Wanting to build another computer, unsure of parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbit18

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I've been wanting to build a new computer as of lately, but wondering how much money it will take minus the monitor. I built my old one which has the current specs:

amd64 3500+
6800gt oc
2gb DDR RAM

I built this quite a while ago, and it still runs things well, but a lot of games are too choppy to even play. It even struggles with L4D2, but its still playable. I've been looking around on newegg trying to just add parts to a cart to see the costs, but I have trouble judging which parts I really need. I saw they have intel corei7 chips compared with the amd x3-x4 set. I'm looking to build another gaming machine, but also trying to keep price low. I already have a widescreen monitor so I would just need the tower. What parts do you think are good, cheap, and also will last me a while?

edit: BTW, I haven't been paying attention to parts for sometime now, but i do understand a lot, if I can read the specs!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226363

With the i7s, it'll be around 400 dollars just for the processor and mobo if you get a good deal, ~100 for decent ram, you never want to skimp on a PSU, so ~100 for that, video card- you can get something decent and current for ~150 and HDs will be around ~50-100 depending on what you want or need. Towers will also run you ~50-100 depending on what you like. So in all, estimated ~850 (maybe more, maybe less) for an i7 build.

You can get different cpu and mobo and maybe cut the price by 200, down to ~650 for a decent gaming cpu.

just check out the builds on the first page of the linked thread, still should be relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back