want to buy a ds but have questions!

I went to town on the touch screen with Meteos and Elite Beat Agents and all there is to show of it are tiny scuff marks. If I ever cleaned my screen with a cloth they would come right off. As long as you don't push too hard, it should hold up fine. My top screen is fine, I haven't gotten any scratches on it.

Hope you enjoy your DS if you decide to get one!

I have a few minor scratches on mine from those long EBA sessions, but nothing major. It really takes ALOT to scratch the screen, so as long as your sensible and take care of it well, it'll last you a LONG time.

There's no reason what so ever to havethe top screen scratched seeing as how it's away from where your hands will be and the DS will be closed when you're not using it.

The bottom screen for me has never gotten a "permanent" scratch. I say that because i rarely clean the bottom screen and all the "scratches" just wipe right off.

[quote name='iamthekiller']use screen protectors[/quote]

you really dont need them, if youre scratching your bottom screen from gameplay then youre doing something wrong.

you do get a little bit of residue from the stylus, but that wipes away with a microfiber cloth.

I was extremely careful with my touchscreen, but it got scratched on day 2. Small scratch that I can't see unless I look for it and tilt it properly, but it's there so I definitely recommend screen protectors! I had an official nintendo DSL stylus and don't know anyone more careful than me so ya...

I think it happens when you're playing for awhile and a tiny spec of dust gets on the screen and you go over it just wrong or something. I'd get screen protectors BECAUSE you're guaranteed absolutely no scratches, and if you're anything like me you'll be ultra careful when using the stylus and it will take away some fun from the gameplay, so with screen protectors you can draw like mad and have no worries. Plus, you can get cheap ones for around 3$ or less that do the job just fine.

I didn't bother with the top screen though...don't see how it could scratch.

And for color...I heard the polar ones had cracked hinges easily? Maybe they fixed that though...Anyway I like both colors, but black seems to stay "cleaner". Haven't had great luck with the buttons though on the black one...but either one is fine I'm sure.

[quote name='Spades22']I was extremely careful with my touchscreen, but it got scratched on day 2. Small scratch that I can't see unless I look for it and tilt it properly, but it's there so I definitely recommend screen protectors! I had an official nintendo DSL stylus and don't know anyone more careful than me so ya...

I think it happens when you're playing for awhile and a tiny spec of dust gets on the screen and you go over it just wrong or something. I'd get screen protectors BECAUSE you're guaranteed absolutely no scratches, and if you're anything like me you'll be ultra careful when using the stylus and it will take away some fun from the gameplay, so with screen protectors you can draw like mad and have no worries. Plus, you can get cheap ones for around 3$ or less that do the job just fine.

I didn't bother with the top screen though...don't see how it could scratch.

And for color...I heard the polar ones had cracked hinges easily? Maybe they fixed that though...Anyway I like both colors, but black seems to stay "cleaner". Haven't had great luck with the buttons though on the black one...but either one is fine I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Onyx definitely doesn't stay clean if you ask me. Like the PSP, it is a finger smudge MAGNET. I still prefer the look of the Onyx versus the White one. I've had both, and you really can't go wrong with either one. I recommend the Onyx tho, it's just so damn sexy.

I'm very sensitive with my touch screens

except when it comes to ouendan spinners

I recommend some hori screen protectors

If you don't use a protector you will get scratches. They won't affect game play or be visible when the unit is on unless you are very rough, but if you angle the screen in good light they'll be there. I really don't get people who think there's no way you'll ever scratch the screen with normal play. You are physically rubbing a stylus on it...

Hori makes awesome protectors, as already mentioned. Can't tell they are on unless you specifically look for the edges.

Highly recommend getting Hori Screen Protectors. You may not get scratches, but if a piece of dust gets on the screen and you use the stylus on the dust, you can actually scratch your screen. I know from experience :whistle2:(. Its a small precaution, and the Hori ones are pretty cheap.

I have a Limited Edition teal DS, there's sometimes limited editions released every once in awhile. Currently you can get a black Pokemon one from the Pokemon Center website.

Screen protectors are worth it, but they are a PAIN to install properly. You need the eye of a watchmaker and the hands of surgeon to get them on straight without air bubbles.

I've had my DS Lite since they first came out, and the original screen protectors are still there. I hardly notice them now.

If you want to see how BAD it can get without a protector, simply go into any Target or BB with a floor model and take a look at the screens. It looks like a satellite images of a hurricane (sometimes on BOTH screens... kids are tapping it all over) That's an extreme example, but still...

[quote name='bluesyncopate']It looks like a satellite images of a hurricane[/quote]

:applause:

man, ive been borrowing my friend's system + EBA for about 2 weeks now, its definitely entered the early stages of hurricane status. hope shes not too pissed >_<

ive been looking at getting a system myself. i decided on the ice blue, but then came to realize its import only. the cheapest ive seen it is about $170 +SH. anyone know of places (online or in so-cal) that have a better deal?

[quote name='shadylane']if i bought the final fantasy one. how will the warranty work?[/quote]you won't get a warranty if its bought in another country, so if you're willing to take that risk then go for it

If you get the black, buy the Playtech Armorlite. Fingerprint/smudge protection for OCD folks like myself.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']If you get the black, buy the Playtech Armorlite. Fingerprint/smudge protection for OCD folks like myself.[/QUOTE]
Joytech Armorlite. It is a good case, except some particles of dust and such can still get stuck in between the ds and case. It then scratches the surface of the ds. That is what happened with my ds. I still highly recommend it though.

[quote name='ringoxcore']ive been looking at getting a system myself. i decided on the ice blue, but then came to realize its import only. the cheapest ive seen it is about $170 +SH. anyone know of places (online or in so-cal) that have a better deal?[/quote]

I heard the Ice Blue Lite is being released as a limited edition in Australia. I have no idea if it'll be released elsewhere. http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/05/22/australia-getting-ice-blue-ds-lite/

"There's no word on release date or price, but we'd expect it to be $A199.95 (US $165) like other DS's in Australia."

"Go Nintendo is confirming that the handheld will be available come July 19th and retail for $199.95RRP."

I have 2 DS's (one fat, one lite). Both have Hori protectors on the screens. Both are mint condition and scratch free. I highly recommend the Hori protectors.

*goes off to play Hotel Dusk*

bread's done
Back