War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, all it took to get a response, was a reply to their auto response when you first send in the ticket. Sucks but it's all good now. I bought Stalker, and will probably be in for riddick before too long.

Locked out my Paypal and Credit Card options for paying; can't get the thing to approve a transaction for the life of me.

While that bump is appreciated and all, it should be noted that this topic's going to be full of activity until the sale is over.

I, personally, want to see what shows up in the RPG section next week.

[quote name='MrDarkstorm']How do you use the CD key with Steam??[/QUOTE]

In the Steam client, click the "Games" pull-down menu near the top, then select "Activate a product on Steam."

Remember that this only works for SR2 and Prey.

Saints Row 2 requires steam, even though it isn't stated.

Also, direct2drive has the same 50% off sale for the secret of monkey island, $4.95 in case you preferred d2d over steam

[quote name='MrDarkstorm']That seems like a good idea to expand to more than two games.[/QUOTE]

Well, Steam isn't a charity. It's not their responsibility to do it unless they're getting paid for it.

Man I didn't even realize that D2D had the game already at $4.95 - They really do need advertise their $5 games better.

Also, keep in mind D2D has tax, so, if both services have the game at the same price, Steam's still the better deal.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']While that bump is appreciated and all, it should be noted that this topic's going to be full of activity until the sale is over.

I, personally, want to see what shows up in the RPG section next week.[/QUOTE]

No one likes backseat moderators. It was only a bump.

I bought SR2 and activated it with steam no problem, I also got Riddick as I've been wanting to play this and $5 is well below what I'd be willing to pay for it :D also I wasn't charged tax (live in AL).

[quote name='hobbie8046']Locked out my Paypal and Credit Card options for paying; can't get the thing to approve a transaction for the life of me.[/QUOTE]

Shoot them an email, they had my stuff fixed within minutes.

Does anybody know how D2D works w/ DRM?

Do all games come w/ some sort of homebrew D2D DRM?
Or certain games come w/ certain DRM here? Any install-limit restrictions?

What does these D2D versions of these games have for DRM?
Riddick: Athena
Serious Sam Gold
MLB 2K9
Frontlines: Fuel of War

It is my understanding that D2D games generally have the same DRM as their boxed counterparts. So in the case of Riddick, for example, there would be an install limit.

[quote name='mokmoof']It is my understanding that D2D games generally have the same DRM as their boxed counterparts. So in the case of Riddick, for example, there would be an install limit.[/QUOTE]

From my understanding, D2D states whether a game comes with DRM, and if so, which system. That information is normally at the bottom of the game description page.

For instance, if you look at the Max Payne 2 offer, it mentions Securom.

For The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena, there is no mention of DRM.

Still, that in itself is no guarantee that the game does not come with DRM, just that the website doesn't mention it.

If you really want to be absolutely safe, contacting their support is your safest bet.

anyone who purchased and installed riddick, did you get the message during installation:
Please insert disk 0 that contains the file data4.cab

Fixed: redownloaded, this time using the D2D download program and it played fine
Riddick does uses Tages drm

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JUDOHAWK']No one likes backseat moderators. It was only a bump.[/QUOTE]

There really was nothing wrong with what was said.

Also, I tried the advice of running SR2 in compatibility mode for plain Vista that was suggested for Win 7 x64, unfortunately that didn't work for me...any other ideas?

Can anyone confirm if mods for Stalker work with the D2D version? I feel they should, but I want to check first before going for it. I skimmed the thread here but didn't see a definitive answer, just people speculating it didn't.

Anyone know for sure?

[quote name='Kurina']Can anyone confirm if mods for Stalker work with the D2D version? I feel they should, but I want to check first before going for it. I skimmed the thread here but didn't see a definitive answer, just people speculating it didn't.

Anyone know for sure?[/QUOTE]
I've heard that it does, but there are people claiming otherwise. My suggestion is to search a few more forums and topics to double check.

Oh man, 68 hours to go until the RPG section opens - I cannot wait.

I was surprised to see the 60 cents tax on my Riddick and X-COM purchase. Pretty tacky for them to mug me to fuel the statist machine. Jerks.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']There really was nothing wrong with what was said.

Also, I tried the advice of running SR2 in compatibility mode for plain Vista that was suggested for Win 7 x64, unfortunately that didn't work for me...any other ideas?[/QUOTE]
Yea, Ill admit that was pretty snotty and I aplogize for that. However, I don't need him calling me out like that, it's embarassing.

Yes mods work on Stalker, however I looked on D2D and it seems stalker is not even part of the sale anymore, also I searched for it but SoC is like nowhere on the site.

game only that is, I see some game+guide crap.

the more $5 games I buy, the more it seems like a gametap subscription would be worthwhile, considering many of these games are available on that service.

As good an idea as that is, Direct2Drive is the one having the sale. (Based on my quick trip over to their site, it seems Gametap doesn't even have half of the games D2D is offering.)

On the plus side, 16 hours to go for the RPG section. I'm hoping Mass Effect will show up on the list.

My wishlist for RPG week:

Mass Effect
Oblivion
Fallout 3(it's a stretch, but not impossible)
Jade Empire

If even one of these is on the list, I'll be happy. Such an awesome promotion! Already purchased Prey and Riddick!

I got to say, they have the absolute worst customer support of any one I've dealt with online. I spent an hour trying to get into the check out, and just like a few other CAGs posted their site apparently hates Windows 7 x64. I finally put the browser into compatibility mode for Vista and it lets me in.

1) My order failed, they charged me, wasn't allowed to download the games I was billed for.

2) They have no phone line for support, instead they make you file a ticket which for the past 6 hours has really done nothing at all.

/head-desk

[quote name='Fuzzy Pickles']I got to say, they have the absolute worst customer support of any one I've dealt with online. I spent an hour trying to get into the check out, and just like a few other CAGs posted their site apparently hates Windows 7 x64. I finally put the browser into compatibility mode for Vista and it lets me in.

1) My order failed, they charged me, wasn't allowed to download the games I was billed for.

2) They have no phone line for support, instead they make you file a ticket which for the past 6 hours has really done nothing at all.

/head-desk[/QUOTE]

I had to shoot them an email replying to the auto response they sent me to get a response. I waited 2 days, then I sent the email. Got a response within a half hour. Coincidence? Maybe, but doesn't hurt.

Thanks, I just tried that out. They didn't really make that very clear in the e-mail since they say you can check the ticket's status at the website. ~_~;

[quote name='Qais']I will be a happy man if The Witcher is on there on tuesday[/QUOTE]

Well, the RPGs go up in just 8 hours, actually, so, you don't need to wait till Tuesday. :)

Can't wait to hear the massive sighs from the internet when it's a ton of MMOs. I would bank on FFXI and Lineage 2 being there. Lineage 2 for $5 would be a freaking steal though. Game gets way worse of a rap than it deserves, but I can see why - you either love or hate it.

Direct2Drive $5 MMO/RPG Sale starts Monday, September 21st at 10am. Assassin's Creed Director's Cut [direct2drive.com] Elven Legacy [direct2drive.com] Eve Online [direct2drive.com] NWN 2 Storm of Zehir [direct2drive.com] Age of Conan [direct2drive.com] Titan Quest Bundle [direct2drive.com] Planet Side Aftershock [direct2drive.com] Drakensang the dark eye [direct2drive.com] GTA Vice city [direct2drive.com] Penumbra Collection [direct2drive.com] Beyond Good and Evil [direct2drive.com] GTA III [direct2drive.com] Taken from SD -- thanks gamerdude714.

Formatting is being weird, so I apologize -- but here is the list taken from SD: Assassin's Creed Director's Cut [direct2drive.com] Elven Legacy [direct2drive.com] Eve Online [direct2drive.com] NWN 2 Storm of Zehir [direct2drive.com] Age of Conan [direct2drive.com] Titan Quest Bundle [direct2drive.com] Planet Side Aftershock [direct2drive.com] Drakensang the dark eye [direct2drive.com] GTA Vice city [direct2drive.com] Penumbra Collection [direct2drive.com] Beyond Good and Evil [direct2drive.com] GTA III [direct2drive.com]

[quote name='bassec']Formatting is being weird, so I apologize -- but here is the list taken from SD: Assassin's Creed Director's Cut [direct2drive.com] Elven Legacy [direct2drive.com] Eve Online [direct2drive.com] NWN 2 Storm of Zehir [direct2drive.com] Age of Conan [direct2drive.com] Titan Quest Bundle [direct2drive.com] Planet Side Aftershock [direct2drive.com] Drakensang the dark eye [direct2drive.com] GTA Vice city [direct2drive.com] Penumbra Collection [direct2drive.com] Beyond Good and Evil [direct2drive.com] GTA III [direct2drive.com][/QUOTE]
Those are supposed to be the RPGs? I've heard good things about Beyond Good and Evil and I'd get if it were offered, but I don't think it's an RPG. And I don't think AC or GTA are either. Hmm.

It saddens me to see that The Witcher isn't listed on there but hopefully that's not the finalized list

Sorry but this list is quite disappointing, but after looking, I might be able to pick up 3 titles.

GTA and AC are something I wouldn't expect to be on this list.

bread's done
Back