War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright since Stalker most likely isn't moddable, ill skip that. Most likely going to get Riddick then, but Im sure the DL will take along time haha.

Bought Saints Row 2 a couple of months ago on eBay only to find out later that it was a steam game, so the code that came in the game was useless. For $5, I now have a working code and because I already owned the game, it saved me downloading 11gig. Woooo!

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Alright since Stalker most likely isn't moddable, ill skip that. Most likely going to get Riddick then, but Im sure the DL will take along time haha.[/QUOTE]

Their servers are really slow, too. I'm getting less than 200kb/sec on a 7GB file. Sigh. Steam can give me 2MB/sec. More, probably, if I had the bandwidth.

gah, 7GB at 200KB/s is gonna take along time. I recently had to re dl WaW on steam, and that's 9 GB. and damn near 3x that speed it still took me 6 hours.

Yea, so transaction failed 3 fucking times in a row. So now Im locked out. Im not even going to bother with sending support a ticket, Ill just wait to see if Steam has anything on sale worthwhile this week, and if not who cares. I have too many games to play as it is. I know my account is good too, I just used the same card to buy a game on steam this afternoon.

[quote name='Qais']I'm really tempted to get STALKER but can anyone confirm if you can patch it or add any mods???[/QUOTE]

Only the patches that D2D provides will work with D2D games. Stalker mods with installers and shit, I'm 99% sure will not work.

Yeah, I notice they don't have a forum on their site. It's like they have no interest in any community, or people talking about their games. I've gotten so much use out of the Steam forums, even for games I didn't buy on Steam.

Hey Cheapy, Stalker for $5. I've been wanting to play this sucker cheap for a couple of years now, THANKS!

[quote name='Vegan']Yeah, mods won't work because you can't patch D2D games. But texture replacements (Thief 3) will work.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, Riddick has a 1.01 patch that improves performance. I tried installing it to the D2D Riddick from this deal and it took about a 1/4th second and said it was done. Seemed a little too quick. Are you saying it didn't patch the game? I can't find anywhere in the game that says the version number.

Kinda sucks if you can't patch games since PC games are often shipped buggy and then patched later.

[quote name='Hostile']I just want to kick myself. What did I miss in Week 1?

I'm hoping for Mass Effect during RPG week...[/QUOTE]

Scroll down to the bottom, most if not all last weeks titles are still 5 dollars.

[quote name='Bebpo']Hmmmm, Riddick has a 1.01 patch that improves performance. I tried installing it to the D2D Riddick from this deal and it took about a 1/4th second and said it was done. Seemed a little too quick. Are you saying it didn't patch the game? I can't find anywhere in the game that says the version number.

Kinda sucks if you can't patch games since PC games are often shipped buggy and then patched later.[/QUOTE]

You can't patch Steam games, either. With all of these services, you're at their mercy whether they roll them out or not. Sometimes you have to wait a few days after the patch has been released, too, like with Mass Effect on Steam. On D2D there is a "Patches" section.

Direct2Drive needs to do a better job of easily showing all the $5 games. It's very easy to miss what is onsale, and it is still unclear if games will remain $5 the entire sale, or what.

[quote name='Vegan']You can't patch Steam games, either. With all of these services, you're at their mercy whether they roll them out or not. Sometimes you have to wait a few days after the patch has been released, too, like with Mass Effect on Steam. On D2D there is a "Patches" section.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the Riddick 1.01 patch has been out since May and it's not patches section :p So I guess sometimes D2D games simply never get their respective patches.

With Steam it might be the same situation, but it seems a lot less restrictive. Like most mods work with Steam versions. At least the ones I've tried over the years.

I've really wanted to give Riddick a go since I loved the original and at $5 it sounded like a great price but then I remembered hearing about the DRM mess and looked it up. 3 installs and no way to uninstall/revoke? No thanks not even for $5. This isn't the first pc game I passed on due to DRM and it probably won't be the last :mad:

[quote name='vherub']Direct2Drive needs to do a better job of easily showing all the $5 games. It's very easy to miss what is onsale, and it is still unclear if games will remain $5 the entire sale, or what.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I didn't realize that games like Manhunt, Cold Fear, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, and Tomb Raider Legend were among the $5 deals.

I'm stalling while I make my decisions, and I hope the prices don't revert during that time.

Wait, why am I mulling over $5 purchases?

Damn it very very tempted on Civ 4, Riddick and Saints Row 2. I know my comp can handle Civ4 but not sure how well Riddick and SR2 will play on my comp.

[quote name='powersurge']3 installs and no way to uninstall/revoke? No thanks not even for $5.[/QUOTE]

Not even for $5? Come on. $5 is nothing. I spend more on lunch and I certainly only get to eat that once. I'll accept a lot if a game is only $5. By all means, only let me play through the game 3 times. I didn't pay $60 for it.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']I figured I would pick up Saint's Row 2, but apparently it doesn't work right on Windows 7 x64...it just crashes for me on start up.[/QUOTE]

I also had the crash with Windows 7 x64 RTM. I was able to fix the error though. Goto the following directory "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Saints Row 2\" right-click on sr2-pc.exe and select properties. Click the compatibility tab and select to run as Vista, just regular Vista, don't select the option with Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2. You should now be able to run the game through Steam.

[quote name='powersurge']I've really wanted to give Riddick a go since I loved the original and at $5 it sounded like a great price but then I remembered hearing about the DRM mess and looked it up. 3 installs and no way to uninstall/revoke? No thanks not even for $5. This isn't the first pc game I passed on due to DRM and it probably won't be the last :mad:[/QUOTE]

quit being stupid.

If you have a problem, D2D stated that they would fix any and all issues with simple communication.

I read the Faq and it said most games on D2D can be patched with normal patches, however the ones that can't will get a patch in the patches section. So check to see if you can patch it anyway.

Edit: I see someone already has tried patching Riddick. Idk, is the performance that much worse without the patch?

I was thinking of picking up Saints Row 2, but every review I've read says it chugs on the PC.
Anyone have any luck with the patch?

mlb 2k9 is an awesome steal for $5. controller probs up the butt tho.. still working on that.. maybe i need an xbox360 controller.. dunno yet. I'm not worried about DRM they claim even if you're at your activation limit you can email them and they will give u a new CD key. so far all is wonderful with D2D super fast DL speed compared to Gamersgate's 100k. I'm a Steam fan too tho.

Picked up Saints Row 2 and registered it on my Steam account. I'm a Steam whore, so anything I can pick up for cheap and register there I will. :)

[quote name='talon2099']Earlier today their site was rejecting a lot of valid credit cards and PayPal transactions. If you try to make a purchase and fail 3 times, D2D disables that method of payment and then you get to contact customer support and file a ticket begging them to realize that the problem isn't with your account, which freaking worked just fine last week, and to please reenable it so you can give them money. (Do I sound bitter? Yeah, I sound bitter. If they weren't having this sale I'd never bother with them again. I realize I could switch payment methods and pay via CC assuming they have that working now but do I really want them to have access to my CC info given their apparent incompetence? No.)[/QUOTE]

You didn't answer my question.
When I click on "Paypal", it forwards me to the Paypal page, where I log in, but then it asks me to add a card to my account. I don't want to do that, I just want to pay from my balance.

Why offer a Paypal option when you can only use a credit card, the likes of which has its own seperate option on the payment screen?!

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'm betting World of Goo will be among the Indie Games. Anyone have any clue or guesses of what will show up for RPG Week?[/QUOTE]If the recetly digitally released Star Wars KotOR goes up for $5, I'll probably pick it up. I've really been enjoying Jade Empire from the GoGamer sale, so I want to grab some more Bioware games. I played KotOR on the Xbox but never finished it. I know that the combat systems are totally different, but I'd definitely want to have it anyways.

I'm REALLY hoping for Guild Wars to pop up for $5. I finally have a computer that can run it (although not perfectly), so I want to finally give it a shot.

Does the D2D version of Saints Row 2 require Steam for activation? I read that was the case for the retail version not sure if it applies for D2D as well.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I read the Faq and it said most games on D2D can be patched with normal patches, however the ones that can't will get a patch in the patches section. So check to see if you can patch it anyway.

Edit: I see someone already has tried patching Riddick. Idk, is the performance that much worse without the patch?[/QUOTE]

What I want is the commentary that the 1.02 patch adds.

Picked up Saints Row 2 after getting the payment stuff straightened out, I was thinking about Riddick, but I want to hear some opinions of how good the game is first.

[quote name='StickyWaffles']If the recetly digitally released Star Wars KotOR goes up for $5, I'll probably pick it up. I've really been enjoying Jade Empire from the GoGamer sale, so I want to grab some more Bioware games. I played KotOR on the Xbox but never finished it. I know that the combat systems are totally different, but I'd definitely want to have it anyways.

I'm REALLY hoping for Guild Wars to pop up for $5. I finally have a computer that can run it (although not perfectly), so I want to finally give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Newegg is your best shot if you want to buy Guild Wars. You can get the platinum edition for $10 with free shipping. The platinum edition is the original game plus the eye of the north expansion. Newegg also sells the Factions campaign for $10 with free shipping. So for $20 you can get 3/4th of the Guild War's retail experience.

If Direct2Drive only has the original Guild Wars campaign for $5 next week, then your best bet is to get the platinum edition.

I don't think D2D wants my money. I've been trying to buy Serious Sam since this week was revealed, and the site always stops responding once I add anything to my cart. If I delete my cookies for D2D it will instantly respond again, but obviously I can't get to the checkout part without something in my cart....

LOUD NOISES!!!!!

EDIT: Got sick of the stupid stuff and booted up my Macbook to buy it through Firefox on there instead. Either D2D doesn't like x64 OS's or Windows 7 itself. Same network, same browser version, same add-ons installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone here know if the D2D version of X-Com runs well on XP? I'm thinking of buying the collection but I tried running X-Com on my XP laptop before and it was a nightmare. The game itself worked fine, but everytime I quit the game my display would remain in the same resolution the game was in, so I could only see a small corner area of my desktop, and I couldn't see enough of the screen to change the resolution back to what it should be. Had to have a buddy walk me through it by saying, "ok, now hit the tab button three times, now press enter, now tab two more times...etc.
The whole X-Com collection is going for only $5, but I don't wan't that hassle again.

[quote name='wastedyears']Does anyone here know if the D2D version of X-Com runs well on XP? [/QUOTE]
Yes, very well. It uses DOSBox, and some minor configuration may be needed to adjust it to your tastes, but it is very easy to get a working install of all the games in the pack.

[quote name='kogged']Yes, very well. It uses DOSBox, and some minor configuration may be needed to adjust it to your tastes, but it is very easy to get a working install of all the games in the pack.[/QUOTE]
So does D2D install DOSBox and configure it for the game? I haven't used GOG.com, but I assume that's what they do, too. Hopefully it works in Vista/64...

[quote name='docvinh']Picked up Saints Row 2 after getting the payment stuff straightened out, I was thinking about Riddick, but I want to hear some opinions of how good the game is first.[/QUOTE]

Riddick is a really good game. I can't testify to anything pertaining to D2D as I bought a boxed copy years ago. Graphically it should hold up very nicely and the gameplay and story are extremely good. It's a real cult-classic.

[quote name='kogged']Yes, very well. It uses DOSBox, and some minor configuration may be needed to adjust it to your tastes, but it is very easy to get a working install of all the games in the pack.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! : )

Is their support sleeping on the job? I've been locked out from a transaction since 2 days ago and they still havn't gotten back to me. After they unlock my account I doubt I'll buy a game from them at all.

[quote name='hal']Riddick is a really good game. I can't testify to anything pertaining to D2D as I bought a boxed copy years ago. Graphically it should hold up very nicely and the gameplay and story are extremely good. It's a real cult-classic.[/QUOTE]

The Riddick that's on sale on D2D right now is Assault on Dark Athena, which is the remake-plus-sequel that only came out earlier this year. It's not the original version you played (but the remake is design-identical, just with better graphics; I'd say it's the definitive version).

I got Saint's Row 2 since it works with Steam. Tempted to do that for Prey as well - has Prey ever been on sale for less on Steam?

[quote name='eastx']I got Saint's Row 2 since it works with Steam. Tempted to do that for Prey as well - has Prey ever been on sale for less on Steam?[/QUOTE]

I remember it was a weekend deal on Steam last year for $5 (want to say end of March '08). Not sure if it's been cheaper since.

[quote name='V878']I remember it was a weekend deal on Steam last year for $5 (want to say end of March '08). Not sure if it's been cheaper since.[/QUOTE]

Correct. It was actually one of the very first "Weekend Deals," if not the first.

[quote name='Nebenator']Not much of a PC gamer, so could someone please tell me if SR2 adds to your gamerscore?[/QUOTE]

It's not a GFWL game, no.

[quote name='V878']I remember it was a weekend deal on Steam last year for $5 (want to say end of March '08). Not sure if it's been cheaper since.[/QUOTE]

gogamer often puts prey onsale for $1 during their 48 hour madness deals.
and you can register physical copies on steam just as easily as the direct2drive

bread's done
Back