too low and the health care premiums are too high and I can promise you they are in line with many others that work in the retail industry.[/QUOTE]

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/21/1163555/-The-truth-about-Walmart-wages

I feel no sympathy for them. You have a job, be happy with that. You know what you're getting into when you sign up for Wal-Mart. Someone has to be the janitor even in a Utopia.

I work in a non profit animal shelter. We don't take holidays off, nor do we get paid anything extra to work holidays. We still have to work 8-5 on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years...whatever day it is. My dad is a doctor and I'm going to be a cop. Neither of those professions have every holiday off. If you don't like the work you are currently doing, then work harder and get a better job. Its not like Wal Mart employees are scientists or doctors. They aren't in high demand and Wal-Mart can easily replace them regardless of what their reason for striking is.

I've worked thanksgiving for years and it isn't a big deal to me but their claims of wanting more wages are valid. I'm tired of the government having to provide subsidies because Wal-Mart doesn't pay their people enough.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Many of those industries are essential for society such as emergency workers. Retail isn't, in any fashion, an essential service. There's no reason for retail to be open on Thanksgiving, give people a day off to spend with their families.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%:applause:, but don't forget if people weren't willing to shop on Thanksgiving stores wouldn't be open. We need to send retail the message that spending time with family on Thanksgiving is more important. You can bet your a$$ that the C.E.O's of these companies aren't working on the holidays.

[quote name='slickkill77']I feel no sympathy for them. You have a job, be happy with that. You know what you're getting into when you sign up for Wal-Mart. Someone has to be the janitor even in a Utopia.

I work in a non profit animal shelter. We don't take holidays off, nor do we get paid anything extra to work holidays. We still have to work 8-5 on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years...whatever day it is. My dad is a doctor and I'm going to be a cop. Neither of those professions have every holiday off. If you don't like the work you are currently doing, then work harder and get a better job. Its not like Wal Mart employees are scientists or doctors. They aren't in high demand and Wal-Mart can easily replace them regardless of what their reason for striking is.[/QUOTE]

You know, I disagree with your point but I at least respected it to a certain degree... That is, until you made the post about them not being scientists or doctors which absolutely reeks of elitism. They're just retail workers so why should we care? fuck off man, you're no better than any of them or any one else for that matter.

[quote name='Spyder187']Sorry, but quoting a blatant pro-union propaganda website only makes things more obvious about what is truly going on with all of this. This is really just another attempt at unions to try to get their footing in a company that so far has kept them out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah because the journal articles cited were written with the idea that there might be a Wal-Mart strike in the future.

If you don't like what they wrote find something that refutes it. Show something that demonstrates how awesome Wal-Mart is for communities and his their actions don't depress wages.

bread's done
Back