War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='charlescheese']It's weird, not only is it gone from the sale, but it's gone from the site completely! I just searched for it and it shows up in the search, but when you click on it, it redirects you to the home page. It was even a quick link on the side of the home page with a link to add to your cart, and when I did that it brought up my empty cart.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but the same thing happens when I attempt to go to the page for the complete NWN2 bundle, just redirects to homepage. I really hope the base game comes back before the sale is done. It and the expansion are the only things I wanted out of this week's selection :cry:

Damn I already own Titan Quest but I am so tempted to get this one since the expansion comes with it as well.

Alot great PC titles to choose from its so hard to find the time to play them all.

Looking for some advice here. I'm not really a PC gamer. But I played the PS3 demo of Civilization and was hooked. So I plan on getting Civ IV from this deal. How are the other Sid Meier games? I was thinking about trying Pirates out and getting Railroads to share with my Thomas the Tank Engine crazy nephew. Anyone familiar with those? Also, is Empire Earth worth it these days if I already have Civ IV and AoE II to play through?

I noticed some people talking about activating games on Steam. Which of the games on sale is that an option for? Also, If I want all the Civ IV expansions, is there a cheap way to get those? Or would it be cheaper in the end to just buy the complete package on Amazon for $38?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I read the last 40 something posts and don't fancy going back through the previous 300. Thanks.

[quote name='MorPhiend'] I noticed some people talking about activating games on Steam. Which of the games on sale is that an option for? [/QUOTE]

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601 That's the list of all games that have keys that can be activated from steam. I believe Saints Row 2 was the only game on the list that is on the sale, and I think I heard others say they removed that from the sale at the end of last week. Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions.

I'm having some difficulty getting the download manager installed on Vista. Using IE8. Anyone else have any problems?

Edit: Oh, wow. Just click on the download manager button at the bottom far left instead of trying to let the process work itself automatically when you click download game.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Looking for some advice here. I'm not really a PC gamer. But I played the PS3 demo of Civilization and was hooked. So I plan on getting Civ IV from this deal. How are the other Sid Meier games? I was thinking about trying Pirates out and getting Railroads to share with my Thomas the Tank Engine crazy nephew. Anyone familiar with those? Also, is Empire Earth worth it these days if I already have Civ IV and AoE II to play through?

[/QUOTE]

Sid Meier makes really good games. He has a way of just figuring out how to focus on solid core gameplay, and cutting out anything that isn't fun.
Both Pirates and Railroads have demos, it is best to try them out as they will show you a pretty close experience to what to expect from the full product.
If you want the Civ IV expansions, the complete edition (with colonization) is currently the cheapest.
Empire Earth has a demo, but it's just not worth your time compared to what else you could play.

It was replaced on the list by Dawn of War: GoTY Edition, yeah. Then again there seems to be all sorts of weirdness with games appearing, disappearing and then reappearing later on that sale list. NWN2 being the latest example. It was completely missing from the site for most of the day. Then there are a few games like Manhunt which are on sale for $5 but have never been obviously listed at all. Best thing to do is just look at the complete list of games available for under $20 sorted by price.

i purchased the titan quest bundle, and elven legacy...both very solid games for only paying 10.00 total...really interested in seeing what they offer for indie week and wargame week

Any up for some Titan Quest together? I downloaded it as well -- seems to be more fun with a party though. Especially if we are all newbies that will be starting from level 1. If so, send me a PM and we can get something together. I have tonight free so I'm down if some CAGers are up for it.

[quote name='bassec']Any up for some Titan Quest together? I downloaded it as well -- seems to be more fun with a party though. Especially if we are all newbies that will be starting from level 1. If so, send me a PM and we can get something together. I have tonight free so I'm down if some CAGers are up for it.[/QUOTE]

I've really enjoyed my time with TQ. Wish I could start over at level 1 and play some with the community, unfortunately I'm traveling for work until Thanksgiving and my work laptop would explode if I tried to run this game on it.

On a related note, does anybody know when your 30 day trial period begins for MMOs purchased from D2D? I want to go ahead and buy Conan but not if my month trial period will start from the day I make the purchase.

[quote name='bassec']Any up for some Titan Quest together? I downloaded it as well -- seems to be more fun with a party though. Especially if we are all newbies that will be starting from level 1. If so, send me a PM and we can get something together. I have tonight free so I'm down if some CAGers are up for it.[/QUOTE]

I'm down for some Titan Quest and might join anyone looking to group up for the free month of Age of Conan.

[quote name='RColaUAB']I've really enjoyed my time with TQ. Wish I could start over at level 1 and play some with the community, unfortunately I'm traveling for work until Thanksgiving and my work laptop would explode if I tried to run this game on it.

On a related note, does anybody know when your 30 day trial period begins for MMOs purchased from D2D? I want to go ahead and buy Conan but not if my month trial period will start from the day I make the purchase.[/QUOTE]

When you register, not when you purchase.

which games can you relink to steam? I might bite on some if I can do that.

Edit: so just Saint's Row 2? I'm a little under the weather so please pardon me if I missed the list in my search.

I'd be down for trying out Titan Quest tonight. Just a few stipulations though, my Internet connection has been a bit flaky lately, so I can't guarantee that I'd be able to maintain connection unfortunately. Also, I haven't had the time to download the expansion pack for Titan Quest. Another thing I'm a complete "noob" to the game, so I will be completely lost.. Other than that, if y'all are still looking for another person, I'm game.

Sounds good, feel free to jump in. Remember, look for Psylion in the game window.

Also, I don't have the exp pack either. No worries.

Have you started the game yet? I don't see it anywhere on my list at the moment. Not sure if I need to forward my ports or anything, if it isn't showing up when it should. I'm hoping it will just work without having to fiddle with anything :bouncy:.

Oh my god pleeeeeease stop asking what games can be added to Steam. For the love of all that is good and holy. There are like 10 games in existence that can do this.

My PC is so outdated I have to pass on these a I would want to experience them at a higher quality then it can provide at the moment. But some great deals there!

[quote name='Vegan']Oh my god pleeeeeease stop asking what games can be added to Steam. For the love of all that is good and holy. There are like 10 games in existence that can do this.[/QUOTE]
Well more than 10 but seriously. If it's not on this list you can't use the key with Steam.

[quote name='nexen']which games can you relink to steam? I might bite on some if I can do that.

Edit: so just Saint's Row 2? I'm a little under the weather so please pardon me if I missed the list in my search.[/QUOTE]

Actually Prey is there, too.

I've got a staggeringly large backlog of games. It's getting into autumn/Christmastime when all the big games come out.

Yet last night I bought both Neverwinter Nights 2 and Titan's Quest. Two games with dozens of hours of gameplay apiece. Add that to Splinter Cell, Riddick, and SR2.

Maybe I should stop sleeping or something.

I'm not sure if it's already been covered in this thread or not, but I figured I'd post this anyways.

I can confirm that if you own a RETAIL copy of Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, it WILL work with the Direct 2 Drive version of Neverwinter Nights 2. I download NWN2 last night and installed it, then installed my retail copy of Mask of the Betrayer, and it's showing up fine in my NWN2 game. I haven't actually tested it, but it installed and updated fine, and it gave me the new race options that the original NWN2 didn't have.

So yeah, figured I'd throw that out there for those who maybe bought the first expansion by itself, but never got the original game.

[quote name='BMXJouster']I'm not sure if it's already been covered in this thread or not, but I figured I'd post this anyways.

I can confirm that if you own a RETAIL copy of Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, it WILL work with the Direct 2 Drive version of Neverwinter Nights 2. I download NWN2 last night and installed it, then installed my retail copy of Mask of the Betrayer, and it's showing up fine in my NWN2 game. I haven't actually tested it, but it installed and updated fine, and it gave me the new race options that the original NWN2 didn't have.

So yeah, figured I'd throw that out there for those who maybe bought the first expansion by itself, but never got the original game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update!

With the exception of Saint Rows 2 it looks all of the previous titles are still available at the 5 dollar price point plus a few not shown on the main page such as empire earth gold, empire earth 2 and the expansion (5 each) and empire earth 3. Might be worth checking under value games to see non advertised ones.

thief also is no longer available for $5, that might have been pulled due to the direct2drive version playing poorly with vista

[quote name='vherub']thief also is no longer available for $5, that might have been pulled due to the direct2drive version playing poorly with vista[/QUOTE]
Thanks I missed that one. Hmmmm... That's not good news that it isn't working well with vista.

What's your opinion on The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (specifically the PC versions) fellow CAGs?

[quote name='maiku']I'm still hoping Warhammer 40K GOTY will pop up again.[/QUOTE]
Since Direct2Drive has a very liberal interpretation for each genre, it may end up being a part of War Games week.

I don't care what anyone says, GTA: Vice City isn't an RPG. You can, however, tack that category onto San Andreas.

[quote name='Hostile']What's your opinion on The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (specifically the PC versions) fellow CAGs?[/QUOTE]

They're easily worth 5 dollars each. Get them if you like stealthy games (especially the remake of Chronicles of Riddick).

With less than 48 hours to go, what do people expect for Indie Games week?

Personally, I expect Braid and World of Goo to show up, especially since they've both already appeared as Steam Weekend Deals.

I'm hoping The Maw is among the list, since $5.31 would be a nice deal on the game.

I'm hoping for AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! or Crayon Physics Deluxe. Trine woudl be nice, but I don't expect it. Frankly, I don't expect any of these.

This is wild speculation, and it probably won't happen, but it would be amazing if Osmos showed up.

More realistically: Yes, perhaps Braid and World of Goo. And perhaps Cogs or Zeno Clash.

*shrug*

I'd be happy if both Braid and Zeno Clash made it in there. But chances are it'll be something like Madden 09 since EA is such an indie developer - about as indie as GTA is RPG. :lol:

Yeah, Zeno Clash...that seems like a good one. They'll probably throw Cryostasis in there.

Maybe World of Goo will be there, Blueberry Mountain or whatever.

Just a heads up to anyone who is interested in Assassin's Creed and has a 64-bit OS. In order to install the game, you have to use D2D's download manager and then hit the play button after it finishes downloading. If you download the zip file and try to install it directly, it won't work.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Yeah, Zeno Clash...that seems like a good one. They'll probably throw Cryostasis in there.

Maybe World of Goo will be there, Blueberry Mountain or whatever.[/QUOTE]
D2D doesn't offer Blueberry Garden. Plus, it's only $5 in most places anyway. (This includes Steam.) Sadly, I don't recommend the game.

I am interested in Noitu Love 2, but I'm disappointed that a game of that type doesn't offer 2-Player support. Plus, I remember playing Legend of Princess, and, while entertaining, the game didn't run well since it was limited to only Software Rendering. Does anyone know if Noitu Love 2 suffers from this, as well?

bread's done
Back