Walmart's pricing on old games is crazy

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
We have all heard or seen some of the horrible pricing on some games at Walmart. Like Gamecube launch games at $49.96 or old PS1 games for $19.82. What I saw today is worse.

There was an endcap with a bunch of games on it with a sign above that said $20. I saw NBA Live 2002, NFL Street, Madden 2002, Madden 2005 for XBox, some DS and PS2 games and a few 360 games. I thought they were joking if they thought anyone was going to pay $20 for a 2002 sports game.

Just for fun I took NBA Live 2002, Madden 2002, MTV Music Generator 3, NFL Street and Tony Hawk's Motion (DS) to the price checker.

NBA Live 2002 scanned for $51.96!!! The original MSRP was $49.99 so they are asking above retail for an 8 year old sports game. Madden 2002 scanned for $19.82, a bargain compared to Live. MTV Music Generator 3 was $25, NFL Street was $14.88, Tony Hawk's Motion $32.96.

I don't even think for $2.00 most people would want most of those games XBox games. I wonder how many more years those games will be there

I wouldn't be surprised that there is some Walmart in some part of the USA that has a sealed FF7 black label buried at the back of some endcap ringing up for $51.96 or whatever. :rofl:

My local walmart is just as bad some of that stuff is ridiculous its been there so long, now they remodeled and there's an end cap with ancient junk for ludicrously high prices lol.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Wal-Mart doesn't do clearance. Ever.

It sucks because they have some cool stuff sometimes.[/QUOTE]

They always do clearance, just not on video games. Mine still has Prey on the PC for $19.96.

[quote name='Oderus Urungus']They always do clearance, just not on video games. Mine still has Prey on the PC for $19.96.[/QUOTE]

They do clearance on accessories, though. My walmart has a few PS2 memory card two-packs for something like $30 on clearance (I had to laugh, because I got them for $10 at Kmart :cool:). Whats really laughable is the DS Lite headset, clearanced for $3 more than what GameStop charges for a new one.

This same Walmart has copies of Madden 02 for PS1 for $30 and Eragon for GBA for $40. The only thing worth it was :gba: Final Fantasy V at $30, but the box was too beat up to be a collectors item.

Walmart definitely clears out video games sometimes, but it's all very YMMV. I know the stores near me never, ever, ever, ever, ever have anything on clearance. Ever. Ever. But plenty of people report some good stuff in the "Walmart Finds" thread.

I went to a walmart with a god awful bin of sale games. So I am digging in this and it's as deep as I am tall and finding random games that might be worth it. I notice the prices aren't that impressive but since they have poured a ton of games into the bin of madness I assume maybe there's some sort of discount or deal or something. I guess they just like to mistreat the product because they were priced as marked. I didn't really feel too bad about the sports games at the bottom...they have so many brothers but the poor gameboy advance DS games were getting crushed. I found some PS3 games I wanted they just weren't particular on sale.

I've not bought a game from my local Walmart in years because they almost never do any decent sales on the games themselves. Sometimes the game accessories will get clearanced though. I've found better brick and mortar deals from Target, the now defunct Circuit City, and even TRU. Seriously though, most of my real good deals have been from online sales lately.

The only time I saw a clearance at my Walmart is many years back when they had stacks and stacks of GBC games for $10 each. I cleaned up on rarities such as Harvest Moon 1, 2 and 3 which they had tons of. At a VERY out of the way but busy Walmart I ended up finding a couple strategy guides like the Mario Paint guide for the Super NES and a Gameboy camera guide. I think I paid like a buck or 50 cents for each guide but this was probably about 5-7 years ago. I think I also picked up a box NES advantage joystick from them for 5$ again, many years ago.

Now that a super walmart has opened up I seriously doubt I will be seeing any clearance in the games dept. any time soon as the Walmart just opened up. I have visited the super walmart but I buy hardly anything outside of food and toiletry essentials because they don't clearance anything else. Clearances is where you get the best deals.

My local Walmart has red clearance tags for some items. I don't think they understand the clearance thing though. "Wow, Folklore is on clearance for $59.99!" -_-

One Wal-Mart had Eternal Darkness on clearance for $4.96. I picked one up then decided to go back a few days later and they raised the price to $49.96. Who raises prices on clearance games that don't sell for $5?!?!

Over here they have old ps2 greatest hits titles from $19.96 all the way up to $49.96. Mostly cheapo stuff like DBZ budokai, jak and daxter, MLB triple play 2002, sonic mega collection.

I work at Wal-Mart (cashier) and there will occasionally be pricing errors in the system (for the poster referring to the $5 game ringing up at $50 later).

The prices at my Wal-Mart are pretty consistent. The one oddity I can recall was from a few months ago - Wave Race for GC for around $50 at the time.

all i know is that i spent $20 in walmart once for the purchase of Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner.

best $20 fucking dollars spent ever

maybe that was MSRP but... walmart has some cool stuff worth buying at certain prices... just not NBA Live 2002 in this case

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']Over here they have old ps2 greatest hits titles from $19.96 all the way up to $49.96. Mostly cheapo stuff like DBZ budokai, jak and daxter, MLB triple play 2002, sonic mega collection.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but was it DBZ Budokai 1 GH, or Budokai 3 GH?

[quote name='ffman']I work at Wal-Mart (cashier) and there will occasionally be pricing errors in the system (for the poster referring to the $5 game ringing up at $50 later).

The prices at my Wal-Mart are pretty consistent. The one oddity I can recall was from a few months ago - Wave Race for GC for around $50 at the time.[/QUOTE]

The only problem being they had been behind the glass at $49.96, then they were taken out and put on a clearance table with new $4.96 stickers on them. Then, a few days later, they were moved back behind the glass and raised in price again. Removing them from the glass and placing them on the clearance table seemed to imply the price change was not an accident.

I've found some pretty random and rare old sealed stuff at Wal-Mart for reasonable prices. For example:

The Bouncer (PS2) - $15.00 (not rare opened, but worth $60+ sealed)
Psychonauts (PS2) - $10.00
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) Black Label - $10.00
Mega Man X Collection (PS2) - $19.98
Beyond Good & Evil (GC) - $19.98

I shouldn't have, but I passed on a sealed copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for PS2. I think it was $15.00 and it would have gotten me $50+ if I resold it.

bread's done
Back