Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
attachicon.gif
20180723_205933.jpg

Got 19 Vudu Sparks. Then i sell 10 for
$75 in a Pawn Shop! Thanks RaysGame

I didn't know cheapassgamer.com redirects to slickdeals.net. Must have been a buyout or merger.

attachicon.gif
20180723_205933.jpg

Got 19 Vudu Sparks. Then i sell 10 for
$75 in a Pawn Shop! Thanks RaysGame
As a CAG, I applaud your luck and tenacity. As a Walmart employee I feel bad for the person that must have gotten yelled at for letting this happen. Because I understand electronics letting this go, but how did AP not see this when they check receipts??

Those Vudu Sparks are $0.03 at basically every Walmart in the nation, probably are supposed to be sent back but it's the same thing that happened with the 3ds games

As a CAG, I applaud your luck and tenacity. As a Walmart employee I feel bad for the person that must have gotten yelled at for letting this happen. Because I understand electronics letting this go, but how did AP not see this when they check receipts??
A lot of stores don’t check receipts. It’s also possible his store had the sticks where he could pull them off the shelf and take them to self checkout.

one was in electronics and the others had to look for them in the back. What means AP?

Brickseek is showing the PS4 version of No Man's Sky on clearance in some stores for $10, and other stores for $19.93. That's a pretty good deal if you want to try the brand new NEXT expansion that releases today, and changes the game into an online multiplayer open world shooter/space battle/base building/material crafting game.

What are they supposed to do when they check the receipt? "Oh sir, you have to return those, it looks like the wrong price". They would just verify the price and item match the receipt and let them on their way. $0.03c are supposed to be returned to the warehouse / manufacturer but can still be sold. If someone bought it, it is theirs.

It sucks b/c I bought some 3 cent games before at multiple stores no problem. At one store I went to they actually had tags out showing they were 3 cents. I bought them all and the guy who rang me up knew about it and was the one that put up the stickers for them.

I get to the front and the lady ask for my receipt (which was odd since my items were in a bag and they don't normally check receipts if you have a bag with you, only for items w/o a bag). I show her, she proclaims it must be wrong. I hand her one of the items so she can verify the item matches the receipt. She doesn't even look and calls a manager over. Ok, I understand she isn't sure and doesn't want to get into trouble (idk how she would though but whatever).

Manager comes over, verifies it is the same item and it is indeed 3 cents but still won't let me leave the store. She calls over electronics and no one answers. We wait 15 minutes and I told her to just go to electronics herself to see the tag marked 3 cents and the employee who sold them to me. We do. We go over there and I explain to the employee what is going on. He says "what's the problem, it rings up 3 cents and we printed tags for that price too". Manager apologizes for wasting my time. I go to leave and was stopped again by the lady who initially stopped me and refused to verify the item herself. She again asked me for my receipt, I just walked passed her since I'm not doing that shit again.

What are they supposed to do when they check the receipt? "Oh sir, you have to return those, it looks like the wrong price". They would just verify the price and item match the receipt and let them on their way. $0.03c are supposed to be returned to the warehouse / manufacturer but can still be sold. If someone bought it, it is theirs.

It sucks b/c I bought some 3 cent games before at multiple stores no problem. At one store I went to they actually had tags out showing they were 3 cents. I bought them all and the guy who rang me up knew about it and was the one that put up the stickers for them.

I get to the front and the lady ask for my receipt (which was odd since my items were in a bag and they don't normally check receipts if you have a bag with you, only for items w/o a bag). I show her, she proclaims it must be wrong. I hand her one of the items so she can verify the item matches the receipt. She doesn't even look and calls a manager over. Ok, I understand she isn't sure and doesn't want to get into trouble (idk how she would though but whatever).

Manager comes over, verifies it is the same item and it is indeed 3 cents but still won't let me leave the store. She calls over electronics and no one answers. We wait 15 minutes and I told her to just go to electronics herself to see the tag marked 3 cents and the employee who sold them to me. We do. We go over there and I explain to the employee what is going on. He says "what's the problem, it rings up 3 cents and we printed tags for that price too". Manager apologizes for wasting my time. I go to leave and was stopped again by the lady who initially stopped me and refused to verify the item herself. She again asked me for my receipt, I just walked passed her since I'm not doing that shit again.
Bravo to you, sir...I have no patience for those who act like the damn policy police when their own supervisor has already given the okay. Hey, I get it: you have a job to do, and no one is trying to get in trouble for NOT doing it, but once the manager gives the green light, it’s time to let it go. The other thing I do is just pretend I’m on a call on my cell or something and just walk out the door like I’m super focused on my call. Even if the door person asks to see my receipt (which they don’t 90% of the time), just showing them that I have one in my hands is enough without them having to physically grab it and examine each and every line item.

You'd think so. I was in a similar situation for the $.03 games. Bought them at checkout and was asked for receipt. Manager came over, said 'that's not the price, we can't sell those', took them and returned them at the nearest register. The lengths these people will go to to screw you know no bounds.

I work as a receipt checker. To be completely fair, unless I'm told otherwise, I'd just let people buy the stuff that's 2 or 3 cents from electronics and is meant to be returned to the warehouse. Key phrase here is "meant to be returned". I had a lady a few days ago that only paid 12 cents for a bag of cherries that cost $2.98/lb. At THAT point, there was no way I could let her through. Sure she could have caused a ruckus, felt indignant and kept going threatening to call corporate, but I'd still need to log it as an incident.

I can't say what my colleagues would do, but in the event that an individual came to me with a receipt with a bunch of 3 cent electronics items, just to make sure something shady isn't going on (you'd be surprised what people would do to not pay the full price), I'd check the UPCs to make sure they're the same as the items and scan the item as a double measure. If I were to scan one of them, the scanner would come up as 3 cents too. In this case I would let them go.

Now I already went through something similar as I mentioned a few months ago. I tried buying Other M for 3 cents and the lady working the self checkout which was a CSM wouldn't let the 3 cents go and kept wanting to charge me $15 for an 8 year old game. Her logic being that the scanner was wrong and it was actually the higher price. It's like the thought that the label was wrong and the scanner was right never occurred to her.

What makes you need to check receipts? Does the alarm go off? I don't get checked in my four-college hometown, nor do they check at any of the other stores I've been to in my state.

What makes you need to check receipts? Does the alarm go off? I don't get checked in my four-college hometown, nor do they check at any of the other stores I've been to in my state.
Who knows. I feel like I get checked quite a bit, and I look relatively normal compared to most the sketchy af looking people (who incidentally don't get checked).

I would like to see what they do if I just walked out (probably abolsolutely nothing, I'm sure).

Receipts are only to be checked on items that aren't in bags. So you have a cart with groceries that are bagged but not a vacuum. They would check the receipt for the vacuum.

Some stores may "randomly" check receipts for bagged items but it isn't policy to do so.

Mind you, you can just walk pass these people. Unless you stole something, they can't hold you up.

Good lookin out. Brickseek listed the price at $5 at a nearby store. I went to that location and requested two copies and to my surprise the game rang up for $0.54 each. The employee was shocked. I'd say the game is worth 54 cents right? I'm glad I requested two copies before checking the price.
inb4 someone asks if you'll sell them one for $1

With the content they've added into the game I would say it's worth it even at $20, no stores in my area marked down unfortunately

Good lookin out. Brickseek listed the price at $5 at a nearby store. I went to that location and requested two copies and to my surprise the game rang up for $0.54 each. The employee was shocked. I'd say the game is worth 54 cents right? I'm glad I requested two copies before checking the price.
Damn congrats. Lowest I'm seeing is $15. Otherwise its $20 everywhere. I'd bite at $10. I'm all spent out after the Target glitch lol.

Some stores don't check receipts, some do. It depends on the city and how much that particular store experiences theft. Officially we're supposed to ask people if they'd like us to check their receipt, if they refuse we let them go on their way. If a customer goes out and the alarm goes off, we check them. Unofficially, we check almost everybody because the rate of theft is just that high. We're trained to check receipts when people are walking out with high priced items like TVs (tvs get stolen fairly often or at least are attempted to be stolen fairly often) and items that are stolen almost on the regular like sodas and packs of water. What we check on the receipts are the date (you'd be surprised how often we get people trying to buy the exact same items they bought days before with the old receipt), the time (same thing but same day), the place, high priced items, irregularities (like the lady who bought cherries for 12 cents or a video game for 3 cents). At least once a day we get someone who just "forgot" to scan that watermelon or that soda in the self-checkout lane. Full blown shoplifting occurs when they know we don't have to check their receipts and the just blow past us with a laptop or some other electronic. I had a guy who wouldn't let me see his receipt "I don't have to show you my receipt!" and I could see a spider wrap dangling from his cart and I'm just like "are you fucking for real dude?" The very slick however come to us with items in their cart and they go "Oh, I'm returning these items". I do the whole process and then they go "Oh there's a long line I don't want to wait, I'll come back tomorrow". I go check Customer Service and notice there's no line at all and that that person just stole all those items and I didn't notice. People get indignant and offended when we check receipts. Everyday you get that one person who's just in such a hurry, their lives are just THAT important that they can't afford to stop for 5 seconds for me to check their receipt before getting yelled at for wasting their time. If people would just work for walmart for at least a week they'd know why we do what we do. It's not because we're out to offend you or because we're racists (like some customers end up calling me), but because if theft wasn't that big of a deal, then my colleagues and I wouldn't have been hired in the first place. Also unofficially since we try to check receipts as best we can we end up catching that the customer was overcharged in some way. Customers don't realize this and just assume that we assume they're stealing.

If you're yelling at me that I'm a racist and acting like a complete asshole I'll just tell you "have a good day" and not mention the fact that you just got charged twice for something you bought.

Receipts are only to be checked on items that aren't in bags. So you have a cart with groceries that are bagged but not a vacuum. They would check the receipt for the vacuum.

Some stores may "randomly" check receipts for bagged items but it isn't policy to do so.

Mind you, you can just walk pass these people. Unless you stole something, they can't hold you up.
Where I live, all bags in retail stores have to be purchased, doesn't matter if paper or plastic. So customers mostly come in with their own tote bags to put stuff in and leave with or just walk out with no bags at all or cart full of uncaged items. Not sure how they decide to check receipts or not here. Seems its rarely done ever here. I think if they check then you're clearly suspicious in some way

Some stores don't check receipts, some do. It depends on the city and how much that particular store experiences theft. Officially we're supposed to ask people if they'd like us to check their receipt, if they refuse we let them go on their way. If a customer goes out and the alarm goes off, we check them. Unofficially, we check almost everybody because the rate of theft is just that high. We're trained to check receipts when people are walking out with high priced items like TVs (tvs get stolen fairly often or at least are attempted to be stolen fairly often) and items that are stolen almost on the regular like sodas and packs of water. What we check on the receipts are the date (you'd be surprised how often we get people trying to buy the exact same items they bought days before with the old receipt), the time (same thing but same day), the place, high priced items, irregularities (like the lady who bought cherries for 12 cents or a video game for 3 cents). At least once a day we get someone who just "forgot" to scan that watermelon or that soda in the self-checkout lane. Full blown shoplifting occurs when they know we don't have to check their receipts and the just blow past us with a laptop or some other electronic. I had a guy who wouldn't let me see his receipt "I don't have to show you my receipt!" and I could see a spider wrap dangling from his cart and I'm just like "are you fucking for real dude?" The very slick however come to us with items in their cart and they go "Oh, I'm returning these items". I do the whole process and then they go "Oh there's a long line I don't want to wait, I'll come back tomorrow". I go check Customer Service and notice there's no line at all and that that person just stole all those items and I didn't notice. People get indignant and offended when we check receipts. Everyday you get that one person who's just in such a hurry, their lives are just THAT important that they can't afford to stop for 5 seconds for me to check their receipt before getting yelled at for wasting their time. If people would just work for walmart for at least a week they'd know why we do what we do. It's not because we're out to offend you or because we're racists (like some customers end up calling me), but because if theft wasn't that big of a deal, then my colleagues and I wouldn't have been hired in the first place. Also unofficially since we try to check receipts as best we can we end up catching that the customer was overcharged in some way. Customers don't realize this and just assume that we assume they're stealing.

If you're yelling at me that I'm a racist and acting like a complete asshole I'll just tell you "have a good day" and not mention the fact that you just got charged twice for something you bought.
Excuse me if I tell you that you sound exactly like the kind of Walmart employee who will bend over backwards to prevent customers from getting a good deal (like the lady who bought cherries for 12 cents) but will go on a 2-hour smoke break when someone needs help finding an item, especially a cheap, possibly mispriced item. I hope the lady with the cherries read you the riot act before leaving the store before you could bolt for your butt bud- I mean your manager to (in)correct the price. Please do your city and its people a service and quit your job.

Excuse me if I tell you that you sound exactly like the kind of Walmart employee who will bend over backwards to prevent customers from getting a good deal (like the lady who bought cherries for 12 cents) but will go on a 2-hour smoke break when someone needs help finding an item, especially a cheap, possibly mispriced item. I hope the lady with the cherries read you the riot act before leaving the store before you could bolt for your butt bud- I mean your manager to (in)correct the price. Please do your city and its people a service and quit your job.
There are definitely a lot of people buying these mispriced items that don't 'need' them though, I would think people who have cash and good jobs probably have more time to sit around and stalk these deals to flip than joe blow who makes ends meat tbh

I don't know, sounds like he is just doing his job.

And if you're honest, and not some kind of crook or thief, then you should have no problem showing your receipt to the people at the door who check them.

Thanks for the breakdown, though I'll pass on working at Walmart. Seems like a stagnant and demoralizing place. Plus, I make $34 an hour salaried.

What do you do?
Remote IT work. I used to get paid about $80k as a contracted IT consultant in Boston, but I moved and got a salary job with another firm. Spent too many years getting yelled at by rich, fat people in board rooms to entertain the idea of poor, fat people yelling at me as a side job. :speaktothehand:

Instead of asking people to post the bs link (as I've seen you do many times here and in the target clearance thread), how about looking up the item by keyword on bs.
how about users on this forum stop being pieces of shit and just post the BS link when they post a deal

You feel better now?

219.gif

I don't know, sounds like he is just doing his job.

And if you're honest, and not some kind of crook or thief, then you should have no problem showing your receipt to the people at the door who check them.
Not True, no to bicker but thats like saying its ok for cops to search you if you have nothing to hide.
I rather pay for what I have and be left alone. if you suspect me of a crime feel free to stop me I.E. I beep going out the door.
otherwise leave me alone.

Some basic reading finds...

I work as a receipt checker. To be completely fair, unless I'm told otherwise, I'd just let people buy the stuff that's 2 or 3 cents from electronics and is meant to be returned to the warehouse...

I can't say what my colleagues would do, but in the event that an individual came to me with a receipt with a bunch of 3 cent electronics items, just to make sure something shady isn't going on (you'd be surprised what people would do to not pay the full price), I'd check the UPCs to make sure they're the same as the items and scan the item as a double measure. If I were to scan one of them, the scanner would come up as 3 cents too. In this case I would let them go.
Honestly, Yu, you sound like the exact kind of customer I would go out of my way to screw over when I worked in retail because you sound like a douchebag.

Some basic reading finds...

Honestly, Yu, you sound like the exact kind of customer I would go out of my way to screw over when I worked in retail because you sound like a douchebag.
So, he was basically doing his job in those instances instead of acting like a Jr. Detective. Am I supposed to thank him for that? Doing his job?

Guy, you work retail. You're a peon. I could have every single grunt in every single store in the entire country fuck with me every single day and at the end of the day I know that that peon is most likely some drug-addicted highschool dropout who is going to be homeless when his or her parents get sick of their shit and throw their asses out. Meanwhile, I'm an accountant! A difficult line of work, to be sure, but those extra zeros in my paycheck sure are fun to look at! So enjoy living in your parents' basement while you can because it won't last long.

Please delete or moderate this Yu dude's posts . First off, it's a personal attack. Secondly, when someone 'graduates' from working retail (not that you need to to make a living) and goes on to better things, they dont come to a game forum to shit talk people who still do. It just comes across as pathetic when you realize youre losing the argument

bread's done
Back