Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
no FO76 in my search area....yeah okay, I know all of mine have about 50 of these laying around
fyi, its because that link takes you to the updated sku version, the ones laying around all walmarts are the initial steelbook run. then again, even the steelbook version says 0 on hand at my store at 3 cents and last weekend there were at least 2 dozen.

Found a 1200 lumen Stanley flashlight at the Walmart by my fiancée's parents. Holy hell, is that thing bright. Was 29.97, on clearance for 15.00.

814632011960, looks like.

Well to me if anything the blame falls on management and it should chew itself out for its own incompetence in its A) failure to train employees adequately B) not treating them in such a way as to make them apathetic towards their jobs, and C) literally taking years to address the $0.03 item issue with a meaningful solution. Of course that won't happen though as corporations are rife with double-standards.
No argument from me, I mentioned it last time we had 3 cent stuff happen in the thread that I just assume it's bad management.

It's not associates refusing to sell the games but rather the system/registers are refusing the sale. You're not going to get any employee to be able to override it since they are marked as recall.
Yeah I didn't have much hope for things to be different in mine but I had some stuff I needed to get there anyway. By the time I had gotten there they had already pulled anything that was marked as 3 cents from the shelves even though Brickseek said it was in stock just a handful of minutes prior.

The thing I'm wondering is if managers will have the opportunity to override the price and put back out on the floor.  I know a bunch of stores that took the last batch of 3c games and just raised them back up to $5-$20 

Also, it seems like a lot of these games only dropped to 3 cents at like 1/3 of the nearby stores and are still full price at the others.  If it was a company-wide rebate thing, you'd think it would be companywide.  

The thing I'm wondering is if managers will have the opportunity to override the price and put back out on the floor. I know a bunch of stores that took the last batch of 3c games and just raised them back up to $5-$20

Also, it seems like a lot of these games only dropped to 3 cents at like 1/3 of the nearby stores and are still full price at the others. If it was a company-wide rebate thing, you'd think it would be companywide.
The $.03 recall is so they can send them back to the vebdor and get credit back for them. They will likely make more money doing this than keeping them on the shelves to sit there until they are down to $10.

The only time that I've had luck buying a $.03 game was when I could take it to self checkout and get it paid for before they opened the security case for me. Any time they have to get them out of the electronic's case I've been shot down. Regardless, I may give it a shot anyways!

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is actually able to get through the checkout process this time.
How can you take it to self checkout before they remove it from the security case? Do you mean the cheaper games that aren't in the security case? I see Dragon Quest Builders 2 for 3 cents. I really want to try buying it. Lol

How can you take it to self checkout before they remove it from the security case? Do you mean the cheaper games that aren't in the security case?
He’s talking about the clamshell cases. Self checkout workers can remove those and spiderwrap. I’ve actually had workers tell me to buy the item before they’ll make the effort to remove the device. Guess they’ve had enough with customers changing their mind after scanning

As great as the $0.03 deals were for us CAGs, it still blows my mind that Walmart kept taking the same "honor system" approach to having the items pulled/blocked from sale. Guess they finally realized that many employees weren't going to put their asses on the line to enforce a policy that corporate themselves could have easily enforced via register restrictions like this.

Sure is the end of an era, though. Crazy to think of how valuable some of the old 3-cent games have become. Anybody who held onto their copy/copies of Rhythm Heaven Fever from the 2018 "sale" must be very happy.

As great as the $0.03 deals were for us CAGs, it still blows my mind that Walmart kept taking the same "honor system" approach to having the items pulled/blocked from sale. Guess they finally realized that many employees weren't going to put their asses on the line to enforce a policy that corporate themselves could have easily enforced via register restrictions like this.
It all depends on your state's consumer protection laws and how far you want to take it. The rules in California are extremely consumer oriented. If the item is on the floor, they must sell it for the lower of the tagged price or what it rings up as on the register. It doesn't matter that the register states "not to be sold" or whatever other wording they choose. If they're too lazy to remove it from the floor, they, the retailer pays the price.

Sure is the end of an era, though. Crazy to think of how valuable some of the old 3-cent games have become. Anybody who held onto their copy/copies of Rhythm Heaven Fever from the 2018 "sale" must be very happy.
I found a copy of that for 3 cents a few years ago, but it was one with one of those recycle symbols cut out of the back to save a few cents on packaging, the copy I found had, in addition to a fair amount of damage on the front, a good sized puncture hole on the back where it had the case carved out. Since it was at most a $15 game at the time, i just tossed it back in the bin.

It all depends on your state's consumer protection laws and how far you want to take it. The rules in California are extremely consumer oriented. If the item is on the floor, they must sell it for the lower of the tagged price or what it rings up as on the register. It doesn't matter that the register states "not to be sold" or whatever other wording they choose. If they're too lazy to remove it from the floor, they, the retailer pays the price.
The rule in CA gets murky. They are perfectly fine if it is a price mistake. So in this case, 3 cents is a price mistake and it helps that the register states not for sale. The law protects consumers when it comes to purchases, but they are refusing you to even buy it. They can refuse an item for sale for any reason regardless of the price.

The difference in CA is an advertised price. So if the price is advertised as 3 cents in the weekly ad and it's on the floor, they have to honor it. But that 3 cent price isn't advertised anywhere. It showing that price in the app doesn't count either because they can say it's a price mistake / error.

The law is tricky but CA consumers do have more leeway in this respect, but doesn't mean they are always entitled to those prices.

The thing I'm wondering is if managers will have the opportunity to override the price and put back out on the floor. I know a bunch of stores that took the last batch of 3c games and just raised them back up to $5-$20

Also, it seems like a lot of these games only dropped to 3 cents at like 1/3 of the nearby stores and are still full price at the others. If it was a company-wide rebate thing, you'd think it would be companywide.
They can't override the price of an item that is marked as recall/RTV (return to vendor) as the POS system won't allow the sale. In the past Walmart relied on associates knowing that a game or any item priced at $.03 is an item that needs to pulled from the floor and sent back to claims. That apparently didn't go over well at quite a few stores so corporate finally implemented a process to ensure proper action is taken on these items.

How can you take it to self checkout before they remove it from the security case? Do you mean the cheaper games that aren't in the security case? I see Dragon Quest Builders 2 for 3 cents. I really want to try buying it. Lol
You're going to have zero luck with that. It's a POS sales restriction that can't be overridden.

I got an email about my Far Cry 6 Gold edition pre order that the price went down $.08 cents lol. They still haven't figured out the mistake. Anyone else get the email?
Got that too. Worried though because if you click on the product link, it links back to the standard edition. Pretty sure Walmart will ship the standard and then it’s going to be a big hassle trying to convince them that we ordered the Gold edition even though the product name is incorrect.

Got that too. Worried though because if you click on the product link, it links back to the standard edition. Pretty sure Walmart will ship the standard and then it’s going to be a big hassle trying to convince them that we ordered the Gold edition even though the product name is incorrect.
I have screen shots from the email and my order page that clearly shows it reads as the Gold Edition.

I have screen shots from the email and my order page that clearly shows it reads as the Gold Edition.
I have the same, but the item they’ll most likely send is the standard version. And unfortunately this is Walmart customer support, not Amazon, Target or Best Buy ... which means you won’t be able to just take it into the store and make your case, and the online representative may be equally challenging to deal with depending on our luck. Should be interesting, but I’m expecting I’ll just end up returning a standard copy after a failed attempt at the upgrade.

He’s talking about the clamshell cases. Self checkout workers can remove those and spiderwrap. I’ve actually had workers tell me to buy the item before they’ll make the effort to remove the device. Guess they’ve had enough with customers changing their mind after scanning
My favorite is when they're flabbergasted the thing won't scan the barcode through the plastic. Getting them to realize they might have to open it first is like trying to awaken a golem.

I had to swing by Walmart yesterday after work to grab a couple of things for the house and look for a cooler my wife had seen online and liked. Brickseek was incorrect on inventory, as usual for me, listing multiple 3¢ games supposedly in stock with 6+ copies but nowhere to be found on the shelves or in the back (I happened to speak to the electronics manager at the checkout bench). Oh, and they sold the last cooler 15 minutes before I got there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Astral Chain is apparently showing up as $.03. RIP deals
Still $49.99 at all the stores around here. If they start dropping recently shelf-space orphaned games like ARMS straight to .03 cents, that bodes pretty poorly for the future of any Clearance deals on games. I'm hoping it's not a coincidence that every game that has been put on recall this week has been a third party, lower tier game.

I'm looking at the Untitled goose game for switch. That came out on 09/29/2020. Less than a year. The only other thing I can think of Walmart doing besides sending them back, is sending them to a store that sells before that store puts in on "clearance" forever like $9 Garbage tier Wii at certain stores. 

I never saw titles go to .03 around me before, but now there are a ton.  Is it the end of regular clearance discounts on games?

Saw PS4 Ni No Kuni Remaster for $15, asked to buy it. It must have really been $.03 because when the associate scanned it he said he couldn't sell it. :(

Went to another store and I'm seconds too late

bKyphTa.jpg

The saddest part is that those copies of Race With Ryan in the case are the games that should be dumped into a cardboard box and forgotten in a Walmart back room.  :shock:

No luck at the Walmart in Duarte, CA: the electronics rep was very nice to me, but the system rang up Fallout 76 and Bendy and the Ink Machine as “do not sell” items, so she couldn’t complete the transaction. I did get Dreams, Streets of Rage 4 and Street Fighter V Champion Edition since I was already there.

IATCG must be getting pretty lonely because he's sending me private messages on new accts complaining about other peoples issues with finding 3c games and how CA state law works (I'm in Florida...) lol.  

Lucky! Gone is his harassment from the days of the penny guides. Although he sent his propaganda a few years after the boom of it just to let us know he's still around. A few of my locals had most of the games but alas a no go here as well.

IATCG must be getting pretty lonely because he's sending me private messages on new accts complaining about other peoples issues with finding 3c games and how CA state law works (I'm in Florida...) lol.
Wow, it had been awhile since I had received any messages from him. I thought he may have finally let the penny guide thing go. But he never will

bread's done
Back