War Week & CAG Contest - 5 Weeks of $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct2Drive

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5198]9145[/IMG-R]Celebrate 5 Years of Direct2Drive with 5 Weeks of downloadable games for $5. Each week features a new genre of games to choose from. Buy one game and get a chance to win all 50.

Week 1: Ubisoft and great strategy titles
Week 2: Action
Week 3: RPG /MMO
Week 4: Indie
Week 5: War

:pc: $5 Downloadable PC Games at Direct Drive

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='saad77']So, apparently the reason i couldn't buy anything was that the "system" flagged me for a "random security sweep". But whatever, they got back to me pretty quick and i'm happily downloading my games now! Still not sure if i should get Titan Quest or Mount and Blade....or maybe Battlestations pacific or warhammer....sigh, so many games, so little time.[/QUOTE]

I opened a customer service ticket this morning and haven't heard back from them, yet. When did you open your ticket?

Or is there a number I can call?

Oh, man, I saw their initial sale, then forgot all about it for a month. Sad that I missed NWN2. :( Oh well.

The problem with the sale now is that there's too many tempting options. Going to pick up CoH, but with X-Com, Beyond Good & Evil, Supreme Commander, World in Conflict... it's hard to chose what to get without spending $30+

[quote name='Coyotezeye']interesting point with the balance being 0 on paypal & not working.. I used paypal just fine & do have money in my account.[/QUOTE]

I bought WiC and Supreme Commander with paypal and everything when smooth. I then went back to D2D to buy Battlestations Pacific and it would not let me with paypal (still have $40 in my paypal). I had to buy BP with my credit card only an hour after using paypal......

Something is just kind of messed up with D2D.... doesn't mean i won't buy from them again or anything. Of course their downloads seem to be random. I downloaded Supreme Commander Forged Alliance in 1 hour, but it took around 4 hours to download Supreme Commander.... they are the same size...... I started SC before and it finished after........

I have found nothing too bad with D2D. As long as they have sales (will only buy digital games if they are discounted than disc version) like steam i will buy from them again. Of course same goes for gamersgate (yay for Civ 4 complete - including colonization for around $12.... so great).

Hows the single player campaigns in WiC, SC and COH since it seems online wise there is not much there for them anymore, atleast without the final xpac

Mount and Blade for $5 is a good price - but keep in mind that there's a multiplayer expansion coming soon. So many games, so little hard disk space...

[quote name='Shinygamer']Hows the single player campaigns in WiC, SC and COH since it seems online wise there is not much there for them anymore, atleast without the final xpac[/QUOTE]

I can't comment on singleplayer as I haven't played them thoroughly, but wanted to toss in a bit on multiplayer since you mentioned lack of online stuff.

CoH is fine, as it does not matter which version you own in regards to multiplayer. If you do not have the latest version, you will still be required to download a fairly extensive patch that adds in all the additional content. You simply cannot access it directly, but it allows you to play against others who do have it. I had an expansion my friends did not, and I was allowed to access the new armies and play against my friends, even though they didn't have it. The community seems pretty decent so far, although admittedly I haven't played within the last month or so.

WiC & SC are the complete edition, so it does have the expansion pack. I just grabbed WiC myself and taking a brief peek at the servers, it seems there are sill a decent amount of servers. SC I know is quite a bit less, as I rarely see more than 15 or so active servers. If you know others with the game though that you can play with regularly, it is well worth it due to the sheer size of some battles.

Quoting some old posts here, but the games in question are still available for $5:

[quote name='primetime']Does Far Cry hold up after this long?[/QUOTE]

I played Far Cry relatively late, and it was still good fun. Pretty too, though I have low standards and a low-spec computer. Still, I think the art holds up nicely, and it's technically advanced enough that you won't feel like you're trapped in the ancient gaming past. I have to admit though, I still haven't finished it... I got to the point at which everyone seems to agree the game goes dramatically downhill, slogged away a bit, and didn't have the motivation to keep going. Still, it was worth it for the first half, and at $5 I'd definitely recommend it.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'm a turn-based strategy neophyte. I love Final Fantasy Tactics, but my knowledge of the genre doesn't extend far beyond that.

Given that, would you fine folks recommend that I get Civilization IV, or the X-COM Complete Pack? Or would that be Sophie's Choice?[/QUOTE]

Civilization IV, for sure. It's very beginner-friendly, but with plenty of scope to go deeper and deeper as your knowlege develops. For obvious reasons it is also much better presented, and while the X-COM games are undisputed classics, they are pretty unwelcoming. No reason not to get both if you're interested, but if it's one or the other, Civ 4 is much less likely to disappoint.

I picked up Civ 4 the first week and have had problems getting it to run on Win 7 64 bit :( I think I can get it running as it's missing the MSVCP71.dll file in Win 7, but haven't spent a lot of time trying to debug yet.

I picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for $5. Awesome deal. Some of the other deals make me wish I hadn't already bought these games!

I'm still on the fence about Titan's Quest (and I know I should figure that one out quick). I know a lot of people have said it's best multiplayer, but the only mp I play are fps. So how's the single player for sustainability? I have played Diablo II, and in that game I would usually get to the third act, decide I didn't like the character I had, then redid it all.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I'm still on the fence about Titan's Quest (and I know I should figure that one out quick). I know a lot of people have said it's best multiplayer, but the only mp I play are fps. So how's the single player for sustainability? I have played Diablo II, and in that game I would usually get to the third act, decide I didn't like the character I had, then redid it all.[/QUOTE]
It's good in singleplayer as well. It has respecs, so if you decide you don't like how you spent your skillpoints, you can throw money at an NPC to reset them. It doesn't let you change your class choices, but it should help if you don't like how that particular character turned out.

Apart from that, pretty similar to Diablo 2 in play. It's the best non-Diablo action RPG of that type.

Darn glad I picked up Mount & Blade.

It boggles my mind that such an awesome creation can be made by a small 2-person team, when games produced by huge international development groups are only somewhat better graphically, and have worse gameplay :applause:

I'll Probably pick up WiC Gold as I know I have the original but I don't think I've got the expansion and may pick up the other two gold despite having them on disc already. Can't beat it for the price.

[quote name='Mysterio']I opened a customer service ticket this morning and haven't heard back from them, yet. When did you open your ticket?

Or is there a number I can call?[/QUOTE]

sorry this is so late, just got home from work.

Anyway,

The thing that sucks about D2D is no CS phone number and they are really vague about the ticketing system. I opened up a ticket and got an automated response about 18 hours later saying that i didn't reply to their suggestions from the auto reply, which i really didn't know i needed to. After I added more info to my ticket, saying pretty much that none of the suggestions applied to me, i got a response about 2 hours later explaining about the security sweep thing. After that i was all clear to buy.

So, the lesson learned here is after opening a ticket, make sure to add to it right away and say that the auto response solutions don't work.

and now i'm off to buy titan quest and mount and blade....sigh....stupid work getting in the way of playing all these great games. *shakes fist at work*

[quote name='Shinygamer']Hows the single player campaigns in WiC, SC and COH since it seems online wise there is not much there for them anymore, atleast without the final xpac[/QUOTE]

WiC still has a good online following, since imho, that was the main point of WiC.

Actually played a couple games this morning after reinstalling...didn't buy it from the sale since I already had the limited edition game.

We need to throw together a thread in the PC section and organize some games, that'd be a damn fine time.

Chronicles of Riddick is a heck of a deal. I'm kind of surprised they've been offering it this whole time.

Two great FPSs for $5 is amazing.

Love the Campaign in CoH and WiC! WiC has a pretty good story and the CG cut scenes are a nice bonus for completing levels. Missions Vary from attack, defend, and protection mostly. It's a good flow but can be a bit tricky at times. Nothing that didn't stop me from beating the game but I failed on a few missions.

CoH's is somewhat the same. I can only speak for the American campaigns though. I Just got the Gold Edition about a month ago and haven't played that one yet. I played through the Single Player American campaign twice. Pretty good. Missions vary as well from all out assult to behind the lines at night. One missions in particular has you defending a hill outpost. I just recall multiple engagements all over the map. It was one of my favorite missions.

Multiplayer for both is great. Especially if you want to battle the computer with friends. I really enjoyed doing that. If you guys really want to learn CoH Multiplayer like a pro while you wait to download and install it then you need to check out my friend Karl's multiplayer tips and tricks.

Check out this Multiplayer how to videos my friend does weekly: http://www.youtube.com/user/KarlRosner#play/playlists

[quote name='saad77']The thing that sucks about D2D is no CS phone number and they are really vague about the ticketing system. I opened up a ticket and got an automated response about 18 hours later saying that i didn't reply to their suggestions from the auto reply, which i really didn't know i needed to. After I added more info to my ticket, saying pretty much that none of the suggestions applied to me, i got a response about 2 hours later explaining about the security sweep thing. After that i was all clear to buy.

So, the lesson learned here is after opening a ticket, make sure to add to it right away and say that the auto response solutions don't work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I thought the same thing: "What didn't I reply to? Oh, you mean the canned response that's appended to the ticket I just submitted right after I submitted the ticket, the stuff to which I'm not alerted? Those canned suggestions?" I, too, replied to their suggestions, so we'll see if they give me actual customer support this round, or if I'll receive another automated response. And they need to update their automated response, because they don't provide an email address and there is no Ticket History link. Sloppy customer support all around.

BTW, this is the first company I've encountered that does not have a customer support phone number. Talk about lazy...

This has been a great promotion... World of Goo I'd been meaning to check out since the demo hit Steam, but a lot of these games, particularly the indies, I had either forgotten about or written off as not worth it... All that changes when you get them for $5 each! I just regret missing some of the chances, I didn't remember to go back and get all the indie titles before that week ended...

I'm sure many people mentioned this, but STALKER: SOC is a fantastic game. It's a game that defies genre, as it mixes first person shooter with some RPG elements all in a sandbox kind of world. It could be said that the game is buggy, and it is, but luckily the game has an amazing community that has created so many patches and mods that fix the game, it's not even an issue anymore. One mod: http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html STALKER Complete 2009, improves the graphics, adds bug fixes, and a TON of other things that make the game even better than it already was.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I'm still on the fence about Titan's Quest (and I know I should figure that one out quick). I know a lot of people have said it's best multiplayer, but the only mp I play are fps. So how's the single player for sustainability? I have played Diablo II, and in that game I would usually get to the third act, decide I didn't like the character I had, then redid it all.[/QUOTE]

Titan Quest and the Immortal Throne expansion is definitely worth it! I know there are people who'll disagree but I love action-rpg games like Diablo II and I really enjoyed this. It is a lengthy game so plenty of content and mythology and it has quite a bit of replayability even though the maps themselves are not randomized. There are a ton of possibilities for character classes since you can chose to focus on one of the masteries or a combination of any two of them. I played both single player and multiplayer and thoroughly enjoyed both. It also does a lot of things better than Diablo II in my opinion.

which of the war games are the best to get. was looking into supreme commander, warhammer and the company heroes gold i believe those are the titles. which are the best for the price?

I bought six games from this sale:

Supreme Commander Gold
Battlestations: Pacific
Titan Quest Bundle
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Sid Meier's Railroads!
Penumbra Collection

All for $30. Not a bad deal.

I think I might be done buying now. Thanks to this sale I picked up:

Mount & Blade
Company of Heroes Gold Edition
World in Conflict Gold Edition
Supreme Commander Gold
Battlestations - Pacific
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2 - Storm of Zehir
Penumbra Collection
Drakensang - The Dark Eye
Elven Legacy
Titan Quest Bundle
World of Goo
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed - Director's Cut
Civilization 4
Sword of the Stars
STALKER
Defense Grid
Age of Conan Hyborian Adventures

I'll be set for awhile.

For those that bought Wic, how do you just play the original game? When I start it it defaults to the soviet campaign.

Picked up more than i probably wanted to but breaking it down into weeks made it easier for me to blow $5-$10 at a time.I Picked up:

Chronicles of Riddick
Drakensang: The Dark Eye
Elven Legacy
Eve Online: The Second Genesis
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Supreme Commander Gold
Titan Quest Bundle
World in Conflict Gold Edition

I meant to post earlier but have been sick and in bed. In the middle of my sick haze I managed to purchase:

Chronicles of Riddick
Supreme Commander Gold
Mount & Blade

I will most likely pick up a few more before it ends.

Great sale & Great contest!

[quote name='dsunshine']got sonic mega collection for 5 bucks[/QUOTE]

What OS/memory are you using? My retail version doesn't like that I have over 2GB of RAM on XP.

Considering the reviews, it seems that they haven't fixed those problems.

[quote name='Sn4tcH']I'm sure many people mentioned this, but STALKER: SOC is a fantastic game. It's a game that defies genre, as it mixes first person shooter with some RPG elements all in a sandbox kind of world. It could be said that the game is buggy, and it is, but luckily the game has an amazing community that has created so many patches and mods that fix the game, it's not even an issue anymore. One mod: http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html STALKER Complete 2009, improves the graphics, adds bug fixes, and a TON of other things that make the game even better than it already was.[/QUOTE]I was so frustrated by the broken nature of the game - well-armed NPCs see you and attack with heavy arms with robotic precision from a mile away when all you've got is a puny pistol with 5 rounds of ammo - that I gave up fairly early. When you can't get thru a gate because there are 8 enemies waiting on the other side that you can't see and can shoot thru a 3" wide slit, FTS! Does this mod do anything about rebalancing the game or is it just a prettifier? I remember DLing some guy's "float32" shader mod that fixed the lighting substantially. When a game requires massive art asset transplants and rebalancing mods to look good be fun, then something's SERIOUSLY wrong.

Thanks for the information about 5$ per game again

Have been playing so much "Mount&Blade" for the last week , almost forgot how my brother found out.

I was about to pay full price for this RPG i was dying to play "Mount and Blade",

thanks to D2D i got it for 5 Dollars instead of paying the full price, which i would have done either which way. Saved me the 25$ for more games.

(Dragon Age : Origins):360:

[quote name='bxkid']which of the war games are the best to get. was looking into supreme commander, warhammer and the company heroes gold i believe those are the titles. which are the best for the price?[/QUOTE]

It's really a question only you can answer based on your tastes. They're all very good games. Supreme Commander takes place on huge maps with hundreds of units, and it can be a very slow game at the start as you tech up. Company of Heroes deals with much faster and more personal skirmishes. Dark Crusade is very similiar to CoH, albeit set in the gothic sci-fi 40k setting.

I'm tempted to say Company of Heroes is the most well-rounded package, as it contains two games, excellent singleplayer, fast-paced action, lots of tactics and strategy, and much beloved multiplayer. But the WWII setting can be, to some people, a big drawback.

None of the games are a bad value at $5. If you're interested in them all enough so you need to weigh the pros and cons, just spend the $15 and get them all. It's worth it.

Going to get:

Company of Heroes
WIC
Beyond Good and Evil
Penumbra Collection

Anyone on the fence about Titans Quest needs to get it if you enjoyed Diablo series even a little. $5 for both games is awesome.

This is weird: I was able to benchmark WIC and do the tutorial, but when I started the campaign, after the narration, it goes to a black screen and that's it. Went back and re-ran benchmark and it didn't stop and give a score, but kept playing out the scenario and I was able fly the camera around. Huh? All my searching has led to either pirates complaining about problems or relating to problems installing from the DVD. My system is newly built, up to date in drivers and more than enough to run the game. What the heck?

Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance has a really LONG singleplayer experience. You can play the storyline from the perspective of each of the factions. You can also download tons of user-made maps from GPGnet and play with or against the AI offline (or people online) in up to 8-army battles.

If for some bizarre reason you don't own Company of Heroes already, you really have no excuse now. Supreme Commander is also worth a lot more than what they're asking.

[quote name='brettsp']For those that bought Wic, how do you just play the original game? When I start it it defaults to the soviet campaign.[/QUOTE]
I came here looking to ask this too. Any luck yet?

It mixes the campaign together. I wondered the same thing and was pretty hard to find an explanation. But yeah you start out as Soviet and then later switch. Or so i think i haven't gotten that far yet... too busy with Supreme Commander

[quote name='Buttons85']Oh well, maybe I'll win it in this contest: :)[/QUOTE]

Civ IV is still there, it is below all of the war games.

I am so torn. On the one hand I really was waiting to see if a good FPS was going to come out, but between Mount and Blade, Titan's Quest, and Company of Heroes...Darn it, cannot decide. Any suggestions? Also, how well does Splinter Cell play on keyboard?

Company of Heroes kicks ass. Amazing way to spend 5 dollars. I would get Supreme Commander but I'm afraid my 9600GT with Athlon x2 4000+ 2.1GHZ won't be able to run it. It can't run the WiC demo at all.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']It's really a question only you can answer based on your tastes. They're all very good games. Supreme Commander takes place on huge maps with hundreds of units, and it can be a very slow game at the start as you tech up. Company of Heroes deals with much faster and more personal skirmishes. Dark Crusade is very similiar to CoH, albeit set in the gothic sci-fi 40k setting.

I'm tempted to say Company of Heroes is the most well-rounded package, as it contains two games, excellent singleplayer, fast-paced action, lots of tactics and strategy, and much beloved multiplayer. But the WWII setting can be, to some people, a big drawback.

None of the games are a bad value at $5. If you're interested in them all enough so you need to weigh the pros and cons, just spend the $15 and get them all. It's worth it.[/QUOTE]

thanks a lot man. i appreciate the reply. they all seem like very good games. im tempted to buy all 3 at $5bucks a piece. your feedback was appreciated :p:bouncy::applause:

[quote name='Spacepest']I'd like to know the answer to this as well. *is a steam avoider*[/QUOTE]
You can redownload the games as many times as you need I have and they download without any kind of launcher. The cd checks are stripped from the exe and you have to be careful when updating that you get a direct2drive specific version if it has one

bread's done
Back