War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mikey777']WTF is up with Direct2Drive's payment system. It seems like a random crapshoot whether it accepts my credit card/paypal account or not. Last week, no. A few days ago, yes. Today, no. Get your site together, FFS.

Edit:

Not just you.[/QUOTE]

I am having issues as well. Customer service said they fixed it, but I logged in and it still says I have used my credit card three times and failed so I can no longer use that payment option.

And I would rather not use paypal, but I did try, and that didn't work either.

I'm frankly rather surprised as I mentioned prior, I have never had an issue with paying using my credit card online.

[quote name='AlphaConqerer']I am having issues as well. Customer service said they fixed it, but I logged in and it still says I have used my credit card three times and failed so I can no longer use that payment option.

And I would rather not use paypal, but I did try, and that didn't work either.

I'm frankly rather surprised as I mentioned prior, I have never had an issue with paying using my credit card online.[/QUOTE]

I just used paypal, and it seemed to work fine with me. I used FireFox to pay, if that helps.

It wouldn't let me pay with anything, so I created another account under a different E-Mail.

It let my original card through because it only blocks your acct from paying, not that card.

[quote name='DrMunkee']I just used paypal, and it seemed to work fine with me. I used FireFox to pay, if that helps.[/QUOTE]
I started with firefox, then tried paying with ie. Neither one worked. But thanks for the suggestion.

@necrojustice: OK guess I'll try that, I just dont like having to create multiple accounts.

EDIT: OK I tried making a new profile but it still didn't work. Thanks for the idea though.

Any idea whether the D2D Mount&Blade is patchable / moddable?

edit: Well the patch they have up is latest one. I still don't know about mods though. But it looks like many of them are data-only, so they should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also had trouble paying for a title. Just tried to buy the expansion to NWN 2 and keep getting a server error. This is like the third or fourth time I've tried with no success in the past 3 days. using paypal, btw.

[quote name='Crazyhowie']Does anyone have any decent experiences with The Path or Gish?[/QUOTE]

I picked them both up for few weeks back in the Steam indie pack. I haven't tired Gish yet but it's supposed to be a good platformer.

I'd stay way from The Path, it's one of those "game are art and we need to create an symbolic experience" except the experience is very dull and boring. If you are looking for a game The Path isn't it. If you are looking for symbolism with deep meaing, I guess you could find something thought provoking there after you get high and try playing it. But I don't think it's worth your $5.

[quote name='Springheeled Jack']For five dollars there's absolutely no reason not to. It's an absolutely stellar strategy must-have. Bear in mind, however, that in all of CivIV's greatness, the Beyond the Sword expansion pack makes it exponentially better. So if you buy it and enjoy it, I HIGHLY recommend snagging, at minimum, that expansion.

I love the game with a passion, but for my time restraints and strategy skills, I actually liked the console Civ:Revolutions better. People always argue with me, but I liked the console take on it in terms of just simpler fun.[/QUOTE]

Alright I caved :cool:. Thanks for the recommendation.

So, what games can be activated on Steam, so far?

Saints Row 2 and Defense Grid?

I know some people have been having problems but personally I have had none paying for games and the games I have downloaded went at about 1.5MB/s

[quote name='Crazyhowie']Does anyone have any decent experiences with The Path or Gish?[/QUOTE]

Personally not a fan of the Path ... I bought it and regret it. It's definitely a game that's heavy on the symbolism and atmosphere ... I even hesitate to call it a game. It's an experience ... but it requires a particular taste, and as the earlier poster mentioned it's more of the 'games as art' style than 'games as fun.' Unless you really really like goth girls walking through creepy forests (which only lead to one place mind you) then there are several other options that will give you far more bang for your $5.

World of Goo and Mount & Blade would be at the top of my list, but I guess it really depends what you're in the mood for and if you buy Indie games to be different ... perhaps the Path is for you then, I just know it wasn't for me.

[quote name='crumrin114']Any idea whether the D2D Mount&Blade is patchable / moddable?

edit: Well the patch they have up is latest one. I still don't know about mods though. But it looks like many of them are data-only, so they should work.[/QUOTE]
Assuming they give you a CD key when you buy it, you could just download the latest version from the creator's site and register it with that key. That's what I did with the Steam version, at least.

For those of you who have picked up Mount & Blade, good on you! The rest of you, buy it.

There is an expansion on the way that several of us are beta testing, pure multiplayer awesomeness. If you head over to the Taleworlds forums I believe they are still accepting applications for the beta.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Whoa, the Penumbra Collection for $5? Everyone needs to get on this ASAP if you want in on one scary ride.[/QUOTE]

Jumped on Penumbra. Thanks for the heads up.
Also,Titan Quest is now going for $19.95 again.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Whoa, the Penumbra Collection for $5? Everyone needs to get on this ASAP if you want in on one scary ride.[/QUOTE]

How is it compared to fear?

[quote name='Anhmeister']... Also,Titan Quest is now going for $19.95 again.[/QUOTE]

Shoot, I was just about to pick that one up. I guess procrastination and good deals do not go together well. :)

[quote name='Shinygamer']How is it compared to fear?[/QUOTE]

It's not even remotely like FEAR.

Penumbra isn't an FPS. It's a first-person adventure/puzzle horror game, not really fundamentally dissimilar to Myst 5, for instance, but with some action tossed in. There are enemies, and ways to kill them, but there are no guns. It's an incredibly tense game.

[quote name='Hostile']The demo for Defense Grid is long enough where I played until I was satisfied (i.e. bored).[/QUOTE]

Just to be fair.. I've got several Steam-friends that said just the same thing - then they bought it and ended up spending dozens of hours playing it. ;) I think the Steam demo mostly centers around pre-pathed areas whereas the full game has quite a few open levels that allow you to path on your own.

got defense grid which WORKS ON STEAM.

i got the path for $3 a while back and enjoyed it. to say anything about the game itself would spoil the experience, but know that game artfags like me would find things to like about it.

[quote name='Brak']So, what games can be activated on Steam, so far?

Saints Row 2 and Defense Grid?[/QUOTE]

I know a few people here said they bought Saint's Row 2; has anyone actually played it yet? Is the PC port really as bad as the reviews say?

Given that it's still $5 I'm tempted to bite, but if it's garbage then I'll wait and hope I can catch the 360 version on the cheap later.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I know a few people here said they bought Saint's Row 2; has anyone actually played it yet? Is the PC port really as bad as the reviews say?

Given that it's still $5 I'm tempted to bite, but if it's garbage then I'll wait and hope I can catch the 360 version on the cheap later.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty bad when your driving fast it stutters quite a bit for me, I only have a 9800gtx though.

I've had no problems with saints row 2 on my pc, about 6 hours in.
No stuttering, no crashes, no problems or low framerates. Control is fine with a wireless 360 pad.
Haven't tried online co-op.
My system is a year old: e8400, radeon 4850, 4gb memory, all at stock speed

I was put off by the reviews as well, but really, there is nothing wrong with the pc version. Only pain is driving and shooting at the same time, but that is maybe 1% of the game.

Sick deal. thanks for keeping it up to date!
smile11.gif

[quote name='vherub']I've had no problems with saints row 2 on my pc, about 6 hours in.
No stuttering, no crashes, no problems or low framerates. Control is fine with a wireless 360 pad.
Haven't tried online co-op.
My system is a year old: e8400, radeon 4850, 4gb memory, all at stock speed

I was put off by the reviews as well, but really, there is nothing wrong with the pc version. Only pain is driving and shooting at the same time, but that is maybe 1% of the game.[/QUOTE]

What resolution are you running it at?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I know a few people here said they bought Saint's Row 2; has anyone actually played it yet? Is the PC port really as bad as the reviews say?

Given that it's still $5 I'm tempted to bite, but if it's garbage then I'll wait and hope I can catch the 360 version on the cheap later.[/QUOTE]

Once I got used to the controls (feels a bit weird compared to GTAIV, especially the driving) it became a rather enjoyable experience. I'd say pick it up if you think you'll like it.

Who's hilarious idea was it to tack on "D2D Girls of Gaming" to the bottom of Indie Week's choices? I was hoping for a nice deal on a few Tomb Raider games, but it's literally a slideshow for $5.31.

I just might berate anyone who admits to purchasing this.

Yeah I noticed that and chuckled to myself as well.
Anyhow, update, I finally got customer service to fix the issue with my credit card, and am downloading now.

Got Defense Grid, World of Goo and Riddick.

It's just too bad I couldn't get NWN 2 while it was available at $5, because of the credit issue and the subsequent delay. But it might still pop back up.

[quote name='Vegan']Oh fuck not again[/QUOTE]
I'm just making sure, stupid.

And look: Despite what everyone has said so far, you can also activate Zeno Clash on Steam.

Glad I asked.

After trying the Steam demo for Defense Grid, I'm getting it. I was playing the last demo level and thinking about how I could placed my towers differently and realizing I forgot to upgrade my towers and that's when I knew this will be a nice late-night timekiller when you don't want to go to bed like Peggle was.

It's funny to see people bitching about how these games aren't worth $5 when they'll provide more play time than it'd take to eat a fast food lunch you'd pay more than a Lincoln for. And anyone who isn't picking up games like Bioshock for $5 needs to have their computer confiscated and be forced to play a Virtual Boy for eternity.

[quote name='BGriffith']anyone excited for war week tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Very much so. I am really hoping one of the Call of Duty series is part of this deal! Call of Duty 4 is my prediction (and what I am hoping).

[quote name='Zanpakuto']Very much so. I am really hoping one of the Call of Duty series is part of this deal! Call of Duty 4 is my prediction (and what I am hoping).[/QUOTE]

I second that. I have wanted the PC version for sometime now.

Edit: Picked up Bioshock, going to finally play through it.

The PC version of the game was a farmed-out port that got botched all to hell. Even after being patched, it still runs lousy at decent resolutions on more-than-worthy rigs. I loved the PS3 version and was very tempted to snag a copy for my PC so I could play co-op with my brother; but after researching, I've determined that not even a $5 pricetag can entice me.

Oh, and I might add: the team in charge of the PC port have stated that they're done supporting it.

bread's done
Back