Walmart YMMV In Store Clearance Thread I (READ THE FAQs)

ThatOneGuyWho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Changing this to a FAQs for those that need some help getting these deals.

When I order online it shows X price for in store, but changes to Y price at checkout, what gives?
You can only do in store pickup for the clearance price if the item is available for pick up that day. If it isn't the price will be the online price instead. Sometimes the item will be shipped to that store if it is no longer at that store. It may adjust to the clearance price at pickup but it could also charge you full price for it.

Can I buy the item at one store and return / rebuy at another?
Yes but it is up to the stores discretion to allow you to get it for that stores in store price. If it is an online order, they are supposed to return it to the warehouse it came from so you will not be able to buy it back. It's YMMV on employees following this rule though.

Can I price match a Walmart clearance item at X store?
No. No store, including Walmart, PMs clearance prices. YMMV on getting PMs for these items but it is against every stores policy to do so.

I want to price match this clearance item at another Walmart, will they allow me to?
No WM (or any retailer) PMs the prices of other local stores.

BS said X of an item is in stock, but the employee said it isn't at my store, why did they lie to me?
They didn't. Sometimes items are misplaced, stolen, or the count is off. Employees are not all over the massive stock room nor do they know where every item is. Don't harass an employee or come on here saying they are keeping it for themselves. Sometimes, an item truly isn't in the store.

Why is BS always wrong?
BS is not wrong. Their information is directly from WM systems. Just like all stores, inventory and prices may be wrong for a certain store. Do not rely only on BS.

How do I find clearance items?
Go to the store and scan items, check SD, check this thread. Actually look for something you want.

Where in the store are clearance games located?

Clearance items in general can be on shelves, in dedicated clearance sections or in the stock room. For games specifically, they will be in the videogame glass cases, videogame value game isle or dedicated clearance section. It's random and depends on that stores layout / management.

What is the SKU or item number of this item?
Look it up yourself. There is a search function on this site, on BS site and you can Google the item almost 100% of the time. No one needs to spoon feed you this information and we shouldn't have 20 people asking for the same information that was already posted.

Acronyms to know.
WM = Walmart
PM = Price Match
TRU = Toysrus
BS = Brickseek
SD = Slickdeals

Last edited by a moderator:
save the companies, won't someone please think of the companies.

let's give Walmart the biggest corporate tax breaks in history in 2018.  and what do they do with it???  Fire all the cashiers!  So now everyone needs to wait in line at self checkout and service themselves!  While 50 other new employees roam the store picking for online orders because the company makes more revenue that way. 

save the companies, won't someone please think of the companies.

let's give Walmart the biggest corporate tax breaks in history in 2018. and what do they do with it??? Fire all the cashiers! So now everyone needs to wait in line at self checkout and service themselves! While 50 other new employees roam the store picking for online orders because the company makes more revenue that way.
I know this is a big serving of /s...

But... since covid I've embraced the self-checkout most of the time. Even when the regular checkouts are open and empty I'll just do this myself unless I want to pay cash and there are no self-checkouts open accepting cash. Recently I switched to using the reusable bags too. It takes less time to bag stuff and they hold like 2x or so the groceries. So for my entire family it usually takes 8 of them to do everything at worst and easier to get everything in the house. I still like getting the regular bags for small trash cans and if I have to walk the dog for poop bags... but some of these changes I was so against before covid... I'm like completely cool with. Well, the roaming paid shoppers are a bit strange but the ones that work at the store I mainly go to are pretty good about staying out of the way.

I'm old and cranky, so there are two things I won't do anymore. Check myself out and show a receipt as I exit. I'm not paid to do a cashier's job and I'll not be treated like a criminal since they don't want to pay a cashier to do a cashier's job. 

I remember when McDonalds first started their rewards app and you could stack coupons. I'd end up with a quarter pounder with cheese, a 10 piece nugget, larges fries and a large coke for like 4 bucks.

In my state, everybody voted for $15 minimum wage. No wonder everything has just about doubled in price at restaurants and everywhere else.
You in CT too?

I’ve got a delusional flipper flipping the house across the street. He bought it for $290k, gutted it and thinks he’ll get 500k for it. I’ve lived here for almost 20 years now, this is a straight up middle class neighborhood, there aren’t any half million dollar houses. This isn’t CA.

I'm old and cranky, so there are two things I won't do anymore. Check myself out and show a receipt as I exit. I'm not paid to do a cashier's job and I'll not be treated like a criminal since they don't want to pay a cashier to do a cashier's job.
I am guessing you don't shop at the warehouse clubs since they check receipts

I'm old and cranky as well but I will check myself out every time if it skips a needless interaction with a cashier...

This is actually correct. You raise wages, companies will raise prices - because they know they will get away with it. They can use literally any excuse to blame someone else for their prices rising and people will buy it, even as profits hit record highs. As long as we're blaming each other instead of corporate/oligarch greed.
I think I just fell in love with you.

Yeah pretty much my sentiment. Plus the logistics of when a mistake happens with a cashier, it's no big deal enjoy your day. When a mistake happens in the self checkout, it's theft.

I will only use one if I only have a single thing or two & I just want to get the hell out of there asap.

I have nothing against anyone avoiding self-checkout.  That was me forever.  Same for not using a CC in stores and going cash only (which I did for a long time which made it easier to stick to the budget).  Now I'm a lot more flexible on cash or credit since I'm just going to pay off the credit card within a couple days anyway.   In a few years I'll have my house paid off and be debt free (and about 20 years early).

Going to spoil mark this as I'm getting in the weeds here on my shopping efficiency techniques:
Growing up, our main local grocery store had bagging stations and you bagged your own groceries (late 1970's through the early 90s).  So kind of like how Aldi is now, except you didn't have to buy the bags like you do there.  So from an early age I knew what to bag with what.   I worked in a grocery store while in college and occasionally had to bag groceries.  I've shopped at Aldi and some of the other modern bulk stores where you bag after standing in line to get checked out.  So I have put maybe a bit too much thought into it, but am hella efficient. 

My buggy is arranged as I put things in it with fridge, frozen, boxes, cans, and so on in separate groups.  I pull an item from the buggy straight to the scanner and then into a bag.  No middle man belt to deal with.  I was big on using their bags but having my own as of the last month which means less bags to handle and stuff doesn't come out of them in the trunk (or rip the side).  Pretty much two bags covers all the cold items (or 3 if I'm buying extra milk).  We don't drink softdrinks or buy much junk food so it's more meal items rather than bulky junk.  Not saying we have no junk food items... but it's maybe five items total max.   My kids are in college and live at home ... so no baby stuff, little kid meal packs, juice boxes, or other random things.  It's one buggy that is maybe half full once a week unless I need to buy cat food, dog food, tp, or something else bulky.  Bulk items I scan last and don't remove from the buggy so on the way out I have my receipt in hand and can just point to the bottom of the list if I'm questioned... but after shopping at the same store for over a decade the greeters have seen me enough and I've given them eye contact and enough friendly hello's they usually don't bother checking ... but I'm still prepared for them because it's part of their job and even if I've done things right a thousand+ times... I'm not hiding/stealing anything so I don't fear them looking.  I've never had an issue.

I'm old and cranky as well but I will check myself out every time if it skips a needless interaction with a cashier...
You guys are both old and cranky but do you work with fuck ing children while you complain eating a muffin?

At the risk of giving everyone who reads the Walmart clearance thread yet another opportunity to take jabs at me, I wanted to mention that I returned the copy of Wreckfest this morning.  And when I tried to re-buy it at the clearance price, it still rang up at the higher price.

The woman who helped me in electronics had to manually override the game to $9 instead of $19.93, but she said that none of the games that were on clearance at that location were ringing up for the clearance prices that were marked on their shelf tags. 

I don't know if this is a regular occurrence at Walmart, but I figured that I would warn my fellow CAGs.

Good day. 

At the risk of giving everyone who reads the Walmart clearance thread yet another opportunity to take jabs at me, I wanted to mention that I returned the copy of Wreckfest this morning. And when I tried to re-buy it at the clearance price, it still rang up at the higher price.

The woman who helped me in electronics had to manually override the game to $9 instead of $19.93, but she said that none of the games that were on clearance at that location were ringing up for the clearance prices that were marked on their shelf tags.

I don't know if this is a regular occurrence at Walmart, but I figured that I would warn my fellow CAGs.

Good day.
It happens at lot some stores around me. A game will go on clearance and then a price drop will happen at all stores and override the clearance price.

After 4 weeks not going to my best walmart its not as dead as it was. Still meh, also apparently all the cyberpunk are gone. There's no SF6 in the glass case for some reason that store isn't selling it like how wo long was so that's tells me a sign that SF6 will show up with a discount like wo long in a couple 20% chance

After 4 weeks not going to my best walmart its not as dead as it was. Still meh, also apparently all the cyberpunk are gone. There's no SF6 in the glass case for some reason that store isn't selling it like how wo long was so that's tells me a sign that SF6 will show up with a discount like wo long in a couple 20% chance

This picture is hard to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Walmart I went to that’s far away had a bunch of games but stacked in a way that u can’t even see the prices lol. Didn’t bother to “bother” employees to check prices. I saw a bunch of FF7 Intergrade ps5

What item specifically doubled in price at restaurants and what state? Prices will go up with higher wages, though they were up before wages went up either way, but double in price doesn't sound right.
Florida. Using the example of fast food, combos that were about $6 are about $10-11. Not quite double but makes eating fast food for my family kinda not worth it. My son wanted BK Spiderverse whopper yesterday and it cost me almost $30 for two regular sized meals and an extra chicken sandwich. I use to get that chicken sandwich for $2.50 all the time on sale before.

Burger King really cut back on the offers and discounts. I used to get the $3 Double Cheeseburger meal with a coupon. Now that same meal is $5.50 with a coupon.

I can go to Wendy’s and by placing multiple orders with the app coupons get a much better deal. They had any soft drink for free with a purchase and a junior bacon cheeseburger for a cent with any purchase. For under $3 with tax I got a drink, value fries, junior bacon cheeseburger and a junior Frosty.

I see examples at Walmart of prices doubling. A box of Walmart brand graham crackers was $0.88 2 years ago, it’s now $1.98. Same with their pretzels, a 16 oz bag was in the 80 cents range, now it’s around $2.

I see examples at Walmart of prices doubling. A box of Walmart brand graham crackers was $0.88 2 years ago, it’s now $1.98. Same with their pretzels, a 16 oz bag was in the 80 cents range, now it’s around $2.
Same with their various great value tortilla chips. They were like a buck now they are two. I still buy the Cantina Style ones for my mexican meal nights... but I don't buy extra bags as snacks for the family anymore. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure the amount in the bag hasn't changed downward with the price increase. Others have managed to keep a fairly minimal price increase by shrinking how much is in the bag.

Anyone bought meat from Wal-Mart from deals on brickseek? Should they be avoided
It's just meat that's on clearance. If you avoid food on clearance cool, but often it's not even close to the date it's just inventory they are trying to get rid of. Check the date, like you should always do with food anyway.

I'm still eating Walmart clearance jerky...

It's just meat that's on clearance. If you avoid food on clearance cool, but often it's not even close to the date it's just inventory they are trying to get rid of. Check the date, like you should always do with food anyway.

I'm still eating Walmart clearance jerky...
You ain't the only one lol

Anyone bought meat from Wal-Mart from deals on brickseek? Should they be avoided
I've only ever bought reduced meat from the fresh/frozen sections of the store. It has to look good (not discolored), have a date I can still work with to fit it in a meal, and it has to be something I legit want. I'm not buying chicken livers because they are reduced. But italian sausage or not discolored burger or pork chops (if I haven't had them in a while).. yeah... I'll grab it. I don't like having a packed freezer or fridge. Just the meals for the week and maybe a backup couple of meals. I'd rather pay full price and have a wide variety of food for my family every month than have to keep digging through stuff I stocked up on when it was reduced.

Having worked retail before the only reason I bother showing my receipt is because I've been on the other side and know some AP managers crack down when you let people get away without getting their receipt checked. Not being inconvenienced for a few seconds isn't worth someone's job no matter how absurd or pointless it is. Before COVID they even used to have quotas for the receipt checkers using a special app on scanners that would tally up how many receipts they scanned in a shift and you'd get written up if you didn't make quota or didn't scan items ontop of scanning the fucking receipt.

there are videos of HUGE parasites in the walmart salmon, so it will be in every meat
Salmon is known to have worms though. You can even find them in Costco and Whole Foods salmon. They are anasikid nematodes. You just cook it throughly. Those worms would not be in meat.

Florida. Using the example of fast food, combos that were about $6 are about $10-11. Not quite double but makes eating fast food for my family kinda not worth it. My son wanted BK Spiderverse whopper yesterday and it cost me almost $30 for two regular sized meals and an extra chicken sandwich. I use to get that chicken sandwich for $2.50 all the time on sale before.
Used to be $6 when cause I regularly go to Florida and prices have been creeping up on combos there at the same right as other states. Combos in GA, where the minimum wage is stil $7.25, is the same price now, at $9-$12 for combos.

The last time I saw a $5 -$6 combo was maybe 5 years ago but those combos were smalls with limited selections. Today, around $10 is the average pric across the country even in states where the minimum wage is still just the federal minimum.

Still pretty sure all my problems are the poors conspiring against me with their lack of personal responsibility please don't ruin my fantasy

Not game but maybe game related, those store-brand onn gaming mouses are now down to $3. And if your store is anything like mine, they still probably have like 40 of them.  Also, if your store has had any of those GE 4-device AV switches, they maybe be down to $3 as well.  Mine have had a few sitting at $10 for a while (and at another store for even longer), I already had one from before but got one more just in case.

Actually bought so discounted frozen meat today. 2.5 lb bags of Perdue chicken tenders. Normally $12, down to $5. Figure ill give it a shot at that price.
Also found some ssds in the clearance section by the phones. Forgot walmart even sells em.
[attachment=37961:20230607_112334.jpg]

Having worked retail before the only reason I bother showing my receipt is because I've been on the other side and know some AP managers crack down when you let people get away without getting their receipt checked. Not being inconvenienced for a few seconds isn't worth someone's job no matter how absurd or pointless it is. Before COVID they even used to have quotas for the receipt checkers using a special app on scanners that would tally up how many receipts they scanned in a shift and you'd get written up if you didn't make quota or didn't scan items ontop of scanning the fucking receipt.
Sorry, but no. I used to work retail too and as much as I can appreciate the trial and tribulations thereto, an individual's job status being affected by an arguably unethical practice that has no lawful basis does not and should not ever justify A) an objectionable invasion of privacy or B) being made to feel like you are being treated like a criminal instead of a valued customer.

The onn gaming mouse is legit. I've been using mine for around 3 months now and have had no issues. So far it's lasted longer than the razer mouse that was on clearance pre-covid that barely lasted a month before it putzed.

In my state, everybody voted for $15 minimum wage. No wonder everything has just about doubled in price at restaurants and everywhere else.
No justifiable reason for prices to increase when minimum wage is still poverty wages. The reason is obscene corporate profit margins.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Believe it or not some people value their time
I don't know about other stores, but mine here only check the receipt on non-bagged items (typically bulk items). It takes a couple seconds if you either have them scanned first or last since then the greeter/checker doesn't have to hunt the receipt for the items. Most of the time if I'm holding my receipt where they can see it they say "have a nice day" and don't bother checking.

Thankfully we've not had random checks, quotas, or anything like that in my stores. If it's in a walmart bag you are good unless the alarm goes off as you pass by the sensors.

In a time where people are literally filling their carts with stuff and walking straight out the door with them, and no one does anything about it you’re going to stop me when I have bread and bananas in one hand and a receipt clearly in the other and am coming from the checkout area?

I work retail too, that’s why I don’t give the person just doing what they were told a hard time or attitude. If confronted (hardly ever) I smile, wave my receipt in the air, and thank them for their service. And keep on walking.

I’m old, kids are grown and on their own. I don’t need the bulk that places like Sam’s Club/BJ’s/Costco deal in.

Sam's club is fine to check a receipt. I pay a membership. Walmart I don't. I don't give anyone a hard time just a no thanks and walk away.

If I'm in a Walmart it's due to time. I will 9/10 times go to target.

But anyway let's not derail the topic. I have not found deals in any big box stores. Walmart for some reason most of the games no longer have price tags. Out of say 60 switch games 25 have a price tag.

isn't more time being wasted 'debating' the merit of checking receipts  on this forum vs. just doing it and moving on With your day? Probably the individual feels empowered I doubt its enforced across all stores... Walmart is a cesspool anyways, we all know we just go there for the wild unpredictable experience and the ymmv deals / low prices and thats about it. 

bread's done
Back