Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is odd, as I can only imagine on black friday it's essentially a free-for-all for shoplifters since none of the discounted games/accessories/consoles are in cases or even spiderwrapped.
True. It's not always a pleasant experience going shopping for games at WM, cause they make you feel like a criminal during the process. Even yesterday, before I eventually bought some of the 3-cent Wii games, the employee came up to me and said something like, 'you need to check out at the counter right now'. I told her I was still scanning other titles first, and she said, 'we don't feel comfortable with all those games out of the case right now' (even though I wasn't in possession of them myself).. Sheesh.

Also, you're right about Black Friday. I've seen tons of police at Walmart on Black Friday, due to shoplifting concerns. I imagine games are a big target.

[attachment=29383:20180129_225007.jpg]

They had goldensun and legend of korra but rang up full price.

I just took them to self checkout and put in my $0.06 cents.

Really only wanted monster hunter 3 or goldensun.  Legend of Korra rang up full price and I didn't scan them at another store. It's shovelware with so little TIV that it wasn't worth is. End up with a stack of shovelware that you can't give away.

Make sure you guys get while the gettin’s good, cuz if your Walmart is anything like the one I just went to, it ain’t gonna last long. I was able to snag a single copy each of :ps3: The Wolf Among Us and :Wii: Metroid: Other M. Dude at electronics rang them up, saw they were $0.03, paused, canceled the transaction, rang them up again, saw they were still $0.03, paused again, scanned both games with the Walmart app on his phone, saw they were both coming up as $0.03, paused yet again, scanned both games with the handheld scanner, saw they both rang up $0.03 in-store but different prices online, paused yet AGAIN, and then finally radioed a manager for assistance. The AM came over, saw both games were ringing up as $0.03 no matter how hard the associate tried to change them, and said, “Okay, sell them to him.” After I paid with my nickel and two pennies, I heard the AM ask the associate, “How many of those games do we still have on the floor? Do me a favor and go pull the rest, would you? And then scan all the games to make sure there aren’t any others that ring up like that.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you guys get while the gettin’s good, cuz if your Walmart is anything like the one I just went to, it ain’t gonna last long. I was able to snag a single copy each of :ps3: The Wolf Among Us and :Wii: Metroid: Other M. Dude at electronics rang them up, saw they were $0.03, paused, canceled the transaction, rang them up again, saw they were still $0.03, paused again, scanned both games with the Walmart app on his phone, saw they were both coming up as $0.03, paused yet again, scanned both games with the handheld scanner, saw they both rang up $0.03 in-store but different prices online, paused yet AGAIN, and then finally radioed a manager for assistance. The AM came over, saw both games were ringing up as $0.03 no matter how hard the associate tried to change them, and said, “Okay, sell them to him.” After I paid with my nickel and two pennies, I heard the AM ask the associate, “How many of those games do we still have on the floor? Do me a favor and go pull the rest, would you? And then scan all the games to make sure there aren’t any others that ring up like that.”

Yep, get while the getting is good. Both Walmart employees and fellow bargain hunters are wising up to this deal. I’ve seen pockets of games disappearing at stores around me on Brickseek. Going to make a big run for this and other clearance at a major city near me today. Happy hunting everyone!

I pretty much scanned every single game to make sure I didn't leave anything behind for that very reason. I got lucky with 2 copies of Professor Layton and the Unbound Future and 1 of PGA Masters 12 at the same Wal-Mart that is pretty much the center of all of them around me. The guy I met earlier in the day at Saddle Brook, NJ Wal-Mart (told me he saw the clearance on GameFAQs) that he went to the Garfield location and it was picked clean so he didn't check enough for sure.

For North Jersey CAGs, the Garfield, NJ, Saddle Brook, NJ, and Teterboro, NJ locations are picked clean. I don't know about Secaucus, NJ yet, I'm going later today.

I pretty much scanned every single game to make sure I didn't leave anything behind for that very reason. I got lucky with 2 copies of Professor Layton and the Unbound Future and 1 of PGA Masters 12 at the same Wal-Mart that is pretty much the center of all of them around me. The guy I met earlier in the day at Saddle Brook, NJ Wal-Mart (told me he saw the clearance on GameFAQs) that he went to the Garfield location and it was picked clean so he didn't check enough for sure.

For North Jersey CAGs, the Garfield, NJ, Saddle Brook, NJ, and Teterboro, NJ locations are picked clean. I don't know about Secaucus, NJ yet, I'm going later today.
GameFaqs?! Is that still a thing? I haven't been there since Gamespot bought it.

Yeah I think I'm done with this deal. Found 4 copies of Other M at a store today, ran them through self checkout and was almost home free out the door until the receipt checker looked at my receipt and said 'this ain't right'. Called over LP who took the games out of my hand and got a manager to come over. Manager said 'we aren't selling these to you, we don't sell anything this cheap', took the games and my receipt to a register and refunded the 13 cents I paid. Then said something to another associate nearby about bringing them back to electronics to mark up to full price again. Not worth the hassle.

Yeah I think I'm done with this deal. Found 4 copies of Other M at a store today, ran them through self checkout and was almost home free out the door until the receipt checker looked at my receipt and said 'this ain't right'. Called over LP who took the games out of my hand and got a manager to come over. Manager said 'we aren't selling these to you, we don't sell anything this cheap', took the games and my receipt to a register and refunded the 13 cents I paid. Then said something to another associate nearby about bringing them back to electronics to mark up to full price again. Not worth the hassle.
Essentially the same thing happened to me. I called corporate about it though. Took all of 5 minutes to get through. May or may not get a good resolution, but screw them.

Essentially the same thing happened to me. I called corporate about it though. Took all of 5 minutes to get through. May or may not get a good resolution, but screw them.
What exactly did you say? It's probably not worth the effort but I may do the same. I could see denying it at a register maybe but to force a refund after I already paid and am almost out the door is a little ridiculous. Not even sure that's legal.

I told the rep what the ASM did. How the whole thing went down is the the clerk got alarmed by the games ringing up so cheaply, she went and got another CSR. That CSR took it to the ASM. The ASM said I couldn't buy the games. He came up with some kind of BS line to me about the prices being glitched and they were going to send the games back to corporate. I made sure to catch his name because it ticked me off something fierce to just lie like that. Especially given that I bought some other clearance stuff in that same transaction and they had no problem selling that to me. The rep that took my call seemed taken aback by it.

What a prick. I definitely would have called corporate and complained...if it’s on the sales floor, it is a salable item and should be honored as such. Pricing is always trickier, but I’ve found that if you’re respectful but firm, a manager will usually approve the sale regardless of how cheap the item is (within reason, of course). fuck that receipt checker in the ass with a dry cactus.

Couldn’t tell you the last time I had a receipt checked. They always just smile and wave.

Reminder: you don't have to show them the receipt

What exactly did you say? It's probably not worth the effort but I may do the same. I could see denying it at a register maybe but to force a refund after I already paid and am almost out the door is a little ridiculous. Not even sure that's legal.
It's not legal. It's your property once you have purchased it. They stole your goods from your hands.

That sounds illegal as fuck. I would have called the police and not have given them the receipt. They have no right to refund you the items when you didn't approve of it.

Alright well it looks like I'll be calling corporate at least and get their take on it. Shouldn't have expected any different from a store that still keeps Cory in the House behind glass at $30.

I agree that if you paid for it, have a receipt. A sale occurred and it is legally yours now.

But don't expect sympathy if they refuse it before that btw. They are in the right not to sell it.

I stopped at a few stores last night.  The first one had mainly :ps2: games and :ps3: sports games but they were all organized and easy to go through.  The second store, however, had all of their "budget" games locked in coffins and just thrown into one of those five foot bins.  After about 45 minutes of digging I found a Persona 4 Arena :ps3: and a FIFA Soccer :vita: (score!) and a sore neck and back (boo!).

I stopped at my closest store this morning and I have never seen this store so neat and orderly and clean.  I found nothing and scrammed fast.

For everyone that is running into issues with being sold the games (not being forced to return the games, that's NUTS), bear in mind that the games aren't meant for sale when they hit this price.  These games might still be on the floor due to various reasons, but consider yourself lucky to walk out with anything at this price.  :)

I have 2 questions about clearance items and Briskseek.

1. If a Walmart doesn't even show up when entering something on Brickseek, does that mean that there is 0% chance it is in the store?

2. On the flipside, if a Walmart does show up and shows quantity as 0 but says "Limited Quantity" does that actually mean there is a chance they have it in stock?

The specific game in question is the Robinson game for PSVR.  I'm debating driving to Walmart at lunch break but I have 2 within driving distance that fall into both categories up above.

Just because the register allows it, doesn't mean it's for sale.
The register allows $0.02c items too, those are not supposed to be sold at all. Register will even allow purchases of $0.01c inventory display items but those aren't supposed to be sold either.

It has nothing to do with the registers.

I found Kirby's Epic Yarn, Metroid other M, and SteelDiver; sales associate ringed it up and was dumbfounded so she called over the manager. He checked the price a couple times and then they just sold it to me, no fuss no muss. Looks like the treatment from store to store is very YMMV, also SteelDriver was $15 so I'm gonna be returning it.

2. On the flipside, if a Walmart does show up and shows quantity as 0 but says "Limited Quantity" does that actually mean there is a chance they have it in stock?
There's always a chance, even if it says "out of stock" and the quantity shows 0. One of my local Walmarts showed out of stock for one of the 3 cent games, but they actually had 4 of them. I got all of them and it showed -4 after that. That's rare, though.

I’ve been polite and calm during transactions, but holy fuck they treat you like a shoplifter. One clerk was muttering under his breath when a manager OKed it and threw my bag with two DS games in it across the counter.

This is a huge YMMV situation. It really depends how much of a smart cookie the employee is you deal with. I had one employee not bat an eye, as she sold me 9 games for 27 cents. The next day, I tried for 4 3-cent games and the employee called a manager instantly when she saw the scanned price and he refused the transaction.

I’ve been polite and calm during transactions, but holy fuck they treat you like a shoplifter. One clerk was muttering under his breath when a manager OKed it and threw my bag with two DS games in it across the counter.
I don't understand why the clerk would be so upset?! I am pretty sure Walmart employees don't get to profit share.

Found a copy of Other M at my local store locked in the case.  Didn't want to risk a price check and just said I wanted it.  They threw it in one of the theft cases instead of immediately ringing it up for me as I had a basket with some stuff.  Took it up to a self scanner and it rang up out of the system, figure I roll the dice anyway and checked out.  When the associate scanned it and it came up to input a price, she immediately without asking any questions put in a price of $30. :roll:

In for one return I guess.

This is garbage treatment from WM. Once you pay for something, the transaction is over. What can they do, arrest you for paying?? If you had walked past them to your car, I wonder what would have happened. I agree that it's not worth the hassle in the end for a few games but it's the principle. When you pay for something and complete the transaction, IT'S YOURS.

If anyone that struck out desperately wants a copy of Bound by Flame as a consolation prize, I can spare 1 of the 30 copies at my local store.

This is garbage treatment from WM. Once you pay for something, the transaction is over. What can they do, arrest you for paying?? If you had walked past them to your car, I wonder what would have happened. I agree that it's not worth the hassle in the end for a few games but it's the principle. When you pay for something and complete the transaction, IT'S YOURS.
I have thought about that as well. I agree once you pay for something and the transaction is done, they can't stop you but I can just imagine that if the police were called, there is chance of running into a problem. I just remember ridiculous stories over the years like the guy that tried to pay for something at Best Buy with $2 bills, the store thought they were fake, police were called and he was arrested.

When I first started buying penny guides, once at Best Buy the manager said he can't let me leave the store with them even though the transaction was finished and I had the receipt (manager was called to over-ride a price to mark down a clearance game in a separate transaction and the cashier made a comment about the guides. I didn't know the game was going to require an over-ride). I was a teenager at the time and my dad was with me who said the sale was done and mentioned how legally the guides were ours and eventually the manager backed down. Surprisingly, that was the only time at Best Buy I ever had a problem buying the guides.

I noticed most of the games I saw on this list were missing from my Walmart even though I saw them last time. They had a few left but the lady who took off the security cases also swiped them even though it was self checkout, then called the manager and they refused to sell them. Manager said they already recalled most of them and didnt realize there were any left. Did get that 32 inch curved monitor for 50 bucks tho so no complaints here. Will repost link incase any left somewhere:

Samsung 32 inch curved monitor: https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=213730110

There's always a chance, even if it says "out of stock" and the quantity shows 0. One of my local Walmarts showed out of stock for one of the 3 cent games, but they actually had 4 of them. I got all of them and it showed -4 after that. That's rare, though.
Last night I ran into a bunch of games that I scanned and the Walmart app said that the store I was in was out of stock. Clearly not. :)

Occasionally I've seen some games at Walmart when that Walmart doesn't appear in the BS search results. This is the situation when the store price scanner says, "Please see an associate" because the game is out of their system.

These 3 cent games have flooded this thread lol. Honestly I don’t see any desire in them. Basically free trash games it seems to me. But to each his own.

They're not bad games, Bront.

Seriously, Sin and Punishment is worth three cents easily. Maybe even Metroid Other M, although that game left a bad taste in peoples' mouths. I mean, if you're just buying them to flip them, you're wasting your time, but if you want to play them they're worth the pocket change.

I noticed most of the games I saw on this list were missing from my Walmart even though I saw them last time. They had a few left but the lady who took off the security cases also swiped them even though it was self checkout, then called the manager and they refused to sell them. Manager said they already recalled most of them and didnt realize there were any left. Did get that 32 inch curved monitor for 50 bucks tho so no complaints here. Will repost link incase any left somewhere:

Samsung 32 inch curved monitor: https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=213730110
Did you find this on the sales floor? They have a few nearby but asking will just alert the vulture employees.

bread's done
Back