Walmart PSN Cards on Clearance - YMMV

Darkprime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Just got back from my local walmart in Dumfries, VA where I got a $50 PSN card for $40. They had tons of them, as well as $20 cards for $17.

0516090707.jpg

[quote name='DX']Not YMMV, home office based price change. Saw this a few days ago.[/QUOTE]

Checked 2 Walmarts tonight and scanned the card at the price checker, both rang up $50. Are you saying that each Wal-mart will eventually follow these reductions?

[quote name='shoe478']Checked 2 Walmarts tonight and scanned the card at the price checker, both rang up $50. Are you saying that each Wal-mart will eventually follow these reductions?[/QUOTE]

Yes. You just have a lazy ass department manager who has not done price changes yet.

[quote name='DX']Yes. You just have a lazy ass department manager who has not done price changes yet.[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason why? Are they going to stop carrying them?

I noticed that they were all gone when I was there yesterday, but they were not tagged anything differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ecofreak']*CONFIRMED*
Fairfax, Va.
Stock: ~60 $50 cards || ~70 $20 cards
Price: Just like the OP states

I picked up 3 $50 cards for $120. Looks like my PS3 will truly become the heart of my entertainment set-up.[/QUOTE]

That's the one near me too. I will go pick one up, if they aren't already gone...

[quote name='dreamer2050']If u find them please tell me as i live around same area.thanks[/QUOTE]

I live a few minutes from that store I should check it out.

My 4 local walmarts ( rochester, ny ) do have the cards but NONE of the stores have the cards discounted in any way. The amount that is listed on the card is the price we must pay for it. I mentioned that several other walmarts had these on clearance. They said the stores here will not be marking them down. They sell too well at the original price.

[quote name='The What?']Does anyone know if any NY or NYC Walmarts have them marked down?[/QUOTE]
:cry:
No joy when I went to the Secaucus, NJ store this morning. No $20 cards at all, about 40 $50 cards. I took one to a price check scanner, and it scanned at $50.

I hope the poster who suggested this WILL be in all stores is right. I always love a 20% discount!

PS I did not see them at the checkouts. Just in the electronics area. Since they are not tagged like games are, you can leave the area with them. Long lines, today.

I picked up a $50 for $40 at the Fair Lakes, VA store. They had plenty left. Cashier was a total hottie too... but that's neither here nor there.

No go at Porter Ranch, CA, and got a lovely smackdown from the cashier in the process. She refused to scan the card for a price check multiple times, I had to nearly beg her, she kept saying "Can't you see they're $50 right on the front of the card?" I told her that many stores were clearing them out at $40 and couldn't she just scan it, she refused, saying it doesn't matter what other stores are doing... I SO WANTED them to ring up at $40 but they didn't. :(

Gotta love it when the employees actively avoid just doing their job (and I was super polite and just asked her to scan it, I wasn't like "Gimme this for $40!", it would've taken her 3 seconds to scan it but instead she wanted to stand there and get in a fight with me. :p

[quote name='mtxbass1']My walmart(s) had stacks of the $50's, and every single walmart scanned at $50.

What a rip.[/QUOTE]
same here

I couldn't even find any at the Addison, IL store. Like, not even a place where they go. I'm not sure if that particular store carries them.

Went to the store the OP mentioned and the card did scan as $50 but the cashier marked it down to $40 I have a couple of cards for sale.

[quote name='KaitouDark']Went to the store the OP mentioned and the card did scan as $50 but the cashier marked it down to $40 I have a couple of cards for sale.[/QUOTE]
Whoa . . .
the cashier marked it down? Did you discuss the discount with them? Did they know it was wrong at $50?

More info, please!

At the store that the OP went to I went to the cashier in electronics and it rang up as $50, I told him it was marked as $40 so he took a look at the display and marked it down to $40 each.

Confirmed in Albuquerque, NM, at the San Mateo & Central store.

$20 cards ringing up at $17
$50 cards ringing up at $40

No signs advertising the price difference. Also, no tax charged (which makes sense, but I, too, wasn't sure).

[quote name='trabbahabba']Gonna have to check at my local on this one. That's crazy! PSN cards are different than XBLA cards because they use actual money and dollar amounts instead of arbitrary points.

So, essentially, Wal-Mart just clearanced money. I didn't know that was possible, but leave it to those crazy ass fuckers at Wal-Mart![/QUOTE]

It's EXACTLY like XBLA cards. The only difference is the presentation. Where'd you get a foolish idea like that anyway?

[quote name='Chronis']I'd like to know this also[/QUOTE]

As you know, in New York, they do. They do this with Wii Points, PSN Cards, and XBLA Points. Most all places do this.

Hell, even Amazon charges tax for New Yorkers now.

Thanks for that, fucking Governor Patterson! :bomb:

[quote name='UlysisAM']As you know, in New York, they do. They do this with Wii Points, PSN Cards, and XBLA Points. Most all places do this.

Thanks for that, fucking Governor Patterson! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

not only that, you get taxed when you purchase games/videos on the PS Network too, so they tax us twice

I didn't pay tax when I bought mine (Fairfax, VA). Just $40 even. It's the same when I buy Microsoft Point cards.

I can confirm this in the Walmart in Woodstock, IL. Scanned both a $50 and $20 cards, and they came up as $40 and $17, respectively. Picked up a $50 card for myself for $40, with no tax.

[quote name='UlysisAM']As you know, in New York, they do. They do this with Wii Points, PSN Cards, and XBLA Points. Most all places do this.

I'm not trying to make this a political topic, but I love when states run by democrats complain about high taxes :lol:

oh, and i stopped by a walmart in brookfield wi and all the cards were discounted

Move to PA my brother. Our taxes are much lower than NY and NJ.

Errr, stop spreading bad info for NY please. PSN cards are not taxed, $20 is $20, in this case, the discounted price. The PSN purchases are taxed when you checkout the cart, duh!

PSN cards are not taxed in NY... i can't vouch for Wal-mart in NY, but GS, TRU, Targets, Best Buy, they don't tax PSN cards.

As for Amazon NY taxes, please get over it already... I know it's not right, but it's old topic. There's a loophole in the internet tax wording and NY government took advantage of it. Hey, Newegg was able to get out it you know? But not Buy.com and Amazon.com yet...

I can't say the same for Xbox cards and Wii cards, since i never buy those.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'm not trying to make this a political topic, but I love when states run by democrats complain about high taxes :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Here's a tip: don't mention anything about politics and you can avoid political topics.

I can't find a single store in NY state that sells these so far for the sale price (the customer service sucks by telephone conversation) If nobody knows it yet you can find the Online link for PSN cards and type in the nearest store by area code.

Link:
PSN CARD $50.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...0000003142040&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10730414

Link:
PSN CARD $20.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00003142040&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10730413If

*If somebody in NY can help me just PM me.

Long Live CHEAP ASS GAMER!

[quote name='evergoo']There's no Walmart nearby on such a great deal. :whistle2:(

Willing to pay $170 ($10 extra) for 4 $50 PSN Cards via PayPal. No shipping needed; just pm me the codes. Please send me a pm if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

PM sent.

[quote name='Serpentor']Errr, stop spreading bad info for NY please. PSN cards are not taxed, $20 is $20, in this case, the discounted price. The PSN purchases are taxed when you checkout the cart, duh![/QUOTE]

You can even avoid getting charged at checkout on PSN by changing the home state of your user account's address to one that has no sales tax.

[quote name='The What?']I can't find a single store in NY state that sells these so far for the sale price (the customer service sucks by telephone conversation) If nobody knows it yet you can find the Online link for PSN cards and type in the nearest store by area code.

Link:
PSN CARD $50.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...0000003142040&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10730414

Link:
PSN CARD $20.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00003142040&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10730413If

*If somebody in NY can help me just PM me.

Long Live CHEAP ASS GAMER![/QUOTE]
Those two links just redirect me to the main home page.

edit: Here are some links. Maybe they'll work for others

$50
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10730414

$20
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10730413

edit2: It's because The What?'s links are hidden behind linksynergy

[quote name='Serpentor']PSN cards are not taxed in NY... i can't vouch for Wal-mart in NY, but GS, TRU, Targets, Best Buy, they don't tax PSN cards.

As for Amazon NY taxes, please get over it already... I know it's not right, but it's old topic. There's a loophole in the internet tax wording and NY government took advantage of it. Hey, Newegg was able to get out it you know? But not Buy.com and Amazon.com yet...

I can't say the same for Xbox cards and Wii cards, since i never buy those.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have been taxed by Best Buy once for a PSN card.

I'm not complaining about Amazon taxing NYers, I'm just saying.

I do have to give you props for your NY attitude, though...asshole. ;)

[quote name='surak']You can even avoid getting charged at checkout on PSN by changing the home state of your user account's address to one that has no sales tax.[/QUOTE]

Can you please elaborate on this (such as an example state)? I'd love to avoid being taxed on my PSN purchases.

Wal*Mart is actually clearancing something and it isn't a .10 drop from MSRP?

Seriously though, I guess I'm the only person who would much rather have the physical games rather than paying for code that you can only re-download so many times before they block you from doing so.

I groaned when I paid for any of the PSN games I've bought already, but I figured the cards I did get would come in handy when/if some good DLC came out for any games I own.

However, that has not happened as of yet, with the exception being the "Blow It Up Again" pack for Mercs 2, which I got for free back in November or so anyway.

[quote name='eastx']Can you please elaborate on this (such as an example state)? I'd love to avoid being taxed on my PSN purchases.[/QUOTE]

You can put in California. I have never gotten taxed for PSN purchases.

Culpeper, VA store has tons of both cards none of which are labeled as clearance, but the $50 card did ring up as $40 for me. I assume the $20 is on clearance as well but I didn't scan those.

I wish Walmart would follow Target's example on how to clearance items. My store still has leftover xmas toys on clearance and they're still only 25% off!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] Wal*Mart is actually clearancing something and it isn't a .10 drop from MSRP?

Seriously though, I guess I'm the only person who would much rather have the physical games rather than paying for code that you can only re-download so many times before they block you from doing so.

I groaned when I paid for any of the PSN games I've bought already, but I figured the cards I did get would come in handy when/if some good DLC came out for any games I own.

However, that has not happened as of yet, with the exception being the "Blow It Up Again" pack for Mercs 2, which I got for free back in November or so anyway.[/QUOTE]
Unless you activated your PSN account on more than 5 PS3s, this would not be a problem. You can download unlimited times on up to 5 activated PS3s.

Why you repaid for something you already paid for is unknown to me.

[quote name='disillusion386']Still sending me to the main page. Oh well. I'll check my Walmart this afternoon after work.[/QUOTE]
If you click on Quote again, you can see the full address. Copy/paste that instead of the linksynergy link that takes over.

[quote name='disillusion386']Still sending me to the main page. Oh well. I'll check my Walmart this afternoon after work.[/QUOTE]
If you click on Quote again, you can see the full address. Copy/paste that instead of the linksynergy link that takes over.

bread's done
Back