Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
Literally will get diabetes from all these candy bar clearances. Best leave these alone unless you want to handout or sell all these candies as you drive for uber/lyft
Exactly, I get that this is a video game forum, so nutrition isn’t the best here, but good god I’ve avoided shitty candy for at least 8 years now. That stuff tastes so fake and terrible anyways. The only iffy candy that I eat every now and then is sour patch. Those are so damn good .

On another note, my Walmart has now dedicated an entire isle to clearance, finally. It’s mostly crap but there’s always a few random good deals.

Exactly, I get that this is a video game forum, so nutrition isn’t the best here, but good god I’ve avoided shitty candy for at least 8 years now. That stuff tastes so fake and terrible anyways. The only iffy candy that I eat every now and then is sour patch. Those are so damn good .

On another note, my Walmart has now dedicated an entire isle to clearance, finally. It’s mostly crap but there’s always a few random good deals.
A small island of clearance? Damn, that is impressive.

Literally will get diabetes from all these candy bar clearances. Best leave these alone unless you want to handout or sell all these candies as you drive for uber/lyft
I drive for Uber and Lyft and I can tell you are just wasting money. Someone that was already going to tip you was already going to tip you. Giving them candies and tissues isn't going to get you tips or higher tips, Just wasting your money. Uber wants me to take a class so I quit them.

I have seen similar reports from others in the A1Up Facebook group and Reddit. Likely damaged at factory in China. Should be able to get a replacement from them anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. They do sell replacement screens, but they charge $150 for them.

They may request you to send back the damaged parts. Some people get that from customer service, but it has varied.
Thanks for the info. I'll call in the morning and see what resolution they come up with.

A small island of clearance? Damn, that is impressive.
unfortunately, when they give a whole aisle or section to clearance, it just starts to stagnate. Out of sight, out of mind, so they dont have the incentive to lower the prices to clear shelf space. i swear there are 2 year old clearance items at my local store.

unfortunately, when they give a whole aisle or section to clearance, it just starts to stagnate. Out of sight, out of mind, so they dont have the incentive to lower the prices to clear shelf space. i swear there are 2 year old clearance items at my local store.
Granted that also happens even in main isles. Many of us can report ps2 games and such in game sections that aren't clearance isles/bins that are still 20$ or more.

I have seen similar reports from others in the A1Up Facebook group and Reddit. Likely damaged at factory in China. Should be able to get a replacement from them anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. They do sell replacement screens, but they charge $150 for them.

They may request you to send back the damaged parts. Some people get that from customer service, but it has varied.
Called them this morning. They are going to send a new screen cover to replace the scratched one, as well as a free plastic overlay for the control deck. Waited about 15 mins to get to a rep, and she was very polite and helpful. So far I am impressed with their customer service. Just have to send them pics of the receipt and the damaged screen.

All of the "Walmart clearance aisles" I have seen have been crap.  The prices are laughable for clearance items, the items don't ever seem to leave once they arrive there, and I don't think they ever drop prices further once they hit that aisle.

Funny enough, the aisle used to get a ton of foot traffic.  You barely could ever find that the aisle was empty.

However, I think people finally caught on to how terrible the deals are, and now, I almost never see anyone venture in.

made worse by walmarts taking away price checkers.
There is still one in my store, one, haha. It’s in the toy isle hidden behind a pole. I hope it lasts.

Honestly though, if there’s no way to check the prices at your store, just bring everything you want to check and just say “nah I don’t want that” at checkout if the price sucks. It’s not your fault you can’t check beforehand. Or go to self checkout and scan everything and then just walk back into the store with it all putting away what you don’t want.

made worse by walmarts taking away price checkers.
I use the walmart app. When used in store it'll identify the store and the price check feature should pull prices from that specific store. I was bothered by my store eliminating pretty much all of the price checkers, but the app for me has been very accurate.

I use the walmart app. When used in store it'll identify the store and the price check feature should pull prices from that specific store. I was bothered by my store eliminating pretty much all of the price checkers, but the app for me has been very accurate.
Yeah, the app is great. And you don't have to hear that obnoxious BEEEEP anytime you wanna price check something.

Sometimes, managers not caring has its benefits.[attachment=32280:78436D43-1EE7-4AEB-847F-8FD455120368.jpeg]

Good luck finding one, but standalone Xbox One X console down to $225 at some WM's. I found one WM in my area that carries it, about 16 miles away, and it says "limited stock" on Brickseek. That usually means, no go.

BTW, I bought one of these standalone One X's at a WM a few weeks ago when it was $350 and it had very obviously been opened before. Returned it the next day. 

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=276629190

BTW, I bought one of these standalone One X's at a WM a few weeks ago when it was $350 and it had very obviously been opened before. Returned it the next day.

Target. I bought 2 3DS systems and a PS4 Pro. All were opened, used, and returned. 2 of them didn’t looked like it (but we’re still returned- so that’s a no no on target’s part) and the PS4 looked like it was opened. Never again.

Good luck finding one, but standalone Xbox One X console down to $225 at some WM's. I found one WM in my area that carries it, about 16 miles away, and it says "limited stock" on Brickseek. That usually means, no go.

On brickseek it says that my store has 54 in stock at $349.99. That must be a mistake. I guess they are holding a pallet of Xboxes in the back.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=659445919

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate - Water and Dust Resistant Backlit Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Razer Green Switches (Tactile & Clicky)

$54 everywhere around me. Normally $109.99.
Manged to snag one of each of these at a couple of Wal-marts on the opposite side of the metro yesterday! Thanks for sharing!

Keyboard was $11 and headphones were $25 (last clearance sticker on them said $40).

Target. I bought 2 3DS systems and a PS4 Pro. All were opened, used, and returned. 2 of them didn’t looked like it (but we’re still returned- so that’s a no no on target’s part) and the PS4 looked like it was opened. Never again.
Yeah, I don't mind Target and Walmart for game purchases but never again for consoles. I have read one guy infamously had an actual *brick* inside his console box when he got home and some people have reported wrong items being in the boxes.

When I returned the Xbox One X to Walmart, they didn't even look in the box to see everything was there. I asked them, "don't you want to just verify it's all been returned?" and the woman said, "that's ok...we trust you" (I'd never seen her before in my life). So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is very little quality control as to what goes on the shelves.

On brickseek it says that my store has 54 in stock at $349.99. That must be a mistake. I guess they are holding a pallet of Xboxes in the back.
Yeah, there's one near me that shows quantity of 16 One X's at $349. Weird.

Yeah, I don't mind Target and Walmart for game purchases but never again for consoles. I have read one guy infamously had an actual *brick* inside his console box when he got home and some people have reported wrong items being in the boxes.

When I returned the Xbox One X to Walmart, they didn't even look in the box to see everything was there. I asked them, "don't you want to just verify it's all been returned?" and the woman said, "that's ok...we trust you" (I'd never seen her before in my life). So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is very little quality control as to what goes on the shelves.

Yeah, there's one near me that shows quantity of 16 One X's at $349. Weird.
This is why any console or big electronics purchase I make I open right there at the register after I pay- before leaving the store.

This is why any console or big electronics purchase I make I open right there at the register after I pay- before leaving the store.
That's a really good idea...might start doing that from now on. I don't think I've ever had a used item in place of a new at a place like Best Buy, but definitely at Target and Walmart. Happened at Gamestop to me as well a few years ago.

If you do a little sleuthing, you can find that he's re-sold some of the clearance items, along with other things, on eBay. I personally don't care, do what you want to do. Go capitalism. Myself and others have probably done the same.

Since this is a deal thread, post deals and leave it at that. No need to get upset or get personal.
That I have no doubt.

Been outta the loop for a while, but my Wal-Mart has the Sony XB20 for $11, and the Sony XB31 for $25. I know the XB31 is the better choice, but since I already own one XB20, I can link them both together for a stereo sound. Compared to the XB31, Which would just mirror the audio. Which would be the better option? I'm leaning towards the XB20, Since you can't pass up $11 lol. But if the XB31 is truly much better, I'd would go that route.

Been outta the loop for a while, but my Wal-Mart has the Sony XB20 for $11, and the Sony XB31 for $25. I know the XB31 is the better choice, but since I already own one XB20, I can link them both together for a stereo sound. Compared to the XB31, Which would just mirror the audio. Which would be the better option? I'm leaning towards the XB20, Since you can't pass up $11 lol. But if the XB31 is truly much better, I'd would go that route.
Why not get both? I bought 2x XB10 and 2x XB31 so I can link them all together for surround sound lol. I have them placed in every corner of my living room. The XB31 on the back left and right and XB10 on the front left and right.

Why not get both? I bought 2x XB10 and 2x XB31 so I can link them all together for surround sound lol. I have them placed in every corner of my living room. The XB31 on the back left and right and XB10 on the front left and right.
Honestly I would, but it's just would take up space. Plus I wouldn't use them all anyway. I'm just hoping they have them. lol. If they don't have the Razer keyboard, I might just pickup one XB31 and one XB20. Depends on how I'm feeling lol.

I remember years back when my sister bought a Wii from Walmart for my niece and nephew for Christmas. They get it home and there's already accounts and Miis made to it. She takes it back, saying it's already been used and Customer Service is like "That's impossible, we check it." Obviously they don't. I think they had to go through Walmart corporate and even had to give the serial number of the unit to Nintendo and it took months to get a replacement.

I remember years back when my sister bought a Wii from Walmart for my niece and nephew for Christmas. They get it home and there's already accounts and Miis made to it. She takes it back, saying it's already been used and Customer Service is like "That's impossible, we check it." Obviously they don't. I think they had to go through Walmart corporate and even had to give the serial number of the unit to Nintendo and it took months to get a replacement.
Yeah, I bought a clearance laptop a couple months back that somehow got switched and returned to Walmart. They claimed it was impossible, but they eventually caved and refunded in the form of a gift card.

It was a laptop that was part of the Black Friday sale, so my guess is someone bought it around that time, swapped it out, and made a return during the busy holidays and customer service did not follow the process. The box didn't appear to be tampered with or anything.

The worst I had was my wife picked up a Sphero BB8 on the way home from work, and I immediately inspected it once she arrived because it was obviously a return.

The box was completely empty. Now in her defense, it was a heavy box, but there's just no way in hell Walmart should be accepting returns and not even looking in the damn box of an opened item. Walmart did accept the return, but how did they know I wasn't the one scamming them?

Got Valkyria Chronicles Remastered PS4 140344706 for $7 and it was not marked down for clearance but it scanned for $7

First store, the guy pulled up the hand scanner and looked for it (XB31). Couldn't find it, A Girl came through so I asked about the XB20, and she said hmm. No the ones on Clearance right? Nope we only have the newer XB22 or XB41. I butted in and said well it's shows you have... I got cut off by her and she said nope. We don't have it at all. Then she just stared at me until I walked away from the Electronics section. I'm assuming its there somewhere lol.

I am looking to find Arcade1up Wal-Mart clearance machines that have appeared for $75 lately. I am in the Western NY area and will drive. Has anyone seen any? (looking for Centipede)

I am looking to find Arcade1up Wal-Mart clearance machines that have appeared for $75 lately. I am in the Western NY area and will drive. Has anyone seen any? (looking for Centipede)
Check Brickseek but since these dropped to $75 2 weeks ago good luck. Im in the Albany area and went the first day they dropped. They had 3-4 Centipedes and like 8 of the Asteroids. I believe 2-3 days later they were gone.

I am also in wny and would have loved to grab one. I must have just missed the ones on Walden when they dropped. I think the store in geneseo was supposed to have some but I wasn't going to drive that far for one of them. For these machines limited stock has meant no stock in my experience

A word of warning on using Brickseek on the 1Up arcade machines, or other items for that matter -- call first before making any kind of lengthy drive. I got the last Asteroids machine from a Walmart that supposedly had several in stock. Brickseek still has several listed as available even though they have none. There are a few Walmarts around me that have listed a lot of Centipede machines in stock, but they have had none in reality for weeks now. Brickseek isn't nearly as accurate as it once was. Good luck to whoever is still on the hunt for the $75 machines. Hope you find something.

I am also in wny and would have loved to grab one. I must have just missed the ones on Walden when they dropped. I think the store in geneseo was supposed to have some but I wasn't going to drive that far for one of them. For these machines limited stock has meant no stock in my experience
I have been to Geneseo and all Rochester Wal-Marts with no luck.

For those posting on here that live in western New York, what are your thoughts on the Retro scene there? I grew up in WNY and moved away in 2010. When i come back and visit, I'm appalled by what appears to be the only Retro stores, called oogie games, which appears to cater to those who live to be ripped off and have an affinity for dirty games and torn labels. Yet, they seem to be doing well, which uttely confounds me.

The Last time I visited, the only decent sale they seemed to have was for 40% off PSP games, except their prices after discount were often still higher than ebay, and many cases were straight up damaged.

Just wanted to get second opinions on them.

For those posting on here that live in western New York, what are your thoughts on the Retro scene there? I grew up in WNY and moved away in 2010. When i come back and visit, I'm appalled by what appears to be the only Retro stores, called oogie games, which appears to cater to those who live to be ripped off and have an affinity for dirty games and torn labels. Yet, they seem to be doing well, which uttely confounds me.
The Last time I visited, the only decent sale they seemed to have was for 40% off PSP games, except their prices after discount were often still higher than ebay, and many cases were straight up damaged.
Oogie used to be better. Back in 2011,2012 and even 2013 I would go in there once a week and always find something I wanted. One week during their regular Facebook sales they had two worms armagedon for n64 cib for cart only price. They had low prices on some games that their system had not updated to more current eBay prices
I grabbed a ton of sms games cib for dirt cheap. Ys on sms was $1.99! Those were good times. I could always find good stuff on Craigslist. With the hobby taking off and people realizing what they have could be worth good money, the trade ins at oogie dried up. Their nes section used to be a whole wall and overflow. Now it's not even half a wall filled with John elway football with torn labels. No one trades in there stuff there anymore. I feel GameStop and Dave and adams and other vendors have helped with that.
I'm not too aware of the whole retro scene in wny but I have a few people I trade with. Shauntendo64 is in Buffalo. He has a pretty big Instagram following

There are too many of you CAG jerks in upstate NY! I'm in the Rochester area. I used to work in Buffalo on weekends, and I'd visit Syracuse regularly, so there was an entire swath of stores I could hit. 2008-2012 was like heaven. 

I never liked Oogie. Prices were always high and the stock was never in decent condition.

In Rochester there's Game Craze (they used to have a store in Buffalo but it didn't last). Problem with that place is there's like 4 different owners who are all in competition with each other, as well as any other place that sells games. Sometimes that works to our advantage as they'll undercut each other, but like Retroexcellence said with Oogie, trade ins have all but vanished so they're more likely to elt stuff sit and price on the high side. Like, 3 of their stores have closed in the last 6 months. 

Syracuse has a couple of places, Microgame in Clay- which has ALWAYS been overpriced, and Voltage. I really like Voltage. The prices are little higher than the ebay average, but at least you see first hand what you're buying. Last time I was in Microgame it seemed like half the inventory disappeared. Dude there said they boxed stuff up to make more room, but I don't really believe that. No one makes their store look empty. 

Oh yeah, forgot about Game Players Unlimited in Batavia/Brockport. I visited them both like two years ago. The inventory was laughable. I probably have more games kicking around in my trunk than they had in the store. However,  only two times I ever saw a Spider Man Web of Fire for 32X after it had become "rare" was in those stores, one in each and several years apart. Cart only and $4.99 and $6.99, despite being worth $80-120 in those time frames, so I'll always like them for that. 

Anyway, I still look at these threads out of habit but I've not chased a clearance item in a long time. There are too many professional resellers in the area. There were 6 of those Splatoon Switch controllers sitting in the Newark Walmart for months for $24. As soon as it was reported that they dropped to $6, they were all gone. Pretty sure a dude that works in electronics there hustles on the side. 

TL;DR: Smartphones ruined everything.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't get into game collections until 2014, transitioned over from sports cards. I'm in Charlotte, nc now and it's kind of similar, where we would have multiple stores with regular sales and decent prices, including a goodwill electronics store called the grid that would sell games at decent prices (ie Mario Kart for Snes for $15, and SMB 3 for $8,ect). Then when gamestop stayed selling older games, these places, including the grid, started jacking up thier prices and getting rid of their sales. Now i can count on two fingers the number of acceptable stores in the entire Charlotte metro area

If you ever come out to Albany we have a few pretty good ones. Pastime Legends has 3 store (Scotia, Albany & Troy). Jay St Gamers in Crossgates Mall. Forgotten Freshness in Stillwater.

bread's done
Back