War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about being quite an noob and this being my first time posting(i've been lurking this websites for years). Is there a way to tell if any of these game will work with stream, just like Saints Row 2 and Prey did last week?

[quote name='MetalHeadGreen']Sorry about being quite an noob and this being my first time posting(i've been lurking this websites for years). Is there a way to tell if any of these game will work with stream, just like Saints Row 2 and Prey did last week?[/QUOTE]

very few retail cd keys can be activated on steam. In the case of Saints Row 2, steam is actually required

here is a list:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

I think that maybe people should stop having all these preconceived notions about all these $40 games being $5, so that they'd stop being disappointed.

[quote name='brettsp']I agree about age of conan, the first 20 levels are awesome. You can easily do it in two days and is totally worth 5.00. Once you get past level 20 it's not so great.[/QUOTE]

Edited that for you there :)

Picked up Titan's Quest and I'm pondering NWN2. They've had some pretty decent deals :)

[quote name='whats_the_word']Riddick is still up..worth $5? o_0[/QUOTE]

yeah riddick is well worth it, its an awesome game.

I'll definitely have to pick up Neverwinter Nights 2. $5 for the creation set, plus a pretty good campaign seems like a good deal to me.

[quote name='starshipvelcro']this is probably a dumb question, but do the MMO's come with a month of playtime or no?[/QUOTE]

yes they do

Week 5 is War theme. I'm guessing Call of Duty 4 or World at War. Maybe Red Alert 3. I figure they wouldn't do Fallout 3... or would they?

[quote name='Archgarth']I will plug Age of Conan as well, as I will probably be picking it up myself. Not a good long-term MMO, but the early game (which will take you that first month) is supposed to be outstanding.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the noob area of Conan is really great. It's just damn shame the rest of the game doesn't live up to it. If you have a nice PC it looks great too. 5 bucks seems like a good price to play the game for a month. If a sub was 5 bucks a month I would still be playing it.

[quote name='ryanflucas']Week 5 is War theme. I'm guessing Call of Duty 4 or World at War. Maybe Red Alert 3. I figure they wouldn't do Fallout 3... or would they?[/QUOTE]

Nice thoughts, but those are probably a tier above what we'll actually get

[quote name='xycury']Someone freaking buy NW2 and find out if it works with Retail expansions!!![/QUOTE]

Rock paper scissors. loser buys it. you go first.

[quote name='xycury']lol

dynamite?

anyways, after scourging the interweb, an amazon post is here.

http://www.amazon.com/Direct2Drive-...ONI2QYO3VWC6/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000R2WIE2

user states it will work.

but I like a manual, printed so I'm going to have to spend just a tad more to get it.[/QUOTE]

The correct answer was "Spock." ;)

I'm tempted by AC: DC. Probably won't bite tho, I don't really do any pc gaming at all (except for the occasional bought of WoW).

I've found many places that don't allow downloads from outside the US. Does anyone know if I can I join this even though I live in Japan? I think I may like to try some of these out for so little cash.

EDIT: Answered my own question. Clicking the title itself takes you to the description and a big red box listing where downloads are available. Not too happy that Japan gets cut out often, but I did find a couple that will work here.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think that maybe people should stop having all these preconceived notions about all these $40 games being $5, so that they'd stop being disappointed.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, you're right. Mass Effect was the only game that kept getting mentioned as a hopeful inclusion, so it wasn't too bad in terms of "preconceived notions."

It made sense that it wasn't included, though - Not with Mass Effect 2's bundle offer in place.

For those asking, Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut is a great $5 buy. Especially since the PC version has some extra missions to break up some of the more repetitive parts. If you're really concerned about D2D, though, you can always grab the physical version for an extra $5-7.

Anyone know if Assassin's Creed works on single-core processors? I'm still using my single-core 3.6ghz processor. My videocard and RAM are more than enough...

I just don't wanna spend $5 on a game I won't be able to play.

[quote name='Spacepest']*is a steam avoider*[/QUOTE]

You avoid Steam? That sucks for you. There's some mighty fine deals to be had there, and the client works perfectly fine. You're just paranoid.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Hahaha, you're right. Mass Effect was the only game that kept getting mentioned as a hopeful inclusion, so it wasn't too bad in terms of "preconceived notions."[/QUOTE]
A lot of people mentioned The Witcher, too.

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']Anyone know if Assassin's Creed works on single-core processors.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, it doesn't.

I dunno, their D2D just seems shoddy to me. For instance, I see their sweepstakes thing, but the link they tell me to go to is broken. I'm also reading people having problems with their website, etc. I'll just stick with Steam. Nothings really grabbing me by the balls, anyway.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge'] Sorry, it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

No need to apologize! I appreciate the heads up. Saved me the 5 dollars--I'll just buy it for my 360 before the second game comes out. :p

[quote name='runtheplacered']I dunno, their D2D just seems shoddy to me. For instance, I see their sweepstakes thing, but the link they tell me to go to is broken. I'm also reading people having problems with their website, etc. I'll just stick with Steam. Nothings really grabbing me by the balls, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I haven't exactly been blown away by their site or their service.

[quote name='runtheplacered']I dunno, their D2D just seems shoddy to me. For instance, I see their sweepstakes thing, but the link they tell me to go to is broken. I'm also reading people having problems with their website, etc. I'll just stick with Steam. Nothings really grabbing me by the balls, anyway.[/QUOTE]

That's why the only deal here I've picked up on is the steam activatable SR2.

As someone that has now bought two games from D2D and didn't run into any service-related errors, I can say that it's not bad. You activate the games and they run. For $5.31 per game, I know I'm not locked in or in a position to lose big if the site shut down. However, I'm sticking with Steam, especially for games above $10. Plus, I still prefer getting physical copies of titles whenever I can, just for the sake of balance and security.

Since this sale is celebrating their 5th year, I'd say Direct2Drive is going fairly well, and, with it being a part of IGN, there's not as much of a chance of D2D losing its STEAM abruptly. IGN can always turn around and sell the service, but there's no reason to entertain such ideas right now.

I prefer Steam, but D2D's alright for what it's trying to do: "No frills" digital distribution.

[quote name='mattrobertsjr']is civ 4 worth getting and also does anyone have The Settlers - Heritage of Kings , wondering how this game is also.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Civ 4 is absolutely worth getting.

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']No need to apologize! I appreciate the heads up. Saved me the 5 dollars--I'll just buy it for my 360 before the second game comes out. :p[/QUOTE]

I do believe he's a-trollin'

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']Wait, who's trolling? I asked a question and he answered me. Just being polite![/QUOTE]

Don't listen to H2O. I have a reputation as a joker who just do what he please, and while most CAG users are able to tell the difference between when I'm fucking around, and when I'm actually being sincere and helpful, there is a handful of internet-is-serious-business jackoffs who, ironically enough, insist on trolling absolutely every single attempt I ever make to be serious or helpful to anyone on CAG.

Indeed, the game requires a dual-core processor. There was actually a mild uproar about this, when the PC version came out. The specific requirements are as follows:
assassinscreedwikipedia.png

[quote name='TheInfiniteAmmo']Again, my thanks! Saved me $5--I'll spend it on the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion instead.[/QUOTE]

You're most welcome. :)

Everyone forgets that steam was a whole lot of mediocre when it launched. Missing good deals on good games because the D2D client isnt as mature as steam is silly. Not only has steam has a few more years on it, but valve has a whole lot more cash to throw at its development. D2D is fine for what it is, selling me games on the cheap. Isnt that the promise of digital distribution anyway? No box, no manual, no retail markup?

That being said, the rpg sales is weak beyond belief, very disappointing after 2 solid weeks.

Anyone else have NWN2 disappear on them? I still see Storm of Zehir but they seemingly killed the page for NWN2 and took it off of their $5 sale list.

[quote name='smackattack']Everyone forgets that steam was a whole lot of mediocre when it launched. Missing good deals on good games because the D2D client isnt as mature as steam is silly. Not only has steam has a few more years on it, but valve has a whole lot more cash to throw at its development. D2D is fine for what it is, selling me games on the cheap.[/quote]

Okay, first off, D2D has been selling games for longer than Valve has (Steam didn't start distributing third-party games until late 2005, and D2D has, obviously, been selling games for 5 full years now). Second, there isn't any D2D client. And third, Direct2Drive is ultimately owned by fucking News Corporation, as in, Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation, the one with 64,000 employees and ~33 billion dollars in annual revenue. They have plenty of cash to "throw at its development."

Isnt that the promise of digital distribution anyway? No box, no manual, no retail markup?
Not necessarily, seeing as how must DD places launch games at the same prices as retail, give or take.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Prophecize']Anyone else have NWN2 disappear on them? I still see Storm of Zehir but they seemingly killed the page for NWN2 and took it off of their $5 sale list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it disappeared for me too. I was just about to buy it, but I got distracted and now its gone :drool:.

[quote name='smackattack']Missing good deals on good games because the D2D client isnt as mature as steam is silly.[/QUOTE]

There IS no client. You just download the files and then it's up to you to keep track of them, tucked away on a hard drive somewhere, or you have to remember years from now, "Oh yeah, I bought Riddick off D2D; I can go back to that site and re-download it." I would actually prefer a client than the "simplified" solution.

Go to D2D's site and "Your account" isn't even at the top. It's halfway down the page for some reason. That goes against the first freaking day of Web Design 101.

[quote name='Tillawen']Yeah, it disappeared for me too. I was just about to buy it, but I got distracted and now its gone :drool:.[/QUOTE]

It's weird, not only is it gone from the sale, but it's gone from the site completely! I just searched for it and it shows up in the search, but when you click on it, it redirects you to the home page. It was even a quick link on the side of the home page with a link to add to your cart, and when I did that it brought up my empty cart.

Man, I think people just look for reasons to complain even for $5.

I've bought 5 games out of this deal w/o any hassle and I think it is great. I like having the complete setup file in one place. Just put a copy of your receipt with the code in the folder and you should be good for the duration.

Steam is good too.

I think everyone's just used to Steam and its more convenient, polished setup. Like I said earlier, D2D is "no frills" and isn't going to win one over like Steam.

For me, downloading, activating, and directing over to Steam works. Not as ideal as knowing it's a Steam purchase, but second best since I get the games I want at a discount. (And isn't that what CAG is for?)

[quote name='Vegan']There IS no client. You just download the files and then it's up to you to keep track of them, tucked away on a hard drive somewhere, or you have to remember years from now, "Oh yeah, I bought Riddick off D2D; I can go back to that site and re-download it." I would actually prefer a client than the "simplified" solution.

Go to D2D's site and "Your account" isn't even at the top. It's halfway down the page for some reason. That goes against the first freaking day of Web Design 101.[/QUOTE]

The web design isn't the best, that's for sure. But you can't beat the prices for these games though. And I do think that being responsible for ones stuff isn't a bad thing. But buying boxed games would solve the problem. You see the box and know you have it! ;)

I like the fact you only need to be online to activate the game. No "phoning home" everytime you play. And more and more games on Steam have DRM on top of the Steam client. Double DRM doubles the odds of problems.

I do have a few games on Steam and never had any problems with them. But I also have no problem using another DD service. Blind loyality to any one company is bad in the long run to both that company and the consumer.

bread's done
Back