Wanting to buy a ps3 got a few questions though

slowmotionninja

CAGiversary!
Hi guys I just got taxes back and I was wanting to buy a ps3 because of the blu-ray player in it. I got a couple questions though. Which ones are able to play ps2 games? I know that they are hard to find but I believe a couple of places near me have a 60gb just want to make sure thats the one before I commit.Also does it come with a remote for the blu-ray spiderman bundle or is that something I have to buy another time? Anything else you guys could point out to me would be great as I never really looked into getting one before.

I don't own one, but the 60 GB can play all PS2 games. The 40 GB can not, and the 80 GB only plays 80-90% of PS2 games.

[quote name='slowmotionninja']Hi guys I just got taxes back and I was wanting to buy a ps3 because of the blu-ray player in it. I got a couple questions though. Which ones are able to play ps2 games? I know that they are hard to find but I believe a couple of places near me have a 60gb just want to make sure thats the one before I commit.Also does it come with a remote for the blu-ray spiderman bundle or is that something I have to buy another time? Anything else you guys could point out to me would be great as I never really looked into getting one before.[/QUOTE]
The 20GB, 60GB, and 80GB PS3s can play PS2 games. The 20 and 60GB models have PS2 hardware, and will have the best rate of compatibility. They do not come with a remote or any Blu-ray movies. You will have to buy the Sony Bluetooth remote separately.

If you care about backwards compatability a great deal, than the 60GB is your best bet, followed by the rarer 20GB. The 60 is the best PS3 money can buy. The 40GB isn't worth bothering with.

If you're buying the PS3 used, make sure you check out the model number, its easy for someone to take a 40gb or 20gb PS3 and put in a 60, or 80gb hdd and say that its the backwards compatible version.

The 40gb PS3 has only two USB cables, the other versions have 4. 20gb doesn't have wifi built in. If you're going to use an external Hard drive w/ the PS3, it must be formatted Fat 32,
60gb is fully backwards compatible, and the 80gb is only partially compatible (most ps2 games do work w/ the 80gb version).

Those are the best misc. tips I can think of.

Good Luck

The 20, 60 and 80 gb models will play PS2 games, but the 80 gb may have some issues with some games. However, ALL versions of the PS3 play PS1 games out of the box, since they all have the PS1 chip in them.

I have the 40gb model myself, since I still have my PS2, so I don't really NEED the BC at this point.

If you check the Gamefunk 60gb thread, someone listed a way to tell which model you're looking at by checking the model # on the console. I forget which page of that thread it's on though.

And, if you wish, the 60gb models from Gamefunk were an option I was looking into, since most said they received consoles which looked like they were barely played with.

bread's done
Back