War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ddrpower']D2D almost took my money several times during the course of the month. Civ 4, Titan Quest, EVE, Company of Heroes, Saints Row 2, almost lost my wallet to those games. The only reason that I couldn't was because, well, I didn't have anything in the wallet.[/QUOTE]

That kinda means it's already lost eh?

[quote name='Vegan']I won't. Now that this thing is all done, I can go back to ignoring them.[/QUOTE]

Have you had a bad experience, or are you just wary of how expansion packs and mods work with their games?

I bought a whole slew of games. Even ones that are a genre I don't typically play. I am enjoying Neverwinter Nights 2 immensely. This really was a fantastic promotion.

For those of you getting a strange "transaction denied" error if you were using Paypal - my friend disovered you will get this error if your IP does not match the location PayPal has for your address. (He lives in SC but is working in TN for a few months). He talked to customer service to get it cleared up.

I see so many people saying bad things about D2D, but I have never had an issue and I've bought plenty from them. In fact, they even refunded my purchase of Cities XL after I realized there was a monthly fee for online play.

Guess I've just been lucky.

I'm downloading CoH right now. I just used my credit card to buy it instead of paypal. Now I need to wait for the monstrous 7.7 GB download. :eek:

I bought NWN2 and the expansion and have been playing the heck out of it for the past week. Also got a friend who had never played Bioshock to pick that up for $5. Great sale.

I've been playing Titan Quest since I got it on sale. Totally worth $5. Also picked up Riddick, NWN2, Civ4, and Pirates, but I haven't got to most of them yet. I still like my Steam, but this was a great sale.

NW2 went back up in price it seems yet the expansion is still $5 :whistle2:(

which is too bad because I finally got my first paycheck and could afford to buy it now...

The D2D has been pretty sweet so far. So much I have wanted from this deal, but so far grabbed Stalker SOC and WiC to get started with. All I can say though is deals like this make it wonderful to be a cheap ass gamer for sure. As much as I wanted WiC, I always held out, and now the base + expansion for $5? Stalker for for $5? Doesn't get any better than that, and they were well worth the wait.

Even though I've already got Company of Heroes, haven't finished it cuz I suck at RTS games and had little interest in the expansion - for reference: I HAVE NEVER FINISHED STARCRAFT AND I BOUGHT THAT IN 1998!!!!!!! - I'm thinking of picking up CoH Gold for the simple reason that it's already patched to 2.5.0.0.

To update a retail v1.0 DVD to the current level of patchwork requires SEVENTEEN (17!!!) patches weighing 3.93 GB! For some insane reason, they can't/won't do comprehensive roll-up patches, thus forcing gamers to follow this process:

* Install game from DVD
* Patch 1.0 to 1.4
* Patch 1.4 to 1.5
* 1.5.0 to 1.5.1
* 1.5.1. to 1.6.0
* 1.6.0 to 1.6.1
* 1.6.1 to 1.7.0
* 1.7.0 to 1.7.1
* 1.7.1 to 2.1.0.1
* 2.1.0.1 to 2.2.0.1
* 2.2.0.1 to 2.2.0.2
* 2.2.0.2 to 2.3.0.0
* 2.3.0.0 to 2.3.0.1
* 2.3.0.1 to 2.4.0.0
* 2.4.0.0 to 2.5.0.0
* 2.5.0.0 to 2.5.0.1
* 2.5.0.1 to 2.5.0.2
* 2.5.0.2 to 2.6.0.0

Somewhere along the line, about 3/4 of the way, they install a BitTorrent app to DL patches and install them automatically, but if you have a UAC-enabled OS (Vista/Win7), they'll fail unless you're sitting there to allow them or turn off UAC. While that helps track down what's needed, it doesn't help those doing the first dozen patches.

What totally blows, too, is that somewhere around v2.3, they force you to log into an account even if you have zero intention of playing online. It was such a PITMFA that by the time I got done DLing and applying the patches, I wanted to road trip to Relic's offices and burn them to the ground! I think my time is worth five bones. Too bad this is the best way to handle it.

Need some opinions on some games.. Battlestations: Pacific? I watched some videos and it looks ok anyone have any thoughts on it? Beyond Good and Evil? Is it really as good as people say? Is the story really that good? Max Payne 1+2, Will they feel dated? Penumbra? I still can't get a feel for exactly what kind of game it is...? As for Chronicles of Riddick... If you are considering it.. GET it.. It is really enjoyable.

Picked up World in Conflict Gold and Supreme Commander Gold. I've been waiting on WiC + expansion for a while, great price, can't wait to play it. I would have picked up Company of Heroes if it included Tales of Valor, since I already have the original and Opposing Fronts.

Well I just got Mount & Blade for 5 bucks since it was still on sale. Hopefully its pretty good, but for 5 bucks you cant really go wrong

[quote name='DirkBelig']...
To update a retail v1.0 DVD to the current level of patchwork requires SEVENTEEN (17!!!) patches weighing 3.93 GB! For some insane reason, they can't/won't do comprehensive roll-up patches, thus forcing gamers to follow this process:

...[/QUOTE]

Yeah the patching process for CoH is terrible so I never uninstall in from my computer.

Hmmm... WoC is a bit tempting at that price. Not to mention Riddick. With horrid copy protection to begin with, how can D2D be worse?

Does the D2D version of Battlestations connect to Games for Windows LIVE?

[quote name='Brak']Does the D2D version of Battlestations connect to Games for Windows LIVE?[/QUOTE]

yes, when you purchase it, d2d gives the games for windows live key.

[quote name='Xealot42']Yeah the patching process for CoH is terrible so I never uninstall in from my computer.[/QUOTE]I'm moving to my new computer in a couple of weeks (shifting the moment retail Win7 drops) and discovered the horrors of patching up while I was benchmarking and shaking things down a couple of weeks ago. I copypastaed the string from my Facebook rant on the subject. I had to chase around to three or four sites trying to find the patches. It was madness.

I actually didn't go too insane on this one. Only picked up 3 games total:

Supreme Commander
Riddick
Penumbra

Either had all the others or just wasn't interested. Overall though, excellent sale. Hope Penumbra turns out as scary as everyone's mentioned.

In for Battlestations Pacific, was wanting it on Xbox, but missed it at Target clearance, so for $5, can't go wrong for hopefully the same experience.

Also grabbing Mount and Blade and maybe WiC while I'm at it.

Nice sale. Games I would have picked up if I didn't already have them for PC or on other platform:

Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Civ 4, Pirates, X-Com, NWN and expansions, CoH Gold, Supreme Commander, Farcry Riddick, the list goes on and on. Nice sale for the PC gamer, hats off to D2D.

So far I have purchased GTA Vice City, BioShock, Conan and World in Conflict! Thanks CAG for the heads up on this. Greatly appreciated as always! Much love and Big Ups! Peace

I have Bioshock already, but I haven't played it. I hope I win, so I can spend 20 years clearing hard drive space for all the games.

[quote name='eastx']Have you had a bad experience, or are you just wary of how expansion packs and mods work with their games?[/QUOTE]

He's a big fan of Steam. I don't think he's said anything good about D2D in this entire thread. Now some reasons are valid, but still D2D has it's good points that he won't admit to.

[quote name='Unicorntard']How's World of Goo? Im thinking of getting it.[/QUOTE]

Great Indie game. It's a very original gelatinous-construction-puzzle type game with a lot of real nice touches. The game keeps it interesting, never gets overly difficult and rewards replaying levels with bonus balls for the 'free play' area.

It would be hard not to like this game. Well worth $5.

I've been picking up a lot of great games with this deal. So far I've gotten Beyond Good & Evil, Bioshock, Company of Heroes, Civilization 4, Pirates, World in Conflict, World of Goo and the X-Com Bundle. Great games all around, my favorite so far is definitely World in Conflict.

Company of Heroes for $5...why not.

I just got done with the $5 Assassins Creed they had a few weeks back. It was decent.

So far I have gotten Riddick, Defense Grid, and Serious Sam. I am considering Mount and Blade and Company of Heroes.

Well think I am finally done with this so my final list should be....

1. Supreme Commander Gold
  2. World In Conflict Gold
  3. MLB Front Office Manager
  4. Battlestations Pacific
  5. Codename: Panzers - Cold War
  6. Mount & Blade
  7. Defense Grid: The Awakening
  8. SEGA Rally Revo
  9. Penumbra Collection
  10. Assassin's Creed Director's Cut
  11. Elven Legacy
  12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  13. Frontlines: Fuel of War
  14. Saints Row 2
  15. Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
  16. Sid Meier's Pirates!
  17. Sid Merier's Railroads!
  18. The Settlers: Heritage of Kings
Think that is everything. Not sure what it converts to in Canadian since credit card exchange rates are different from the normal rate plus over the weeks that would have changed. But 18 games (Including a few with expansions) for $90USD including Battlestations Pacific that I almost bought just before this sale started for $50CDN and decided to hold off on the chance it would be one of the war week games makes this a killer deal :applause:

[quote name='MarkHawk']Does anyone know if I can buy these as gifts? I'd love to get World and Conflict for me and about 8 friends for Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they have a gift option on checkout. Pretty sure you just have to include an e-mail of the person. Obviously they would get the e-mail right away though so if you wanted to save it until December and not an early gift you could just make a bunch of accounts, buy the game on each account and then give them the account details to download it at Christmas.

$15 for three of Sid Meier's games (CivIV, Pirates, and Railroads) seems to be borderline illegal. Anyone who considers themselves a gamer better own at least one of those...

So many tempting games. Whoever hasn't played Supreme Commander and has even the slighest interest, jump on this deal. Both the original game and its fantastic expansion pack for $5 is just nuts. I guess that could be said for most of these deals.

I jumped in for Titan Quest myself. The demo was quite solid, and after playing the God of War games recently I can't get enough of the Greek mythology setting. It's also my first purchase from Direct2Drive, so I'm curious how easy/frustrating the experience will be.

bread's done
Back