Want a BC PS3. What's the best approach?

fuerstma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
How would you go about scoring one?

I've been watching CL for months, with only 2 postings, both asking >$400. Har har.

If you wanted one, how would you get it? eBay, CL, Amazon, Gamestop?

The BC PS3s seem to be failing at slightly faster rate than others and it seems like they're not as valuable as they once were. I think eBay would be the cheapest route but pretty much any path you choose is risky. You'll likely have to bust open the system and do some clean up.

Not sure if you would consider this route, but much cheaper to buy a new ps3 & a new (or used) PS2. The hard drives are super easy to swap.

I think it would be cheaper to buy a used PS2 and a couple memory cards (they are cheap these days). If you don't have one you can get a decent sized CRT TV for less than $10 at most Salvation army's at least here. Heck you could probably get a decent one for free if you asked around. They are flooded with them. That is provided you have room for a CRT TV. You could play on a HDTV but you might not like it. This whole setup would probably cost less than a BC PS3, plus as others have mentioned these things are at the point where they are slowing failing, you might be looking at repair costs if you decide to invest in a BC PS3.

Even if you bought a PS2 and it failed, it would be cheaper to replace it.

BC is also not 100% on the PS3, if I do recall correctly.

I am betting PS3's will be really cheap on BF this year but that is a long ways away.

Keep at it, OP. You never know when you might find a really cheap PS3 on CL, even if it's not a fully BC one. There are/were several on the local CL for $130-150 here recently and that was WITH some games thrown in even.

As for me I've been trying to sell a fully BC PS3 I've had for over a year now. I always wanted one, but I never wanted to pay the $600 for one originally. I bought it from someone who was trading it into the one local shop. They bought it from another used shop that cracked it open to clean it and never put the screw back in to hold the 'lid' on(the part that says Playstation 3 on the older model systems).

So the top part of the PS3 still slides off, but that's no biggie if you plan on just using it to play.

Unfortunately the outer shell of the system is beat to shit too with tons of scratches and nicks in it. So it's definitely not in a collectors kind of condition. It's been sitting in a big cardboard box for the last 9 months or so since I tested it. Every attempt I've made to sell it on CL for even $100-200 has been met with offers of $50 or under, especially after mentioning the opened case and scratches.

I should just use it as a secondary DVD/Blu-Ray player and pull any ads I have out for it right now since it isn't gonna sell I have a feeling.:cry:

I have a original B.C. 60gb that only has a couple of hundread hours of playtime on it. I still have the orginal box and all paperwork for it. I got it at Gamestop right after launch it was maybe a week or two after. I do not have the original six-axis for it since I upgraded to the dual shock when they were released. Feel free to make an offer if you would like I also have like 8-10 PS2 games that I would want to bundle with it.

If you dont want the ps2 games from ajh2298 and do want the original sixaxis for some reason, make me an offer instead lol
also have everything that originally came with it.
PS: not trying to jack your deal or anything, just offering an alternative, I dont want that to come off as a-hole-ey in any way

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine on craigslist, though that was a couple years ago. It came with a few games (I think SOCOM Confrontation was fairly new at the time) and it was in good shape. It was a good deal for the time. I'd stick to craigslist and search ebay once or twice a week.

Mine did eventually get the YLOD though, so be prepared for that and what it might cost to fix it (I paid ~$100 I believe to get it re-balled).

Your better off buying a ps2 from gamestop for $40 and a non BC ps3. The old BC PS3s are dying and with a ps2 you will know all games you want to play on it will work. The reason BC PS3s are dropping in value are due to reliability, PSN Store starting to sell PS2 games, and PS2 games being remade for PS3 in HD with trophies. Plus the fact once you start playing a PS3 game on an HDTV, playing a PS2 game looks horrible

I agree its much cheaper to get a new PS3 and a used PS2. With gamestop reducing the used PS2's to 39.99 you can probably get one really cheap locally or look for a converted to used PS2 at GS. Also the PS2 will be much easier to replace for cheap down the road if it goes bad. Better than getting stuck with a system that will definitely die eventually and a $100 or more repair fee.

bread's done
Back