War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wanting Civ IV for the past month or so, but definitely didn't want to pay for the complete pack (even though it was only $15 or so), when all I want is the base game, so this came at a great time. I loved CivRev on the 360, but sold it eventually after I played it to death, so I'm ready to get hooked on Civilization again. It fails the minimum system requirements (according to systemrequirementslab.com) for my cheap laptop, but I think it'll probably work okay. I'm thinking about building a gaming computer soon because of all the PC games I've been buying recently, will I be able to install this on a 2nd computer.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']I've been wanting Civ IV for the past month or so, but definitely didn't want to pay for the complete pack (even though it was only $15 or so), when all I want is the base game, so this came at a great time. I loved CivRev on the 360, but sold it eventually after I played it to death, so I'm ready to get hooked on Civilization again. It fails the minimum system requirements (according to systemrequirementslab.com) for my cheap laptop, but I think it'll probably work okay. I'm thinking about building a gaming computer soon because of all the PC games I've been buying recently, will I be able to install this on a 2nd computer.[/QUOTE]

I tried to get back into it by playing on my cheapy laptop and it was fine until I got pretty deep into the game and a lot of different things were going on. What killed me was my 32MB video card so I ended up switching back to the desktop.

[quote name='JayMan8081']Looking forward to the Indie week.[/QUOTE]

Got my fingers crossed for $5 Braid.

[quote name='rperez1025']The are both a little different in terms of turn-based strategy compared to FF Tactics but X-com is the most similar. Both games are considered some of the best of all time so I would really, really recommend playing both, esp. for the amount of value you are getting from X-com.

Civ IV might seem a little overwhelming at first but just make sure you use the tutorial. I bought the original about the time it came out and I just recently got the urge to start playing it again (I also just got the Beyond The Sword expansion from GoGamer's sale).

They are both great games that stand the test of time.[/QUOTE]

I may have to stick to with or the other, since the next 4 weeks of D2D deals will presumably be just as good as this one, but now I'm certain that I'll be happy with my decision either way. I'm leaning toward X-Com.

Thanks very much to you and Mysterio for your responses.

[quote name='Vegan']They only do that under the SHADIEST of circumstances. Anyone who buys a Taiwanese license to a game for like $2 or whatever it was should know full well what's about to happen to it.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to derail this thread into another gratuitous Steam debate, especially not when the incident at issue happened two years ago, so this post will be the last mention I make of it in this thread. (In my defense, I did answer a question about how Steam and Direct2Drive differ, which may be informative to someone.) The price of the Asian version of Orange Box was more like $20. Whatever regional restrictions were printed on the box would not have been apparent to someone buying online. And am I to believe that Valve doesn't shop globally for the best price when buying labor, equipment?

[quote name='11440']I don't want to derail this thread into another gratuitous Steam debate, especially not when the incident at issue happened two years ago, so this post will be the last mention I make of it in this thread. (In my defense, I did answer a question about how Steam and Direct2Drive differ, which may be informative to someone.) The price of the Asian version of Orange Box was more like $20. Whatever regional restrictions were printed on the box would not have been apparent to someone buying online. And am I to believe that Valve doesn't shop globally for the best price when buying labor, equipment?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to make a "last mention" don't bother posting a stupid question.

Valve probably had a good reason to block those TW games from US accounts.

Direct2Drive is like Steam's less attractive, sluttier cousin/sister/roommate. My kind of girl.

Just noticed that D2D replaced Silent Hunter III and put Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition up for sale instead.

[quote name='rs1990']The X-Com bundle is definitely worth it... Also, can't wait to see what we get with RPG week.

I do wish that I could easily install it on both my laptop and desktop to play wherever.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? I was just thinking this! So does this mean if I want it on my desktop and notebook, I need to buy it on each from D2D? #-o

[quote name='V878']Got my fingers crossed for $5 Braid.[/QUOTE]

Well with Steam doing this deal this weekend, looks like I don't have to wait any longer. :lol:

[quote name='Full Metal XL']I know, right? I was just thinking this! So does this mean if I want it on my desktop and notebook, I need to buy it on each from D2D? #-o[/QUOTE]

No, if you click on the individual games in the bundle, it will say which ones are DRM free (the original X-com is) so you can install it on as many machines as you want. On the other games I believe you have a limited number of activations but you'd want to confirm it.

[quote name='rperez1025']No, if you click on the individual games in the bundle, it will say which ones are DRM free (the original X-com is) so you can install it on as many machines as you want. On the other games I believe you have a limited number of activations but you'd want to confirm it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, sweet...thanks! :applause:

What's been people's experience with Direct2Drive? I googled "Direct2Drive reviews", and many of the posted comments on sites such as resellerratings.com are very negative. It seems like you're okay as long as you don't need any customer service, but trying to get assistance with a purchase or download seems to be problematic.

this is sick!! call of juarez $5?? yes please!!! cant wait for action games next week to. hopefully some good stuff

[quote name='rperez1025']Just noticed that D2D replaced Silent Hunter III and put Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition up for sale instead.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was actually interested in Slient Hunter III. Why would they change it?

[quote name='whitereflection']Damn, I was actually interested in Slient Hunter III. Why would they change it?[/QUOTE]

I'd keep a look out for it, they might have just moved it to a different week of the sale.

Wow, I can see myself spending $15 on Advanced Warfighter 2, Civ 4, and Warhammer 40k. It's like the impulse buy isle right next to the checkstand at a grocery store. Sure you may not need all this stuff but the price is certainly right. I'd doubt Far Cry 2 would be on there, but Prince of Persia likely will with is both awesome and kinda sad at the same time.

I bought GRAW2 for $5 almost a year ago from a local liquidator. I played it expecting a more action oriented experience like on the 360 but became frustrated and eventually disappointed enough to just stop playing because of its unnecessary tediousness and difficulty. There's a lot of omissions in the gameplay and features in the pc version that otherwise made the console versions seem to standout and I just don't understand why the gameplay changes were made by GRIN (the now defunct pc developer.):bomb:

If you go in expecting a more old school Rainbow Six gameplay style then it's definitely money well spent.

Any chance of Guild Wars during the RPG/MMO week? I just got the GOTY edition from target on clearance for 9.98 and am literally ready to install it right now, but I'm thinking I should wait. Also, I know ypu guys have been discussing it, i've never used D2D, does it make you install a "download/installation manager" type thing the way steam does? Will I have to run that D2D program every time I wanna play the game?
Thanks for any assistance.
Also hoping for Company of Heroes. I hesitated 1 day too long on the last Steam sale...

Thank you for this post. I just spent the last 4 hours playing Railroads. What a blast! Best $5 I ever spent!

Really thinking about Civ 4 and Dawn of War. Only thing holding me back on Civ is no Expansions, Ive been wanting the game for a while but may wait on a deal for the complete package sometime.

Civ 4 is giving me grief I'm going to have to trouble shoot in Win 7 x64. It's giving me a MSVCR71.dll error and the latest patch won't install (probably due to the path being in "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files". Don't have time to mess with it right now and think it's probably fixable, but be warned :) I did try to reregister the MSVCR17.dll, but my quick attempt didn't work so I'll need to look around a bit for an answer.

[quote name='vherub']I've never played dawn of war- has it aged well?[/QUOTE]

Also, if I buy it off D2D can I get the expansions from somewhere else or I am locked into D2D for all of it?

[quote name='Lord Jezo']Also, if I buy it off D2D can I get the expansions from somewhere else or I am locked into D2D for all of it?[/QUOTE]I'd say it has aged well, if you've not played it you're in for a treat but there's a tiny warning on its page indicating that the D2D version is only compatible with the D2D version of the Winter Assault expansion. The other 2 "expansions," Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are standalone games, only using the previous games' registry info to unlock the original races in multiplayer. (There are also user written programs that will allow you to enter the reg keys to unlock those so you don't have to keep everything installed if you don't want to.)

can anyone confirm if any of the games this week can be activated through steam? d2d lokks nice and all, but steam is a platform that seems to last

[quote name='rperez1025']Just noticed that D2D replaced Silent Hunter III and put Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Game of the Year Edition up for sale instead.[/QUOTE]
SH3 is still $5. it's just not listed on the front sale page

X-Com: UFO Defense is completely living up to the hype. Thanks again, CAGers!

[quote name='bigwoof']can anyone confirm if any of the games this week can be activated through steam? d2d lokks nice and all, but steam is a platform that seems to last[/QUOTE]
[quote name='TheWoj']I was wondering if Civ4 can be activated through Steam when purchased from D2D.
[/QUOTE]
No to both questions. Regarding the games offered in future weeks - Unless it is on this list (or is Zeno Clash), then...no.

Im looking on the D2D site and I see

Bioshock
chronicles of riddick assault on dark athena for 5
saints row 2 for 5
sid meier's pirates and mlb 2k9 for 5. A few others but idk it's acting like it isn't supposed to start yet lol.

Also it seems you can still buy the old games even after the week "ends".

yeah i figured i'd try and buy saints row 2 but the order won't go through yet. it's like they put up the new page too early.

Is chronicles of riddick worth it? Im just trying to buy only one game, and it looks fun.

But I must ask, does it come with the remade original? or just the "sequel"?

Just as an update, it seems the D2D version of riddick does have the Butcher bay touch up included. I just wasn't sure if they were selling the digital version of athena.

Is stalker worth it?

I hear ya. Very impressive. Part of me wants to hold off to see if Valve has anything up their sleeves for this, but I was looking into buying chronicles of riddick and stalker just because I havn't played them before.

Hmm, tried to use PayPal to buy Bioshock and Riddick and the transaction failed. Not sure what's up with that, anyone else having problems actually getting an order placed? As for Stalker, it's definitely worth it but a lot of people like to use mods and I've no idea if you can mod the D2D version or not. (A concern I have with most digital download games actually.)

Holy mackeral. Wasn't expecting to see something like Riddick. Wow.

[quote name='Jauron']Is saints row 2 playable on the PC now? I know it had tons of issues before...[/QUOTE]

They did update it, and it is a bit better, but it's still extremely problematic.

great games, if I had to guess, you probably can't buy the new games yet- that's why the old games are still up.
probably just not doing a good job of transitioning.

but these are great, Bioshock is fantastic, stalker is solid now that it is fully patched up
Picking up riddick and mostly likely saints row

Im waiting for confirmation that the checkout system is peachy before biting on riddick and stalker. I have to say, some great titles for 5 dollars, and easily something for everyone. I wonder if Valve even has a sale to compete with this, because I have to be honest. This pretty much rivals their holiday sale of last year.

Wow, Direct2Drive just went from Yet Another Digital Distribution Service That I Ignore In Favor Of Steam to being a place where I have a substantial library of games. Got Chaos Theory and Dawn of War a couple of days ago, and will probably be getting Riddick and Saints Row tonight. Probably Thief as well.

$5 is thoroughly in my "what the hell" price range, so if they keep the list of games as good as this one for the rest of the sale, D2D may be extracting a good bit of money from me over the next couple of weeks.

hmmm, the more I read about the pc version of saints row 2, the worse it sounds

does anyone have any experience playing it on pc?

bread's done
Back